What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Smart Home"....How Far Have You Taken It? Which Platform? (1 Viewer)

Other than that, I subscribe to the subreddit just so I can see when something huge (significant software update) is going to cause a problem with my system.
Thanks for the response. This point about the subreddit seems key for a system like this. It's probably a good option for someone of my tech level. It's not the fire-and-forget option we all hope for but I will definitely look into it if, for no other reason than it is another layer of complication I can insert to make my make my wife view me as more useful.

I often think the only reason she keeps me around is because I'm the only one who knows all the passwords.

For me, I just want to get out of using multiple apps to control the house.
Find any of them that work with Google and it doesn't matter the app that comes with it. You can use Google's app to control it all. I download the app to set up the device, then use Google's Home app and voice command to control it all. I have geeni plugs and will buy geeni outlets/switches when I get around to it. They are pretty good on cost and work well.

Find any of them that work with Google and it doesn't matter the app that comes with it. You can use Google's app to control it all. I download the app to set up the device, then use Google's Home app and voice command to control it all. I have geeni plugs and will buy geeni outlets/switches when I get around to it. They are pretty good on cost and work well.
Of course, and we can substitute Amazon or Apple for Google and you would be right too. Honestly, I think that is the future, rather than a 3rd party hub.

Using lights as an example, I can turn them on and off with Google & Alexa but if I want to create or change "scenes" (ie color schemes) I still need to use the bulb app (presuming color lights are important to me).

Totally a first world problem, but I still hope that the complete integration of these devices occurs in my functional lifetime. And the clock is running out on that.

I love this. There are different versions but this is the one I got.

after I drive away, I can even check if door is up or down. didnt have to buy a whole new opener or anything
Did you post this one earlier in this thread, or maybe one of the other ones I found? I saw it mentioned in one of these threads and would love to hear from someone who has been using it for awhile.

Just asking because I am getting a new garage door in the middle of March and am thinking about openers. How long have you had this unit?

after I drive away, I can even check if door is up or down. didnt have to buy a whole new opener or anything
Did you post this one earlier in this thread, or maybe one of the other ones I found? I saw it mentioned in one of these threads and would love to hear from someone who has been using it for awhile.

Just asking because I am getting a new garage door in the middle of March and am thinking about openers. How long have you had this unit?
So, this is like an add on to a current garage door opener. ive had a few years and its great. you do need to DL thier APP (free) but it works very well.

can open my old *** garage door from anywhere in the world. its kinda like adding a keypad. so you have to press a little button, tell it to connect and boom.

I may have posted it before, especially if this thread is old

If new, then maybe the new openers have it built in too

I have it as well and can echo @KGB approval

We love it b/c my wife can open the garage door for the kids coming home from school while she is at work. Or if I'm out of the house and say my father wants to come over and grab a tool.

It works just as he said, we have very old garage door openers, and these pair to the openers just like adding a new car remote would. We have 2 doors/openers and 1 on each opener. The app shows both doors and we can tell when they are open or closed.

SimpliSafe alarm system

Amazon Alexa

Nest

Im not paranoid enough to be overly concerned about overblown privacy implications, and lose out on the convenience of these types of systems. They’re pretty neat.
I’m not concerned much about personal security - leave my car unlocked in carport, front door unlocked except when sleeping, and no security system/cameras…

But I don’t really want Big Tech tracking me or my habits. Only smart device is a Roomba, and most of the location services on my phone are disabled.

So I guess I value privacy more than safety?

I do like the idea of saving energy and water though, so maybe should look into a smart switch and sprinkler system.

One Smart Home thing I have done recently was install a smart timer on the outlet that our low voltage landscape light transformer plugs into in our garage. Before we had a manual on/off timer that we'd constantly have to fiddle with to adjust the on-at-dusk, off-at-sunrise based on daylight savings as well as just the days getting longer/shorter over the course of the year. With the smart timer, I linked it to Alexa in our case and created a routine to power it on at sunset and power it off at sunrise and it just adjusts the actual times automatically now. Wish I would have done this a long time ago!

Love geeni smart outlets. If anyone is looking for a different garage opener solution, Wyze has one too. I don’t know much about it, but I love Wyze cams and sensors.

I’m not sure I can make a 87-YO house smart.
If your wiring isn't updated and doesn't have neutrals run to the switch boxes you won't be able to use smart switches. But you would be fine with smart plugs. Battery operated devices and smart bulbs would be fine but I don't recommend either because they are a pain to keep up with in any quantity.

I’m not sure I can make a 87-YO house smart.
If your wiring isn't updated and doesn't have neutrals run to the switch boxes you won't be able to use smart switches. But you would be fine with smart plugs. Battery operated devices and smart bulbs would be fine but I don't recommend either because they are a pain to keep up with in any quantity.

I think now there are even ways to make a home smart without the neutral wire. Shelley switches? But yeah, it ain't easy if you want it in the walls. Smart plugs and bulbs get the job done too.

We were talking smart homes at the Super Bowl party, the hosts were proud of their automations to set scenes, and seemed most impressed when I told them all the lights in my house automatically turn on to 100% if a smoke detector goes off.

I've got this version in 2017:

What I absolutely love is that I can set it to alert me if the garage door has been open for XX amount of minutes. I always back into our driveway. I can't tell you how many times I've opened the garage door, walked out to my car, all while saying to myself, "Remember to close the garage, remember to close the garage," and then have driven off without closing the garage because, since I'm not looking directly at it, it doesn't exist. I set it so that if the garage door remains open after 30 minutes, I get an alert on my phone that 1) reminds me I left the garage door open, and 2) reminds me I probably have dementia.

We are preparing for a remodel and I want to figure out my smart home integration chapter and verse before we start opening walls.

I am already fairly heavily integrated with Ring having a doorbell and three cameras outside.

I have about 10 Philips Hue bulbs but the cost of outfitting my whole home with them has always made me hesitate about moving forward with them. Ron Swanson recommends going with Z-Wave or Zigbee ready outlets and switches and just using simple bulbs. It makes sense from a cost and integration standpoint.

This rabbit hole runs deep.

I have used 3-4 of the various smart light switches. By far, my preference is Lutron Caseta smart switches. I have them all over our house, mainly controlling recessed lighting, but also chandeliers and ceiling fans. Our house was built in 1991, so it's not that old, and I was able to wire the switches myself. A cool thing is that if you have a three-way switch (where two switches control one light, such as at the top and bottom of stairs), you can wire one switch to the electrical, and then get a second switch that connects to the first switch via wifi (like a remote control). You can then mount the second switch on the wall like any other light switch.

Anyone have recommendations on smart locks? We are starting up a vacation rental 5 hours away that I want to be able to manage the lock on remotely, but every lock I read about has people with issues about having to re-install or re-sync the unreliable locks regularly, which obviously wouldn't work for us since we won't be there in person often.
I've had good luck with the Kwikset 910 zwave locks paired to SmartThings and the custom lock manager app. But yes. It has to be pieced together at this point. Nothing simple or elegant.
Is this still the landing spot?

Anyone have experience with Ultraloq? Wirecutter seems to like it.

I am looking to put four new exterior door locks in and...I don't f'n know anymore...

Anyone have recommendations on smart locks? We are starting up a vacation rental 5 hours away that I want to be able to manage the lock on remotely, but every lock I read about has people with issues about having to re-install or re-sync the unreliable locks regularly, which obviously wouldn't work for us since we won't be there in person often.
I've had good luck with the Kwikset 910 zwave locks paired to SmartThings and the custom lock manager app. But yes. It has to be pieced together at this point. Nothing simple or elegant.

I am looking to put four new exterior door locks in and...I don't f'n know anymore...
I have two.....they were the first models that came out. The locks work perfectly. I did struggle with getting them "online" to control while away from the house. The wifi connectors that you had to plug into the wall weren't the best. I don't know how they've changed in the last 3-4 years, but I can't imagine them worse than before. As a lock, they are awesome and everything bluetooth worked perfectly as well as fingerprint recognition.

I have two.....they were the first models that came out. The locks work perfectly. I did struggle with getting them "online" to control while away from the house. The wifi connectors that you had to plug into the wall weren't the best. I don't know how they've changed in the last 3-4 years, but I can't imagine them worse than before. As a lock, they are awesome and everything bluetooth worked perfectly as well as fingerprint recognition.
Thanks. I just the Pro WiFi and installed it. I am going to test it for the next month with a particular eye towards battery life (that's why I hated my August, I had to swap batteries every couple weeks if I was using it on WiFi).

Ultimately I will need four new locks, I'm hoping the Ultraloq lives up to the reviews.

Does your model use 4 AA batteries? How do they hold up?

Do you use geofencing (if that was an option)?

I don't use the geofencing. Battery life is pretty good. They lasted probably 18 months, but give you ample warning to replace.

I don't use the geofencing. Battery life is pretty good. They lasted probably 18 months, but give you ample warning to replace.
18 months 😲

Great to hear!

18 months 😲

Great to hear!
That, of course, is not while on WIFI.....I can't get it to stay connected and we don't lock the door a ton (it's the door between our garage and the house.

18 months 😲

Great to hear!
That, of course, is not while on WIFI.....I can't get it to stay connected and we don't lock the door a ton (it's the door between our garage and the house.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I currently have the WiFi on as I hope to use a couple IFTT features.

Maybe I should have gotten the Z-Wave version, I believe that is a lower battery drain.

18 months 😲

Great to hear!
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I currently have the WiFi on as I hope to use a couple IFTT features.

Maybe I should have gotten the Z-Wave version, I believe that is a lower battery drain.
It still shouldn't require replacing the batteries once a month...that's absurd. Do they still have the wifi in a plug you have to plug into the wall? WIFI talks to that device, then that device uses bluetooth to talk to the lock. That's how mine work, so the battery is really supporting bluetooth, not WIFI (if that makes sense).

18 months 😲

Great to hear!

It still shouldn't require replacing the batteries once a month...that's absurd. Do they still have the wifi in a plug you have to plug into the wall? WIFI talks to that device, then that device uses bluetooth to talk to the lock. That's how mine work, so the battery is really supporting bluetooth, not WIFI (if that makes sense).
WiFi is built in to the lock on this model (though they still have a model with the WiFi bridge too)

18 months 😲

Great to hear!

WiFi is built in to the lock on this model (though they still have a model with the WiFi bridge too)
:thumbup: Interested to know how it works out.

I just put in two of the Yale Assure 2s, which is essentially the August locks. They work great, the only thing I wished is I could set up more than one auto-unlock per house. But other than that, I really love it.

I just put in two of the Yale Assure 2s, which is essentially the August locks. They work great, the only thing I wished is I could set up more than one auto-unlock per house. But other than that, I really love it.
I feel burned by August but admittedly I was using one of their older models (the 3 iirc). Stupid off brand battery size and battery killing WiFi drain rendering that feature unusable. But I imagine they have addressed those issues over the past few years.

I feel burned by August but admittedly I was using one of their older models (the 3 iirc). Stupid off brand battery size and battery killing WiFi drain rendering that feature unusable. But I imagine they have addressed those issues over the past few years.
Yep, it's 4 double A batteries and you can use different modules. I have the wifi module now but when the matter module is released I can swap it out.

Thanks. I just the Pro WiFi and installed it. I am going to test it for the next month with a particular eye towards battery life (that's why I hated my August, I had to swap batteries every couple weeks if I was using it on WiFi).

Ultimately I will need four new locks, I'm hoping the Ultraloq lives up to the reviews.
I was thinking about a smart lock for an exterior gate, which leads to a small fenced-in area adjacent to our front door. My main goal is to foil solicitors , but I’d also like it to have keyless entry, the ability to be locked/unlocked remotely, and a long battery life. Seems like August is mentioned frequently, as is Ultraloq. This looks pretty good, too.

Anything else I should consider?

I was thinking about a smart lock for an exterior gate, which leads to a small fenced-in area adjacent to our front door. My main goal is to foil solicitors , but I’d also like it to have keyless entry, the ability to be locked/unlocked remotely, and a long battery life. Seems like August is mentioned frequently, as is Ultraloq. This looks pretty good, too.

I'm loving the U-Tec. I bought the first in April and I now have four of them and have had to change the batteries in one unit, one time so far. And they have been operating on WiFi the whole time. I have never had to use the key but it is nice to know it is there if I need it.

I have a similar set-up as you with one on the gate to our enclosed front yard, I set up an access code for our UPS guy for package delivery. Everyone else has to use the doorbell. I suggest setting up more than one fingerprint for your account, using the same finger. I seldom have trouble with the fingerprint but occasionally I have resorted to using the number pad and my entry code. As with many fingerprint scanners if it is particularly dry outside it helps if you wipe your finger on the outside of your nose before using the scanner. The oils help improve the resolution of the fingerprint.

All-in-all I am a big fan of my U-Tec locks.

I'm loving the U-Tec. I bought the first in April and I now have four of them and have had to change the batteries in one unit, one time so far. And they have been operating on WiFi the whole time. I have never had to use the key but it is nice to know it is there if I need it.

I have a similar set-up as you with one on the gate to our enclosed front yard, I set up an access code for our UPS guy for package delivery. Everyone else has to use the doorbell. I suggest setting up more than one fingerprint for your account, using the same finger. I seldom have trouble with the fingerprint but occasionally I have resorted to using the number pad and my entry code. As with many fingerprint scanners if it is particularly dry outside it helps if you wipe your finger on the outside of your nose before using the scanner. The oils help improve the resolution of the fingerprint.

All-in-all I am a big fan of my U-Tec locks.
Thanks! Did you get the U bolt pro?

Users who are viewing this thread