What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (3 Viewers)

Overall, a good episode.

Sofia was into it and she can read cue cards without seeming so obvious (looking at you Mr. De Niro).

A couple of momentum killing skits (like always) but the show had a good rhythm.

I was thinking that Ed O'Neill would be a good host, and was surprised to discover that he has hosted the show before: January 13th 1990. I think I have seen every episode of the show, but I draw a total blank on O'Neill's gig.

What in the flying #### is this bull####? It's literally 5 Justin Bieber copy cats and a cow bell? For ####s sake Lorne, have some pride.

I was reading that Wiig and Samberg would be joining Sudeikis in leaving the show after this season. Something the person writing that article discussed was ditching the hosting spot. Sure you get your Timberlakes who kill but too often you get people that just kill the show. And it contributes to the writers writing to suit the host not the players so much. I think I agree with the idea that the show would be better if people just made cameos in general rather than be shoe horned into the ensemble.

I was reading that Wiig and Samberg would be joining Sudeikis in leaving the show after this season. Something the person writing that article discussed was ditching the hosting spot. Sure you get your Timberlakes who kill but too often you get people that just kill the show. And it contributes to the writers writing to suit the host not the players so much. I think I agree with the idea that the show would be better if people just made cameos in general rather than be shoe horned into the ensemble.
I think that's an awful idea, and I would be disappointed to see it happen. The hosts are a huge part of the show. These are highly successful entertainers and even if they're off there's usually something entertaining about it. There have always been "bad" hosts, part of the charm. The problem with the show right now starts and ends with writing. There are no good writers in this cast like there have been in the past, and the writing team isn't good enough to come up with enough stuff to keep the show consistent.I generally like Samberg's and Sudeikis' shtick though.. their departure is not going to help matters.

I think that's an awful idea, and I would be disappointed to see it happen. The hosts are a huge part of the show. These are highly successful entertainers and even if they're off there's usually something entertaining about it. There have always been "bad" hosts, part of the charm. The problem with the show right now starts and ends with writing. There are no good writers in this cast like there have been in the past, and the writing team isn't good enough to come up with enough stuff to keep the show consistent.I generally like Samberg's and Sudeikis' shtick though.. their departure is not going to help matters.
Yeah I would agree that when there is a strong cast and strong writing the hosts are cool. But I don't think we have had that cast that writes for itself and stands up for itself in a while. Unless that changes I think the guest hosts aren't really working in general. As I said there are obvious examples of good hosts but they are getting to be few and far between.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I would agree that when there is a strong cast and strong writing the hosts are cool. But I don't think we have had that cast that writes for itself and stands up for itself in a while. Unless that changes I think the guest hosts aren't really working in general. As I said there are obvious examples of good hosts but they are getting to be few and far between.
Yeah I know where you're coming from but I think if that's what has to happen then the show is finally going down the ####ter for good.

Regardless of whether it'd be good for the show or not, I think the likelihood of them getting rid of the host is slim to none. As mentioned in that article, the 2 highest rated shows of this season were when Lindsay Lohan and Charles Barkley were hosting. Two terrible hosts, but simply having people host who are frequently in the social consciousness greatly increases the ratings for the show. For that reason alone, I say the chances of Lorne cutting off the hosts is very unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of whether it'd be good for the show or not, I think the likelihood of them getting rid of the host is slim to none. As mentioned in that article, the 2 highest rated shows of this season were when Lindsay Lohan and Charles Barkley were hosting. Two terrible hosts, but simply having people host who are frequently in the social consciousness greatly increases the ratings for the show. For that reason alone, I say the chances of Lorne cutting off the hosts is very unlikely.
And what did those tuning in get? Reinforcement for why they don't usually watch the show.

And what did those tuning in get? Reinforcement for why they don't usually watch the show.
NBC doesn't strike me as the network that is patient enough to worry about long term payoffs.

I can see why Sudeikis and Wiig would leave as both have established themselves in movies now, but I cant say the same for Samberg. I dont even remember seeing him in a movie since his small part in I Love You, Man and that was like 3 years ago. Unless he has starring role in a new TV show lined up, doesnt make a lot of sense.

I can see why Sudeikis and Wiig would leave as both have established themselves in movies now, but I cant say the same for Samberg. I dont even remember seeing him in a movie since his small part in I Love You, Man and that was like 3 years ago. Unless he has starring role in a new TV show lined up, doesnt make a lot of sense.
He has been in a lot more than that.He was in several things last year both as an actor and as a voice actor. He has several things coming out this year as well. And really the digital shorts he has been doing with Lonely Island are getting him nominated for Grammys and getting massive hits when released. He also has an album coming out with Lonely Island IIRC. Seems like he has some stuff going on to move to.

He has been in a lot more than that.He was in several things last year both as an actor and as a voice actor. He has several things coming out this year as well. And really the digital shorts he has been doing with Lonely Island are getting him nominated for Grammys and getting massive hits when released. He also has an album coming out with Lonely Island IIRC. Seems like he has some stuff going on to move to.
Since 2010, he's appeared on 1 episode of a handful of TV shows, and been in 2 romcom's, 1 where he was the 10th actor billed, and another where he wasnt even in the first 15 billed. I do agree with the Lonely Island success though.Then again, he is apparently co-starring in an Adam Sandler movie this summer, so that should set him up for the next decade plus.

Since 2010, he's appeared on 1 episode of a handful of TV shows, and been in 2 romcom's, 1 where he was the 10th actor billed, and another where he wasnt even in the first 15 billed. I do agree with the Lonely Island success though.Then again, he is apparently co-starring in an Adam Sandler movie this summer, so that should set him up for the next decade plus.
He got in the Sandler gang did he? Yeah that should keep him employed for a while.

i think its a result of virtually unlimited avenues for comedy now via the web. I routinely laugh morelooking at the picture thread at e more than i do iwatching an episode of snl.

I kinda like Drunk Uncle.

The guy who plays Michael Cera in the horrible Zooey skit is pretty funny.

Filmography2013 The To-Do List (post-production)Van 2012 Hotel Transylvania (post-production)Jonathan (voice) 2012 That's My Boy (post-production)Todd 2005-2012 Saturday Night Live (TV series)Various / Rick Santorum / Nicolas Cage / …– Josh Brolin/Gotye (2012) … Various– Sofia Vergara/One Direction (2012) … Various– Jonah Hill/The Shins (2012) … Various– Lindsay Lohan/Jack White (2012) … Kid Rock / Buddha / Various– Maya Rudolph/Sleigh Bells (2012) … VariousSee all 135 episodes » 2012 Celeste and Jesse ForeverJesse 2012 Portlandia (TV series)Andy– Mixology (2012) … Andy 2009-2011 American Dad! (TV series)Antichrist / Rudy the Raptor– Season's Beatings (2011) … Antichrist (voice) (uncredited)– Rapture's Delight (2009) … Rudy the Raptor (voice) / Antichrist (voice) 2011 What's Your Number?Gerry Perry 2011 Friends with BenefitsQuincy 2011 Adventure Time (TV series)Bear #3 / Party Pat– Belly of the Beast (2011) … Party Pat / Bear #3 2010 Parks and Recreation (TV series)Carl Lorthner– Park Safety (2010) … Carl Lorthner 2010 The Sarah Silverman Program. (TV series)Troy Bulletinboard– Smellin' of Troy (2010) … Troy Bulletinboard 2010 Freaknik: The Musical (TV movie)Chad (voice)

I've watched three skits in a row now for the first time in 10 years and there was nary a guffaw... and I'm drunk. Jesus, this show is horrible.

I've watched three skits in a row now for the first time in 10 years and there was nary a guffaw... and I'm drunk. Jesus, this show is horrible.
Opening was great.Californians was hilarious (didn't even mind Hader channeling his inner Fallon)

GoT pretty good

youtube parodies, meh

Not sure who the hell Gotye is, but pretty good show

Opening was great.Californians was hilarious (didn't even mind Hader channeling his inner Fallon)

GoT pretty good

youtube parodies, meh

Not sure who the hell Gotye is, but pretty good show
Well, if it's a pretty good show thus far I can only assume the first half is carrying it because the little I've seen is ####.

Users who are viewing this thread