What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (4 Viewers)

NBC ran some kind of "SNL's funniest moments of the last 10 years" show- IIRC, it lasted an hour or more, but really should've been cut down to half an hour. If it takes 10 years to fill up a half hour of decent comedy, something's not working. Well.

By the way, people have been saying that "SNL" sucked since the mid-80's. It's the same as it's ever been.
Pretty much. I remember people decrying it during the infamous Anthony Michael Hall, Joan Cusack, Robert Downey Jr., Terry Sweeney year (1986?). That was probably its absolute lowest point.

Best thing to happen to SNL in year's is the advent of TiVO. Instead of never watching it I can just fast forward through most of it.

SNL has a huge alumni, most of who are not working much, that for the life of me I don't understand why they just don't have each of them come in for a skit a season.

Would it be that difficult to have J. Lovitz, C. Kattan or a Molly Shannon come in each season to do one skit?

Be great to see characters that we always like plus the surprise of who would be on the show would be interesting.

By the way, people have been saying that "SNL" sucked since the mid-80's. It's the same as it's ever been.
Pretty much. I remember people decrying it during the infamous Anthony Michael Hall, Joan Cusack, Robert Downey Jr., Terry Sweeney year (1986?). That was probably its absolute lowest point.
that season (Michaels 1st yr back after quitting in '80) was so bad that they killed off the entire cast but Lovitz in a "fire" in the last episode of the season. the Doumanian year (the first without Michaels & the one for which i auditioned) will always be the nadir for me, at least until she was fired and the retool released Murphy from the "featured" status she kept him pinned to (though now she runs comedy seminars & spends most of the time taking credit for his career).

Betty White Owned, other than that, my SNL viewings consist of renting the Best of's from the local video store. Sad state it is.

SNL has a huge alumni, most of who are not working much, that for the life of me I don't understand why they just don't have each of them come in for a skit a season.Would it be that difficult to have J. Lovitz, C. Kattan or a Molly Shannon come in each season to do one skit?Be great to see characters that we always like plus the surprise of who would be on the show would be interesting.
That is an excellent idea. Really intriguing.Betty White's show was not only good because of her but also because of the return of Shannon, and Ana Gasteyer and Maya Rudolph. I'd love to see Jan Hooks pop up. She's an underrated all-time cast member.

i would say t.v. in general has lost it's luster.
Um, no. Most of the top-10 best shows of all-time have aired in the past decade.
link?
The Wire, The Shield, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm. There's seven of the top 10 all-time right there.Then there's a ton of other great shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Boardwalk Empire, Terriers, Deadwood, Justified, Community, Parks and Recreation, Treme, The Office, Modern Family, South Park, 24 and Lost were flawed but groundbreaking and on and on. The past decade or so has been the golden age for television, completely the opposite of your assertion (and SNL).

Um, no. Most of the top-10 best shows of all-time have aired in the past decade.
link?
The Wire, The Shield, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm. There's seven of the top 10 all-time right there.Then there's a ton of other great shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Boardwalk Empire, Terriers, Deadwood, Justified, Community, Parks and Recreation, Treme, The Office, Modern Family, South Park, 24 and Lost were flawed but groundbreaking and on and on. The past decade or so has been the golden age for television, completely the opposite of your assertion (and SNL).
i fell asleep to a sopranos rerun tonight, had only seen a few episodes before. i have never seen any of the others. :rolleyes: a better list

my list:

mash

rockford files

star trek

blacksheep squadron

i love lucy

bugs bunny

sanford & son

hogan's heros

mission impossible

link?
:rolleyes: There's decent TV still but don't confuse this stuff with the best ever. We could all list different top 10s but for the masses, TV Guide's list is a decent start:Seinfeld (NBC)I Love Lucy (CBS)The Honeymooners (CBS)All in the Family (CBS)The Sopranos (HBO)60 Minutes (CBS)Late Show with David Letterman (CBS)The Simpsons (Fox)The Andy Griffith Show (CBS)Saturday Night Live (NBC)Half of those aired this decade, but none started in the 2000s.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Bobby Moynihan has to be one of the worst cast members of all time. I get irritated every time I see him.

link?
:lmao: There's decent TV still but don't confuse this stuff with the best ever. We could all list different top 10s but for the masses, TV Guide's list is a decent start:Seinfeld (NBC)I Love Lucy (CBS)The Honeymooners (CBS)All in the Family (CBS)The Sopranos (HBO)60 Minutes (CBS)Late Show with David Letterman (CBS)The Simpsons (Fox)The Andy Griffith Show (CBS)Saturday Night Live (NBC)Half of those aired this decade, but none started in the 2000s.
For the masses? The masses would say that McDonald's is pretty good eats.

link?
:lmao: There's decent TV still but don't confuse this stuff with the best ever. We could all list different top 10s but for the masses, TV Guide's list is a decent start:Seinfeld (NBC)I Love Lucy (CBS)The Honeymooners (CBS)All in the Family (CBS)The Sopranos (HBO)60 Minutes (CBS)Late Show with David Letterman (CBS)The Simpsons (Fox)The Andy Griffith Show (CBS)Saturday Night Live (NBC)Half of those aired this decade, but none started in the 2000s.
Considering that list was released in 2002, that is to be expected.

Boy how can Comedy Central skewer FoxNews so easily and consistently and SNL whiffs so badly on their ONE ATTEMPT

DVR it every week just for Weekend Update. Everything thing else is just painful.
Bingo. Seth can hold his own with any of the former SNL anchors, IMO.This show sucking is nothing new. It's been called Saturday Night Dead since before Eddie Murphy joined the cast.

K, I'm watching for the second week in a row.

Agree with Pickles about Cee-Lo, but the lead in skit was halfway decent in concept. I also think Cee-Lo was actually singing, so I do give a little credit there. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell any of those chicks were playing their instruments, mostly due to the keyboard player's preoccupation with fixing her hair while trying to play. The lead guitar chick was smoking.

I've smiled a couple of times. The Jewish sketch was decent, but only because the songs were funny, not because the skit was anywhere near decent.

I'll be surprised if I ever watch again.

Oh, I did giggle when the chair in the Pee Wee Herman sketch got pissed off at Anderson Cooper for trying to have a seat. I'm a bit embarrassed for laughing.

Oh, I've always thought Gweneth was gorgeous, but I'd still like to punch her in the nose, whatever that means.

Users who are viewing this thread