What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (2 Viewers)

I wonder how much of that is Hendrix dying so young and never getting a chance to become démodé or release mediocre work.
To be fair, it appears that Hendrix's early death prevented his eventual collaboration with Miles Davis.

That could have netted another 10 years of genius.

Lol. His last album reached 100 million streams in a week. 
I didn't say he isn't popular. He is 41 years old and most of his fans are millenials. People in their late 20s-mid 40s who grew up listening to Kaney. Teens aren't big Kanye fans- that is their parents music. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeezy is the inevitable outgrowth of what hiphop has done to itself. I understand the emotional criteria behind rap as well as someone like me can and totally get the cashing in on one's 'tude & style as an MC. But it's been a long while since i've understood the artistic criteria. It ain't changed. In the first 20 yrs, new syncopations and rhyming structures were hitting us bop-bam-bim. Maybe those maxed out (Childish Gambino's front-of-the-beat-Maori-war-chant & Cardi B's gutterhooch are the only fresh i've heard this decade and the latter is so repulsive it's actually a step back) but listening to hiphop now is like defending a 1990s pass offense - that's all you got?!

And that's my fat-old-white-man point - now that hiphop is no longer about the art, breaking molds, being the answer to rock&roll, it sounds just like President Donald J. Trump - spoiled, scared bully braggadocio in the same-ol' pathetic delivery pattern that the speaker has fallen in love with, which highlights the immaturity and utter lack of originality in the content. And Kanye West is busting his butt to prove my point by blowing the end out of the fact that its no longer an art but a celeb culture.

Omg Jonah hill as the Jewish 6 year old was the funniest thing I’ve seen in awhile, Leslie Jokes obviously agreed.

I am just catching up now but the opening skit roasting FN was so smart and so fn funny
except that Bill Maher did the "who's in the caravan" bit (referring to Laura Ingraham as "the first draft of Megan Kelly" in the process) a lot funnier on Friday. if a doddering oenophile wasn't running the show, that woulda got rewrote licketysplit but Michaels must have succumbed to the "plz, pop-pop, that's all we got," pleas from his staff.

except that Bill Maher did the "who's in the caravan" bit (referring to Laura Ingraham as "the first draft of Megan Kelly" in the process) a lot funnier on Friday. if a doddering oenophile wasn't running the show, that woulda got rewrote licketysplit but Michaels must have succumbed to the "plz, pop-pop, that's all we got," pleas from his staff.
I don’t watch or find Mahr funny. Also they work on the show during week, it doesn’t seem to make sense to change it less than 24 hours out based on a Bill Mahr bit nobody saw. 

Ilov80s said:
I don’t watch or find Mahr funny. Also they work on the show during week, it doesn’t seem to make sense to change it less than 24 hours out based on a Bill Mahr bit nobody saw. 
at least until very recently, cold opens got rewritten right up to SNL airtime, and WEU beyond it. Jim Downey & Norm MacDonald didn't START writing theirs til Saturday morning to ensure freshness. And Real Time is seen live by a million & half people and hit on youtube by about the same number on average. and his pre-election show, like him or not, was brilliant

GB Pete Davidson for realz
That was one of my favorite WU commentaries of all time.  Love how loose it got, and how he saved a couple haymakers to roast himself.  Not sure if my favorite was Pence’s brother watching the episode of This Is Us where Jack dies, or calling himself a Dr Seuss character who went to prison.  

at least until very recently, cold opens got rewritten right up to SNL airtime, and WEU beyond it. Jim Downey & Norm MacDonald didn't START writing theirs til Saturday morning to ensure freshness. And Real Time is seen live by a million & half people and hit on youtube by about the same number on average. and his pre-election show, like him or not, was brilliant
Good Bill Maher:

I was raised half-Jewish and half-Catholic. When I’d go to confession, I’d say, “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned… and I think you know my attorney, Mr. Cohen.”

Good Bill Maher:

I was raised half-Jewish and half-Catholic. When I’d go to confession, I’d say, “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned… and I think you know my attorney, Mr. Cohen.”
his first bit, that - did it on Carson. all downhill from there?

totally get not liking him, but his pre election Real Time was funnier & more evocative than entire seasons of Noah, Meyer, Colbert

I didnt watch the episode, but saw the Davidson/Crenshaw joke. I dont know why SNL thought that was in good taste. 

SNL is mainly unfunny. Every couple of months you'll get a genuinely good skit. David S Pumpkins brought that show back to relevancy.

6 year old Jewish kid was funny in spurts, but Leslie Jones needs to stop breaking.
I know he'd done this character before, and I started laughing as soon as he was on screen.  And it was still funnier than I expected.

But agree on Leslie - actors breaking used to be hilarious because it just never happened.  Then came Jimmy Fallon and now it's a couple of times an episode, or anytime Pete Davidson is in an actual skit.

This episode was not very funny-especially compared to the incredibly Jonah Hill episode. However the moment between Crenshaw and Davidson was both funny, mature and rather significant. It was pretty impressive.

I didn't see the skit, but I saw Crenshaw on some TV morning news show while I was at the DR office this am. I rolled my eyes at first b/c the lower 3rd said something about SNL...."ugh  this is still going on?????" 

But when i sat down I saw that he had went on the show and thought it was pretty cool. 

At the end Crenshaw said something to the effect of, "its just humor and jokes. People really need to stop finding things to get offended about." 

Bravo, I'm a Crenshaw fan now. 

Claire Foy was not funny, but was really an excellent performer.  Never broke character, never flubbed lines, good with a lot of accents.  Not the greatest material, but she did a good job of letting everyone else operate.

Users who are viewing this thread