What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (5 Viewers)

In laws put it on tonight.  Justin Timberland is on. Gave it a watch.  Might be an old one.

This is funny? He just did a skit dressed as a cup of soup with Santa.  Horrible.  What's funny about this?

Really bad performance by Greta Van Fleet which is a shame because they are pretty good. I have seen them live and musically they were great. The vocals are off the chart. My one complaint of the live show was the singers stage presence in my opinion was boring and just not good.

This seemed to be magnified on SNL. I also thought they looked nervous and did not come through in the big lights. I hope they can overcome that because they have a lot of potential.

Really bad performance by Greta Van Fleet which is a shame because they are pretty good. I have seen them live and musically they were great. The vocals are off the chart. My one complaint of the live show was the singers stage presence in my opinion was boring and just not good.

This seemed to be magnified on SNL. I also thought they looked nervous and did not come through in the big lights. I hope they can overcome that because they have a lot of potential.
backstory on the lead singer

I don't watch SNL but searched out the Greta Van Fleet segment on youtube. Damn, that was bad although admittedly I only watched about half of it. I don't know much about them outside of the one other song but that definitely doesn't inspire me to look for more.

Greta Van Fleet is a damn good band. Sorry to hear their performance last night was so poor. 
I caught part of their set at ACL and had a good time...but they did a lot more jamming than song playing. I think the first two songs took over 20 minutes. Maybe the SNL 4 minute format defanged them. 

I thought the earthquake at the name changing department skit was funny. (I guess I still have the same sense of humor I had in junior high school.)

I thought the earthquake at the name changing department skit was funny. (I guess I still have the same sense of humor I had in junior high school.)
i don't know if i would have cared for it any more, but it was really derivative of 2 previous skits with randall fields reporter character.

Don’t know if I am more or less partial to Greta Van Fleet now that I know they have a Hobbit as a frontman.
I was thinking the exact same thing. “Hey look, it’s Bilbo!”  

I watched both performances and couldn’t figure out if they were good or not. 

When the first song started, I thought cool, a rock band on SNL, and with a female singer. Then the guy started singing and I wished there was a female singer.

Mule-aney was great. Also the fire skit, the boomer game show skit and Kool Aid Man Gillette spoof were all pretty damn funny

Time to stop the opening "political" skits... haven't been funny since the Bush and Clinton years.
They lean on it way too much though I disagree with your statement. The McCarthy-Spicer and Damon-Kavanaugh skits were 2 of the funniest things SNL has done and deserve to be in the SNL political HoF. 

Time to stop the opening "political" skits... haven't been funny since the Bush and Clinton years.
it's funny & weird how quickly Baldwin's Trump has gone lame. The President is so much more preening & unstable now that it faded the original impression right out.

And recent political material just points to what a treasure SNL had all those years with Jim Downey. Not only a brilliant writer with a savage understanding of political bull#### but, unlike most comedy writers, was not a leftist so his stuff never skewed.

it's funny & weird how quickly Baldwin's Trump has gone lame. The President is so much more preening & unstable now that it faded the original impression right out.

And recent political material just points to what a treasure SNL had all those years with Jim Downey. Not only a brilliant writer with a savage understanding of political bull#### but, unlike most comedy writers, was not a leftist so his stuff never skewed.
I wish they would do a Reagan thing where they actually show that Trump is a genius and it is all an act.  I think that the commentary about the damage that he is doing would be that much more incisive if it had all of the fanfare and nonsense stripped away.

I wish they would do a Reagan thing where they actually show that Trump is a genius and it is all an act.  I think that the commentary about the damage that he is doing would be that much more incisive if it had all of the fanfare and nonsense stripped away.
Hard to sell. Easier might be two teenage Russian prankers who got Trump on the birther thing waybackwhen as part of a virtual-world game and it took off so well for DJT that he's let them run his life ever since. Beavisov & Buttheadsky Run the World

Last edited by a moderator:
Long Ball Larry said:
wikkidpissah said:

The thing about the Ronald Reagan "Mastermind" sketch is that there was an element of truth to it. Reagan played folksy in his speeches, but behind closed doors he was cunning. And he knew a lot more about Iran-Contra than he would have the public believe. So, SNL took that grain of truth and exaggerated it to its logical conclusion.

But how can you do that with Trump when almost no one in his own party thinks that he is secretly a cunning genius?

Actually, this is part of the reason why Alec Baldwin's impersonation isn't as funny as it used to be. He nailed Trump on the first try, and there's really nowhere else to go but down. There's nothing else beneath the surface which can be mined for humor.

The thing about the Ronald Reagan "Mastermind" sketch is that there was an element of truth to it. Reagan played folksy in his speeches, but behind closed doors he was cunning. And he knew a lot more about Iran-Contra than he would have the public believe. So, SNL took that grain of truth and exaggerated it to its logical conclusion.

But how can you do that with Trump when almost no one in his own party thinks that he is secretly a cunning genius?

Actually, this is part of the reason why Alec Baldwin's impersonation isn't as funny as it used to be. He nailed Trump on the first try, and there's really nowhere else to go but down. There's nothing else beneath the surface which can be mined for humor.
That's why i'd go completely the other way - POTUS being gamed by a coupla Russian teens. It's 100x more believable than evil genius

Recently, i saw an interview with the woman (Barbara Res) who was the MVP of Trump Tower for 20 yrs and she says DJT was the same brand of enfant-terrible he's proven to be in the Oval Office for as long as she knew him. The most telling part was that watching others, even partners, succeed made him seethe. He'd either buy out the partners or tantrum over any success of his rivals, even if he was in no way involved in the matter.

That's where Baldwin's Trump failed in the end - his subject is not evil. Just a brat. The first novel i ever attempted - i'm not built for longform - was about a real-life olden-times con man who figured in the American AND French Revolution who was also a figure in Catherine the Great's overthrow of her husband. Tsar Peter Paul was a imbecile, an inbred moron, who re-enacted the victories against him by his idol, Frederick of Prussia, in the Seven Years War (rooting against his own country's troops) with toy soldiers in a giant ballroom battlefield (he actually court-martialled & executed a rat for eating some of his army men) and dry-humping female courtiers in the style of Cossacks raping villagers yet his 15 year marriage reportedly went unconsummated (after seven years, a cousin was chosen to sire an heir). Without the imbecilia, it's the kind of behavior (spoiled child meets Scarface) i see from our fearless leader and why the guy who does The President Show is much more spot-on than Baldwin, even though the SNL host made such a strong first impression

Last edited by a moderator:
I was expecting Greta Van Fleet to play their huge hit that put them on the map but they didn’t. I’m kind of glad because I haven’t searched out their other stuff so i saw two songs I didn’t know. 

At first I was just trying to take it all in and attempt to understand. And I only watched it once so far. But I think they are brilliant, show huge range and are so unique with his voice talent. It may take a number of listens to sincerely appreciate. 

Those above saying how terrible it was, as if it could even begin to approach the depths of dredge that Meek Mill, CardiB, Awkwafina, Anderson Paak, Kanye exhibit? Not even close. 

I was expecting Greta Van Fleet to play their huge hit that put them on the map but they didn’t. I’m kind of glad because I haven’t searched out their other stuff so i saw two songs I didn’t know. 

At first I was just trying to take it all in and attempt to understand. And I only watched it once so far. But I think they are brilliant, show huge range and are so unique with his voice talent. It may take a number of listens to sincerely appreciate. 

Those above saying how terrible it was, as if it could even begin to approach the depths of dredge that Meek Mill, CardiB, Awkwafina, Anderson Paak, Kanye exhibit? Not even close. 
Sorry dude, but they suck.

Users who are viewing this thread