What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I come home from vacation to discover.... (1 Viewer)

GL Rayderr!

Sorry to hear. The unknown is scary but 8 weeks is a hell of a jump start on finding a new gig, silver lining and all.

Good luck FBG brethren.
This. Ohio is a beautiful State--good luck!
it's among the top 50 for sure.
Which seven do you find worse? MaxThreshold, on 28 May 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:I'm 98% sure you don't get a new warranty with a replacement product. The warranty starts from the purchase date of the original product. It doesn't start over with a replacement.

WTF?
I posted from my iPhone. I only typed the unbolded part. I have no idea where the other stuff came from. I remember the warranty discussion, but that was months ago and there is no way it was in my memory. I am shucked.
Uh oh.

The fappening part 2

I haven't updated my Linkedin profile in a couple of years but I still get 2-3 solicits through them a month. I have a few friends in the recruiting industry who use it pretty exclusively. I only bring this up bc I saw you mention careerbuilder.

I haven't updated my Linkedin profile in a couple of years but I still get 2-3 solicits through them a month. I have a few friends in the recruiting industry who use it pretty exclusively. I only bring this up bc I saw you mention careerbuilder.
Never really quite "got" linkedin. But putting my resume up there now.

It's occurred to me, that I have not gotten a job that I actually sought out in 16 years. The current job and 2 previous all had the company or recruiters approach me about the position.

Well the interview was..... weird.

Basically the job requirements were literally being changed by the government as we were interviewing. So many of the duties listed in the job posting are gone and some other ones are now there in their place. The interview was the hiring manager and the lead engineer. They seemed to have some concerns that I don't quite meet the newer qualifications yet at the same time kept trying to sell me on the job. "This job would really improve your resume!"

So, no idea how I did. Said they would talk it over with the prime contractor and then get back in touch to schedule an in person interview.

Oh, and probably the most amusing part is that their contract expires at the end of November, but the contract is going up for bids, so conceivably I could take the job and be back in the same position after November or be working for a different company at that point.

Basically the job requirements were literally being changed by the government as we were interviewing. So many of the duties listed in the job posting are gone and some other ones are now there in their place. The interview was the hiring manager and the lead engineer. They seemed to have some concerns that I don't quite meet the newer qualifications yet at the same time kept trying to sell me on the job. "This job would really improve your resume!"

So, no idea how I did. Said they would talk it over with the prime contractor and then get back in touch to schedule an in person interview.

Oh, and probably the most amusing part is that their contract expires at the end of November, but the contract is going up for bids, so conceivably I could take the job and be back in the same position after November or be working for a different company at that point.
Ask how good the severance package is.

Do you have email addresses to send the follow up/thank you notes this evening?

Not to the 2 that interviewed me. Just the HR person who set up everything.

I would ask the HR person for their emails and send them a note as soon as you get it.

Not that unusual for government contracts. It is possible another company will come in and under bid, then ask to hire you at a lower rate. Not the greatest for job security. If you get a good relationship with the government workers you support, it could work out well and they will find a way to keep you.

Last edited by a moderator:
avoiding injuries said:
Rayderr said:
avoiding injuries said:

I would ask the HR person for their emails and send them a note as soon as you get it.
Did an interview myself and just asked the HR person to forward my thank you note.

Well, guessing I didn't get the job since they re-listed over the weekend. Not terribly upset as the job was rather different than what was advertised and not nearly as good as a fit.

In other news, apparently the gov't realized they ####ed up and have given us a stay of execution for at least another month and a half.

Just got a call from one of the evening ift shguys. Corporate says we are officially good "through beyond October 24." So yay, more time. But with the wording, I wonder if it means we close on October 25th.

Just got a call from one of the evening ift shguys. Corporate says we are officially good "through beyond October 24." So yay, more time. But with the wording, I wonder if it means we close on October 25th.
Hopefully you'll get more, similar wording in the future extending the cutoff again and again.

So, the shutdown order has been officially lifted. They'll try again, but not for a while it seems (next year at the earliest it seems.) And oddly, today I get a call back about the Engineer job. Kinda figured they had moved on. Guessing they couldn't find anybody better. Now they want to set up an in person interview. Not sure I really want it now...

So, the shutdown order has been officially lifted. They'll try again, but not for a while it seems (next year at the earliest it seems.) And oddly, today I get a call back about the Engineer job. Kinda figured they had moved on. Guessing they couldn't find anybody better. Now they want to set up an in person interview. Not sure I really want it now...
Right. Since your current job sounds so stable.

Actually, with the Engineer contract expiring at the end of November, it actually is the more stable job right now.

How do you feel about the shutdown being lifted?

How do you feel about the shutdown being lifted?
Pretty effing great. I really do like my job.

Actually, with the Engineer contract expiring at the end of November, it actually is the more stable job right now.
Take the interview. You have nothing to lose. If you don't want the job once it is offered just say no thank you

Wait. So that job is for two months? :confused: Yeah. Never mind.

Wait. So that job is for two months? :confused: Yeah. Never mind.
Maybe longer. they couldn't give me any details on the request for bids for the contract. So company could win it back, another company could win and keep the position but less pay, or maybe the new contract has the position removed.

Having just interviewed 3 well qualified people for a job, i would say the deciding factor was confidence. Make sure you have that in your interviews

Great news about the reprieve amigo. Gives you time to get prepared. Not sure about your field, but LinkedIN has been phenomenal in executive recruiters reaching me. I use LinkedIn Sales Navigator myself to search for candidates, and our in-house recruiter uses the LinkedIN recruiting tool as well. I recommend using the extra time you have wisely. Build your profile. Reach out to your network. Get physically and mentally fit. Make finding your next full time job your part time job now.

It's pretty easy for me now to let non-performing people go. But there is nothing worse than letting good people go because even after all of the stack ranking exercises the #'s don't add up. There is no loyalty. So do what you can to take control of your own destiny.

Good luck amigo.

Went ahead and said yes to the second interview.

So here's the situation with pros and cons.

Curernt job:

Pros: Awesome job for a great company with good pay and good benefits.

Cons: Pretty likely to be going away at some point (looking like early next year at the earliest.) Just don't know when. But apparently there is a 50/50 possibility of still having a job after that happens.

Potential job:

Pros:IF they follow through on the training and certification, would be a huge boost to my career and allow me to go elsewhere in a much wider field instead of just the small subsection I'm currently in.

Cons: Contract expires end of November, may or may not cause job security issues.. Job is focused on an area that I know I can do and have done in the past, but not something I can say I feel 100% confident about. The aspects of the job that were listed that actually caught my attention and played to my strengths are no longer going to be required for the position. Some travel (unknown amount) involved. Would drop back to 2 weeks vacation (currently at 3, go up to 4 in June if the job lasts that long)

Unknowns: Pay, benefits, hours, how much travel.

Basically the unknown factor of current job is what's muddling things up. If I knew for sure it was going away with no rolling us over to new jobs within a year, I'd jump at the potential job. But don't know that, and I'd hate to leave a great job if I don't need to.

Went ahead and said yes to the second interview.

So here's the situation with pros and cons.

Curernt job:

Pros: Awesome job for a great company with good pay and good benefits.

Cons: Pretty likely to be going away at some point (looking like early next year at the earliest.) Just don't know when. But apparently there is a 50/50 possibility of still having a job after that happens.

Potential job:

Pros:IF they follow through on the training and certification, would be a huge boost to my career and allow me to go elsewhere in a much wider field instead of just the small subsection I'm currently in.

Cons: Contract expires end of November, may or may not cause job security issues.. Job is focused on an area that I know I can do and have done in the past, but not something I can say I feel 100% confident about. The aspects of the job that were listed that actually caught my attention and played to my strengths are no longer going to be required for the position. Some travel (unknown amount) involved. Would drop back to 2 weeks vacation (currently at 3, go up to 4 in June if the job lasts that long)

Unknowns: Pay, benefits, hours, how much travel.

Basically the unknown factor of current job is what's muddling things up. If I knew for sure it was going away with no rolling us over to new jobs within a year, I'd jump at the potential job. But don't know that, and I'd hate to leave a great job if I don't need to.
It doesn't sound like this second job is worth jumping for unless you can get some guarantees. That's good for you. Ask for more more vacation and get it in writing that they will facilitate your training as part of your compensation. If they aren't willing to do that, then just keep looking. You have some time to find something better. Don't compromise.

Contract going up for bids and another company winning them is kinda common in the contracting world. Gone through it twice myself. 1 time I kept my job, the other time I didn't (as the contract specified less positions.) Key is really finding out if the position is indeed included in the new contract. That's where it gets fuzzy. Current contract states they need what they listed. New contract states they need what they told me they were looking for in the interview. So the potential to get screwed over is there, especially since they are currently not getting paid for that position while it's vacant.

FWIW, my interview was back on the 4th. They kept relisting the job through the end of last week. To me, that kinda says they were hoping for better but are settling for me because they couldn't find better. Not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling.

So bunch of interesting events today.

Had the 2nd interview for the engineer job. Interesting in how they were almost trying to convince me that I am perfect for the job. They are much more confident in my ability to do the job than I am. Basically I got the job. but not officially. Project manager said he'd let HR know and I should hear from them tomorrow or next week. Still don't know what the salary is as HR handles that sort of thing, not the Project manager. So guess I wait to see what they offer. Travel is minor sounds like 1-2 nights a month.at most. Will want me to get CCNA certification and they will get my clearance bumped up.

Another company contacted me today for another video job in the same complex. Will find out more about that position tomorrow.

And finally, heard today that the gov't has decided to go ahead and pick up the final year of our contract. Of course that doesn't prevent them from trying to shut down our office (or the network) again..

Had the 2nd interview for the engineer job. Interesting in how they were almost trying to convince me that I am perfect for the job. They are much more confident in my ability to do the job than I am. Basically I got the job. but not officially. Project manager said he'd let HR know and I should hear from them tomorrow or next week. Still don't know what the salary is as HR handles that sort of thing, not the Project manager. So guess I wait to see what they offer. Travel is minor sounds like 1-2 nights a month.at most. Will want me to get CCNA certification and they will get my clearance bumped up.

Another company contacted me today for another video job in the same complex. Will find out more about that position tomorrow.

And finally, heard today that the gov't has decided to go ahead and pick up the final year of our contract. Of course that doesn't prevent them from trying to shut down our office (or the network) again..
Government shutdown? Pfft. It'll never happen.

Government shutdown? Pfft. It'll never happen.
I'm a contractor (and still would be.) gov't wants to get off the contractor network on to their own hence why they want us shut down. We actually were not affected by the last shutdown as we are 'essential'. And the agency I'd be working for in the new job also wasn't affected as they are funded by Non appropriated funds.

Well, after the guy making it sound like a done deal, I haven't heard anything from the HR dept. and they job has been relisted. ####ers.

Meanwhile the other job seems to be a herding cats situation as the company's recruiter can't seem to get everyone together at one time to do the interview. FML.

Going ####### nuts here.

Just got a call from the boss saying that all the other offices are now closing on November 30. Ours is closing on October 24.

Now, the contract specifically says the gov't can't shut down any of the offices without 60 days notice. Well, technically they just made it for the other offices. But again, giving us far less. (Boss suspects they're justifying the date by saying the original kill order was on August 24, even tho that one was lifted.)

Meanwhile, asked the person I interviewed with about the engineer job when I would be hearing something. They told me they are waiting until they find out their status contract. Not entirely sure I believe that as I have seen the job listed this week. The other company I interviewed hasn't called me back.

Getting ####### tired of DoD ####### us over. [/rant]

ETA: even better, the gov't actually just put out a new timeline for closures last week that didn't have us closing until End of march. Bunch of ####### liars in the gov't.

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh.

sorry to hear this, ray.

you were just sitting pretty a few days ago, with work in hand and other possibilities in the bush. Wait... **** in hand, phallus in the bush? something. but sounds like there's other options out there for you once you know the situation and can set your energy fully towards it. (**** in bush?)

good luck- seriously. I've gone through lay-offs and know the stress and anguish that go with the whole process- hate hearing about one of us having to go through it too.

The whole freaking situation is just absurd, and we're the ones getting dicked around.

I know we got the nice thread on how the affordable healthcare act is the perfect example of government ineptness, but compared to what's going on with the DoD network, Health care act went off smoothly.

The gov't decided that its time to get off of the contractor owned and operated and switch to one that's gov't owned and operated. I don't have an issue with that. Of course, being that the gov't is filled with nothing but administrators, no one knew how to build a communications network, so they hired a contractor company to build it for them.

Well, it's about 6x over budget right now, but the company says everything is working awesome. We talk to people who are in on the beta test and they say the opposite. But DoD hears everything is great, and says "great! let's switch over!" which led to the first shutdown announcement. Well shortly before we were supposed to be shutdown, some gov't people did a walk through and discovered that not only did the secure side stuff not work, but it did not even exist. They did not even have the equipment let alone have it hooked up. So, that's what got the shutdown lifted. That was only a few weeks ago.

Last week, the contractor briefed the gov't again saying "Hey, we're not going to be ready to go until March. And apparently DoD's response is to make them do everything in 2 months. ####### brilliant.

AS one of my coworkers said, it has to be either willful ignorance or deliberate sabotage at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread