What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So now psychiatrists want to replace the term "pedophile" (2 Viewers)

'17seconds said:
You aren't comparing it to gay acceptance are you?
Fox seems to be doing just that:
Critics of the effort also note that the movement likens its fight for pedophilia acceptance to society's more recent embrace of homosexuality. They warn of a slippery slope to a time when pedophilia is "just another lifestyle choice" that won't warrant criminal charges—and will leave young children at risk.
The group that wants to reduce pedohphilia stigma are the ones comparing their cause to gay acceptance. Fox is just reporting on it.

Ephebophilia refers to attraction to children in the 15-19 range.
Weird. I don't think of anyone 17 or older as a child. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure I think of a 15 year old as a child.
Well you know what that means now and you can put a name to it.Seriously though I think that one is a very tricky definition. I guess the best way to look at it is someone who is fixated with people in the age range and doesn't stray out of it. Not someone who finds the occasional 17 year old attractive. Otherwise we got a lot of patients to tend to.

'CrossEyed said:
'Jewell said:
Mental Health Group Looks to Remove Stigma From Pedophilia
Why would you want to remove the stigma from pedophilia?
Don't you know? They're just misunderstood. They were born that way. Who are we to judge? Live and let live. :wall:
It is entirely likely that these people are born that way. Clearly there is something wrong with their wiring. IIRC CE you are in the "sexual orientation is a choice" camp, let's not go back and forth on that one. The issue here is the name change.My guess is that the motivation for this name change is to help encourage those who have these thoughts to seek help before they act on them. Something as simple as a name change could make it easier for some people to seek help.

'CrossEyed said:
'Jewell said:
Don't you know? They're just misunderstood. They were born that way. Who are we to judge? Live and let live. :wall:
It is entirely likely that these people are born that way. Clearly there is something wrong with their wiring. IIRC CE you are in the "sexual orientation is a choice" camp, let's not go back and forth on that one. The issue here is the name change.My guess is that the motivation for this name change is to help encourage those who have these thoughts to seek help before they act on them. Something as simple as a name change could make it easier for some people to seek help.
Good point.

Paving the Way for Condoning Child Rape

By Dr. Keith Ablow

Published August 25, 2011 | FoxNews.com

There were those who scoffed at my contention that Abercrombie and Fitch, the edgy retailer, was paving the way for mainstream pedophilia when it began marketing breast enhancing bikinis to girls as young as eight.

There were those who railed against my contention that the French edition of Vogue was kindling pedophilia and embracing it with its racy depictions of 10-year-old Thylane Lena-Rose Loubry-Blondeau in heavy makeup, a plunging neckline and stiletto heels.

There were others who suggested that I had a problem with breastfeeding, in general, when I took issue with The Breast Milk Baby, which encourages little girls to wear a vest that has flowers in place of larger nipples and nurse the doll.

But, now, there should be no doubt that our culture is poised to begin embracing pedophilia as a lifestyle choice, just like homosexuality. A group of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals called B4U-Act, which has representatives from Harvard and Johns Hopkins, gathered recently in Baltimore to organize their push to change the negative perception of pedophiles and encourage them to get help in a nonjudgmental environment.

While B4U-Act is not representative of mainstream psychiatry, and while the American Psychiatric Association (APA) did not participate in the group’s meeting, psychiatry has a history of caving into cultural pressure to stop defining controversial illnesses as pathological. You won’t even find ego-dystonic homosexuality—meaning, homosexual impulses that cause an individual to feel distressed and which that individual does not want to give into—in the DSM, anymore.

Some of the goals of B4U-Act are worthwhile. Encouraging pedophiles to seek psychiatric treatment to resist their pathological urges is a good thing, not a bad thing. I wish every pedophile would get help before ever hurting a child. And the group is absolutely right in asserting that some pedophiles—perhaps the vast majority of pedophiles—never actually do commit a crime. They live with their erotic desires for children without ever acting on them.

Dr. Fred Berlin, a Johns Hopkins psychiatrist, bonafide genius, and truly decent person, is quoted on the website of B4U-Act. His treatment protocols for sexual offenders and others with such impulses do indeed vastly reduce the likelihood that such individuals will hurt children, and his efforts are to be lauded.

But what the members of B4U-Act fail to realize is that there are some impulses worth repressing from consciousness—like the impulse to rape children. There are even thoughts worth repressing—like fantasies of having sex with children. When a society stigmatizes certain actions and thoughts—thereby driving them out of mainstream consciousness and into the shadows—that isn’t always a bad thing.

The group also fails to recognize that there are consequences to removing all moral judgment from a profession. Psychiatry, for example, has become hostile to suggesting that alcoholics are actually choosing their drug over their families and jobs and other responsibilities—and that making that choice is morally reprehensible. Why isn’t it all right for psychiatrists to take a hard line against pedophilia and see it for what it is: a desire to violate and injure children that is both pathological and morally reprehensible and to be resisted by every means possible?

I’ve told more than one of my patients that his real diagnosis, given his behavior in embracing drugs, instead of his family or employment, shouldn’t be alcohol dependence or heroin dependence, but “scumbag.” And I then have quickly added that they can do better than that—that they must choose to do better than that, because, deep inside, they are good and decent and lovable. I tell them they can find the courage to do the right thing, instead of the wrong thing. Yes, I sometimes use the word “wrong.” I judge them. It helps.

I would not hesitate to tell a pedophile that his desires are to injure and torture a child—that they are morally wrong—and that it is his responsibility to ferret out the source of those destructive desires and extinguish them. I wouldn’t for a moment commiserate about how hard it is to live in a society that criminalizes the acts he is moved to commit.

Suggesting to pedophiles that their thoughts and impulses are “understandable” and that they won’t be judged by the members of B4U-Act is the kind of message that encourages them to push harder to change what they think of as unfair laws that keep them from their base desires.

I hate to say I told you so, but . . . well . . . OK, I won’t.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/25/paving-way-for-condoning-child-rape/#ixzz1W4m0FUle

Last edited by a moderator:
But, now, there should be no doubt that our culture is poised to begin embracing pedophilia as a lifestyle choice, just like homosexuality.
There is absolutely no evidence of this happening - renaming something does not make it acceptable, and no one is trying to make pedophilia acceptable.Cross why do you think the author is trying to compare pedophilia with homosexuality?

Paving the Way for Condoning Child Rape

By Dr. Keith Ablow

Published August 25, 2011 | FoxNews.com

There were those who scoffed at my contention that Abercrombie and Fitch, the edgy retailer, was paving the way for mainstream pedophilia when it began marketing breast enhancing bikinis to girls as young as eight.

There were those who railed against my contention that the French edition of Vogue was kindling pedophilia and embracing it with its racy depictions of 10-year-old Thylane Lena-Rose Loubry-Blondeau in heavy makeup, a plunging neckline and stiletto heels.

There were others who suggested that I had a problem with breastfeeding, in general, when I took issue with The Breast Milk Baby, which encourages little girls to wear a vest that has flowers in place of larger nipples and nurse the doll.

But, now, there should be no doubt that our culture is poised to begin embracing pedophilia as a lifestyle choice, just like homosexuality. A group of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals called B4U-Act, which has representatives from Harvard and Johns Hopkins, gathered recently in Baltimore to organize their push to change the negative perception of pedophiles and encourage them to get help in a nonjudgmental environment.

While B4U-Act is not representative of mainstream psychiatry, and while the American Psychiatric Association (APA) did not participate in the group’s meeting, psychiatry has a history of caving into cultural pressure to stop defining controversial illnesses as pathological. You won’t even find ego-dystonic homosexuality—meaning, homosexual impulses that cause an individual to feel distressed and which that individual does not want to give into—in the DSM, anymore.

Some of the goals of B4U-Act are worthwhile. Encouraging pedophiles to seek psychiatric treatment to resist their pathological urges is a good thing, not a bad thing. I wish every pedophile would get help before ever hurting a child. And the group is absolutely right in asserting that some pedophiles—perhaps the vast majority of pedophiles—never actually do commit a crime. They live with their erotic desires for children without ever acting on them.

Dr. Fred Berlin, a Johns Hopkins psychiatrist, bonafide genius, and truly decent person, is quoted on the website of B4U-Act. His treatment protocols for sexual offenders and others with such impulses do indeed vastly reduce the likelihood that such individuals will hurt children, and his efforts are to be lauded.

But what the members of B4U-Act fail to realize is that there are some impulses worth repressing from consciousness—like the impulse to rape children. There are even thoughts worth repressing—like fantasies of having sex with children. When a society stigmatizes certain actions and thoughts—thereby driving them out of mainstream consciousness and into the shadows—that isn’t always a bad thing.

The group also fails to recognize that there are consequences to removing all moral judgment from a profession. Psychiatry, for example, has become hostile to suggesting that alcoholics are actually choosing their drug over their families and jobs and other responsibilities—and that making that choice is morally reprehensible. Why isn’t it all right for psychiatrists to take a hard line against pedophilia and see it for what it is: a desire to violate and injure children that is both pathological and morally reprehensible and to be resisted by every means possible?

I’ve told more than one of my patients that his real diagnosis, given his behavior in embracing drugs, instead of his family or employment, shouldn’t be alcohol dependence or heroin dependence, but “scumbag.” And I then have quickly added that they can do better than that—that they must choose to do better than that, because, deep inside, they are good and decent and lovable. I tell them they can find the courage to do the right thing, instead of the wrong thing. Yes, I sometimes use the word “wrong.” I judge them. It helps.

I would not hesitate to tell a pedophile that his desires are to injure and torture a child—that they are morally wrong—and that it is his responsibility to ferret out the source of those destructive desires and extinguish them. I wouldn’t for a moment commiserate about how hard it is to live in a society that criminalizes the acts he is moved to commit.

Suggesting to pedophiles that their thoughts and impulses are “understandable” and that they won’t be judged by the members of B4U-Act is the kind of message that encourages them to push harder to change what they think of as unfair laws that keep them from their base desires.

I hate to say I told you so, but . . . well . . . OK, I won’t.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/25/paving-way-for-condoning-child-rape/#ixzz1W4m0FUle
Do you honestly believe that "child-rape" will EVER be condoned in "our culture"? Come on, dude.

'CrossEyed said:
'Jewell said:
The point is that making judgement has no bearing on whether they are born that way or not, it's something that can cause great harm to defenseless children. Throw that out the window. It needs to be punished and/or treated.Totally different from homosexual consenting adults.

'17seconds said:
'CrossEyed said:
'Jewell said:
Interesting that this question wasn't answered. Or maybe the word should be "unsurprising".

Weird. I don't think of anyone 17 or older as a child. Thinking about it, I'm not even sure I think of a 15 year old as a child.
Well you know what that means now and you can put a name to it.Seriously though I think that one is a very tricky definition. I guess the best way to look at it is someone who is fixated with people in the age range and doesn't stray out of it. Not someone who finds the occasional 17 year old attractive. Otherwise we got a lot of patients to tend to.
I've actually tried to use this definition in some criminal cases as one of my arguments a particular defendant shouldn't have to register as a sex offender. I can tell its concept is foreign to most, including judges and lawyers. I've even had one psychiatrist and one psychologist testify about it and they did explain it s someone who has a "normal" sexual appetite but that his own maturity never really advanced past being a teen so they still are attracted to teenage girls.

'17seconds said:
The point is that making judgement has no bearing on whether they are born that way or not, it's something that can cause great harm to defenseless children. Throw that out the window. It needs to be punished and/or treated.Totally different from homosexual consenting adults.
I am not sure how your response relates to my post?I don't recall comparing pedophilia to homosexuality and I don't think the "nature vs nurture" debate is called for here.

'honky kong said:
'17seconds said:
Interesting that this question wasn't answered. Or maybe the word should be "unsurprising".
As unsurprising as the next time he objects to the WBC or some other Christian group being held up as indicative of Christians in general. Some bigots just refuse to see the words "consenting adults" in their slippery slope crusades.

But then again I don't care much about people's thought crimes.
What the psychiatrists are saying here is that if we can understand these people better, perhaps we can help to prevent them from actually committing crimes. As much as the idea of "accepting" pedophilia disturbs me, I understand their motivation, and I can even intellectually sympathize with them (though not emotionally.)
I don't get the whole "understanding" thing here. If someone has theses urges they are human and are able to resist base urges. One of the good parts of being sentient. Heck, I love bank heist movies. When I go into a bank I'll typically look around for the cameras and figure out what I would do to hit the place, Point Break style. Thought crime - I'd never actually do a bank heist (I like my freedom). These folks should be the same - I don't care what they think. As long as they don't act on whatever they are thinking.
But has your desire to rob banks had nearly the impact on your life that your desire to boink hot chicks has? As a mostly heterosexual male board, think about how many amazingly stupid decisions and actions in which our penises have been major, if not sole, contributors.Obviously, acting on their urges makes pedophiles pretty vile, horrible people. But I do have some level of admiration for those that strongly desire children sexually and are able to completely relegate everything to their imaginations.

'honky kong said:
'17seconds said:
Hadn't noticed it until now. I would not compare the 2 actions. Pedophilia is far, far worse.As for the desire of some to have it become acceptable, not sure. I would think there would be some parallels.

'honky kong said:
'17seconds said:
Hadn't noticed it until now. I would not compare the 2 actions. Pedophilia is far, far worse.

As for the desire of some to have it become acceptable, not sure. I would think there would be some parallels.
You would think that but there aren't.

But then again I don't care much about people's thought crimes.
What the psychiatrists are saying here is that if we can understand these people better, perhaps we can help to prevent them from actually committing crimes. As much as the idea of "accepting" pedophilia disturbs me, I understand their motivation, and I can even intellectually sympathize with them (though not emotionally.)
I don't get the whole "understanding" thing here. If someone has theses urges they are human and are able to resist base urges. One of the good parts of being sentient. Heck, I love bank heist movies. When I go into a bank I'll typically look around for the cameras and figure out what I would do to hit the place, Point Break style. Thought crime - I'd never actually do a bank heist (I like my freedom). These folks should be the same - I don't care what they think. As long as they don't act on whatever they are thinking.
But has your desire to rob banks had nearly the impact on your life that your desire to boink hot chicks has? As a mostly heterosexual male board, think about how many amazingly stupid decisions and actions in which our penises have been major, if not sole, contributors.Obviously, acting on their urges makes pedophiles pretty vile, horrible people. But I do have some level of admiration for those that strongly desire children sexually and are able to completely relegate everything to their imaginations.
The main difference being that the first is the natural (and socially acceptable) order of things. The second is known, proven to be incredibly harmful to the victim. If someone has these urges they just have a burden to bear. I don't feel sorry for them but do certainly appreciate those people who keep it internalized.

'honky kong said:
'17seconds said:
Hadn't noticed it until now. I would not compare the 2 actions. Pedophilia is far, far worse.As for the desire of some to have it become acceptable, not sure. I would think there would be some parallels.
Pedophilia is not an action it's a feeling.

'honky kong said:
'17seconds said:
Hadn't noticed it until now. I would not compare the 2 actions. Pedophilia is far, far worse.

As for the desire of some to have it become acceptable, not sure. I would think there would be some parallels.
:shock: I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and simply ask what those parallels would be. Perhaps I simply misunderstand your post.

'honky kong said:
'17seconds said:
The confluence of both has done wonders for getting the Church's name out there...

Pedophilia is not an action it's a feeling.
Semantics. It's a feeling that becomes an issue when it results in actions. Pretty much everything goes from thought to feeling to action.
i'm sure there another Preacher Rape joke in there, but I'm too tired to try...
Pretty much the most disgusting reply anyone has ever made to a post of mine on this board. Congratulations.

:shock: I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and simply ask what those parallels would be. Perhaps I simply misunderstand your post.
Simply saying that homosexuality is something that was once pretty much universally looked on as abnormal behavior. At some point people who would have been considered a fringe group started pushing for acceptance. Same thing appears to be happening here.Again, not comparing the feelings/actions, just the process of trying to normalize it.

Simply saying that homosexuality is something that was once pretty much universally looked on as abnormal behavior. At some point people who would have been considered a bring group started pushing for acceptance. Same thing appears to be happening here.Again, not comparing the feelings/actions, just the process of trying to normalize it.
Gotcha. :thumbup:

:shock:

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and simply ask what those parallels would be. Perhaps I simply misunderstand your post.
Simply saying that homosexuality is something that was once pretty much universally looked on as abnormal behavior. At some point people who would have been considered a bring group started pushing for acceptance. Same thing appears to be happening here.
What you describe doesn't really seem to be happening, though. There's a difference between wanting to bang dudes and actually banging dudes, just like there's a difference between wanting to bang little kids and actually banging little kids. The gay rights movement has been pretty successful in getting people to acknowledge that actually banging dudes is acceptable behavior. As a result, places that try to teach gay people not to act on their gay feelings are often considered offensive or homophobic by much of society.

By contrast, the shrinks in this article seem to acknowledge that actually banging little kids is unacceptable behavior. They want to teach people not to act on their sexual attraction to kids.

There's another specialized term that we use to refer to people who are attracted to 18-19 year olds. They're referred to as "normal."
Yes, once you move from hanging out near high schools to colleges you are doing it right.

Users who are viewing this thread