What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So where does this leave Willy Parker? (1 Viewer)

The Steelers passing on RB and trading up to get Santonio Holmes signals a huge change in offensive philosophy.

The Steelers have run the ball in the neighborhood of 60% of their offensive plays the past two seasons and have been very successful doing so. They could have replaced Bettis with White in round 1 and continued to do things the same way. But by adding Holmes, they clearly are looking to take advantage of their rising star QB.

I definitely think Pittsburgh will be throwing around 50% of the time now. So in that regard, I don't think Parker sees a big spike in carries. But he should get 250+ again and may see more opportunities to catch the ball in 2006.

The Steelers passing on RB and trading up to get Santonio Holmes signals a huge change in offensive philosophy.

The Steelers have run the ball in the neighborhood of 60% of their offensive plays the past two seasons and have been very successful doing so. They could have replaced Bettis with White in round 1 and continued to do things the same way. But by adding Holmes, they clearly are looking to take advantage of their rising star QB.

I definitely think Pittsburgh will be throwing around 50% of the time now. So in that regard, I don't think Parker sees a big spike in carries. But he should get 250+ again and may see more opportunities to catch the ball in 2006.
:goodposting:

i heard them saying that Duce Staley is coming back in the best shape of his life for next season on Pittsburgh TV and radio..sounds promising..they dont need White.. Staley should be good if he doesn't have injury problems and u cant prove that he will. Parker/Staley/Haynes = we dont need a RB.

i heard them saying that Duce Staley is coming back in the best shape of his life for next season on Pittsburgh TV and radio..sounds promising..they dont need White.. Staley should be good if he doesn't have injury problems and u cant prove that he will. Parker/Staley/Haynes = we dont need a RB.
Well thats what Craig Wolfley and Tunch Ilkin were saying..and im sure they know more then you do about what the Steelers are doing in the offseason. im not saying its gonna happen but if Staley doesnt get injuried and compliments Parker well i will laugh @ you.. have a good day.

If Staley does come back in great shape (believe it when I see it), he could definitely be a factor as a receiver. But it's hard to see Parker not getting the bulk of the 1st and 2nd down work now.

Never would of thought someone would say something like that.

Parker/Staley/Haynes = we dont need a RB.
Pitt O-line = no need for an RB on day one of the draftFWIW, I disagree with other posters on Cowher becoming pass happy. His ball control/defensive philosophy just won him a Super Bowl, all the major compnents of the team remain in tact, there is no need for major changes. They may pass a little more in 2006, but I don't think we'll see Coach Chin turn into Martz.

Parker/Staley/Haynes = we dont need a RB.
Pitt O-line = no need for an RB on day one of the draftFWIW, I disagree with other posters on Cowher becoming pass happy. His ball control/defensive philosophy just won him a Super Bowl, all the major compnents of the team remain in tact, there is no need for major changes. They may pass a little more in 2006, but I don't think we'll see Coach Chin turn into Martz.
Well, I agree with you overall, but in the playoffs they were very pass happy--it "threw" the competition off. That said, I do not think they will become pass happy as a mater of course this year. I think the lesson was learned under Mularky in the failed Maddox experiement a few years back. They still have some big backs left like Cedric Humes and Gerald Riggs Jr who I'd like for them to look at.

I think the Holmes and Reid picks for for shoring up the special teams as much as, if not more so than, the WR corps. This allows our DB PR/KRs to remain healthy and fresh for pass defense.

While I think he's great, I'm still not sold on Parker as an every down, between the tackles running back.

The Steelers have become very fast on offense... allows them to do a lot of jabbing in the ball control aspect of the run game followed by a swift, strong uppercut or strong left hook.

Well, I agree with you overall, but in the playoffs they were very pass happy--it "threw" the competition off. That said, I do not think they will become pass happy as a mater of course this year. I think the lesson was learned under Mularky in the failed Maddox experiement a few years back.

They still have some big backs left like Cedric Humes and Gerald Riggs Jr who I'd like for them to look at.

I think the Holmes and Reid picks for for shoring up the special teams as much as, if not more so than, the WR corps. This allows our DB PR/KRs to remain healthy and fresh for pass defense.

While I think he's great, I'm still not sold on Parker as an every down, between the tackles running back.

The Steelers have become very fast on offense... allows them to do a lot of jabbing in the ball control aspect of the run game followed by a swift, strong uppercut or strong left hook.
Great post. It wasn't uncommon for Cowher to open up games by taking shots down the field to keep defenses honest, and maintaining the speed on the outside to keep the threat/ability to do so are a critical aspect of keeping the ground game effective. I wouldn't be surprised if they added a bruiser short yardage RB today or they bring in an undrafted FA for that role. On the whole, I would say that Parker owners should be pleased though. It would appear as if he has earned their confidence based on them not bringing in anyone yesterday.

:thumbup: Agreed with most of this. I think you can expect Parker's numbers in 2006 to be similar if not better than 2005. Cowher always says the team's m/o is equal pass/run until the Steelers get a lead and then they try to shorten the game with the run. I don't think that will change. But I do agree that days of seeing 65-70% runs are over. Roethlisberger has earned the trust of the coaching staff and the Steelers have got the weapons (Ward, Miller, Wilson, Holmes, Morgan) to make Ben successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup:   Agreed with most of this.  I think you can expect Parker's numbers in 2006 to be similar if not better than 2005.  Cowher always says the team's m/o is equal pass/run until the Steelers get a lead and then they try to shorten the game with the run.  I don't think that will change.  But I do agree that days of seeing 65-70% runs are over.  Roethlisberger has earned the trust of the coaching staff and the Steelers have gotten the weapons (Ward, Miller, Wilson, Holmes, Morgan) to make Ben successful.
More food for thought: 1) Ward has been a top 10 FF WR for 3 out of the past 4 seasons

2) Rarely do rookie WR's make a major impact

3) Ward is still option 1 in the passing game, the addition of Holmes and presence of Miller will keep defenses from focusing solely on Hines

4) Roth keeps getting better and I agree that the Steelers will throw more in 2006

Right now, few people have Ward in their top 10. I expect him to be a top 15 pick and think he'll outperform his draft spot. He's a nice combo of consistent production at a good price.

I thik you could be reading too much into 1 pick. They let Randel El go and it made sense they were going to takea WR. I do not think you can read that they have or are switching from a run first team to a pass fist team. Change? Yes.They fond that Big Ben can throw the ball quite well in th playoffs. So I tink they become better balanced knowig wha he can d. I do not think you'llfind Cowher making wholesale changes however.

Steelers do not draft a RB on day one... I think this definitely bumps Parker up a few slots.

:towelwave:
Bettis had ~100 FF points the last couple years, nearly 2/3's as a result of TD'sthis, ladies, is huge

while Staley likely gets a few of the yards, I think the TD's get spread around alittle

a couple more for TE Miller...and a couple more for FWP

so YES, I do believe a slight increase in valve--as long as no other RB is added to the Parker/Staley/Hayes combo

Users who are viewing this thread