What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So will this be considered the most impressive (1 Viewer)

C

CrossEyed

If the Stelers win SB XL, they will have beaten the #1, #2 and #3 seeds in the AFC and the #1 seed in the NFC. Wouldn't that have to be viewed as the most impressive Super Bowl championship of all time?

If you just want to go by seeds beaten...they yeah, most impressive. But if you want to add in other criteria...I'll go with the Bears steamrolling everybody. That was more impressive. Nobody even belonged on the same field with them that post-season.

Potentially. However, the 85 Bears shut out their first 2 opponents and beat NE 46-10 in the SB. That was a very dominating post season.This has been a great run by the Steelers.

If you just want to go by seeds beaten...they yeah, most impressive. But if you want to add in other criteria...I'll go with the Bears steamrolling everybody. That was more impressive. Nobody even belonged on the same field with them that post-season.
Just because Miami got eliminated by new england. :cry:

If the Stelers win SB XL, they will have beaten the #1, #2 and #3 seeds in the AFC and the #1 seed in the NFC. Wouldn't that have to be viewed as the most impressive Super Bowl championship of all time?
No. It's more impressive to me for a team not to have to play all four games.As someone said, '85 Bears would be hard to top here.

If the Stelers win SB XL, they will have beaten the #1, #2 and #3 seeds in the AFC and the #1 seed in the NFC.  Wouldn't that have to be viewed as the most impressive Super Bowl championship of all time?
No. It's more impressive to me for a team not to have to play all four games.As someone said, '85 Bears would be hard to top here.
Pretty impressive. Everyone in the thread so far, except the threadstarter, came up with the same team to refute the original premise. In pretty short order I might add.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I would think it would be more impressive to win 4 games. :confused:

If the Stelers win SB XL, they will have beaten the #1, #2 and #3 seeds in the AFC and the #1 seed in the NFC.  Wouldn't that have to be viewed as the most impressive Super Bowl championship of all time?
Maybe I'm missing something, but I would think it would be more impressive to win 4 games. :confused:
Bears dominated like no one else, no one else even came close to scoring on them. Pittsburgh is up there if they win handily, but the Bears is the most impressive IMO.

It's all subjective, both would be pretty damn impressive...It's arguments like this that make the sports world go 'round...

I'd find it hard to be more impressive than what New England did last year. That was most likely the three toughest opponents ever defeated en route to the SB.

A team that had won 15 straight games, a team with one of the greatest offenses ever, and an unbelievable NFC team that had gone 15-1 in games that counted (with the one loss being to the team that had won 15 straight games).

When the team with the NFL MVP, the best offense in the league and led by one of the greatest QB seasons ever is the worst team you faced in the playoffs (and you only had one home game), I don't think we'll ever see a more impressive post-season run.

Yes.All 4 games on road.

Played the 16-0 Colts. Well they think they could have but didn't want too.

Denver at home,unbeatable. 13-3.

Seattle by far the best NFC.

They beat a Colts team in the doom,a better Colts team then last year.

They beat Denver who beat N.E. in Denver.

They beat(if they don't then this trend is dead) Seattle who is the best NFC team.

YES yes y e s.

Best post season ever. :popcorn:

Your thread says "Most impressive post-season" - which is all we're to evaluate here, right? Not whether they got a 1st round bye. So winning 4 > winning 3, all else equal.

It's arguable, but I have to agree that 1985 Bears wins this, with last year's Patriots and the Steelers close - if Pittsburgh wins in XL.

NM - I'm now convinced. 3 road games, beating the "unbeatable", only trailing for one half. Yep, if they win, it's the most impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
lmao @ yet another "is this the best ________ in the history of the NFL" :rolleyes:Usually this really means "the best in the last 10/15 yrs" since most people asking the question can only remember back that far, if that.Anyway....if PIT wins, it will be great but greatest post-season ever? I kinda doubt it.

You could say the run the Giants put on in the 90 playoffs was more impressive. Winning the SB with your backup QB is pretty impressive. Having to go through SF with Montana at the helm, too.

It's more impressive to have earned a bye in the first-round, rather than having to win the extra game.

I'd find it hard to be more impressive than what New England did last year. That was most likely the three toughest opponents ever defeated en route to the SB.

A team that had won 15 straight games, a team with one of the greatest offenses ever, and an unbelievable NFC team that had gone 15-1 in games that counted (with the one loss being to the team that had won 15 straight games).

When the team with the NFL MVP, the best offense in the league and led by one of the greatest QB seasons ever is the worst team you faced in the playoffs (and you only had one home game), I don't think we'll ever see a more impressive post-season run.
Wow Chase. I am impressed. Cant believe as a homer I didnt come up with the Pats from last year.Both runs would be quite impressive but IMO, the Eagles of last year were stronger than this years Seattle team.

Pats beat #1, #3 and #1 while the Steelers have beaten #1, #2 and #3 with #1 on tap. Pretty similar.

Pats crushed the Colts and Steelers while squeaking by the Eagles.

Steelers held on against the Colts and dominated the Broncos.

Interesting argument but I still say it is the 85 Bears because of the nature of the games they won.

:lmao: at the '85 Bears having the most impressive post-season.How is beating on Dieter Brock (yes, Dieter Brock...who played exactly ONE season in the NFL, and in the first round win he was 6/22 for 50 yards, 0 TD and 1 INT) and then Tony Eason (who threw 6 more INTs than TDs in the post-season) impressive? Their first round win was against a good young team that just wasn't ready yet.The Bears faced two of the worst teams you'll see in the conference championship and super bowl rounds. Sure they won huge, but beating up on inferior teams does not make for the most impressive post-season of all time.

I will throw the 1996 Packers in here. Not because they dominated the whole thing but they were supposed to dominate the thing. They had the #1 offense and the #1 defense. Dont know where the Bears defense ranked in 1985 but Pittsburgh this year was no where near #1 for either category. Just saying the 1996 Packers were supposed to win and they did. Cant get much better then having the #1 offense and the #1 defense.

lmao @ yet another "is this the best ________ in the history of the NFL" :rolleyes:

Usually this really means "the best in the last 10/15 yrs" since most people asking the question can only remember back that far, if that.
True, but at least in this case the format (6 teams per conference) has only been around for 15 years, so the question has a little more merit.

Your thread says "Most impressive post-season" - which is all we're to evaluate here, right? Not whether they got a 1st round bye. So winning 4 > winning 3, all else equal.
Yes, it's only POST-season for the purposes of this thread. With that in mind, I say yes this is the most impressive run. Beating 2 "unbeatable" teams on the road in DOMINATING fashion as well as beating the 1, 1, 2 and 3 seeds on the way to a Super bowl victory (that's if they beat Sea). There is a reason that NO TEAM IN HISTORY until now has made it to the SB as a 6 seed (or won it). It is set up to be the hardest road to the big dance on purpose. The fact that Pitt has made it through this gauntlet and done so convincingly has got to make this the most impressive post-season run IMO. That does not make them the best team ever, just the most impressive as far as post-season run.Oh and Pitt did this in the AFC, not the NFC. The AFC is largly known to be the vastly superior Conference right now yet Pitt still made it as a 6 seed all the way to the SB.

Yes, it's only POST-season for the purposes of this thread. With that in mind, I say yes this is the most impressive run. Beating 2 "unbeatable" teams on the road in DOMINATING fashion as well as beating the 1, 1, 2 and 3 seeds on the way to a Super bowl victory (that's if they beat Sea). There is a reason that NO TEAM IN HISTORY until now has made it to the SB as a 6 seed (or won it). It is set up to be the hardest road to the big dance on purpose. The fact that Pitt has made it through this gauntlet and done so convincingly has got to make this the most impressive post-season run IMO. That does not make them the best team ever, just the most impressive as far as post-season run.
Rankings the 7 teams, I'd go:1) 04Pit

2) 05Ind

2) 04Phi

3) 04Ind

4) 05Den

5) 05Sea

6) 05Cin

It's pretty close, but I'd definitely give the nod to the '04 Pats.

Without a doubt, this will be remembered as one of the greatest and most impressive post-season runs of all time. Pittsburgh got blazing hot at the right moment.

Guess the question is what is more impressive, destroying all of your playoff opponents or playing and beating a bunch of teams that many considered as good or better than you? The second is more often than not going to be an option for a championship caliber team. Who was going to beat the 1985 Bears? They themselves were the class of the league and nobody they could have played would have been seen as much of a threat (other than the Dolphins who they didn't get to play in the Super Bowl). A number of teams had better seasons this year than Pittsburgh but generally you're not going to be able to say that about a Super Bowl team. If the Colts had beaten Pittsburgh last week as most expected and were heading to the Super Bowl right now, nobody would be thinking that was such a big deal. The Colts were "supposed" to win. The Steelers beating the Colts is seen as a big deal for Pittsburgh though because the Colts went 14-2. And of course it's harder to win 4 games than 3 games, but for the most part your championship quality teams are going to have played well enough to get a first-round bye. The 1989 Niners did basically the same thing the 1985 Bears did. They easily destroyed 3 inferior opponents. If you want to talk about beating top quality postseason opposition, the 1968 Jets, 1976 Raiders, and 1990 Giants (as someone already noted) deserve mention.

Without a doubt, this will be remembered as one of the greatest and most impressive post-season runs of all time. Pittsburgh got their QB back and healthy at the right moment.
Fixed! :D Even though a #6 seed, this team is nearly identical to the team that went 15-1 last season. With Roethlisberger, this team was seen through the first half of the season as one of the most dominating in the NFL and a favorite to take the Super Bowl (behind the Colts). But following the various injuries to BR and the disasters at the hands of Tommy Maddox this team's stock fell quickly.

Roeth continues to show his value to this team and not only did they get him back, but as you said, they've peaked at the right time. Coincidence?

I'm more impress that the Houston Oilers found a way to lose to the Buffalo Bills in the "greatest comeback ever" game.

Yes, it's only POST-season for the purposes of this thread. With that in mind, I say yes this is the most impressive run. Beating 2 "unbeatable" teams on the road in DOMINATING fashion as well as beating the 1, 1, 2 and 3 seeds on the way to a Super bowl victory (that's if they beat Sea). There is a reason that NO TEAM IN HISTORY until now has made it to the SB as a 6 seed (or won it). It is set up to be the hardest road to the big dance on purpose. The fact that Pitt has made it through this gauntlet and done so convincingly has got to make this the most impressive post-season run IMO. That does not make them the best team ever, just the most impressive as far as post-season run.
Rankings the 7 teams, I'd go:1) 04Pit

2) 05Ind

2) 04Phi

3) 04Ind

4) 05Den

5) 05Sea

6) 05Cin

It's pretty close, but I'd definitely give the nod to the '04 Pats.
Nice job,don't agree with your rankings but the best way to do it.05Sea just gets no respect.

05Den beat N.E.

04Phi should be ranked 5th.

But it's close. Pitt won 2 games in sites no one thought could happen.

N.E. won there games no one was surprised.

That being said Pitt's run in the playoffs stands alone,as the best playoff run of all time.

Of course when they lose to the Hawks,it will mean nothing or N.E. run of 04 was the best. :D

Both teams killed the Colts,who have to go down as the all time CHOKE team. :thumbup: :hifive:

It's more impressive to have earned a bye in the first-round, rather than having to win the extra game.
Not when you actually read the question that I asked.

Related question: If Pittsburgh loses, will it be viewed as the most incredible choke of all time?(Moral: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.)

Related question: If Pittsburgh loses, will it be viewed as the most incredible choke of all time?

(Moral: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.)
The first word in my question is if.

You could say the run the Giants put on in the 90 playoffs was more impressive. Winning the SB with your backup QB is pretty impressive. Having to go through SF with Montana at the helm, too.
If you're going to throw the Giants name in the mix I'd say the 86 run was better. They blew out Joe Montana's Niners 49-3. Then they followed it up by beating Joe Gibbs for the 3rd straight time that season, shutting 'em out 17-0. Completed the trifecta with a perfect 2nd half by Simms in the Super Bowl over Denver and Elway. However, this Steelers run of road magic is nothing short of impressive.

Not when you actually read the question that I asked.
I read the question you asked, homer. Part of the postseason is the seed you've been placed in. I also know you're going to homer up and disagree with me or anybody who isn't seeing this with black and gold goggles, so carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread