What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solve the Coronavirus (2 Viewers)

What is the best course of action

• Continue as we're doing now, it will eventually work itself out

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Mandated and enforced lockdowns of 30 days

Votes: 62 49.6%
  • Mandated and enforced lockdowns of 15 days

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Natural Selection, get back to life as is, if someone dies, they die

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
Another example of how nobody is taking these lockdowns seriously..... My fish store is open. Not fish that you eat.....aquarium supplies.   Somehow aquarium supplies meet the standard for "necessary services".

So I can buy fish food from a store but I can't play golf by myself.....Got it.

We're all doomed.
Pet supplies were deemed essential - maybe fish stretch the definition of pets, but most people want to keep their dogs/cats alive (although you can buy that stuff in a supermarket which may be your point).

Another example of how nobody is taking these lockdowns seriously..... My fish store is open. Not fish that you eat.....aquarium supplies.   Somehow aquarium supplies meet the standard for "necessary services".

So I can buy fish food from a store but I can't play golf by myself.....Got it.

We're all doomed.
WV in lockdown but golf courses are still open. Have a 36 hole course 2 minutes from my house. It is cold and rainy so... maybe tomorrow.

I chose, "other" and can fix this in 3 weeks.

Everyone is to remain indoors for 21 days.  Anyone that goes outside gets a drone strike.  Boom, done.

Isn't part of the solution to build up an immunity to a never before seen virus?  Some of the concern is that this has never been seen before so nobody has any anti-bodies so it increases the spread rate because nobody has anything to fight it off.  I thought the idea of the self isolation was to slow the spread so the health care systems could keep up as cases presented.  It wasn't to stop the spread entirely because you do need the virus to hit people so antibodies are increased within people which will in turn help stop the spread eventually.

Quarantining for 30 days may "stop" the virus but if the overall community still doesn't have a build up of immunity any time it props its head up again we start running around like chicken little and start all over again.  I thought the idea of lowering the curve was to have a controlled outbreak to help the health care system while still building up a societal immunity.  Going hard quarantine seems like it goes against this approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does a 30-day lockdown solve anything?  Assume we do that and it works perfectly.  What stops CV from coming over from other countries on day 31?
It's OK if new isolateable cases come in starting on Day 31. IOW, the 30 days off gives America a kind of a do-over -- a chance to institute isolation measures and contact tracing that should have been initiated mid-February.

It's not so much a blanket problem of "having cases". It's having cases running wild in the background. A month pretty much burns out those "wild cases". On Day 31, you catch them as they come in as best you can (yes, some will be missed in real time ... but hopefully only a small number of asymptomatics).
Gally, I think this partially addresses your last post. You're right, I think, about herd immunity ... but the hitch is that there really isn't a way to build that up safely in a large population in a brief-ish period of time (say, less than a year). Building it up slowly, over a decade or so through "wild" cases that "leak out" past containment measures ... that will do the job as well.

Keep in mind, too, that a vaccine would also be a means of conferring herd immunity. That's not right around the corner ... but a vaccine might well come sooner than how long it would probably take for leaked cases to "immunize" enough people to count as herd immunity.

Users who are viewing this thread