What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Someone in one of my leagues made a deal with the devil... (1 Viewer)

Dont worry, that guy will get knocked out of the playoffs by one of the better teams. His luck cant last all season (Well, it can, but chances are it wont)
I'm not worried, and as for him getting knocked out by one of the better teams... he *IS* one of the better teams. I believe he's #1 in total points, and #2 in all-play record. I'm not whining about a guy who just got lucky... like I said, I'm simply pointing out how HUGE the disparity is between his schedule and everyone else's. Not as a complaint, but as a point of curiousity, because I've never seen anything like this before. I mean, 5 of 7 games against the lowest scorer, and the other two against the 2nd-lowest scorer! That's unreal!
There's a slight selection bias here; if he's the #1 point scorer, you know he's never played against the #1 scoring team. (Obviously that doesn't explain all of the gap).

just the luck of the draw imo.

one of the many leagues I play in is a homeboy league that has been going on 6 years now. A couple of years ago one of our guys finished the season with a tremendous points scored total but didnt even come close to making the playoffs because he played the highest scoring team of the week 8 or 9 out of 14 games and the second highest most of the other games, lol.

If I rem he won 2 or three games all year. Stuff happens ya just gotta play on and get ready for the next season. (and hope it doesnt happen to you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another endorsement for Total Points leagues.
It depends how you look at it. Should the NFL change their standings to total points? Denver would go from one of the best teams to one of the worst. Some weeks its just all about the win. We reserve the final playoff spot for the team with the highest point total that may not have have the record to go with it.

5 years ago my league passed a rule that gave the 3rd Wild Card spot to the leagues highest scoring team if it did not make the playoffs. It has yet to go into effect. By week 12 or 13 it will balance out. I bet this owner knows his team has gotten lucky and realises it will be difficult to keep up this pace.

Dont worry, that guy will get knocked out of the playoffs by one of the better teams. His luck cant last all season (Well, it can, but chances are it wont)
I'm not worried, and as for him getting knocked out by one of the better teams... he *IS* one of the better teams. I believe he's #1 in total points, and #2 in all-play record. I'm not whining about a guy who just got lucky... like I said, I'm simply pointing out how HUGE the disparity is between his schedule and everyone else's. Not as a complaint, but as a point of curiousity, because I've never seen anything like this before. I mean, 5 of 7 games against the lowest scorer, and the other two against the 2nd-lowest scorer! That's unreal!
There's a slight selection bias here; if he's the #1 point scorer, you know he's never played against the #1 scoring team. (Obviously that doesn't explain all of the gap).
I understand that there's a little bit of selection bias, and I understand that the more points you score the lower you're likely to rank on points against (just by driving everyone else UP the points against standings), but I've never seen a disparity that large. Like I said, 5 games against the #10 scorer, and 2 games against the #9 scorer, in a 10-team league. That's crazy.

Seems to happen every so often. I can remember a league the year that Jamal Lewis was going bonkers when I played against a team like that. Every break went his way, including all of his trades (he would trade a guy and the next week that guy would get hurt). It was amazing. It was stupid lucky. He won the league going away. AND it was a high stakes league - $1000 entry.

Happens. Just tough luck. I congratulated him and made sure to beat the snot out of him the next year. :yes:

Personally, this year I have a team with the most points in one league (5-2) and have a team with the 2nd most points in another (2-5) (4 high weekly scores against me).

This game is so much luck, you just gotta cross your fingers and count to 10 sometimes.

It may be time to start A) trying to trade with that guy to break up his team, B) start looking to trade with other teams so you can match up with him or C) start looking to next years draft.

Good Luck!

Peace-

HS

A 14 man league im in has 5 WC spots by record, and then the 6th spot is the team with the most points that is not already in. This seems to be one of the better ways to do it.
We do this in one of my 12 team leagues, but 2 of the 6 get in on highest points that aren't already in by record. A very good way to eliminate some of the luck factor yet still have H2H be the point of emphasis.
I think this is one of the better routes. One of my leagues goes by record but the final team to make the playoffs is the remaining team with the highest total points.I'm currently in a 16 team league where you play the 3 other teams in your division 3 times each. It just so happens that myself and two of the other teams in the division are the top scoring teams in the entire league. Not only is it not fun always playing the same teams, but you will see a weaker team make the playoffs because of it. Record does not always indicate better team.

I played in a total pts league once and half the league is usually out of it by mid-season. That doesn't help keep a league active at all. Total pts leagues are boring as hell.
One way to keep it interesting for all involved is to give payoffs for highest point total for each week as well as for highest totals at the end of the season.

I played in a total pts league once and half the league is usually out of it by mid-season. That doesn't help keep a league active at all. Total pts leagues are boring as hell.
What about splitting the pot between the total points winner and the winner of the playoffs? I suggested this for this season in one of my leagues, but it didn't pass.
We have 6 playoff spots for 12 teams, determined thusly:1, 2, 3 - the three division winners, ranked based on record and tiebreakers4, 5 - wild card entrants based on records and tiebreakers6 - the team that is not otherwise in the playoffs with the most points on the year regardless of record.Seeds 1 and 2 get a bye, seeds 4 and 5 play each other, seeds 3 and 6 play each other - real disadvantage to the 3rd division winner since he loses the free week and he is usually matched up against a team from one of the other divisions who had a great team, but kept losing H2H matchups in the division.Keeps almost everyone active - you are either trying to get a WC spot, division title, or, at the very least, a shot at the points entry into the playoffs.

There is a team in my league that has given the #1 and #2 teams their only loss. Yet the same team has given the #11 and #12 team their only wins.... weird.

Marc Levin said:
Lefty27 said:
acme said:
OK, i give... what does the giant finger pointing at the T-shirt represent?
Shick! explains it here:Pinned by Shick! in Free for All
Think of it as: Don't complain about stuff that is simply all "part of the game."

Best examples:

I passed on Torry Holt to take Cadillac Williams at the 1/2 turn in my 12-team league :cry:

I started Randy Moss over Berrian in week 3. :cry:
It's the FF version of saying "That's poker"

What about splitting the pot between the total points winner and the winner of the playoffs? I suggested this for this season in one of my leagues, but it didn't pass.
My league does this, though we devote more of the money to the overall points side of things. We figured it would keep more teams interested (and spending cash), and it has for the most part. And a few times the #6 seed has made a nice run to the Super Bowl, making things more lively.

Not IMOIn my experience it all has a way of evenning out. SSOG's OP guy will probably lose in the playoffs. Total points takes away some of the fun banter sorta competition IMO.I like any style, but H2H is my fave.

Users who are viewing this thread