What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Songs That You Automatically Associate With a Specific Movie or TV Scene (1 Viewer)

I probably have like 40 such songs on various playlists that are there purely because of the movie tie-in and associated nostalgia value. Some of them are blindingly obvious to everyone, like aforementioned Layla/Goodfellas. Similar examples include Somebody's Baby (Fast Times), Jessie's Girl (Boogie Nights), and Slow Ride (Dazed and Confused).

But there are a bunch of other examples that are probably idiosyncratic to me personally. The brief little scene in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood with Brad Pitt and the hippie girl with Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show playing on the radio is sublime. It's a cool shot that was constructed by a director who goes out of his way to construct "cool" moments in his movies for no other reason than just to be cool. And it works even if you don't listen the lyrics of the song, which very strongly inform what happens next. This example probably fits the question posed by the thread the best, because I would never listen to this song were it not for the connection to the film.

Other examples of "I would never listen to this song if it weren't for the movie/show, but now I have it saved somewhere:"

Vacation -- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the "Jersey Shore" episode)
Surfin' Bird -- Full Metal Jacket
In Dreams (or, more amusing, "Candy Colored Clown") -- Blue Velvet. This scene is nightmare fuel, and the actor that did the song died recently.
Baby Blue -- Breaking Bad finale
I Saved the World Today -- Sopranos (Richie April's last episode)
Son of a Lovin' Man -- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, again.

Probably have done this before, but it often comes up in the various music drafts/threads. What song immediately conjures up a particular movie or TV scene - or even a commercial?

I'll start with an obvious one: "Layla" from Goodfellas
First one I thought of.

Immigrant song in Ragnorok will always be connected to me now just because of the timing and visuals of it.

Users who are viewing this thread