What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Soriano Refuses To Play Outfield (1 Viewer)

In all fairness he made it clear BEFORE the trade he would not play another position. They should move vidro anyway. OF would not be a good career move..

In all fairness he made it clear BEFORE the trade he would not play another position. They should move vidro anyway. OF would not be a good career move..
:goodposting: Bowden is an idiot. I'm not sure what he was expecting to happen here. Soriano was very clear what he thought before hand.

:goodposting: Bowden is an idiot. I'm not sure what he was expecting to happen here. Soriano was very clear what he thought before hand.
The contract is also pretty clear that if Soriano doesnt get his ### out there, the TEN FREAKING MILLION HE IS PAID TO PLAY A GAME is held back, and he loses any service time.Yeah, poor guy under a TEN MILLION DOLLAR contract let the new team know he wouldnt move positions. Rough life there.

The contract is also pretty clear that if Soriano doesnt get his ### out there, the TEN FREAKING MILLION HE IS PAID TO PLAY A GAME is held back, and he loses any service time.Yeah, poor guy under a TEN MILLION DOLLAR contract let the new team know he wouldnt move positions. Rough life there.
I'm not saying 'poor guy' or anything. If your company wanted to move you to another job (say one you hated), you told them no, they moved you anyway, and you quit, would they really have any reason to be upset? I'm not saying that he isn't acting like a prima donna but at least he was upfront about it. From a management level perspective trading for him and then insisting he switch was dumb.

I'm not saying 'poor guy' or anything. If your company wanted to move you to another job (say one you hated), you told them no, they moved you anyway, and you quit, would they really have any reason to be upset? I'm not saying that he isn't acting like a prima donna but at least he was upfront about it. From a management level perspective trading for him and then insisting he switch was dumb.
If I quit, then I forfeit the terms of my contract. In the case of Sori, he can "quit" and not play OF. Then, he gets no service time, and no money... he can find another line of work I suppose.

If I quit, then I forfeit the terms of my contract. In the case of Sori, he can "quit" and not play OF. Then, he gets no service time, and no money... he can find another line of work I suppose.
He would have to find another line of work, but you wouldn't have to. I'm sure he'd love to terminate his contract and go work for another employer.

If Soriano means what he says, he should completely tank every effort to play LF. He can be forced to play ... he cannot be forced to play well. When he screws up relay throws and misplays fly balls, he can argue that he knows nothing about playing outfield.

Again, his contract doesn't require him to play well.

(1) Contractually he is obligated to play OF if the team says so

(2) WTF is it with people here defending a guy who won't help his team when he gets paid 10 Million per year. :shrug:

Why would you side with this guy? He is selfish and greedy. Not to mention utterly overated.

(2) WTF is it with people here defending a guy who won't help his team when he gets paid 10 Million per year. :shrug:

Why would you side with this guy? He is selfish and greedy. Not to mention utterly overated.
I don't think anyone's "siding" with him, merely pointing out that it was stupid to trade for him when - right or wrong - he stated his position very clearly before the trade.They could have gotten a lot more value for Wilkerson and Sledge than a player who refuses to play, and who is now making everyone look like idiots (including some of you)

There's a difference between siding with him and recognizing bowden is an idiot.

He's a four time all star. How many times has Vidro been named an all star? Why on earth would an all star agree to switch positions, especially after he told the team trading for him that he absolutely would not play anything other than second base? It's analogous to Dallas having TO play tight end.

(2) WTF is it with people here defending a guy who won't help his team when he gets paid 10 Million per year.  :shrug:

Why would you side with this guy? He is selfish and greedy.  Not to mention utterly overated.
He's a four time all star. How many times has Vidro been named an all star? Why on earth would an all star agree to switch positions, especially after he told the team trading for him that he absolutely would not play anything other than second base? It's analogous to Dallas having TO play tight end.
He doesnt have to agree. Understanding of "under contract" down?

(2) WTF is it with people here defending a guy who won't help his team when he gets paid 10 Million per year.  :shrug:

Why would you side with this guy? He is selfish and greedy.  Not to mention utterly overated.
There's a difference between siding with him and recognizing bowden is an idiot.
Fair enough. Bowden is an idiot.Sori is selfish, overated and without a leg to stand on... which isnt much different than his defense at 2B.

When all else fails, invoke tired shtick.

He can choose to not agree by choosing not to perform. Understanding of "not being a jerk" down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'll tell you this much... if he refuses to play, you can call him selfish and stupid, but you sure can't call him greedy. I for one would admire it. Stick to your guns bro, not enough people do.

Jim Bowden will get run out of this town on a rail, and GB the day he does :bye:

Well I'll tell you this much... if he refuses to play, you can call him selfish and stupid, but you sure can't call him greedy. I for one would admire it. Stick to your guns bro, not enough people do.
:goodposting: A practical view! :thumbup:

E

Maybe he should look up the definition of "team". And have a chat with Chipper Jones.

Maybe he should look up the definition of "team". And have a chat with Chipper Jones.
Please tell me you're not surprised by this. Good grief, it was pretty obvious it would play out this way.

Please tell me you're not surprised by this. Good grief, it was pretty obvious it would play out this way.
Surprised? No. But I'm still tired of all the whiney, selfish, overpaid athletes out there today.

Chipper's back playing 3B, right? That, in my opinion, helps Soriano. Wasn't 3B Chipper's natural position? I'm not questioning whether or not the guy's a team player. I enjoy the fact that he outright said, "I'm not playing OF" and then actually backed it up. My guess is that Soriano gets traded out of Washington by the end of April at the latest.

Same old story here. Many people on this board don't seem to think that professional athletes should have the ability to make their own decisions regarding their own careers. See also: the thousands of haters who come out of the woodwork whenever an NFL player exercises his right to hold out. I wonder if its racism or envy, probably a little bit of both.

The Wilkerson/Soriano deal was a favor by MLB (who owns the Nationals) to Tom Hicks, the owner of the Rangers. They got the Rangers out from under the Soriano contract, which was yet another stupid salary move on their part, while still giving them some serious value in Wilkerson as well as utility man Sledge and a pitching prospect. No other team would have made that deal for Soriano. All this to the detriment of Nationals fans who can only sit and wait for real ownership to come along and hope that we don't get somebody like, well, Tom Hicks.

Alfonso Soriano knows what he wants and this isn't it. If I was him I would suck it up and play but I'm not and I respect his position, especially given that he expressed it so strongly before the trade was made, and the rich white men who made the trade disregarded his position just like many of you are now. Get out there and lace em up, boy!

I hope you are all asked to clean the crappers by your boss tomorrow afternoon. Hey you're getting paid, just do it.

Chipper's back playing 3B, right? That, in my opinion, helps Soriano. Wasn't 3B Chipper's natural position? I'm not questioning whether or not the guy's a team player. I enjoy the fact that he outright said, "I'm not playing OF" and then actually backed it up. My guess is that Soriano gets traded out of Washington by the end of April at the latest.
Chipper moved to LF because it was best for the team. He's now back at 3B because it's best for the team. Soriano couldn't care less about what's best for the team. Whiny...selfish...brat.

Same old story here. Many people on this board don't seem to think that professional athletes should have the ability to make their own decisions regarding their own careers. See also: the thousands of haters who come out of the woodwork whenever an NFL player exercises his right to hold out. I wonder if its racism or envy, probably a little bit of both.

The Wilkerson/Soriano deal was a favor by MLB (who owns the Nationals) to Tom Hicks, the owner of the Rangers. They got the Rangers out from under the Soriano contract, which was yet another stupid salary move on their part, while still giving them some serious value in Wilkerson as well as utility man Sledge and a pitching prospect. No other team would have made that deal for Soriano. All this to the detriment of Nationals fans who can only sit and wait for real ownership to come along and hope that we don't get somebody like, well, Tom Hicks.

Alfonso Soriano knows what he wants and this isn't it. If I was him I would suck it up and play but I'm not and I respect his position, especially given that he expressed it so strongly before the trade was made, and the rich white men who made the trade disregarded his position just like many of you are now. Get out there and lace em up, boy!

I hope you are all asked to clean the crappers by your boss tomorrow afternoon. Hey you're getting paid, just do it.
Playing outfield may be crappy, but the comparison here is ridiculous.

]

Wasn't the contract from the yankees though?

Chipper moved to LF because it was best for the team. He's now back at 3B because it's best for the team. Soriano couldn't care less about what's best for the team. Whiny...selfish...brat.
We should all be as selfless as the great Chipper Jones! :bow: I don't recall him being too happy with that move. Also, he'd been with the Braves for years. Soriano has no ties to this team.

He won't get paid if he doesn't play, nor should he. But the people who really deserve egg on their face for this one are MLB and the Nationals front office.

Yeah, because getting paid millions for playing the OF is so demeaning compared to getting paid millions for playing 2B. :rolleyes:

The Wilkerson/Soriano deal was a favor by MLB (who owns the Nationals) to Tom Hicks, the owner of the Rangers.
Interesting view. Any links that support this theory? Not trying to be a jackass, I'm genuinely curious about where this is coming from.

]

Wasn't the contract from the yankees though?
Perhaps, but they still took it. The contract is not so much the issue as the fact that they got the value they did for someone they were looking to dump. That could only happen through the favor given to them by MLB.

Same old story here.  Many people on this board don't seem to think that professional athletes should have the ability to make their own decisions regarding their own careers.  See also:  the thousands of haters who come out of the woodwork whenever an NFL player exercises his right to hold out.  I wonder if its racism or envy, probably a little bit of both.

The Wilkerson/Soriano deal was a favor by MLB (who owns the Nationals) to Tom Hicks, the owner of the Rangers.  They got the Rangers out from under the Soriano contract, which was yet another stupid salary move on their part, while still giving them some serious value in Wilkerson as well as utility man Sledge and a pitching prospect.  No other team would have made that deal for Soriano.  All this to the detriment of Nationals fans who can only sit and wait for real ownership to come along and hope that we don't get somebody like, well, Tom Hicks.

Alfonso Soriano knows what he wants and this isn't it.  If I was him I would suck it up and play but I'm not and I respect his position, especially given that he expressed it so strongly before the trade was made, and the rich white men who made the trade disregarded his position just like many of you are now.  Get out there and lace em up, boy!

I hope you are all asked to clean the crappers by your boss tomorrow afternoon.  Hey you're getting paid, just do it.
Yeah, because getting paid millions for playing the OF is so demeaning compared to getting paid millions for playing 2B. :rolleyes:
Is it really that different? To you, maybe. Who are you to tell Alfonso Soriano what to think? He's put a lot into being a second baseman, whether you or I think is that great of one or not. Now you and Jim Bowden are ####ting all over it.Alfonso Soriano would easily be the starting 2B on at least half the teams in the majors. Why is he a Washington National, one of the teams that doesn't need one? Favors.

I'd like to see this addressed, rather than the continued name calling. Why can't Alfonso Soriano decide what's best for his career? Makes too much money? Is that why? What's the income line where you aren't allowed to make your own decisions anymore?

Same old story here.  Many people on this board don't seem to think that professional athletes should have the ability to make their own decisions regarding their own careers.  See also:  the thousands of haters who come out of the woodwork whenever an NFL player exercises his right to hold out.  I wonder if its racism or envy, probably a little bit of both.
I'd like to see this addressed, rather than the continued name calling. Why can't Alfonso Soriano decide what's best for his career? Makes too much money? Is that why? What's the income line where you aren't allowed to make your own decisions anymore?
You're the one calling conspiracy. Can you provide any support that MLB was trying to prop up Hicks? That argument seems ludicrous to me.

He's under contract, no? If he was so opposed to playing any other position, he should have made sure that stipulation was in the contract. And if he really wants to call his own shots he can always go play ball in Mexico or Cuba.

:lmao: OMG, I dont know where to even start. Yes, cleaning crappers is the same as getting paid TEN MILLION DOLLARS to play baseball. He didnt have to sign for 10 mill, he can look into another line of work.Crappers. Classic. Come on JZill - this is a selfish player UNDER CONTRACT for 10 mill. Dont liken this to some sad sack forced to clean toilets. If he is THAT offended, find a new line of work, really... but good lucking finding one that pays so well for so little.

Soriano has a contract with a major-league club, that calls (I assume) for him to play for the Nationals for a set amount of money, and within that, follow the rules set out by his manager and general manager that they think will make the team better. It doesn't matter what he thinks.I signed a contract at my last job. It wasn't anywhere near as detailed as a MLB contract is, but it called for me to do the tasks and duties that my boss thought would further the purpose of the company I worked for. That wasn't cleaning toilets or sweeping floors, but it did say I couldn't practice law out on my own while employed and other restrictions that aren't really necessary here.

And if I didn't want to follow that, I didn't have a job. Pretty simple. I could go work on my own.

You're the one calling conspiracy. Can you provide any support that MLB was trying to prop up Hicks? That argument seems ludicrous to me.
Support? It's my own opinion. Look at the deal. The MLB controls and operates the Washington Nationals. The Washington Nationals trade their best and most promising player for an overpriced, overrated second baseman who they don't need, who doesn't want to play for them, and who clearly will be gone sooner than later. Call it whatever you want, it's just the way I see it.Granted, Jim Bowden has proven himself to be a complete moron before, but this deal always stunk to me.

You don't have to believe me though, who the hell am I?

And the income line to where you are able to make your own decisions is when you're financially independent and you can go into business for yourself.

So, when Alfonso is ready to buy his own team, he can start calling the shots.

Soriano has a contract with a major-league club, that calls (I assume) for him to play for the Nationals for a set amount of money, and within that, follow the rules set out by his manager and general manager that they think will make the team better. It doesn't matter what he thinks.I signed a contract at my last job. It wasn't anywhere near as detailed as a MLB contract is, but it called for me to do the tasks and duties that my boss thought would further the purpose of the company I worked for. That wasn't cleaning toilets or sweeping floors, but it did say I couldn't practice law out on my own while employed and other restrictions that aren't really necessary here.

And if I didn't want to follow that, I didn't have a job. Pretty simple. I could go work on my own.
Soriano doesn't have that freedom. You and I have the freedom to get another job for the same or even more money. Of course you are all of the line SORIANO IS SO OVERPAID HE SHOULD JUST GO WHERE HE'S SENT, DO WHAT HE'S TOLD AND S-T-F-U. Yeah, he's only devoted his entire life to the game of baseball and spends every day from February to October living no life except that. I guess he should only bring in $40K.Personally, I respect that fact that he is doing what he can to make his own career decision.

Hey, he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid. I didn't say that was unfair. Did I ever say he should get paid?

Soriano would have played outfield for the Yankees, but really, why should he for the Nats? Spare me your sanctimonious crap the lot of you about a "contract". If he didn't want to play second base, that would be some sort of violation, but the mere fact he's compensated doesn't give the team carte blanche to tell him what to play.

Think about it, if they told him to pitch, and he didn't, what would you say? He'd be putting his long term career at risk playing an unfamilar position.

But to make it a little more personal, think of whatever job you do, maybe you're making 75 grand or more, nice white collar job. If the company wants to reassign you to the janitorial staff at the same salary, do you take it since you are being paid, or do you tell them to pound salt and do all you can to maintain your dignity.

Now yes, I realize 100 thou or so is a lot different from 10 million, and Soriano's dignity isn't being threatened here. But the greater pararell is, most of us would take some pride in what we do professionally and ideally will do things not just for a paycheck, but also for some measure of integrity.

Where I'd be curious is to see if Sori returned to his beloved Yankees. Cano is an equally attrocious butcher, but I can see him replacing Sheff in RF next season. But if he's playing for an also ran, why switch? .285 hitting 2B who can be an easy 30/30/100/100 each year are worth even more than an OF who can put up those digits, and it's an easier path to the Hall of Fame.

And the income line to where you are able to make your own decisions is when you're financially independent and you can go into business for yourself.

So, when Alfonso is ready to buy his own team, he can start calling the shots.
Really? So you will forever do whatever you are told and never seek another job until the day that you run your own firm?Or if you don't like something, will you try to do something about it, even though you don't run the place?

Soriano doesn't have that freedom. You and I have the freedom to get another job for the same or even more money. Of course you are all of the line SORIANO IS SO OVERPAID HE SHOULD JUST GO WHERE HE'S SENT, DO WHAT HE'S TOLD AND S-T-F-U. Yeah, he's only devoted his entire life to the game of baseball and spends every day from February to October living no life except that. I guess he should only bring in $40K.Personally, I respect that fact that he is doing what he can to make his own career decision.

Hey, he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid. I didn't say that was unfair. Did I ever say he should get paid?
You sure seem to be taking this to heart. I don't recall saying you said he should get paid. :bye: You're right. You and I have the freedom to work where we choose. He doesn't. That was collectively bargained away by his union, and that's one of the rights he gave up when he signed that contract with the New York Yankees. And he knew that, like every player does, when he signed that contract.

There's really nothing more to it than that.

Users who are viewing this thread