What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SpaceX - official thread (1 Viewer)

I would guess over a million a passenger.  Would be awesome and terrifying all at once.
That's ridiculously low.  It's going to be over $50m per, perhaps multiples of that.  $250m honestly wouldn't completely surprise me. I mean NASA pays $80m to the Russians for every person the Soyuz flies to the space station....and that's relatively close to where this flight will be.

What did surprise me, if I read the story correctly - is that the two passengers themselves are two solo participants.  I just assumed it was some wealthy couple, or perhaps a wealthy father son combo or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, I wonder how much that would cost. But, they haven't even launched the Falcon Heavy once yet, have they? Schedule seems overly optimistic. 
Wouldn't they need to figure out who is going soon? I would think the passengers would need to have quite a bit of training before they go; physical and otherwise.

Wouldn't they need to figure out who is going soon? I would think the passengers would need to have quite a bit of training before they go; physical and otherwise.
They have been selected and will be announced upon successful completion of the health testing currently in process.

This is sci-fi. Just amazing to see and I get to watch it from my front porch. Then to see the two boosters come down side by side and the main

rocket lands on a ship out at sea?! Then I see a little red car heading to Mars?! Better than ANY sci-fi movie I've ever seen.

Honestly got a tear in my eye when those two boosters landed together.  Both my grandparents worked at the Cape, and one worked directly on the shuttle at times in late 70s and early 80s.  I got some seriously cool momentos from when I was a kid.
Just saw the video of this.  OMG.  I involuntarily cheered when those boosters hit their marks.  

Coverage on the ground said the sonic booms felt several minutes after takeoff shook the ground so hard car alarms were going off.

Pretty amazing. Look, I love NASA, but at this point it’s a huge government bureaucracy.  So awesome that we finally have some private guys that can do things like shoot Tesla’s into space to orbit for millions of years.  Musk is a stud.

Pretty amazing. Look, I love NASA, but at this point it’s a huge government bureaucracy.  So awesome that we finally have some private guys that can do things like shoot Tesla’s into space to orbit for millions of years.  Musk is a stud.
Was there any significant about this endeavor besides it being a private company?  I recall hearing something about it possibly being cheaper than traditional launches?

Also, they must have altered that Tesla.  I wouldn't think that the materials made for Earth would last long with the sun & freezing temperatures.

ETA. Nevermind I just saw the landing of the rockets.  That was sweet!

One of the perks of living in Central FL...launches just never get old
My wife got to watch from the roof of the hotel she works at, about 5 miles away. I was sitting in an office in Orlando, pissed off. Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, and Kyle Chandler were all out there watching. 

The only saving grace is that I drove east past 20+ miles of bumper to bumper traffic westbound on 528. I could see the smoke from the landing from MCO. Incredible. 

Just saw the video of this.  OMG.  I involuntarily cheered when those boosters hit their marks.  

Coverage on the ground said the sonic booms felt several minutes after takeoff shook the ground so hard car alarms were going off.
I live about 15 or so miles from the launch pad and they sometimes rattle my windows/patio doors. This one had to have been really powerful. 

Was there any significant about this endeavor besides it being a private company?  I recall hearing something about it possibly being cheaper than traditional launches?

Also, they must have altered that Tesla.  I wouldn't think that the materials made for Earth would last long with the sun & freezing temperatures.

ETA. Nevermind I just saw the landing of the rockets.  That was sweet!
It can carry almost 3x the payload of the next biggest rockey at less than 1/10th the cost. 

Yep. If you want something done well and efficiently - privatize.

The way the rockets reverse course and come back and land perfectly is mind blowing engineering to me. I can't begin to fathom the math involved to the guys that figured that one out
I live here on the space coast and have met quite a few engineers that work for SpaceX. They say it's brutal to work there because of the long hours and that fact the Elon is so driven. He doesn't care what can't be done, do it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread