What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Speculation - I can’t get excited about football anymore. IMO games are manipulated. (1 Viewer)

A few timely penalties here and there can drastically change a game. I don’t think games are fixed- just manipulated in real time for suspense. I think it’s possible they do things when opportunities present themselves. 

All I’m saying is something smells fishy and I think they’re getting sloppy. 

Like what, specifically.

One cowboys game?

A long time ago, losing was something people learned from, and it was part of any game (or life). Now, the first thing people do is look for ways they've been cheated. I didn't really lose! Circumstances worked against me!

I'm not saying the OP falls in this category. But we've gotten way too comfortable dismissing results we don't like, and constant "xyz is rigged" conspiracies add to general distrust and ego preservation. 

Refs are not robots. They get judged on how well they do their jobs. They want to get calls right. They take pride in being good at it, and they feel ashamed (and their jobs are in jeopardy) when they don't. 

If the NFL was rigged, why would Goodell have to hand Brady a trophy after going to war with the Patriots organization over deflategate? That's probably the last thing they wanted to do. 

A long time ago, losing was something people learned from, and it was part of any game (or life). Now, the first thing people do is look for ways they've been cheated. I didn't really lose! Circumstances worked against me!

I'm not saying the OP falls in this category. But we've gotten way too comfortable dismissing results we don't like, and constant "xyz is rigged" conspiracies add to general distrust and ego preservation. 

Refs are not robots. They get judged on how well they do their jobs. They want to get calls right. They take pride in being good at it, and they feel ashamed (and their jobs are in jeopardy) when they don't. 

If the NFL was rigged, why would Goodell have to hand Brady a trophy after going to war with the Patriots organization over deflategate? That's probably the last thing they wanted to do. 

I agree. As for your last point, its good theatre for Vince McMahon, er Roger Goodell to have to hand the belt, err Trophy to Ric Flair , err Brady. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Upon re-reading he was likely referring to the hold - I missed that he said “in the 4th quarter”. 

my bad. 

That said, Madden was emphatic about it not being OPI, and that’s enough for me.
If you have officiated football, then you would know very few coaches know the rules.  Players know less and fans know the least.  

I mentioned on Page 1 but will repeat that the combination of flags that are subjective at best gives the referees the ammo to at times create the optical illusion that they are manipulating games but this is the end result of having rules that are iffy at best and FORCED on professional football so they can escape legal costs from players later in life suing them for things like CTE. 

The 4th Quarter and especially late 4th Quarter in many football games that are 1 score or coming down to the end, those games have the highest chances of looking rigged. We don't hear as often about a team up 10 points but favored 10.5 and something mysterious happens in the way of covering the spread. Instead we are debating if the games could be rigged in some way. 

MoP does not believe games are being manipulated in terms of raw cheating although I totally believe Stephen Ross tried to use money as an incentive with Flores in 2019, national media was reigning down on Ross about tanking and then suddenly Miami was winning a few games. 

-I feel in my soul that DPI and Personal Fouls especially the hits to the QB plus defenseless receivers has created an enormous obstacle course that teams must now maneuver thru late in contests in order to win football games. It's like these flags seem to appear more often late in games at crucial moments and it leaves fans with a terrible taste in their mouths. 

I'd like to hear some discussion about the obvious connection between these flags being tossed about late in games and the impact that creates and spawns an emotion in some fans that these games are scripted. 

SF used to script their 1st 20 plays on Offense when Walsh and Seifert were running the ship there. Used to hear Summerall and Madden talk about it in the booth. You don't hear the word scripted used very much these days and I don't believe Madden was indicating something funny was taking place, in fact he was paying homage to the Offense which could attack any defense with the confidence they could script the first 20 plays and not even worry about defensive adjustments, that's how confident the Niners and Montana were. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have officiated football, then you would know very few coaches know the rules.  Players know less and fans know the least.  
That goes for all sports.  It really is shocking how little most coaches/players know about the actual rules of their sport.

. Or 3 straight non-calls for DPI/DHolding against the Ravens in the  Harbowl.  Those were 3 game-changing, Super Bowl deciding calls/non-calls for sure.
As a Ravens follower, I have zero recollection of any infractions on those plays :unsure:   However, I DO remember a bull#### OPI on Todd Heap in the playoffs against the Colts that swung the game in Indy's favor. Funny how memory works, isn't it? :lol:  

(In all honesty, I thought sure the refs were going to flag Jimmy Smith on that last attempt to Crabtree)

(In all honesty, I thought sure the refs were going to flag Jimmy Smith on that last attempt to Crabtree)
should have - but as I said at the time, Harbaugh played for the flag instead of the score. They’d just run at will to get to the red one & then decided to throw 3 straight times.

You can’t hope for a flag in that situation. Gotta punch it in. Brutal non-calls, but the play calling was why they lost.

should have - but as I said at the time, Harbaugh played for the flag instead of the score. They’d just run at will to get to the red one & then decided to throw 3 straight times.

You can’t hope for a flag in that situation. Gotta punch it in. Brutal non-calls, but the play calling was why they lost.
Agreed. Baltimore's defense - which wasn't good all year, contrary to popular belief - was gassed at the end. I think you or I could have run one in at that point. I was shocked when the 49ers kept passing.

That whole game was crazy, though. The big lead for Baltimore. The power going out. I was in Austin, TX watching with 15-20 posters from this very message board. I hit the 4thQ on the pool with Koch's safety.

Manipulated/matriculated, I really don't see a difference. On every single play there is at least one person on the field of play that is attempting to (going to) influence the outcome of the game.

I get it though. Humans aren't infallible and we often makes mistakes. It's foolhardy to expect perfection out of others. Sometimes those mistakes are costly or could have been avoided. Striving to be better is literally the best we could do.

Instead of focusing on missed or bad calls, try focusing on good to great calls. Of course close games come down to a play or 2, but blaming officiating is probably the lowest bar for fans. 
This is an interesting statement.  I am not really sure if there are any such things in reality when it comes to penalties.  There is either a penalty or there isn't.  So mentally there are no  good or great calls.  You either make the right call or a bad call.   You either do your job or you don't.  Tough job for sure.

It's not like a great diving catch that is impossible to make but then is made.  

I'm hearing a lot of, too much money to risk, but I don't think the original post is accusing the NFL or any one person or group.  Simply saying there are many curious things which happened.

I remember the online poker community saying there was no way the sites would risk their money by allowing rigged games either, until the evidence all came out.  And by the way, they are all now back in full force.

I love the NFL, I don't believe that any player or coach is involved in any level of game fixing or manipulation. I sincerely enjoy the product that we see, but there are some things that make you say hmmm.  If you think that's too close to treading the line JB, I'll bow out as well. I totally understand your position.
The NFL has far more to lose than online poker sites that compete against each other. The only time NFL owners compete against each other is for three hours on Sundays between September and January.

If Congress strikes their Antitrust exemption you can say goodbye to the NFL as we know it. Within a decade we'll look back and see this was the high water mark in the existence of the NFL. Particularly if a game manipulation plot is thrown in as the cherry on top.

No more revenue sharing, no more salary cap, individually negotiated television deals, no more parity, "Super Teams" etc.

They will still make tons of cash overall and it will still be the most popular sport in America, but it won't ever be what it is today.

Goodell knows that and the 32 owners know that as well. Don't be surprised to see 30 of them oust Snyder & Ross if Congress starts pushing to overturn their Antitrust exemption because of their shenanigans (the Cowboys are apparently skating on a sexual harassment case too ATM).

The NFL has far more to lose than online poker sites that compete against each other. The only time NFL owners compete against each other is for three hours on Sundays between September and January.

If Congress strikes their Antitrust exemption you can say goodbye to the NFL as we know it. Within a decade we'll look back and see this was the high water mark in the existence of the NFL. Particularly if a game manipulation plot is thrown in as the cherry on top.

No more revenue sharing, no more salary cap, individually negotiated television deals, no more parity, "Super Teams" etc.

They will still make tons of cash overall and it will still be the most popular sport in America, but it won't ever be what it is today.

Goodell knows that and the 32 owners know that as well. Don't be surprised to see 30 of them oust Snyder & Ross is Congress starts pushing to overturn their Antitrust exemption because of their shenanigans (the Cowboys are apparently skating on a sexual harassment case too ATM).
New rumor: @Chaka is a secret NFL plant, sent to infiltrate FBG using logic and reasoning.

Ha! Joke’s on Chaka! We’re neither logical nor reasonable here, pal!  Now you go back to Roger Goodell & tell him how you failed! 
:pickle:  

This is an interesting statement.  I am not really sure if there are any such things in reality when it comes to penalties.  There is either a penalty or there isn't.  So mentally there are no  good or great calls.  You either make the right call or a bad call.   You either do your job or you don't.  Tough job for sure.

It's not like a great diving catch that is impossible to make but then is made.  
Sometimes those zebras get together and pick up a flag after a discussion. That was a great call! 

I grew up playing competitive hockey and one the best thing I ever learned from some very savvy and intelligent coaches was to never blame the officiating. There were several moments in that game that could have made a difference, so focus on that! To boot, my parents had the same idea, don’t blame the officiating, just play the game. I am now teaching this to my daughter and her teammates as I am now one of those savvy coaches. 

Sometimes those zebras get together and pick up a flag after a discussion. That was a great call! 

I grew up playing competitive hockey and one the best thing I ever learned from some very savvy and intelligent coaches was to never blame the officiating. There were several moments in that game that could have made a difference, so focus on that! To boot, my parents had the same idea, don’t blame the officiating, just play the game. I am now teaching this to my daughter and her teammates as I am now one of those savvy coaches. 
Why is it a great call?  Maybe it was a bad call for picking it up.  I have seen that happen.  You either get the call correct or you don't.  There is no call better than another.

I completely agree and coached my teams the same way.....its never the officials fault.  

Why is it a great call?  Maybe it was a bad call for picking it up.  I have seen that happen.  You either get the call correct or you don't.  There is no call better than another.

I completely agree and coached my teams the same way.....its never the officials fault.  
Maybe “great” is too strong of a word, so let’s go with “now that was a good call”. 

Users who are viewing this thread