What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Start 2 QB & Superflex Leagues: Discussion and Strategy thread (2 Viewers)

I'm currently in an PPR 14 team, Auction Superflex Startup. The QB were downgraded with a -3 INT and -.5 sack and its very interesting.

$300 cap, 5% yearly 4 year contract max.

With the ability to put 1st and 2nd yr players on the TS for only 10% the cost during the auction, Johnny and Teddy were very expensive but other than that the QBs for the most part were fairly affordable. Ofcourse the cream of the crop where expensive (15% of the cap each) but QBs 5 - 15 were more reasonable(10 - 8% each). I myself 1st got Cam at $29.25 and he was #10 priced QB. A day or so later I was the highest bidder on RG3 for most of the timer until a "price adjuster" thought my RG3 bid was too low and out bidded me (at the time he had 2 high priced QBs already, he now has 4!). I turned my attention on Russel Wilson and overpaid at $27 (he was the 13th priced QB).

The draft is almost a quarter of the way done but most of the big players are taken and almost all starting QBs

http://football4.myfantasyleague.com/2014/options?L=26388&O=102&SORT=POSITION
This is why I don't do dynasty.

I'm currently in an PPR 14 team, Auction Superflex Startup. The QB were downgraded with a -3 INT and -.5 sack and its very interesting.

With the ability to put 1st and 2nd yr players on the TS for only 10% the cost during the auction, Johnny and Teddy were very expensive but other than that the QBs for the most part were fairly affordable. Ofcourse the cream of the crop where expensive (15% of the cap each) but QBs 5 - 15 were more reasonable(10 - 8% each). I myself 1st got Cam at $29.25 and he was #10 priced QB. A day or so later I was the highest bidder on RG3 for most of the timer until a "price adjuster" thought my RG3 bid was too low and out bidded me (at the time he had 2 high priced QBs already, he now has 4!). I turned my attention on Russel Wilson and overpaid at $27 (he was the 13th priced QB).

The draft is almost a quarter of the way done but most of the big players are taken and almost all starting QBs

?? Whats wrong with it

?? Whats wrong with it
Nothing. Its dynasty. I'm a pretty intelligent guy and I understood about a third of what you typed.

This is exactly what I came in here to ask about.

In a 2QB league for the first time this year. 12-team auction with 18-man rosters, including 7 bench spots, so I could very well be looking to take a flyer on a current backup.

Anyone with any strong opinions about anyone? I kind of think that Osweiler should be a little higher, given his team. I like Sanchez similarly, plus he has obviously started before.

Home league:

12-team redraft Auction ($200)

16 roster spots

Best ball - with waivers/trades

1/2/3/1/DEF with 1 Superflex and 1 Flex

QB scoring is 1/30yds, 4 pt TDs

.75 PPR WR/TE, .5 PPR RB

Manning, Brees, and Rodgers went for 56, 56, & 49, but McCoy and Charles also went for 53 & 50, Calvin went for 49.

Seems about right to me. Superflex leagues are the best of all worlds - IMO.

Home league:

16 roster spots

.75 PPR WR/TE, .5 PPR RB

Manning, Brees, and Rodgers went for 56, 56, & 49, but McCoy and Charles also went for 53 & 50, Calvin went for 49.

This is great info.

I was just trying to figure out if my dollar values converted from projections were accurate. My league is similar (6 pt TD pass, 1 PPR, 18-man teams, 2 QB/no superflex)

I'm coming up with $39 for Charles and low 30s for McCoy and 38 for Calvin when I try to convert from VBD. Manning, Brees and Rodgers as 63, 55 and 53, so that is close.

What did Graham go for?

Home league:

16 roster spots

.75 PPR WR/TE, .5 PPR RB

This is great info.

I was just trying to figure out if my dollar values converted from projections were accurate. My league is similar (6 pt TD pass, 1 PPR, 18-man teams, 2 QB/no superflex)

I'm coming up with $39 for Charles and low 30s for McCoy and 38 for Calvin when I try to convert from VBD. Manning, Brees and Rodgers as 63, 55 and 53, so that is close.

What did Graham go for?
JG went for $42.

Just live auctioned this weekend in our $200 12 team ppr super flex league. Top 3 at each position were.....

Rodgers 60, Brees 51 and Luck 48. (Manning was kept)

Charles 68, Forte 65, and McCoy 60

Megatron 56, Marshall 53, and AJ Green 42 (DT kept)

Jimmy was kept for 43

Good Luck

?? Whats wrong with it
Nothing. Its dynasty. I'm a pretty intelligent guy and I understood about a third of what you typed.
What the OP here was describing was his Salary Cap startup auction

Salary Cap and Dynasty are "Same Same but Different"

Salary Cap takes WAY more strategy than a standard dynasty, IMO...

That being said, I started a superflex re-draft league with a bunch of buddies and it's a ton of fun. Stoked for our draft to start on Monday

hate to admit it but I'm the guy that will reach for 4 starting QBs. Never had any trouble trading them... even Christian Ponder and Colt McCoy.

Foles was a golden pick for me last year. And the blessing was that the Vick owner rejected a few gift trades...

dkp993 said:
Just live auctioned this weekend in our $200 12 team ppr super flex league. Top 3 at each position were.....

Rodgers 60, Brees 51 and Luck 48. (Manning was kept)

Charles 68, Forte 65, and McCoy 60

Megatron 56, Marshall 53, and AJ Green 42 (DT kept)

Jimmy was kept for 43

Good Luck
Thanks for the info..

Last edited by a moderator:
hate to admit it but I'm the guy that will reach for 4 starting QBs. Never had any trouble trading them... even Christian Ponder and Colt McCoy.

Foles was a golden pick for me last year. And the blessing was that the Vick owner rejected a few gift trades...
I like to get 3 guys with different byes and then take a flyer on a 4th usually being a rookie.

Have the 2nd pick in a 10-team PPR redraft. Expecting to take Manning with my first pick and hoping somebody like Ryan/Stafford is there for me in round 2. This league has been 2QB for several years and it is such a tremendous advantage to have 2 stud QBs. If you try to get cute and wait, you end up with a crappy first QB and an even crappier 2nd QB.

Long Ball Larry said:
This is exactly what I came in here to ask about.

In a 2QB league for the first time this year. 12-team auction with 18-man rosters, including 7 bench spots, so I could very well be looking to take a flyer on a current backup.

Anyone with any strong opinions about anyone? I kind of think that Osweiler should be a little higher, given his team. I like Sanchez similarly, plus he has obviously started before.
I agree that Osweiler should be higher, given that he seems to have come along in his development, Manning's age, and the weapons that he will inherit when Manning does decide to retire.

Sanchez is intriguing as well, as there have been reports that he has looked much better now that he is healthy again, and away from the New York Jets circus/pressure cooker. I also know that there have been a few rumblings floating around that the Eagles could be willing to deal him for the right price, and even if he doesn't get traded, he is only on a 1 year contract right now.

Have the 2nd pick in a 10-team PPR redraft. Expecting to take Manning with my first pick and hoping somebody like Ryan/Stafford is there for me in round 2. This league has been 2QB for several years and it is such a tremendous advantage to have 2 stud QBs. If you try to get cute and wait, you end up with a crappy first QB and an even crappier 2nd QB.
But if you wait, wouldn't you be able to - theoretically - stock up on other positions?

I ask in earnest since this is the first time I will be drafting in a 2QB league.

But if you wait, wouldn't you be able to - theoretically - stock up on other positions?I ask in earnest since this is the first time I will be drafting in a 2QB league.
There are many strategies to try in 2qb leagues. The double stud QB is one. Others like to grab one stud and then go heavy on other positions filling in a mid to lower tier guy as their 2nd. Still others like to get studs at other positions and try to make due with a QBBC in the 4-7 round area.

That's the beauty of 2qb leagues. The draft strategies have a lot more variety and I've seen all ways win.

MCguidance said:
The Indestructible said:
The Indestructible said:
But if you wait, wouldn't you be able to - theoretically - stock up on other positions?

I ask in earnest since this is the first time I will be drafting in a 2QB league.
Theoretically, but that won't necessarily be an equalizer for you for several reasons. The first is league dependent, but in many leagues QBs outscore the other skill positions by a decent amount. If you don't have two QBs who are above the scoring Mendoza line for your league, chances are you're handicapping yourself a lot of points against teams that do (and a team with two elite QBs will have a dominating advantage).

Second, the top few tiers of QBs is much more stable from year to year than the top tiers of other skill positions, so there's a better chance that you're getting what you pay for in the draft (so to speak). There's significantly more risk with drafting other positions, both due to injury and to the simple production volatility that comes with the territory.

Third is that it is more difficult to develop/acquire a difference making QB than it is to find/draft one at RB or WR. RBs/WRs (especially RBs) tend to develop as players more quickly and their value depends more on situation. This provides opportunities to draft/develop/acquire potential difference makers (even if only for stopgap production) much more often than there are opportunities for equivalent QBs. A team with two stud QBs is much more likely to find a few stud RBs/WRs to complement them via late round flyers/injury attrition during the season/outlier seasons than a team with stud RBs/WRs can get ahold of or develop two stud QBs via the same methods.

You don't need to be a slave to the draft QBs early strategy, but ignore the position during the draft at your own risk. Coming out of the draft without two capable QBs puts you at a significant disadvantage in most 2QB dynasty leagues.

MCguidance said:
The Indestructible said:
The Indestructible said:
But if you wait, wouldn't you be able to - theoretically - stock up on other positions?I ask in earnest since this is the first time I will be drafting in a 2QB league.
What eastonblues said.

Stud QBs are consistent high scorers. With 2, you can almost guarantee that your QBs will outscore your opponents' QBs. Every week. You can't really find that consistency from another position. It is even more exaggerated when you play those teams that waited. A pair of manning/Rodgers is such an advantage over a Bradford/geno smith combo. And yes, if you wait too long, you will end up with that combo.

I also agree with eastonblues that stud 2qb allows you to find breakout players at other positions. I used stud 2qb a few years ago and snagged Arian foster in the mid rounds. Last year, I did the same with Moreno. I know I got lucky in some respects, but breakout players are more likely to be rbs and wrs, which will be there in the mid rounds when other guys will be looking for their first or second QB.

Recently completed a startup superflex dynasty auction draft..........this was my first auction draft, and I enjoyed it thoroughly......Its all about knowing how bad owners want players and then biddin em up......some guys will really overpay for players they want.

My strategy was to land two stud QB's. I payed just under $200 apiece for Stafford and Brees ($1000 total budget) I also snagged Rivers and Osweiler. I ended up with a pretty solid team, maybe a bit weak @ RB, but with pretty good depth. I think in an auction draft its good to hold onto some cash as guys are spending like crazy. You'll be able to scoop up late value.

I've been trying to get our superflex league to nerf the QB scoring a bit. It's becoming too much of a must to start 2 QBs. Not that I have a problem with it, but I don't think guys like Alex Smith should have more value than some other players at other positions. It's been meet with resistance naturally. Do you guys in these kind of leagues have standard QB scoring or are they toned down a bit?

Recently completed a startup superflex dynasty auction draft..........this was my first auction draft, and I enjoyed it thoroughly......Its all about knowing how bad owners want players and then biddin em up......some guys will really overpay for players they want.

My strategy was to land two stud QB's. I payed just under $200 apiece for Stafford and Brees ($1000 total budget) I also snagged Rivers and Osweiler. I ended up with a pretty solid team, maybe a bit weak @ RB, but with pretty good depth. I think in an auction draft its good to hold onto some cash as guys are spending like crazy. You'll be able to scoop up late value.
In Superflex something is going to be weak, paying 40% of your cap on 2 QBs is ballies. Post the rest of your team.

Our QBs are pretty nerfed. 4pt TDs, 1 pt every 25 yds. You do get a 5 pt bonus at 300. So that does reward the more productive QBs a bit.

But we still get about 12 QBs in the top 15 overall at the end of the year.

In Superflex something is going to be weak, paying 40% of your cap on 2 QBs is ballies. Post the rest of your team.
I don't know what the bolded means, but I would also like to see the team and the $ values.

Wish I had read this thread before investing in a 2 start QB league. The team I acquired has Cam, Alex Smith, and Flacco which I thought wasn't too shabby. But the league champ has Peyton and Brees. Looks like he's going to own the league again and into perpetuity.

Our QBs are pretty nerfed. 4pt TDs, 1 pt every 25 yds. You do get a 5 pt bonus at 300. So that does reward the more productive QBs a bit.

But we still get about 12 QBs in the top 15 overall at the end of the year.
That's sort of how ours is. But I was thinking of increasing the negative points for INTs and/or changing the yards scoring to 1 pt per 40 or something. Rewards the accurate/efficient QBs since the INT negatives would kill the Eli Manning's of the world, which to me, it should. Since yardage is piling up for QBs at historic rates, I figured the 1 per 40 would nerf it just the right amount too. Now it's just a matter of convincing the league, lol

my auction is pretty much complete, I was very surprised that the QBs were cheaper than I expected... and not many backups were taken

http://football4.myfantasyleague.com/2014/options?L=26388&O=07
Agree that those look pretty low, though I suppose with 40-man rosters that could happen. Amazing to see RGII and Foles go for almost the same as Manning. And am I reading right that Bortles went for more than Tannehill?
yes, Johnny and Teddy went for starter money as well... in auction its all about when these guys are nominated. If their nominated when people have buckets of money then people spend a little more. The RGIII guy wants to trade him, I was thinking of pairing him up w/ my Cam/Wilson which be spending $90 on QBs. Its tempting to say the least.

I'm wondering if going Jimmy Graham in the first round in a superflex league puts you behind in the draft when it comes to QBs.

Anyone have some comments or suggestions after completed drafts this year? I'd like to hear how some 2 qb leagues turned out.

This is only my 2nd year in a superflex but here is my main thought, FWIW I do auctions. I believe the wait on QB principle also applies to 2 QB or superflex leagues. Rather than shoot your wad on 2 expensive top tier QB's I prefer to take a mid to lower tier QB 1 and more important take 2-3 more QB's to assure you always have a QB to start in the superflex spot.

This is only my 2nd year in a superflex but here is my main thought, FWIW I do auctions. I believe the wait on QB principle also applies to 2 QB or superflex leagues. Rather than shoot your wad on 2 expensive top tier QB's I prefer to take a mid to lower tier QB 1 and more important take 2-3 more QB's to assure you always have a QB to start in the superflex spot.
my decision basically comes down to whether i'd rather have qb 3 and rb 7, or rb 1 and qb 7. Can fill in the names . standard scoring.

my auction is pretty much complete, I was very surprised that the QBs were cheaper than I expected... and not many backups were taken

http://football4.myfantasyleague.com/2014/options?L=26388&O=07
Agree that those look pretty low, though I suppose with 40-man rosters that could happen. Amazing to see RGII and Foles go for almost the same as Manning. And am I reading right that Bortles went for more than Tannehill?
So the rule in this league is there will be a short amesty period at the end of the off-season where any player not assigned a contract can be dropped without a cap hit, being the start up yr that means any player could be dropped at this time with no cap hit. These dropped players are locked until after week 1 and enter blind bidding waivers. In short there was some shocking drops one being RGIII from the team that grabbed 4 starting QBs. After Fitzgerald's crappy week 1 performance I placed a $17 bid dropping Fitz for RGIII and behold my QBs are now Cam, Wilson and RGIII for the next 4 or so yrs. Even though I'm a little weak at WR now I feel great about this team and the fact that the league is best ball helps too.

http://football4.myfantasyleague.com/2014/options?L=26388&O=07&F=0003

Anyone have some comments or suggestions after completed drafts this year? I'd like to hear how some 2 qb leagues turned out.
As I said above, I had the 2nd pick in a 10 team league that starts 2 QBs. I took Manning at 2 and hoped I'd get Ryan or Stafford in the 2nd. When my 2nd pick came, Ryan and Stafford were available, as was Luck (who I had as the 4th QB this year and figured would be gone). With 3 QBs who I'd take as my 2nd QB and only 2 picks before my next pick (the snake), I took Doug Martin and then Luck on the wrap. In hindsight, I think I would have been better off going with Charles in the 1st, and then 2 QBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It is early, but I think Charles-Luck-Stafford is better than Manning-Martin-Luck.

Nevertheless, I am glad that I took 2 QBs in the first 3 rounds. Had I waited to draft my 2nd QB, the QBs that would have been available in the 4th were RG3, Dalton, Big Ben, and Rivers. I did not want any of those as my 2nd QB, especially because I was able to scoop up a ton of value in the mid-rounds like Foster and Gronk. 2 stud QBs give your team a consistency that is hard to find from other positions. The guy I somehow lost to this week started RG3 and Eli. Another team is going with Flacco and Palmer. I think those teams are at a big disadvantage.

One guy has Rogers and Ryan at QB, and he picked late in the 1st round. I think the stud QB is easier to execute when picking late in the first round. I like the consistency that the 2 stud QB model brings, and if I had my choice, I'd choose to pick late in the first so I can get 2 top QBs. With so many NFL teams going RBBC, there is always lots of value to be had in the middle rounds.

Thoughts on some backup QB flyers?

For my league, I'm strongly considering Whitehurst, then Orton and maybe Mallett.

Logan Thomas also on the radar, and I guess after that it would be Ponder.

I like Mallet as a backup flyer for sure. I think Matt Flynn has as much value as Ponder. Who is backing up Cutler?

Thoughts on some backup QB flyers?

For my league, I'm strongly considering Whitehurst, then Orton and maybe Mallett.

Logan Thomas also on the radar, and I guess after that it would be Ponder.
Foles got knocked around today, and the OL is missing a lot of pieces. Sanchez would put up similar stats. I think you have to think about Derek Anderson as Cam had a couple bad hits and came into the year hobbled, and Weeden for Romo as his back has been a question mark.

Assuming the Titans continue to lose, I'd question whether or not they'd go straight to Mettenberger. Sort of like last year when Schaub went down and they skipped over Yates, there's no benefit to having Whitehurst in there if you're losing.

I liked Orton as a stash when he was signed but I think EJ's earned a little bit of leeway. Still a possibility but less.

I assume Mallet will get a chance this year.

Yeah, Sanchez no doubt. He was rostered in my league at the time and I was guessing elsewhere, but then he was dropped late this week and I snagged him. Fortunate since I missed out on Whitehurst and Mettenberger. Orton was even picked up.

Anderson and Weeden are good additions.

What are people bidding on Sanchez?

Really wish I had held on to him, but ended up having to drop him a couple weeks ago.
My league doesn't bid but I'd bid a lot.

However, if you miss on him, try picking up Josh McCown and/or Ryan Mallett. McCown has been made the starter again and there seems to be a good chance Mallett will replace Fitzpatrick after the bye.

What are people bidding on Sanchez?

Really wish I had held on to him, but ended up having to drop him a couple weeks ago.
My league doesn't bid but I'd bid a lot.

However, if you miss on him, try picking up Josh McCown and/or Ryan Mallett. McCown has been made the starter again and there seems to be a good chance Mallett will replace Fitzpatrick after the bye.
both gone. I have Fitzpatrick as my 3rd QB, which is part of why I want to pick up Sanchez. Though I will most likely look to flip him or another of my QBs.

I definitely think that Sanchez is worth a large bid. Going $52, which will leave me with $10.

I would bid everything on Sanchez in a superflex. I don't imagine a better QB becoming available. Even if it is just a block to prevent another playoff team. Assuming you can make $0 bids for D or K streamers later.

It's a good question on Mark Sanchez worth. For the rest of season, he's pretty valuable, and the Foles owner is already chiming in on the league message board that he's out next year. So I'm hopeful I can sneak in a low bid and still get him. But that's really a redraft move inside of a dyansty. Who thinks Sanchez has any value after this season? I don't. In a start 2 QB league, you can't ask for a better QB situation to fall into off the waiver wire. If nothing else, you want to keep him off opposing rosters.

FYI, he went for $70 in my 2QB league, the full amount left in that owner's budget. He had the second-most money available. There was 1 other owner who had $72, not sure why she didn't go for it.

FYI, he went for $70 in my 2QB league, the full amount left in that owner's budget. He had the second-most money available. There was 1 other owner who had $72, not sure why she didn't go for it.
Waivers runs tonight and I only have $27.60 left out of $100. I don't see spending the full amount. If somebody wants him, I'd be easily outbid for him anyway. There are some QB needy teams that have $0 left. I don't want to be in the same boat.

Users who are viewing this thread