What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Start 2 QB & Superflex Leagues: Discussion and Strategy thread (2 Viewers)

FYI, he went for $70 in my 2QB league, the full amount left in that owner's budget. He had the second-most money available. There was 1 other owner who had $72, not sure why she didn't go for it.
Waivers runs tonight and I only have $27.60 left out of $100. I don't see spending the full amount. If somebody wants him, I'd be easily outbid for him anyway. There are some QB needy teams that have $0 left. I don't want to be in the same boat.
He seems like he would be a fantastic trade chip for those QB needy teams with $0 left. That was going to be my plan.

By the way, why aren't more leagues using superflex (like my league) or 2-QB's? The most important position in the sport is QB, and if you only have to start one your league has made QB the easiest to obtain of any position. The idea that it is nearly stupid to draft a QB early because you can get at least the 12th best on the board in the late rounds is mind-boggling to me. I wouldn't play in a league like that.

I just picked him up off FCFS and traded him for a 2015 2nd in dynasty in 36 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, why aren't more leagues using superflex (like my league) or 2-QB's? The most important position in the sport is QB, and if you only have to start one your league has made QB the easiest to obtain of any position. The idea that it is nearly stupid to draft a QB early because you can get at least the 12th best on the board in the late rounds is mind-boggling to me. I wouldn't play in a league like that.
This is my first year in a start 2 QB league, and I love the strategy behind it. My team is as strong with 3 mediocre QBs (Cam, Flacco, Smith) as others with one stud and some scrub rookies. Really levels the playing field and injuries make a guy like Mark Sanchez suddenly super valuable (over a standard league). I realize these rules aren't for everybody, but I like the fact that QB's are no longer relatively worthless compared to the traditional VBD chart. This has quickly become my favorite format.

This is my first year in a start 2 QB league, and I love the strategy behind it. My team is as strong with 3 mediocre QBs (Cam, Flacco, Smith) as others with one stud and some scrub rookies. Really levels the playing field and injuries make a guy like Mark Sanchez suddenly super valuable (over a standard league). I realize these rules aren't for everybody, but I like the fact that QB's are no longer relatively worthless compared to the traditional VBD chart. This has quickly become my favorite format.
I only will play 2qb formats anymore.

I've went superflex exclusively as of 3-4 years ago and love it to death. No more "You can wait til Round 12 for a QB" talk!

What I've found amazing is the lack of value some owners still place on QBs, whether it be through drafting or trade offers. WIth the injury to Foles and changes at QB in TB & Houston, I've seen several QB-less teams in these formats. You simple don't stand a chance when that happens.

I've went superflex exclusively as of 3-4 years ago and love it to death. No more "You can wait til Round 12 for a QB" talk!

What I've found amazing is the lack of value some owners still place on QBs, whether it be through drafting or trade offers. WIth the injury to Foles and changes at QB in TB & Houston, I've seen several QB-less teams in these formats. You simple don't stand a chance when that happens.
Agreed. The whole fantasy ranking industry is based on 1 QB per starting lineup, so the underrating of QB's is pervasive in both the rankings as well as the general analysis. A lot of owners don't figure that out.

Only one of my four leagues this year is start 2 QB. Next year, it will be 3. Already this is by far the most enjoyable format. Won't go back.

So now that Stanton is the big WW pickup, is there any guess as to how much the bids will be for him?
I'd probably spend 10-25% of remaining. (Really depends on team need why I'd put such a large range) I'm typically already 3 QBs deep in these formats so I may be on the low end of %.

I don't have high hopes here. Zona defense is stout (unlikely to be playing from behind in huge blowout). And while Stanton played error free football, it wasn't great for fantasy football. (2 total TD's in 3 starts @ sub 50%). On the bright side, only one of his final 6 fantasy contests will be outdoors. On the downside, his 3 remaining home starts (instances where I could possibly see him as attractive start) are against Top 8 pass defenses (Det, KC, Sea). Obviously should be rostered in these formats, but probably one of the lowest upside backups IMO

I'm bidding $58. I only have 2 current starting QBs. There are a couple teams that really need QBs, so I might try to flip him or one of the others.

Obviously he is not great, but getting a QB who will clearly be the starter for the rest of the year is valuable.

I will give this a shot in 2015.I don't own him, but it was ridiculous to see Ben Roethlisberger on the bench in my league during his two game, 12 TD streak. Meanwhile, guys like Eddie Royal, Jarius Wright, Corey Washington and John Carlson have recently gotten starts.

I will give this a shot in 2015.I don't own him, but it was ridiculous to see Ben Roethlisberger on the bench in my league during his two game, 12 TD streak. Meanwhile, guys like Eddie Royal, Jarius Wright, Corey Washington and John Carlson have recently gotten starts.
:thumbup: I don't think you'll be disappointed.

:thumbup: I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Agreed. Makes no sense to play single QB formats.

That's way too much of a blanket statement to make. I like 2QB leagues as much as the next guy, but their practical appeal is tied directly to the league size and draft type.

My neighborhood league has always been 2QB, but it's also always been either 8 or 10 teams. Others will disagree with me, I'm sure, but IMO 10 is the practical upper limit for straight 2QB - and even then I've found that number works best with a 3 QB roster limit, as it eliminates hoarding and doesn't automatically condemn teams to zeroes on bye weeks or due to late scratches.

And if you're going to roll 2QB with 10+ teams, I also firmly believe you need to have at least one (and preferably both) of:

(a) either an auction draft, or [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]some mechanism for bidding on draft slot (either with real $$$ or out of each team's FAAB, if you play that way), and/or[/SIZE]

(b) scaled-back QB scoring (like the example I made on page 1).

Otherwise, you're handing a colossal advantage to those teams who get lucky enough to draw the first 3 positions in the draft - because the gap between A-Rods and Peytons of the world and the guys in the QB10-12 range dwarfs that of their respective RB or WR counterparts.

That's way too much of a blanket statement to make. I like 2QB leagues as much as the next guy, but their practical appeal is tied directly to the league size and draft type.

My neighborhood league has always been 2QB, but it's also always been either 8 or 10 teams. Others will disagree with me, I'm sure, but IMO 10 is the practical upper limit for straight 2QB - and even then I've found that number works best with a 3 QB roster limit, as it eliminates hoarding and doesn't automatically condemn teams to zeroes on bye weeks or due to late scratches.

And if you're going to roll 2QB with 10+ teams, I also firmly believe you need to have at least one (and preferably both) of:

(a) either an auction draft, or some mechanism for bidding on draft slot (either with real $$$ or out of each team's FAAB, if you play that way), and/or

Otherwise, you're handing a colossal advantage to those teams who get lucky enough to draw the first 3 positions in the draft - because the gap between A-Rods and Peytons of the world and the guys in the QB10-12 range dwarfs that of their respective RB or WR counterparts.
I agree that 2 qb leagues need some specific rules for the QBs. My league has a cap of 4 starters on the roster each week. You can also have an additional 4 backups. If one of the backups becomes a starter during the week, one of the 5 starters needs to be dropped before kickoff.

I also agree 10 teams is the max for an effective league. Any more requires superflex IMO.

I'm bidding $58. I only have 2 current starting QBs. There are a couple teams that really need QBs, so I might try to flip him or one of the others.

Obviously he is not great, but getting a QB who will clearly be the starter for the rest of the year is valuable.
I cut CJ Anderson week 7 and Stanton week 10 (last week) but I'm going to prioritize Anderson this week. I don't see Stanton as much of a difference maker compared to Sanchez. I would still bid a lot on Stanton, but not go crazy. If Weeden, McCoy, Hill, Flynn, McGloin get elevated due to injury I think they're similar plays.

(a) either an auction draft, or some mechanism for bidding on draft slot (either with real $$$ or out of each team's FAAB, if you play that way), and/or

I agree that 2 qb leagues need some specific rules for the QBs. My league has a cap of 4 starters on the roster each week. You can also have an additional 4 backups. If one of the backups becomes a starter during the week, one of the 5 starters needs to be dropped before kickoff.

I also agree 10 teams is the max for an effective league. Any more requires superflex IMO.
My 12 team superflex league has no rules.

The only thing I bring to the draft are a lead pipe, a bazooka and bottle of fortified tequila I buy in a Tiajuana alley from a guy named Slim Luis.

Anarchy rules!

My 12 team superflex league has no rules.

The only thing I bring to the draft are a lead pipe, a bazooka and bottle of fortified tequila I buy in a Tiajuana alley from a guy named Slim Luis.

Anarchy rules!
Super flex is more... flexible.

I've been thinking about starting a superflex dynasty league this year and I would really like to get people's opinions on what they feel is the best setup for this type of league.

What works well in your superflex league? What would you change if you could?

4 or 6 points for pass td's?

Do you boost any other position's value? TE premium?

I realize a lot of this comes down to personal preference but my initial thoughts are that I like the added importance QBs receive but don't want it to get out of control. I want owners to have options when constructing their team.

I've been thinking about starting a superflex dynasty league this year and I would really like to get people's opinions on what they feel is the best setup for this type of league.

I realize a lot of this comes down to personal preference but my initial thoughts are that I like the added importance QBs receive but don't want it to get out of control. I want owners to have options when constructing their team.
Nice Avatar!

Anyway, with the passing game being so prevalent in today's game, keeping 4 pt passing TDs is a must to me. Otherwise QBs become way overpowered scoring wise to the point that the 15th qb could outscore the best non QB.

Nice Avatar!

Anyway, with the passing game being so prevalent in today's game, keeping 4 pt passing TDs is a must to me. Otherwise QBs become way overpowered scoring wise to the point that the 15th qb could outscore the best non QB.
Some things you could do to balance the positions more:

-3 or -4 per turnover

-0.1 per sack yard (or -1 per sack)

3 per passing TD

Nice Avatar!Anyway, with the passing game being so prevalent in today's game, keeping 4 pt passing TDs is a must to me. Otherwise QBs become way overpowered scoring wise to the point that the 15th qb could outscore the best non QB.
Thanks, Mugen.

4 pts does seem the way to go for what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for perfect balance, rather I just don't want 2 stud QBs to be the only viable strategy.

Nice Avatar!Anyway, with the passing game being so prevalent in today's game, keeping 4 pt passing TDs is a must to me. Otherwise QBs become way overpowered scoring wise to the point that the 15th qb could outscore the best non QB.
Some things you could do to balance the positions more:-3 or -4 per turnover

-0.1 per sack yard (or -1 per sack)

3 per passing TD
Thanks for the suggestions. I've never thought about factoring sacks into QB scoring. Sidenote: David Carr's rookie year might have ended up negative in that case.

For some reason I can't do just 3 pts for touchdown passes. It just doesn't seem "right" to me. I'm probably just too used to playing in leagues that give either 4 or 6 pts because 5 also seems weird.

4pt TD and -2 INT are at bare minimum a must. The league I've been running for 15 yrs does it this way and the while QB's dominate still it's not a must to win (I won last yr playing only Wilson but my WR's were ridiculous). But smart strategy is still to get 2 top tier QBs.

Moving to 12 teams this year. Going to try the adjustment from 2qb to superflex. Any pitfalls I should watch out for structure wise?

Moving to 12 teams this year. Going to try the adjustment from 2qb to superflex. Any pitfalls I should watch out for structure wise?
I highly suggest that you PPR as well if you haven't already. With the massive drop off in RB production after the top few moving to PPR balances out the scoring a bit. 4pt QB TD's help this too.

I highly suggest that you PPR as well if you haven't already. With the massive drop off in RB production after the top few moving to PPR balances out the scoring a bit. 4pt QB TD's help this too.
Yea we've had the 4pt tds but resisted ppr. I'll have to ask how everyone feels on it.

Bastards voted down superflex in favor of single QB. Sigh. Going to be a boring year.
There's a chance we will have openings in our 12 team, 2qb auction league. Membership usually varies. Like $50 buyin. Draft in Allentown area. Will keep you apprised, if interested.

Bastards voted down superflex in favor of single QB. Sigh. Going to be a boring year.
There's a chance we will have openings in our 12 team, 2qb auction league. Membership usually varies. Like $50 buyin. Draft in Allentown area. Will keep you apprised, if interested.
Any other year I would but I just cut all but 1 league this year due to money. Thanks for the offer though, LB.

Is anyone in a 16-Team League that has SuperFlex lineup options? Non-IDP, please. I have a few follow up questions for those of you who are.

I Commish a 16-Teamer. We run a 1-1-2-1 with 2 SuperFlex positions, with the caveat that an Owner cannot SuperFlex 2 QB or 2 TE, so while you CAN start 3RB or 4WR, you cannot start 3QB or 3TE.

We're having some issues, but I don't want to litter the thread with them until I know that others out there are playing in 16-Teamers with SuperFlex. Non-IDP.

TIA

Any other year I would but I just cut all but 1 league this year due to money. Thanks for the offer though, LB.
I am looking at making a 10-team, 2-QB free league.

Have run a $60 buy-in, 10-team, 2-QB, 3-Flex (does not include QB though, only RB, WR, or TE) SuperStarterLeague (start 2QB, 2-3 RB, 2-5 WR, 2-4 TE, 2 K, 2 DEF) 3-keeper, 25 man roster, auction league for about 5 years now, and my leaguemates continue to tell me that it is the best league they have ever been associated with. The massive starting rosters and variety of starting configurations, along with the online auction component make for a very fun and very competitive league year after year. We considered adding another QB into the flex equation, but thought better of it because it would have place even more of a premium on the QB position.

2 QBs league are the only way to go, as long as you balance the scoring for the other positions appropriately.

Just found out that commissioner of my work league has decided to add a second flex spot and it’s a superflex.

The league is 16 teams. All TD’s are 6 points. Snake draft I have the 4th pick.

I have never played in a league that allows you to start 2 QB’s

Yardage is standard point per 10 yards per yard rushing and receiving, it is PPR and there are crazy bonuses for long plays.

Pass yards are point per 25 yards

Is four too early for a QB?

Should I always look to start 2 QB’s?

Just found out that commissioner of my work league has decided to add a second flex spot and its a superflex.

The league is 16 teams. All TDs are 6 points. Snake draft I have the 4th pick.

I have never played in a league that allows you to start 2 QBs

Yardage is standard point per 10 yards per yard rushing and receiving, it is PPR and there are crazy bonuses for long plays.

Should I always look to start 2 QBs?
4 is too late. Rodgers, Luck and Brees should be gone.

Just found out that commissioner of my work league has decided to add a second flex spot and its a superflex.

The league is 16 teams. All TDs are 6 points. Snake draft I have the 4th pick.

I have never played in a league that allows you to start 2 QBs

Should I always look to start 2 QBs?
4 is too late. Rodgers, Luck and Brees should be gone.
I bet someone in the top 3 holds onto the RBs first, last and always mantra and one of them falls. Even if they don't I would still consider Peyton, Cam, Wilson or even Romo in that spot (no DeMarco = more passing TDs IMO).

And yes you should always look to start 2 QBs. In a 16 team league it will give you a huge advantage.

Yea would like some shark insight my first yr in a 2 qb ,2 rb 4 Wr ppr league ! I have pick 8 in 10 team league wonderingw hat I should do hoping Julio at 8 but at pick 13 have no idea if I go qb ? Who ?

Users who are viewing this thread