What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Starting A Dynasty League (1 Viewer)

Banemorth

Footballguy
Good morning guys and gals!

After my first year of fantasy football I find myself waking up in cold sweats at the thought of the off season. Our playoffs finish week 14 (lame right?) So I would love to start up a Dynasty League and have our initial draft after our redraft wraps up. Here's the rules I was going to imply but I would love some thoughts from the vets as to what rules to enforce. When are rookie drafts typically held? Thank you everyone!

EDIT:

I removed my terrible broken rules that lacked any kind of depth and have since added my newly revised rules I've spent two weeks working on below. This was done in a word doc and some of my formatting for lists has been broken. Please let me know what you guys like/don't like. I think I'm pretty set now though.

Dynasty League Rules

General Information:

1. Each team gets $1,000 Salary

2. 24 Man Active Roster

3. Starting lineup QB, WR, WR/RB, WR/RB, WR/RB, RB, TE, K

4. Rookie/Free Agent (R/FA) Draft occurs each year prior to the end of the NFL preseason

5. Upon winning a player at auction the owner must decide for how long they would like to sign the player to a contract.

a. The owner is obligated to continue paying the player at their salary for the duration of the contract.

b. Should an owner wish to cut a contracted player in season they get the yearly portion of their salary cap back less 10% of the remaining contract value.

c. Up to six players may be cut a year with no salary cap penalty during the off-season.

6. For players picked up off waivers or received in trade, current contract is inherited.

a. Player’s must ensure they stay within the salary cap at all times.

7. When a player's contract years reach 0, they return to the Free Agent Pool and auctioned before the start of the season at the Free Agent/Rookie draft.

0.0 Terms

‘Cuts: All cuts must be made by August 1st in order to avoid the salary cap penalty.

Rookie / Free Agent Draft: Auction style draft where all available rookies and free agents are auctioned. To occur one week before the start of the regular season. League dues ($100) are due at the start of the draft.

In-Season: Anytime following Week 1 Kickoff and until the end of the Week 16 Fantasy Superbowl.

1.0 Team Management

1.01 General: (10) Team, Dynasty Auction Contract-Year League.

1.02 Managers: Each Team has a General Manager with a single vote in league matters. The Commissioner can call league votes for rule changes and matters that require manager removal.

1.03 Inactive Managers/Tanking: In the unlikely event a manager is deemed to be inactive or suspected of tanking, the team will be managed by the commissioner until a replacement is found. Removed managers will not receive a refund.

1.03a Commissioner Managed Teams: Teams managed by the commissioner are ineligible for prize money or to be traded with. Weekly starting roster will be filled with highest average scoring players. Any prize money won by commissioner managed teams will be placed into the pool for the following year.

1.04 Collusion: Any actions that upset the competitive balance of the league, including collusion, will result in the manager(s) involved being removed and replaced. Collusion is defined as actions that cause an unfair advantage, including attempting to combine rosters, ‘borrowing’ players (trading, then trading back), or tanking.

1.05 Team Total Salary: Teams must remain below $1,000 total salary.

2.0 Rosters

2.01 Rosters: Max: 24-man Active Roster. All players will be visible on ESPN. Minimum: each team requires a full roster (including K, TE, etc.) throughout the regular season, commencing prior to Week 1 Kickoff and continuing until the end of the calendar year.

2.02 Weekly Roster consists of: 1. QB, WR, WR/RB, WR/RB, WR/RB, RB, TE, K

2.03 A valid lineup must be submitted each week. Owners may start injured & bye week players only if they are at the Roster or Salary Maximum and have no other option on their active roster.

2.04 Team Summaries: (Rosters, including each player’s Salary and Team total Contract-Years) will be managed and posted to the League Website or emailed to all owners following the Rookie/Free Agent Draft and weekly in-Season by the commissioner after any transactions.

3.0 Building Your Team

3.01 Off-Season The “Off-Season Period” begins approximately three months prior to the season. At this time, teams will be populated on ESPN and teams are allowed to trade players.

3.02 Cuts Date: All players to be cut must be cut by August 1st. Prior to this deadline, teams will Cut players from their roster (in ESPN). All players released prior to this date will no longer count against the Roster total or total Salary. All players whose contracts have expired (at “0” remaining years) on this date must be cut/released.

3.03 Rookie/Free Agent Draft: A Rookie/Free Agent (R/FA) Draft, consisting of Rookies and available Free Agents will be held approximately (1) week prior to season kick-off. The Draft is auction style where players may bid up to their remaining available salary on players.

3.04 Assigning Contracts following Rookie/Free Agency Draft: Following the Rookie/Free Agent Draft, all players on rosters must be assigned a Contract. Please notify the commissioner of the contract length after the draft before the Week 1 kickoff.

3.05 Picking Up Players Cut In Season: When a player is picked up that has been cut during the current active season the acquiring team must also take on their previous salary and contract years. Owners may choose to extend the contract of the acquired player but cannot reduce their contract years at the time of acquisition.

3.06 Contracts: Contract information should be posted to the League Message Board or emailed to the Commissioner. Team Summaries (including each player’s Contract-Years and Team total Salary) will be posted to the League Website following the Rookie/Free Agent Draft and weekly by the commissioner after any transactions.

4.0 Transactions

4.01 Adds/Drops: Unlimited Adds/Drops allowed, within the constraints of the Roster and max Salary cap.

4.02 Players Added Require a Contract prior to the next week’s kickoff. When a player is added (via draft or in-season pickup), a Contract must be assigned (or the player cut) prior to the next week’s kickoff.

4.03 Drops: Off-Season Players dropped/released prior to ‘Cuts’ date no longer count against a Team’s total Roster or salary cap.

4.04 Drops In-Season: Players dropped in-season will result in a 10% salary cap penalty of the total remaining value of the player’s contract for the duration of the season. Drops do not count against a Team’s total Roster size.

4.05 Trades: Teams acquiring a player in Trade will assume the player’s previous Contact, and both teams must stay within their salary cap. Contracts cannot be extended when trading.

4.06 Yearly Trade Deadline: There is no Trade Deadline.

4.07 Add/Drops: Will be locked once all games kick off Week 16

4.08 Commissioner Approves Trades; Protests allowed. The commissioner approves/vetoes trades. Trades viewed to be grossly unbalanced (or indicative of collusion) will be overturned by the Commissioner. The Commissioner may call a league vote to determine validity of the trade if he deems it necessary or if any protests are made from the League.

4.09 No trade is final until there is an offer made, accepted, and approved by the Commissioner on the ESPN site.

4.10 Weekly Waivers: Waivers will be processed using a “blind bid” waiver system. Each team will get $100 to spend during the season. Owners can “bid” as much as they wish to on a free agent and then the highest bidder will win the player when waivers process on Thursday. The winning bid then becomes that player’s salary. Please note that this $100 is separate from the Salary cap and used strictly to determine player value.

4.10a If the player being claimed was rostered and cut during the season the claimant assumes the players previous contract and salary. The winning bidder can choose to extend the player’s contract if he or she chooses at this time.

5.0 Playoffs

5.01 Teams compete head-to-head from Weeks 1-13 of the NFL Regular Season.

5.02 Single-Elimination Fantasy Playoffs are conducted Weeks 14, 15, 16. Top 3 teams from each division advance in playoffs (10-team league), with the top 2 teams receiving a week 14 bye.

5.03 Divisions will be altered every year during the off-season. The top 6 finishing teams will be placed in Division 1 and the bottom six teams will be placed in Division 2. The top 3 teams from each division will move to the playoffs each year with the top team in each division securing a bye week 14.

6.0 Fees/Awards

6.01 $100 Entry Fee, due prior to entering the Free Agency period each year. If a manager is removed during the season, refunds are not provided.

6.02 Division Champion: (Top Seed decided at end of Week 13, determined by ESPN Default Rankings, W-L record, then Points).

Division Winner: $TBA

6.03 Head to Head Superbowl (occurs Week 16)

2nd Place: $TBA

Super Bowl Winner: $TBA, plus traveling team trophy (Should we decide to get one)

6.04 Toilet Bowl Winner is team scoring the most points of 6 teams NOT playing in the SuperBowl or for 3rd/4th place in Week 16. Point Total determined using "Optimal Lineup" of players still on each team's roster.

Toilet Bowl : $TBA

7.0 Scoring

7.01 No change to scoring, roster positions, or contesting of positions of a player will occur during the season unless there is a unanimous vote. All rule changes must be posed to the league and voted on prior to the start of Off-Season Free Agency.

7.02 Owners Responsible to Verify Scoring: League Scoring system entry into ESPN must be verified by all Owners at the start of the season. If there is an error discovered, it will be changed for future games only (will not retroactively change previous game outcomes). ESPN allows these settings to be saved and inherited year-to-year, so this should not be an issue.

APPENDIX A: Scoring Details

Passing Yards (20 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (4)

Interceptions (-2)

Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Reception Yards (10 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

Kicker/Misc:

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles Lost (-2)

Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)

Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)

Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)

Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)

Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)

Missed Field Goal (-1)

Missed Extra Point (-1)

Point After Attempt Made (1)

Sack (-.05)

Interception (-2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Go 2-QB. The league settings aren't the heart and the soul of a league, it's the individual rules. What do you think about teams outside of the playoff hunt trading players for future picks? Some leagues allow it, others think its tanking. When will your drafts be held? When is cut day? How many rounds is your annual rookie draft? Are veterans allowed in this draft, or must they be waiver acquisitions?

The settings are easy, hammering out rules is tougher.

I think a lot of your rules are going to pend on the preference of those original owners.

Our dynasties all hold their rookie drafts in early May, right after the NFL draft as it is a time when all the info is fresh but yet also opens the door for the "shrewd" owners who do their homework to draft the gems before they are talked about ad naseum for three months. Its also a time when people are generally itching to get back into football.

The one caveat is that you draft so early you may lose a rookie to injury but that is just preference. I personally like the way we do it for the reasons listed PLUS, if you draft late, a guy that could be a stud later but is injured usually falls too fall (Leshoure went top 5 in May, but went 2nd round right before the season started). No guarantee Leshoure returns to form but the perception was that he shouldn't have been a 2nd rounder. Food for thought.

Go 2-QB. The league settings aren't the heart and the soul of a league, it's the individual rules. What do you think about teams outside of the playoff hunt trading players for future picks? Some leagues allow it, others think its tanking. When will your drafts be held? When is cut day? How many rounds is your annual rookie draft? Are veterans allowed in this draft, or must they be waiver acquisitions? The settings are easy, hammering out rules is tougher.
What do you think about teams outside of the playoff hunt trading players for future picks?I see no problem with it. They're looking toward the future and still trying to better their team. When will your drafts be held?Initial draft would be after our season is over. Rookie Draft I'm thinking late May.How many rounds is your annual rookie draft?Four rounds sound good right?Are veterans allowed in this draft, or must they be waiver acquisitions? Rookies onlyThat's part of why I'm posting here to get such great advice and feedback! :D

#1 - Make sure you have 10 COMMITTED owners. Nothing worse than having someone drop out and trying to find a replacement who has to take over an awful team.

The scoring stuff is minor. Like others have said you need to work out rookie drafts, trading for picks, #IR slots, practice squad, how will you do cuts, free agent rules, free agents part of rookie draft, will you use contract years cap, salary cap, how will you define your cut rules, will you have franchise tages etc etc

The scoring stuff is minor. Like others have said you need to work out rookie drafts, trading for picks, #IR slots, practice squad, how will you do cuts, free agent rules, free agents part of rookie draft, will you use contract years cap, salary cap, how will you define your cut rules, will you have franchise tages etc etc
What do you mean by:practice squad, how will you do cuts, free agent rules, how will you define your cut rules, will you have franchise tags

What do you mean by:practice squad, how will you do cuts, free agent rules, how will you define your cut rules, will you have franchise tags
Well just for an example. Will your league have 24 active roster and 4 taxi squad? Will it just be 28 active rosters. Some leagues have taxi squads that they can "hold" players that don't count against a salary cap etc etc.Free agent rules - depending on how you set up your league (contracts, salary caps, nothing) you need to define what happens when a players contract is up, etc. If you are just keeping players without limits then this really doesn't matterCut rules - at end of season are you required to cut guys? One good player, any 3 players, one from a certain position etc. Again this will depend on how you set up your rosters and if you are going to have a "cap" system etcFranchise tags - similar to FA above. Really depends on how deep and complex you are goingETA: Most fo this depends on how you want to run this dynasty. Basic where you just keep all your guys all the time? Do you want to run it like a "real franchise" with certain limitations, etc etc

do salary based with $100 in season cap, off-season cap is $50 in $0.25 increments

live auction draft - including rookies

its the only fair way to draft, its loads of fun and every year the worst teams can become the best and the best the worst etc

Well just for an example. Will your league have 24 active roster and 4 taxi squad? Will it just be 28 active rosters. Some leagues have taxi squads that they can "hold" players that don't count against a salary cap etc etc.Free agent rules - depending on how you set up your league (contracts, salary caps, nothing) you need to define what happens when a players contract is up, etc. If you are just keeping players without limits then this really doesn't matterCut rules - at end of season are you required to cut guys? One good player, any 3 players, one from a certain position etc. Again this will depend on how you set up your rosters and if you are going to have a "cap" system etcFranchise tags - similar to FA above. Really depends on how deep and complex you are goingETA: Most fo this depends on how you want to run this dynasty. Basic where you just keep all your guys all the time? Do you want to run it like a "real franchise" with certain limitations, etc etc
Honestly I hadn't realized that there were so many options present. It sounds like I have a hell of a lot to learn. I love the idea of the auction style draft and salary caps but where do you find the salary values and how much should you give per team at auction? It's the initial draft I'm really struggling with as I was initially just going to do a snake draft but it sounds like an auction style would be more appropriate. I also love the idea of being able to trade rookie draft picks so I'm not sure about the whole auction for that but I guess that would eliminate "tanking" wouldn't it?

Maybe add 1.5 PPR for TE's

What about Devys? Allowing teams to select college players, who are not draft eligible....

Honestly I hadn't realized that there were so many options present. It sounds like I have a hell of a lot to learn. I love the idea of the auction style draft and salary caps but where do you find the salary values and how much should you give per team at auction? It's the initial draft I'm really struggling with as I was initially just going to do a snake draft but it sounds like an auction style would be more appropriate. I also love the idea of being able to trade rookie draft picks so I'm not sure about the whole auction for that but I guess that would eliminate "tanking" wouldn't it?
Auction and snake both have their place. I prefer snake, honestly. Nothing like a slow snake draft on MFL, in my opinion. If you do snake, reverse the 3rd round order to even it up. Also, roll for priority, not pick position. Let the owners decide where they pick in the order.Just my preferences.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I've updated the OP and have completely redone what I had. I essentially did away with Draft Picks all together in favor of an auction style format.

Couple things I see. Personally, and this is just me. I would make the initial draft auction and then subsequent years rookie/fa drafts based on finish the prior year. The problem with this is I'm not sure how you assign $$ value to a player. If you keep it as an auction for the rookie/fa you will never be able to trade draft picks.

How much is a free agent pickup? Is he $1 per season?

Couple things I see. Personally, and this is just me. I would make the initial draft auction and then subsequent years rookie/fa drafts based on finish the prior year. The problem with this is I'm not sure how you assign $$ value to a player. If you keep it as an auction for the rookie/fa you will never be able to trade draft picks.How much is a free agent pickup? Is he $1 per season?
Since the waivers will be blind bid auction whatever the winning bid is will be that player's salary, there won't be typical free agency. I wasn't going to do the trading of draft picks opting for the auction style instead.

Couple things I see. Personally, and this is just me. I would make the initial draft auction and then subsequent years rookie/fa drafts based on finish the prior year. The problem with this is I'm not sure how you assign $$ value to a player. If you keep it as an auction for the rookie/fa you will never be able to trade draft picks.How much is a free agent pickup? Is he $1 per season?
Since the waivers will be blind bid auction whatever the winning bid is will be that player's salary, there won't be typical free agency. I wasn't going to do the trading of draft picks opting for the auction style instead.
:thumbup: Was just skimming through.I see your minimum listed so they have to have 24?

:thumbup: Was just skimming through.I see your minimum listed so they have to have 24?
Actually I think I'm going to reword that. They can roster up to 24 but don't HAVE to roster 24. I'll make that fix! THANK YOU! :D

Actually I think I'm going to reword that. They can roster up to 24 but don't HAVE to roster 24. I'll make that fix! THANK YOU! :D
You may want to keep some sort of minimum. I could see some guy going balls out for players ending up with 16 players, being dominant for a couple years before crashing to rebuild. I don't know if anyone would actually try that but it would help with league "integrity"

Yeah I think I'll post a 20 man min. With the penalty incurred for cutting a player in-season some owners might like to keep a couple bench slots open for the hot pickups.

Users who are viewing this thread