What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers of 04' and Steelers of 05' (1 Viewer)

steeltime

Footballguy
the first is obvious:-Big Ben maturing and being more focused and less pressure after going 15-1but it seems like they had the better team last year. im just curious what else do you think was the differance?

the first is obvious:

-Big Ben maturing and being more focused and less pressure after going 15-1

but it seems like they had the better team last year. im just curious what else do you think was the differance?
They're a better team this year regardless of the record. The offense is worlds better this year because of Ben's maturation as a QB. They couldn't trust him at the end of the 2004 season because he had hit the rookie wall, but this year he's obviously much improved. Better leadership, better pocket presense, better decision making. And most of all, the coaches can trust him to win the game when the opposing defense stacks the line to stop the run.

The defense is better because Kimo and Aaron Smith are having big years. The biggest defensive difference is in the secondary, because Ike Taylor is developing into a shut down corner and Polamalu has taken his game to another level. Having Townsend out there as a starter and having Chris Hope with another year of experience is huge, too.

Losing that game to the Bengals took away their sense of entitlement really fast. Instead of winning that game, going forward to win the division and developing a sense of complacency, the Steelers were instantly forced into having to play play-off football with virtually no room for error. I think the play-offs have only been more a continuation of the regular season for them rather than a new season as it is for most teams, not that that takes away from the accomplishment itself.

Not having to play the Patriots in January. ;) (Only half-joking.)I actually think the best thing that could have happened to them, as alluded before, is that the Bengals took away their "entitlement" or "swagger" or whatever you want to call it.I think that the Steelers, in their 15-1 or 14-2 type seasons, can get a little too cocky and arrogant and read into their own clippings. Being deified by their local fan base only feeds into this mentality.Playing the role of underdog was I think a necessary change of pace for this franchise and its coach. They've adopted the Patriots "No one believes in us, its us against the world" mantra, and its paying off.

Game planning not so vanilla this time around. The pass first mentality really caught the other teams off guard.

Game planning not so vanilla this time around. The pass first mentality really caught the other teams off guard.
I would agree with this as well. Cowher def. also played a lot more aggressively with a lead than he has in years past, which was good to see out of him.

I'd much rather have Plaxico Burress than Randel El or Cedrick Wilson. Think what a mature Big Ben could do with a monster WR like Plax. The two had great chemistry too, I remember Big Ben lobbied for him to be re-signed.

There were 19 different teams that played as the 05 Steelers this year, and 18 different teams that played as the 04 Steelers last year. I'm sure most of the top 5, 10, N amount of teams would be pretty evenly split, although the bottom few teams would surely be represented by Tommy Maddox this year.

There were 19 different teams that played as the 05 Steelers this year, and 18 different teams that played as the 04 Steelers last year. I'm sure most of the top 5, 10, N amount of teams would be pretty evenly split, although the bottom few teams would surely be represented by Tommy Maddox this year.
I think I get what you're saying, but you phrased this really awkwardly dude.

I"m a moron but :confused:

I think he's saying that the Steelers of this season, 2005, who have played in 19 games (weeks 1-16 + 3 play-off games) and the 2004 Steelers who played in 18 games (weeks 1-16 + 2 play-off games) are more or less the same quality of team in their top 5 or 10 performances over-all based on a game-by-game basis. In other words, the same Steelers who peaked in 2004 around weeks 5-10 that beat the hell out of the Patriots and Eagles in consecutive weeks are the same Steelers that have been peaking in this year's play-offs. They're roughly on the same level is what he's saying I think.

I think we're also getting back into the traditional NFL, the way it used to be, where you can't really succeed without paying your dues first by going through the fire and losing.For a while, with the 4-12 Rams and 5-11 Patriots winning titles the next year, it was all about quick turnarounds. But the league, particularly the AFC, seems to have stabilized with top-caliber QBs staying healthy (good luck to Palmer as I say that) and staying put.So it's a lot of the same players year in and year out. The Steelers, particularly stars Roethlisberger and Polamalu, learned a lot from last year's run and know now what it takes.

I think he's saying that the Steelers of this season, 2005, who have played in 19 games (weeks 1-16 + 3 play-off games) and the 2004 Steelers who played in 18 games (weeks 1-16 + 2 play-off games) are more or less the same quality of team in their top 5 or 10 performances over-all based on a game-by-game basis. In other words, the same Steelers who peaked in 2004 around weeks 5-10 that beat the hell out of the Patriots and Eagles in consecutive weeks are the same Steelers that have been peaking in this year's play-offs. They're roughly on the same level is what he's saying I think.
Pretty much.It's tough to compare teams from different years. When you compare the '04 Steelers to the '05 Steelers, do you consider Tommy Maddox' terrible performances for the '05 Steelers? How do you reconcile the two games against the Colts?

The '05 Steelers were not one team that is always the same; no team ever is. The '05 Steelers peaked when it mattered most, while the '04 Steelers peaked in the middle.

I'd much rather have Plaxico Burress than Randel El or Cedrick Wilson. Think what a mature Big Ben could do with a monster WR like Plax. The two had great chemistry too, I remember Big Ben lobbied for him to be re-signed.
Heath Miller offset the loss of Burress and actually may have made the team better since he gives Ben as safety-valve and can move the chains. No question about Burress big play ability, but it was all or nothing with him. Hines Ward took up the big play slack and allowed Miller to be the possession guy.The way I see it:

2005 Ward = 2004 Burress

2005 Miller = 2004 Ward

Difference between the '04 and '05 Steelers - better rushing because of Parker's speed and maturity of Roethlisberger.

I think that the Steelers, in their 15-1 or 14-2 type seasons, can get a little too cocky and arrogant and read into their own clippings. Being deified by their local fan base only feeds into this mentality.

Playing the role of underdog was I think a necessary change of pace for this franchise and its coach.
Doesn't bode well for the superbowl.

I think that the Steelers, in their 15-1 or 14-2 type seasons, can get a little too cocky and arrogant and read into their own clippings. Being deified by their local fan base only feeds into this mentality.

Playing the role of underdog was I think a necessary change of pace for this franchise and its coach.
Doesn't bode well for the superbowl.
It will actually be very interesting to see this teams attitude as it heads to Detroit 4 pt favs. If Cowher is smart he will try to maintain the same mentality that helped to galvanize them during their remarkable run-of-the-table to end the season and carried them throughout into the playoffs.My guess is that a enough guys remember the sting of their 2001 hubris and will try to keep the younger pups in check.

How did Plax perform for the Giants in the playoffs? How has Randle El and Wilson performed for the Steelers in the playoffs? I'll gladly take Randle El and Wilson over the overrated Plexiglass.

The difference is having Fast Willie Parker to form a two headed RB monster with Jerome Bettis.If you can keep Bettis fresh, then he is WAY more effective.

The Steelers secondary is much better now than last year. Ike Taylor has really grown into a decent corner and is worlds better than old-man Willie Williams. Chris Hope and Deshea Townsend have had a solid year and of course Troy Polamalu has been outstanding. Bryant McFadden has also been impressive as a rookie. I think if Townsend signs elsewhere McFadden moves right in as the starter. Colclough and Carter have done a pretty good job in the dime.The best part about it is the secondary is very young and should only be better season. The signing of Chris Hope, who will be an UFA, should be a top priority, IMO.

How did Plax perform for the Giants in the playoffs? How has Randle El and Wilson performed for the Steelers in the playoffs? I'll gladly take Randle El and Wilson over the overrated Plexiglass.
Well, of course the Giants laid an egg in the playoffs. I still think the Steelers would be an even more impressive team with Burress instead of Cedrick Wilson (Randel El would still be on the team in any case).

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially for the money the Giants overpaid for that malcontent.

The Steelers secondary is much better now than last year.

Ike Taylor has really grown into a decent corner and is worlds better than old-man Willie Williams. Chris Hope and Deshea Townsend have had a solid year and of course Troy Polamalu has been outstanding.

Bryant McFadden has also been impressive as a rookie. I think if Townsend signs elsewhere McFadden moves right in as the starter. Colclough and Carter have done a pretty good job in the dime.

The best part about it is the secondary is very young and should only be better season. The signing of Chris Hope, who will be an UFA, should be a top priority, IMO.
I think there is a good chance McFadden is the starter no matter what happens.

They actually gave him a pretty low-ball deal, if you look at it, all the big money is loaded onto the end of the contract, it's a cheap deal for the first few years of it.

The Steelers had a better regular season last year because Roethlisberger stayed healthy and Cinci was still a crap team.Put Ben on the field all sixteen and magically make Cinci suck again, and you're looking at a 14-2 regular season with probable losses to only NE and Indy, and the one-game difference is virtually meaningless.Naturally, Cinci is indeed a good team now. Not taking that away from them. Just saying it's a difference. Jacksonville and Baltimore in the games they beat Pittsburgh don't stay within a TD the way they played if Big Ben is on the field.But hey, injuries happen, and rivals get better. (Except the Browns, who always seem to bite.) That's just the NFL. Reading much into 15-1 versus 11-5 is a mistake, IMO.

They actually gave him a pretty low-ball deal, if you look at it, all the big money is loaded onto the end of the contract, it's a cheap deal for the first few years of it.
I don't remember the exact details of the contract, but I remember it being around 26 million. I do remember that he could hardly get anyone to offer him a contract. He's already starting to wear out his welcome after one season in NY.

Here is how the two clubs compare according to my data:04pit 5157 yards, 343 points = 15.03 O, 3867 yards, 227 points = 17.04 D05pit 14.10 O, 17.84 DBased upon yards divided by points in the regular season, the 05 edition was better on both sides of the ball. Going into these numbers a little more: An offensive efficiency of 15 yards per point (2004 pit) is pretty pedestrian. You'd like it to be closer to 14 at least, if not lower. We've seen some great offenses around 12 yards per point. So the 05 offense is pretty good - is it because of Ben as the thread-starter said?A defensive efficiency of 17 is also pretty pedestrian. We've seen super bowl champs over 20 yards per point allowed. The Ravens were over 25. The 05 edition is at 17.84, which really isn't a whole lot better. The problem for the Steelers' defense in 2004 and 2005 has been that they give up an awful lot of points for the yardage they allow. We hear the term bend-but-don't break, well, the Steelers are definitely not like that.Only three champs in the last 15 years have had a worse defensive efficiency than the 05 Steelers (94 49ers, 97 Broncos, 98 Broncos). And all three of those had a far stronger running game, imho.

Here is how the two clubs compare according to my data:

04pit 5157 yards, 343 points = 15.03 O, 3867 yards, 227 points = 17.04 D

05pit 14.10 O, 17.84 D

Based upon yards divided by points in the regular season, the 05 edition was better on both sides of the ball.  Going into these numbers a little more:

An offensive efficiency of 15 yards per point (2004 pit) is pretty pedestrian.  You'd like it to be closer to 14 at least, if not lower.  We've seen some great offenses around 12 yards per point.  So the 05 offense is pretty good - is it because of Ben as the thread-starter said?

A defensive efficiency of 17 is also pretty pedestrian.  We've seen super bowl champs over 20 yards per point allowed.  The Ravens were over 25.    The 05 edition is at 17.84, which really isn't a whole lot better. 

The problem for the Steelers' defense in 2004 and 2005 has been that they give up an awful lot of points for the yardage they allow.  We hear the term bend-but-don't break, well, the Steelers are definitely not like that.

Only three champs in the last 15 years have had a worse defensive efficiency than the 05 Steelers (94 49ers, 97 Broncos, 98 Broncos). And all three of those had a far stronger running game, imho.
BGP-There is a reason that football analysts never discuss yards per point. It is fundamentally flawed. If you are going to measure yards per point you'd better also factor in starting field position. A drive starting on the 50 that goes 15 yards and results in a successful field goal from the 35 (52 yards) nets yards per point of 5.0. Most would say this defense did well to hold their opponent to a long field goal attempt. Using your simple data that is not the case. However a defense that allows a 90 yard TD drive that chews up half of a quarter comes away with a yards per point of 12.9. This second defense rates better in your flawed system when clearly it is not.

Here is how the two clubs compare according to my data:

04pit 5157 yards, 343 points = 15.03 O, 3867 yards, 227 points = 17.04 D

05pit 14.10 O, 17.84 D

Based upon yards divided by points in the regular season, the 05 edition was better on both sides of the ball. Going into these numbers a little more:

An offensive efficiency of 15 yards per point (2004 pit) is pretty pedestrian. You'd like it to be closer to 14 at least, if not lower. We've seen some great offenses around 12 yards per point. So the 05 offense is pretty good - is it because of Ben as the thread-starter said?

A defensive efficiency of 17 is also pretty pedestrian. We've seen super bowl champs over 20 yards per point allowed. The Ravens were over 25. The 05 edition is at 17.84, which really isn't a whole lot better.

The problem for the Steelers' defense in 2004 and 2005 has been that they give up an awful lot of points for the yardage they allow. We hear the term bend-but-don't break, well, the Steelers are definitely not like that.

Only three champs in the last 15 years have had a worse defensive efficiency than the 05 Steelers (94 49ers, 97 Broncos, 98 Broncos). And all three of those had a far stronger running game, imho.
I've been reading BGP's drivel for years - going back to the days of RSFF. I would bet my house that over half of every post this guy has ever composed has included at least a hint of his hatred for the Steelers. It's sad too. While the rivalry between Pittsburgh and Cleveland wouldn't be the same without the fans having a certain "hatred" for each other, this guy is just over the top. I'll never forget how we Steeler fans acted at the last game vs. Cleveland before Modell moved the team to Baltimore. Pittsburgh fans showed their class - almost every fan in the stadium, including myself, wore orange arm bands to show our support for Cleveland. Pittsburgh fans hate the Browns, we make fun of Cleveland, but we also understand that the hatred isn't real - that it's a way to make the rivalry more fun - and that when it comes down to it there is a certain respect and camaraderie that exists. But not with BGP. And for this reason he is only person that has ever actually pissed me off on the internet. But you know what? Not now. I'm loving each and every post he has made over the past month or so. Since the Steeler's pedestrian offense put up 41 points and pedestrian defense pitched a shutout and kicked the #### of his Browns, I've been actively looking for his posts.

BGP, the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to the Super Bowl, and your Browns are sitting at home again.

Take that stat and crunch it.

:towelwave:

Difference was Big Ben not fading down the stretch when a team has to be better than they were all year.No rookie wall or sophomore slump put them over the edge.

(haven't read the thread)Patriots in 2004 > Broncos in 2005. The Steelers weren't necessarily any better than they were last season.

Users who are viewing this thread