What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve Smith yet to welcome Meshawn (1 Viewer)

Quez

Footballguy
from profootblltalk.com:

POSTED 9:07 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:10 a.m. EDT, April 17, 2006

SMITH SAYS KEY IS NO MOOSE

Panthers receiver Steve Smith hasn't exactly rolled out the welcome wagon for receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who signed last month with Carolina after being cut by the Cowboys.

During an April 7 celebrity golf tournament hosted by former N.C. State stars Torry and Terrence Holt, Smith told the Raleigh News & Observer that Keyshawn is no replacement for Muhsin Muhammad, who was dumped by the Panthers in 2005.

Asked if Johnson will help the Panthers' offense, Smith said: "I don't know. Everybody wants me to speculate. I can't speculate. The natural thing to say is 'yeah he's going to help us', but time will tell.

"Nobody plays like Moose," Smith added. "Nobody ever will play like Moose to me."

Smith, in our view, can expect a response -- public or private -- from Johnson, who has shown a tendency to fly off the handle from time to time. So has Smith, who several years ago suckered punch a teammate in the film room.

And it could be that Smith is in the process of developing into yet another NFL pass-catching diva, who might feel threatened by the arrival of a guy who once upon a time was far bigger than Smith has yet become. Though Smith is younger and, in our view, better than Johnson, Keyshawn could ring up superior numbers in 2006, since Smith will continue to be blanketed by opposing defenses -- making it easier for Johnson to get free.

Smith shouldn't have said anything publicly regarding Johnson, if Smith wasn't going to say anything positive. The Panthers made it to the NFC title game in 2005 without Muhammad, and Johnson can only help the cause in 2006.

But if Johnson and Smith are feuding, it could impede the team's progress toward the broader goal of delivering a Lombardi to Charlotte.

:tfp:

I hope this is not a honda :unsure:

from profootblltalk.com:

Though Smith is younger and, in our view, better than Johnson, Keyshawn could ring up superior numbers in 2006, since Smith will continue to be blanketed by opposing defenses -- making it easier for Johnson to get free.
:lmao: Colbert could ring up superior numbers in 2006.

Maybe I should start a website.

Jeez...talk about taking something out of context...Moose basically mentored Smith before he left for the Bears.

from profootblltalk.com:Though Smith is younger and, in our view, better than Johnson, Keyshawn could ring up superior numbers in 2006,
I'd bet that becomes a sig

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez...talk about taking something out of context...Moose basically mentored Smith before he left for the Bears.
I agree. Moose was definitely Smith's mentor. As for the Keyshawn stuff, it sounds like a writer just spinning a comment in order to create drama. Smith was the biggest proponent for having Keyshawn sign with the Panthers.

I agree. Moose was definitely Smith's mentor. As for the Keyshawn stuff, it sounds like a writer just spinning a comment in order to create drama. Smith was the biggest proponent for having Keyshawn sign with the Panthers.
:goodposting:

:goodposting: Smith is the one that pimped Key to the Panthers FO.

ordinarily I'd agree, but this comment
Asked if Johnson will help the Panthers' offense, Smith said: "I don't know. Everybody wants me to speculate. I can't speculate. The natural thing to say is 'yeah he's going to help us', but time will tell.
is a bit odd. why not just give the company line?

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I personally think they should throw it to Keyshawn on every play and not throw it to Steve Smith. That's what I'm hoping." — Bucs coach Jon Gruden on Keyshawn Johnson being back in the NFC South with the Panthers

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I personally think they should throw it to Keyshawn on every play and not throw it to Steve Smith. That's what I'm hoping." — Bucs coach Jon Gruden on Keyshawn Johnson being back in the NFC South with the Panthers
:RIMSHOT: :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread