What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steven Jackson (1 Viewer)

Pittsburgh United

Footballguy
Hi Guys - I've been pretty scarce here during this offseason, that's how bad a taste last season left in my mouth. I put together a solid team, but SJax was my 1st rd pick (at #2) and missing him all those weeks killed me. So fast forward to this year, and I'm holding the #5 pick and may very well be looking at SJax again. I'm wondering if any other guys who had him last year would consider drafting him again this year. Losing him to injury and having him kill my team two years in a row would drive a stake through my fantasy football heart.

The only thing to be concerned about regarding Jackson's fantasy success: the Rams' offensive line.

If they are healthy, they will be decent. If more than one injury occurs, they will stink again.

Consider, though, that Jackson had over 100 yards from scrimmage in 7 of the last 8 games.... after his torn groin and with a decimated offensive line. He totaled 933 yards and 5 TDs in the last 8 games in about the worst possible situation.

He'll be fine, and may be a STEAL at pick 5.

Injury prone RB with an Injury prone QB and an Injury prone OL. Bad defense on the field alot. Recipe for disaster.

Injury prone RB with an Injury prone QB and an Injury prone OL. Bad defense on the field alot. Recipe for disaster.
I just shake my head when rb's are quick to be considered injury prone when he has only missed 7 games of his 4 year career thus far. He had a complete year last year. This guy has not proven one inkling that he is injury prone to me yet. Aside from that argument, the injury prone qb, ol, and bad defense is all the more reason to say he's such a great rb considering he can still put up those numbers with all of that baggage he has to work with.

Im in the same spot (almost pick 6) and i am sure he will be there and i have to take him. i am concerned for sure but everyone is healthy and they should have a good team this year. i personally am keeping an eye on jackson's injuries , i thought i hear he is still a little banged up but im not sure.

I traded for Sjax last year during the preseason, gave up Bush and Housh for him. That being said, I would take him again. I just saw WAY too much go wrong to the Rams for me to think the guy won't bounce back. Sjax hurt his groin, then his back, had his o-line decimated, quarterback go down time and again and STILL had 1,000 yards rushing and found pay dirt 6 times with a decent 4.2 ypc. I think I read somewhere that at some point the starting linemen had missed 44 games and they were down to third stringers. I don't need to know the specifics, I know enough to know that will likely not happen again. Call me an optimist, but I think he returns to close to 2006 form. I can see 4.3/4.4 for 1400 and 11 scores, along with 65-75 receptions and a couple scores. There are negatives to be sure, but I have a feeling the guy is in for a top 3 RB year.

I'm seriously considering Marion Barber ahead of SJax at #5. This is a down year all around - nobody is a sure thing, IMO. But the first round seems to be completely chaotic as far as RBs. I seriously could not take guys like Gore, Addai or Portis ahead of MB3.

I'm seriously considering Marion Barber ahead of SJax at #5. This is a down year all around - nobody is a sure thing, IMO. But the first round seems to be completely chaotic as far as RBs. I seriously could not take guys like Gore, Addai or Portis ahead of MB3.
:kicksrock:
Everything about MB3's situation looks more attractive than SJ's.
Except the fact that he has never carried a full load and the Cowboys have drafted a first round RB. I am not saying that MB3 won't do well this year, I am on high on him myself, but every RB has some questions marks. But to your point, he does have a more favorable situation, but it remains to be seen what MB3 will do with a full load.

I think the St. Louis offense is THE big question this year in fantasy. If they can return to the form they had in 2005 and 2006, SJAX and Marc Bulger will have great value on draft day. If the wheels are well and truly off, you can Sjax will be okay, like last year, and bulger will kill you.

I am of the mind that this is exactly the kind of risk-reward situation that wins championships.

:thumbup:
With the exception that SJ has performed as good or better than MB3 when on the field and he has 0 competition for carries. Barber will never be a 300 carry RB and SJax already has been and will continue to be. He also has less RZ options to fight with. So not sure what about MB's situation looks more attractive other than Dallas is a better team than StL right now.

:thumbup:
With the exception that SJ has performed as good or better than MB3 when on the field and he has 0 competition for carries. Barber will never be a 300 carry RB and SJax already has been and will continue to be. He also has less RZ options to fight with. So not sure what about MB's situation looks more attractive other than Dallas is a better team than StL right now.
This is exactly what I alluded to Gianmarco - I feel the same way - with one exception. I think MB3 has basically monopolized RZ opportunities, so that is basically a draw. Though I did hear that Felix Jones may be a goal line option as well.

Pace is slated to return and assuming his shoulder has healed, he will greatly influence the effectiveness of the whole offensive line. I believe Steven Jackson is playing for a contract this season and he knows it. If he does fail to live up to the lofty expectations, it won't be due to lack of effort.

even if they are half way better than last year he could see 1800 total yards and 13-15 tds. ill take that in the top 6 all day.

My issue with Jax isn't Jax...it's the Ram situation. I have a real bad vibe about this team and could really see them imploding. Bulger is always a threat to get hurt, the O line is very dicey and after Holt (who's putting on some miles) a once vaunted WR unit is pretty thin. Add that to a HC who I believe will be looking for a new job in 2009 and I see a team that could really have a difficult 2008. It's not Jackson's fault but I do get a little nervous about using a top 5-6 pick on a player in this type situation.

Overall if Jax stays healthy I think he can weather the storm and put up a solid year (and I could see a ton of garbage time fantasy points). The question is can he weather it enough to justify his draft position. Due to far better situations I'd rather have Peterson, LT, Westy and Addai (and possibly Brady if the scoring is QB friendly although that's a tough one). After that every other RB on the board comes with a question mark and I'd probably put Jax at the head of the pack (although Barber is tempting). As long as he plays a full 16 I don't see him not being a top 10 RB...and if the Rams do right the ship the sky's the limit as he makes a big push towards a new contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Steven Jackson has been in an absolutely awful situation, he's put up respectable numbers.

When Steven Jackson has been in a very bad situation, he's put up good/great numbers.

When Steven Jackson has been in a mediocre situation, he's put up beyond studly numbers.

His situation will never again be as bad as it was during the "awful situation" stretch. Few will ever be stuck in that poor of a situation. As someone else mentioned, even in a bad situation Jackson was great down the stretch last year.

In a league where teams go from greatness to crap and from crap to greatness from year to year for no explicable reason, a guy who has already proven he can be great on an awful team is a guy you want. All you need for him to be great is for his team to be mediocre. With most guys you're relying on the player to be great, and the players around him to be great to end up with a top 5 year. It's nice to not have to count on the players around him for his numbers to shine through.

When Steven Jackson has been in an absolutely awful situation, he's put up respectable numbers.When Steven Jackson has been in a very bad situation, he's put up good/great numbers.When Steven Jackson has been in a mediocre situation, he's put up beyond studly numbers.His situation will never again be as bad as it was during the "awful situation" stretch. Few will ever be stuck in that poor of a situation. As someone else mentioned, even in a bad situation Jackson was great down the stretch last year.In a league where teams go from greatness to crap and from crap to greatness from year to year for no explicable reason, a guy who has already proven he can be great on an awful team is a guy you want. All you need for him to be great is for his team to be mediocre. With most guys you're relying on the player to be great, and the players around him to be great to end up with a top 5 year. It's nice to not have to count on the players around him for his numbers to shine through.
Great posting.

Pittsburgh United said:
Hi Guys - I've been pretty scarce here during this offseason, that's how bad a taste last season left in my mouth. I put together a solid team, but SJax was my 1st rd pick (at #2) and missing him all those weeks killed me. So fast forward to this year, and I'm holding the #5 pick and may very well be looking at SJax again. I'm wondering if any other guys who had him last year would consider drafting him again this year. Losing him to injury and having him kill my team two years in a row would drive a stake through my fantasy football heart.
If it makes you feel any better (I doubt it) you likely win your championship if you had Sjax two years ago. So while I can understand your frustration with the guy he actually had decent stats for a guy who sustained the injuries he did. Granted, those stats didn't come close to justifying the price you likely paid to get him but it's not as if the guy had opportunity but simply squandered it (yeah ... I'm talking to you Cedric Benson).St Louis's line doesn't figure to be better than the 20th ranked unit in the league but if they can avoid half the injuries of '07 and Bulger can play 13 games Jax is a lock for 1,200 and 8+ TD's assuming 16 games.

Pittsburgh United said:
If it makes you feel any better (I doubt it) you likely win your championship if you had Sjax two years ago. So while I can understand your frustration with the guy he actually had decent stats for a guy who sustained the injuries he did. Granted, those stats didn't come close to justifying the price you likely paid to get him but it's not as if the guy had opportunity but simply squandered it (yeah ... I'm talking to you Cedric Benson).St Louis's line doesn't figure to be better than the 20th ranked unit in the league but if they can avoid half the injuries of '07 and Bulger can play 13 games Jax is a lock for 1,200 and 8+ TD's assuming 16 games.
are you high ? last year was a total disaster and he had 1270 yards and 6 tds ,if what you say does hold true i see more like, 1500-1700 and 10-15 tds

Pittsburgh United said:
are you high ? last year was a total disaster and he had 1270 yards and 6 tds ,if what you say does hold true i see more like, 1500-1700 and 10-15 tds
I'd rather underpromise and overdeliver ... I should've been more specific ... over 1,200 RUSHING ...and no, I haven't been smoking .... but I have been drinking!

I have SJax #1 on my board this year entering Training Camp. Keep in mind I play in 1/2PPR for RB leagues.

When making projections, you can't assume injuries IMO. Therefore, take SJax for 16 games and 110 per game. That gets him over 1700 yards. TD can fluctuate, but I'm slotting him for 14 (with great upside).

Who is the OC in St. Louis? Al Saunders. He has helped many an offense to do great things!

I, for one, am looking to buy. I've always been a fan but have had trouble prying him from his owner the past few years. If I have any chance of getting him in my keeper league, this would be the best time as I don't see his value ever being lower. We can keep one player per position, and I am considering trading either Bush or Ryan Grant (both are question marks)and Welker (he is desperate for a WR and I have Moss as my keeper) for SJax. I think STL will have better luck in the health department this year and he will post top 5 numbers.

I have SJax #1 on my board this year entering Training Camp. Keep in mind I play in 1/2PPR for RB leagues. When making projections, you can't assume injuries IMO. Therefore, take SJax for 16 games and 110 per game. That gets him over 1700 yards. TD can fluctuate, but I'm slotting him for 14 (with great upside).Who is the OC in St. Louis? Al Saunders. He has helped many an offense to do great things!
x2.He's my #1 at this point.

Pittsburgh United said:
SJax might lead the league in rushing this season..

SJax might lead the league in rushing this season..
:lmao:

I just drafted SJax #2 ahead of LT2 in a new keeper ppr league, ADP went first. Contract year and great talent, no way should he fall under 3 in any dynasty or keeper league imo!

Like most other 1st round RB's if he is hurt he will "kill you," if he is healthy he'll probably do you well. If you have figured out how to predict injuries please let me know, otherwise - good luck, hopefully your stud stays intact.

Like most other 1st round RB's if he is hurt he will "kill you," if he is healthy he'll probably do you well. If you have figured out how to predict injuries please let me know, otherwise - good luck, hopefully your stud stays intact.
It's pretty hard to argue with that.

Well, can we predict? No. However, muscle tears, especially tears that cause players to miss time, tend to be the injuries that linger around. Fragile Fred was a chroinc hamstring strain that bothered him for quite some time before he got it settled down. Ahmad Green with the chronic quad strain. If there was no indication of the injury bothering him, I would have no issue with drafting him that high because he certainly is that talented. But there have been reports of the groin and ankle bothering him in OTAs after he has treated it for 3 months. Is it a reason for the team not to have him practice ala C. Portis last year, or Westbrook during the season? maybe, but this is a specific injury that bothered him last year, while Portis and Westbrook injuries were reported as tendonitits.

I currently have S.Jax @ #3. after LT2 & AP for the following reasons!

1. Al Saunders as OC...has worked worders for many other elite RB's (Portis,Faulk,Holmes)

2. Jacob Bell OG signing...can pave holes for him next to Pace

3. Contract year - oh ya!

4. Age - just 25 and getting into his prime

5. Catches an avg. of 55 rec's a year

I don't think I can hold any negative value to him or the rest of the team for their injuries last year....all reports are positive for S.Jax, Bulgar, Pace, Holt this year.

Just how I see it...

LT2

AP

Jackson

Addai

Westbrook

MB3

Portis

MaGahee

The loss of Orlando Pace and other offensive lineman, as well as his injury, gave SJax a disappointing year. Not only him but the rest of his team can only do better than what they did last year. He has to be a top 5 pick, if not definitely top 10.

ATC1 said:
Well, can we predict? No. However, muscle tears, especially tears that cause players to miss time, tend to be the injuries that linger around. Fragile Fred was a chroinc hamstring strain that bothered him for quite some time before he got it settled down. Ahmad Green with the chronic quad strain. If there was no indication of the injury bothering him, I would have no issue with drafting him that high because he certainly is that talented. But there have been reports of the groin and ankle bothering him in OTAs after he has treated it for 3 months. Is it a reason for the team not to have him practice ala C. Portis last year, or Westbrook during the season? maybe, but this is a specific injury that bothered him last year, while Portis and Westbrook injuries were reported as tendonitits.
This is what concerns me the most.

ATC1 said:
This is what concerns me the most.
SJax is too big to hold up for a long time in the NFL. It's just a simple truth that bigger backs wear down faster. I for one won't draft SJax early...

the rams concern me greatly, I was heavily invested in them last year. I had bulger and Sjax on my roster.. I split the difference, traded bulger and a pick for ELI going into 2008..

I acquired Steven Jackson last year in a trade just as he was coming off of his injury, and he just about single-handedly won me a championship - he was simply amazing at the end of the season. I have the 3rd pick this year, and I'm not even thinking twice about taking him there

Users who are viewing this thread