What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stills traded to Miami (1 Viewer)

T-minus 48 hours to Mike Wallace blasts off the roster.
Maybe. They only gain 2.5 in cap space if they cut him, so why not keep him for one more year? Stills, along with Cameron and Landry will be fine if they decide to cut him, but I don't see the rush to cut him. There's no point. In fact, they can threaten him with being cut in August, when no one is looking to spend. Cutting him now only does him a favor. I think Wallace is probably on his best behavior.

anyone think they trade Wallace to a team like the Browns or Raiders who need to take on some money

Last edited by a moderator:
Via Armando Salguero:

Now I'm being told there were questions about Kenny Stills's work habits. Apparently enjoys the nightlife. No worries in Miami.

Maybe. They only gain 2.5 in cap space if they cut him, so why not keep him for one more year? Stills, along with Cameron and Landry will be fine if they decide to cut him, but I don't see the rush to cut him. There's no point. In fact, they can threaten him with being cut in August, when no one is looking to spend. Cutting him now only does him a favor. I think Wallace is probably on his best behavior.
Only $3M of his $9.9M salary is guaranteed. It won't help the cap but that's $6.9M in real money savings.

Only $3M of his $9.9M salary is guaranteed. It won't help the cap but that's $6.9M in real money savings.
Miami strike you as a team worried about cash this offseason?

so is cooks gonna catch all of the balls? or are the saints gonna dump brees and try to be a running team? seems like a pretty strange move after the graham trade.

Their cap is at $150M right now. It a virtual certainty he's not on the team when the season starts.

Their cap is at $150M right now. It a virtual certainty he's not on the team when the season starts.
No, it isn't.

This is interesting: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-mike-wallace-dannell-ellerbe-each-guaranteed-3-million-from-dolphins-in-2015-20150313-story.html

Wallace, who has been on the trading block all offseason, and Ellerbe were each guaranteed $3 million because of a clause that was triggered last March 15. According to a league source, each contract does feature offset language, which would allow the Dolphins to reduce their payout based on what each player makes in 2015 if they are released and sign with another team.

The $3M guaranteed is irrelevant. Wallace's contract has offset language, so the Dolphins won't have to pay a penny of it. The Dolphins will save $5.5 M in cap and $9.9 M in cash if/when they cut or trade him.

After the trade, the Dolphins have around $11 M in cap space. If you subtract the $7 M cap hold for Clay, they have around $18 M, so they could keep Wallace without much difficulty, but I doubt they will. Much of that extra space should be rolled over to deal with Suh's big cap hit next year. Wallace isn't worth $10 M a year;Stills becomes the replacement deep threat. I would be very surprised if Wallace returns at this point.

massraider said:
Donnybrook said:
Wouldn't it be 2.5 in cap space this year plus whatever cap hit he brings next year to be cut then? Compared to 2.5mil saved this year and him being completely off the books next year.

cvnpoka said:
so is cooks gonna catch all of the balls? or are the saints gonna dump brees and try to be a running team? seems like a pretty strange move after the graham trade.
Seems logical that they're looking to land Cooper, White, or Parker with they're first pick. AS a fan, that's fine by me.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Toons value climbing......
Doubt it
There really isn't anything to doubt, he is worth more today than he was last week and it would be pretty difficult to argue otherwise (but your welcome to try if u want).

Whether he is worth more a month from now, or even still on the team is definitely open to debate; as are any long term prospects.

IMHO, I already felt Toon was a decent sleeper candidate, especially if Colston left. Now with Graham and Stills gone and even with an aging Colston, his value has to be rising, at least a little.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Doubt it
i have heard this story for the past three years now. toon looks like he cant make it in the nfl. looks slower than colston.
No one should hold out hope for Toon - he's 27 this year and should have flashed something in 3 years.
He began to at the end of last year: 4-4-3 catches in Weeks 14-16. Not fantastic, but with Graham and Stills gone, Colston getting long in tooth, Toon may be next man up.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Doubt it
There really isn't anything to doubt, he is worth more today than he was last week and it would be pretty difficult to argue otherwise (but your welcome to try if u want).Whether he is worth more a month from now, or even still on the team is definitely open to debate; as are any long term prospects.

IMHO, I already felt Toon was a decent sleeper candidate, especially if Colston left. Now with Graham and Stills gone and even with an aging Colston, his value has to be rising, at least a little.
Go ahead and buy Toon wherever you can then.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Doubt it
There really isn't anything to doubt, he is worth more today than he was last week and it would be pretty difficult to argue otherwise (but your welcome to try if u want).Whether he is worth more a month from now, or even still on the team is definitely open to debate; as are any long term prospects.

Already have him on 2 Dynasty rosters (of course u probably guessed that ;) ) and thought sure I would be cutting him at roster cut down time, but now I think I have to try and hold on to him if I can. You may be absolutely right and odds are he doesn't do much, but there is at least a flicker of hope imho.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Doubt it

Already have him on 2 Dynasty rosters (of course u probably guessed that ;) ) and thought sure I would be cutting him at roster cut down time, but now I think I have to try and hold on to him if I can. You may be absolutely right and odds are he doesn't do much, but there is at least a flicker of hope imho.
Low cost (or no cost, I got him of the WW yesterday in one league when I heard Stills was on the trade block), potentially nice upside guy to target.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Nah. They're drafting a WR in round 1. That guy will be a gold mine.
Not likely. They are looking to shore up defense, not spend another pick on WR.
They can only throw so many balls to Cooks and Spiller. They have no redzone target now, other than an aging Colston (Graham's backups were adequate part timers but aren't real threats if they're the only guys to look at down there).

People say the Saints want to run more, but they've been running the ball a lot for years, just split between different RB's so it never resulted in a fantasy monster.

The Still trade seems to have been more about locker room culture than not feeling they need a weapon on the outside.

I think the Saints are definitely in play for Parker if he's still around at #13.

NE_REVIVAL said:
They can only throw so many balls to Cooks and Spiller. They have no redzone target now, other than an aging Colston (Graham's backups were adequate part timers but aren't real threats if they're the only guys to look at down there).

People say the Saints want to run more, but they've been running the ball a lot for years, just split between different RB's so it never resulted in a fantasy monster.

The Still trade seems to have been more about locker room culture than not feeling they need a weapon on the outside.

I think the Saints are definitely in play for Parker if he's still around at #13.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. They are turning that team upside down and unloading many players because of cap issues, and their defense last year was horrible. I don't see them investing 1st round value and cap space on WR again when they need to correct the offense / defense imbalance. Fine if folks don't think guys like Toon, B Coleman, S Jones, TE Hill can fill the WR / TE void, I get that, but I think they are resigned to living with what they have at least for a year while they get their financial house in order and start to fix the defense. Their need on defense > their need for another WR.

Also I'll add that they have always been pretty amazing identifying supposed nobodies who can make contributions (Pierre Thomas, Ivory were UDFAs, Colston was a 7th rounder), and it's possible they are looking at Brandon Coleman as another one of those diamonds in the rough who can step in and contribute at WR.

NE_REVIVAL said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. They are turning that team upside down and unloading many players because of cap issues, and their defense last year was horrible. I don't see them investing 1st round value and cap space on WR again when they need to correct the offense / defense imbalance. Fine if folks don't think guys like Toon, B Coleman, S Jones, RE Hill can fill the WR / TE void, I get that, but I think they are resigned to living with what they have at least for a year while they get their financial house in order and start to fix the defense. Their need on defense > their need for another WR.

Also I'll add that they have always been pretty amazing identifying supposed nobodies who can make contributions (Pierre Thomas, Ivory were UDFAs, Colston was a 7th rounder), and it's possible they are looking at Brandon Coleman as another one of those diamonds in the rough who can step in and contribute at WR.
You may be right, and you are probably more plugged into the situation than I am.

Honestly nothing the Saints are doing right now makes a ton of sense unless they're clearing out cancers in the locker room.

They're clearing cap space by moving guys like their OG's and Graham, but they are signing guys like Spiller and Browner and Ingram?

They have a cheap promising young WR and they trade him for a 3rd? (which is a good price btw, I'm just saying it doesn't fit the cap storyline)

It just seems like they think they have the wrong guys in the building. Stuff like Stills being a party animal and having a bad work ethic is coming to light.

I'm just saying I don't see a concrete plan here to move $$/talent/value from the offense to the defense like you're saying, I see a general tearing apart of the roster that goes way beyond the cap situation they started in. So I don't think you can assume they have an obvious plan for the defense or offense, just seems like they're retooling in general on both sides of the ball.

I'm just saying I don't see a concrete plan here to move $$/talent/value from the offense to the defense like you're saying, I see a general tearing apart of the roster that goes way beyond the cap situation they started in. So I don't think you can assume they have an obvious plan for the defense or offense, just seems like they're retooling in general on both sides of the ball.
The Graham move doesn't make sense to me, but I like everything else they've done. They could use the 3rd they got for Stills to draft a better all-around WR than Stills. They have one of the best backfields in the league now at a reasonable price (under $9M for Ingram/Spiller/Robinson).

NE_REVIVAL said:
Not likely? I'm willing to bet any amount of money that they address with one of their two 1st round picks. In fact, they seem to be acquiring a lot of picks for this draft. I wouldn't doubt it's to secure one that they like. Absolutely they need help on defense, but there is a retooling of the offense going on. I think you couldn't be more wrong.

NE_REVIVAL said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. They are turning that team upside down and unloading many players because of cap issues, and their defense last year was horrible. I don't see them investing 1st round value and cap space on WR again when they need to correct the offense / defense imbalance. Fine if folks don't think guys like Toon, B Coleman, S Jones, RE Hill can fill the WR / TE void, I get that, but I think they are resigned to living with what they have at least for a year while they get their financial house in order and start to fix the defense. Their need on defense > their need for another WR.

You may be right, and you are probably more plugged into the situation than I am.

Honestly nothing the Saints are doing right now makes a ton of sense unless they're clearing out cancers in the locker room.

They're clearing cap space by moving guys like their OG's and Graham, but they are signing guys like Spiller and Browner and Ingram?

They have a cheap promising young WR and they trade him for a 3rd? (which is a good price btw, I'm just saying it doesn't fit the cap storyline)

It just seems like they think they have the wrong guys in the building. Stuff like Stills being a party animal and having a bad work ethic is coming to light.

I agree the Stills deal had nothing to do with salary and that there were other underlying things rumored. He's a separate matter. Aside from that, from what I've been reading it's been about cap issues mostly, and the fact that despite a great offense last year they still had a losing record so they need to re-emphasize running game and defense (hence Ingram and Spiller) which says to me a WR is not in play for the 1st pick.

The Graham move doesn't make sense to me, but I like everything else they've done. They could use the 3rd they got for Stills to draft a better all-around WR than Stills. They have one of the best backfields in the league now at a reasonable price (under $9M for Ingram/Spiller/Robinson).
I agree. What they're doing only doesn't make sense if you're looking at it from a "they're tearing it apart because they're in cap hell" viewpoint. Because they're adding contracts they "shouldn't" if they're that concerned about the cap. Clearly they aren't tearing it down and starting over, which they would never do with Brees on board anyways.

So there's more to it than just the cap, and it's obvious there's more to it than just shifting in focus from the offense to the defense.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Not likely? I'm willing to bet any amount of money that they address with one of their two 1st round picks. In fact, they seem to be acquiring a lot of picks for this draft. I wouldn't doubt it's to secure one that they like. Absolutely they need help on defense, but there is a retooling of the offense going on. I think you couldn't be more wrong.
I won't lose sleep if I'm wrong, I'm wrong every day about something, but I think drafting WR in round 1 is not happening.

Just weird to me the Saints still think Colston has something left. But he'll be sufficient in blocking.

Not surprised with Stills deal.Decent, not great player. 3rd rounder is a nice return.

Imagine they'll look for another WR in the middle rounds. And pray Cooks stays healthy.

NE_REVIVAL said:
I think you couldn't be more wrong - the team has bigger needs than WR and can get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round (they have the #44, #75, and #78).

This is a strong WR draft and here are the WR's drafted #44-78 since 2010.

Why in the world wouldn't you give Brees more targets? I can't predict the future, but I don't see any logic in saying WR won't be addressed early.

Why did the Giants draft ODB last year? Why did Atlanta trade up to get Julio? Both of those teams had a better WR core than NO does.

This is most likely wrong but my first thought (when I heard the Saints were getting a 3rd) was Kenny Stills for Kenny Bell.

This is a strong WR draft and here are the WR's drafted #44-78 since 2010.
The team had bigger needs than Cooks last year and traded up to get him. I'd rather them trade up to get Cooper after looking at that list. Not saying there aren't some good WRs on that list.
In 2013 they were #4 in points allowed, in 2014 they were 28th. When they drafted Cooks they thought they had a good defense going into 2014.

Why in the world wouldn't you give Brees more targets? I can't predict the future, but I don't see any logic in saying WR won't be addressed early.

Why did the Giants draft ODB last year? Why did Atlanta trade up to get Julio? Both of those teams had a better WR core than NO does.
The simple answer is because the NFL isn't just fantasy football, and there are more positions to consider than just WR. I'm not motivated to go deep into the topic -- the Saints aren't even my team -- but I urge you to go to sites that delve deep into the team and research some more. I'm not sure you're seeing the whole picture. It doesn't do the team a lot of good to put up 401 points when they go 7-9 because they gave up 424... and a lot of the Brees INTs were due to having to try to keep up because the defense couldn't stop anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread