What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense** Weeks 14-16 FF Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Yeah, at this point I don't think there are many talented Ds available on a lot of WWs. (Maybe SD? But they just laid an egg at home.) So I think the balance shifts to playing match-ups over general talent.

Also, with match-ups, don't just look at season-long FFPA. What becomes very important at this point is when teams are just phoning it in. LA is in free fall. SF may be going back to Gabbert. And who knows what is going on with Carolina? Meanwhile, Atlanta is fighting for a playoff spot, so hopefully that leads to them putting the wood to inferior opponents and racking up sacks and TOs in the fourth quarter.

I'm definitely tempering my expectations. But as Matthew Berry likes to say, sometimes you don't need to be the prettiest girl at the bar, just the only girl left at the bar.
Dropping the Giants and putting in a bid for Atlanta in my best league. Falcons D blows but I'm playing the matchups and on paper next two weeks those matchups are outstanding. For what it's worth I've failed miserably going with the Bad D with the great matchup approach this season consistently so I have no idea why I'm doing it now in crunch time other than I do not trust the Giants at all right now with their schedule so I'm looking for an alternative and there's nothing left on the WW and Atlanta's the best of a brutal looking bunch.   

I am going to try to pick up Atlanta or Cincy D.  Those are the best 2 available in my league.  I will keep holding the NE D as well.  The Browns play hard every week so using the Cincy D scares me some.  Of course, Atlanta's D is nothing special. 

San Diego D was not helped by Rivers melting down again. This is what he does - he's having his usual second half of the season collapse. 

Atlanta are most likely oh my radar this week, but I've started thinking about the Lions at home to the Bears.

Ansah has been fitter of late, Slay has been back from injury, Armonty Bryant has returned from suspension to beef up depth at DE.  Hyder Jnr has been a revelation at DE as well this season. I like our depth at DT just now as well. Ngata has been very effective since returning from injury, and Robinson the rookie has started to make some plays when rotated in.

Our LBs were awful earlier in the season, but better scheming from Austin and the return of Bynes has seen them improve. Hopefully Whitehead returns this week, and maybe even Levy at some point before the season is done. 

In DB we look better than we have in years. Quin is so savvy at safety and Slay has been backed up quite well by Diggs and Lawson.

We aren't the most talented of units but Austin is making it work just now, and the players are playing hard. Least missed tackles in the entire league.

Altogether we have started to amass turnovers as well. 20, 20, 16, 19, 13, 13 are the points we've given up past 6 weeks.

Whether we beat the Bears or not well who knows as it seems like a trap game, but if they do beat us I'd imagine it would be a low scorer. I think the Lions are a pretty solid play this week.

I have Minnesota, but picked up Tennessee for their week 16 match-up vs. Jax (assuming I'm still playing in week 16)

davidwb said:
I have Minnesota, but picked up Tennessee for their week 16 match-up vs. Jax (assuming I'm still playing in week 16)
Thought of doing the same thing, but Bortles already reamed Tennessee once this year. Makes me feel uneasy about sitting on that match up during my championship week.

Am I crazy for thinking about SF?

Jets offense looks horrific tonight. 
What a crap fest that game will be. 

But yeah, SF hasn't been terrible lately. Forte may run wild, but they should be good for some TOs 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them for Week 15 and 16, 14 not so much
I picked them up last week for week 15 since I have the bye.  I am still on the fence about Miami but they are at home.

I still won with them in my lineup last week...they stuck it up against the Raiders.

Miami week 15 @NYJ just became more attractive with Richard Petty starting and driving the NYJ off the track into oblivion. 

The MIA D looked awful against the Ravens.  I think AZ wins that game even though AZ is struggling. 
They did; but some credit to Ravens --Flacco was on fire and hadn't seen off line play that well in a long time -- Probably should look elsewhere for WK 14 def. but figure MIA now needs this win more to keep pace --

Atlanta vs. LA is the best match up I see.  Rams will likely try to control the TOP via Gurley, and then face predictable 3rd and long early in the game.  Then they will need to throw to catch up.  Same old script, high likelihood of sacks and INTs.

The MIA D looked awful against the Ravens.  I think AZ wins that game even though AZ is struggling. 
Unfortunately I think that's the case too. AZ, despite their woes, can still hang points thanks to David Johnson. And if for whatever reason Palmer wakes up for a game, could get a lot worse. 

LOVE MIA's matchup in Week 15, but at this point debating dropping them for BUF and playing SD @ CAR and looking for the double matchups vs CLE in weeks 15 and 16.

Atlanta vs. LA is the best match up I see.  Rams will likely try to control the TOP via Gurley, and then face predictable 3rd and long early in the game.  Then they will need to throw to catch up.  Same old script, high likelihood of sacks and INTs.
This is what many of us thought a couple of weeks ago when the Rams played the Saints. Goff comes out and drops 3 TDs on them in the first half. Then the second half the game goes according to script. I could see something similar happening this week. I'm still going to try and pick up the Falcons D but just saying when you have a bad D like the Falcons you can't just assume they're going to swallow up a bad offense. The Rams have had success against bad defenses this season at various times even with Keenum so I could see it happening again this week. Maybe not for the entire game, but possibly for stretches of it. Could see Gurley scoring if for no other reason than he's way overdue to score again and it's doubtful the Falcons pitch a shutout.  

Options in my leagues -- first a 12 teamer:

Cinci @ CLE seems to be the premiere play.  Last four weeks they've scored 5, 5, 7, 8 in my scoring system, while playing the 21st, 25th, 18th, and 23rd ranked opponents.  Now they get Cleveland, giving up the 2nd most points to the position.  They play Pittsburgh and at Houston down the stretch.

Detroit vs. Chicago is interesting.  Detroit just went down to the Super Dome and held Drew Brees and the boys to 13 points, which is unheard of.  In my league they racked up 11 points after tallying 5, 19, and 6 the preceeding weeks.  Now they get Matt Barkley and an inept Bears passing game.  Jordan Howard is a good RB, but do we really fear the Bears offense more than the Saints?  I doubt it.  They play @ NYG and @ DAL the last two weeks, which is scary.

Atlanta @ LA is tempting... I don't think Atlanta's an elite talent D, but they've been playing pretty well.  Losing Trufant hurts, but can Goff take advantage?  If this was at home, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with it, but all the way across the country gives me pause.  They've been solid lately -- 5, 4, 5, 5 in my league while playing the 13th, 23rd, 4th, and 24th best matchups, and the Rams are the 3rd best matchup.  Best part of Atlanta is the double dip for SF at home in week 15 -- probably with Gabbert at the helm, or Christian Ponder if they've pulled the plug on Kaepernick. 

Jets @ SF had me really considering them, until they got their doors blown off last night and flipped the switch to Petty... no thanks.  Cross country with a QB that could constantly put them in bad situations?  I want no part of that.

In my 16-teamer... I'm sitting on SD and BUF, but I don't really like either for this week.  SD vs. Carolina wouldn't be too scary, but it's a 1:00 game on the east coast.  Waiver options include:

Cinci @ CLE -- again looking like a good play for this week.  Cleveland plays teams tough, but they've allowed tons of points to opposing Ds.  They're off a bye and should be healthy, and get RGIII back at the QB position, but it's not like he's a stud anymore (famous last works, right?).  First game against Cleveland, Cinci allowed 17 points with 2 sacks and 2 INTs... should be solid this week.

Detroit vs. Chicago -- Detroit's on a solid run and gets an offense we shouldn't fear, at home, with a chance to hold onto first place in their division... that's a must win game.

For folks with a week 14 bye, is there a consensus best streamer team or two for weeks 15/16?
I went with two.  I have Houston (Jax wk 15) and SD (Clev wk 16).

At this point in time I feel taking two spots for a defense is more valuable then a 3rd RB that will never see my starting lineup.

I went with two.  I have Houston (Jax wk 15) and SD (Clev wk 16).

At this point in time I feel taking two spots for a defense is more valuable then a 3rd RB that will never see my starting lineup.
First time I have seen Houston mentioned in this thread.  Have bye week and NE vs NYJ for week 16, which looks a whole lot better with Petty at the wheel.

Their numbers are not impressive plus it is a divisional game, so looking for reasons to believe, as it is coming down to them and ATL @ home to SF for week 15.

First time I have seen Houston mentioned in this thread.  Have bye week and NE vs NYJ for week 16, which looks a whole lot better with Petty at the wheel.

Their numbers are not impressive plus it is a divisional game, so looking for reasons to believe, as it is coming down to them and ATL @ home to SF for week 15.
I mentioned Houston yesterday on the last page but was surprised that no one else said anything about them.  Starting to second guess myself.

I'll buy into the "play any D against Bortles" argument, but does his familiarity with them as a division rival trumped his acknowledged awfulness?
I believe Joseph is banged up too, though I haven't looked.

Gotta get through this week first, and I want no part of Houston playing Indy.

AZ offense vs Def is a conundrum to me -- in my league they are 4th in giving up points to def  --the games are either by 17-20+ fantasy points to the defense or 0-1 -- not much in between --odd for a team with DJ, whom I don't think has missed a game and a relatively strong WR corps.  Is it mostly good and bad days with Palmer?

I'm thinking Detroit is the play this week if you can get them.  Barkley's first road game this year, Detroit has been hot.

Takes a deep breath...closes eyes...slowly exhales...throws dart...and............

Tennessee it is!!!  HIP, HIP, HOORAY!!!

Takes a deep breath...closes eyes...slowly exhales...throws dart...and............

Tennessee it is!!!  HIP, HIP, HOORAY!!!
Tenn and Buff is what I have rostered.  I will play them too I think since half my team is Steelers. Hope the Den qb is still out. 

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Buffalo and SD give you CLE twice. Not sure there's a better duo than that for Weeks 15 and 16.
I have this pairing but BUF scares me. Obviously I didn't play them last week but they were just awful. 38 points against, no sacks, ints, fumble recoveries. The week before they gave up 21 points to Bortles and only registered 2 sacks. How important is Darby? At what point does the match-up not even matter? I mean, this defense hasn't done anything but #### the bed since early October.

Big Blue Wrecking Crew said:
I'll buy into the "play any D against Bortles" argument, but does his familiarity with them as a division rival trumped his acknowledged awfulness?
Familiarity likely works in HOU's favor. Mind you, these stats are have a healthy Watt factored in but HOU has owned Bortles at home over the past two years.

In 2014 Bortles was 14 of 33 for for 117 yards, no TDs, no INTs. He was sacked 5 times and fumbled but JAC recovered the ball. JAC scored 17 points in this game.

In 2015 Bortles was 17 of 32 for 239 yards, no TDs, 2 INTs. He was sacked 8 times and fumbled twice, he lost one of them. JAC scored 6 points in this game.

Edit: Watt accounted for 3 sacks in each game. Bortles 100% has nightmares about Watt.

Bortles has never thrown a TD on the road vs. HOU. He's been much better at home (5 TDs) but still turns the ball over, fumbling at least once every game. Again, I know the sample size is small and this isn't the same HOU defense but it's clear HOU's DST has put up points at home vs. JAC in recent history. I think they need to be up for consideration for week 15, especially assuming Clowney and Joseph are back.

OK, I'm officially out on Philly after that stinker. Back to streaming.

Looking at Week 14, there are good match-ups, but not great Ds. Best ones I see available in my league:

• Atlanta @ LA
  • Wash @ Philly
  • NYJ @ SF
  • Cinci @ Cleveland
  • Indy vs Houston
  • Det vs. Chicago
  • Tenn vs Denver (especially if Siemian sits again)
Seems like Cinci is the play, at least for next week. They finish with Pitt/@Hou, so would need someone else for Week 15.

In my other league, Cinci is already gone. Will probably go for Atlanta, Jets and Tenn, in that order.
Would you still go with Cinncy even if Seattle was your main D. I don't like Seattle going up to GB. Just having a feeling Rodgers is going to have one of his 4 TD games and Thomas is out again or am I over thinking this and should just stick with Seattle. Man I'm torn on this one.

Going with Atlanta this week against the Rams for the first week of playoffs.  There really isn't anything else on our WW.

I picked up Detroit. But wish I had checked out the Detroit thread  first .  Now I'm not so sure.
What do you not like about Lions this week?

Ive got Det, Buff, Rams line up for next 3 weeks(if I make it that far).  Week 16 is NOT streaming friendly. I rode the AZ/PHI train all season and theyve become junk.

I've been rolling with Baltimore all season, and picked up Tenn for the playoffs, as I don't like the Raven's matchup against New England and Pittsburgh. So I'll go Tenn this week against Denver, Baltimore against Philly week 15, and back to Tenn week 16 against Jacksonville

Dropped Cincy for Detroit. I think this sets up as the game Cleveland will win.
RG3 is back and his fresh legs will be something that Cincy did not prepare for in the cold weather. He isnt the best, but way better than anything they have had this year.

Cincy, Buffalo, SD and Pitt? Sure this team isnt good and the coaches stink, but the players at some point will not want to be an 0-16 team and fight like hell to win a game.
This is that game since they are on the road at Buffalo and Pitt and I think beating Cincy is easier than beating SD.

Cleveland has got to win a game right?

Users who are viewing this thread