What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

derek19 said:
Forgot to mention the movie 'Havoc'. You can thank me later.ETA: Havoc with Anne Hathaway.
movie is terrible, google the images and save the time...
:rant:I like Hathaway but that movie made me like her less even though you get a good look at her. It was such a gratuitous attempt to break out of the Princess Diaries mode that it made me angry.

Jutz said:
I've watched a bunch of stuff on instant lately. Here are some of the good ones:

Rising Son: Christian Hosoi - anyone into the 80s skateboarding should love this. A lot of stuff I never knew about Hosoi in this doc. Good skating footage, and a good story.
This was really enjoyable to me. Really ties in the skateboard scene from where Dogtown and Z-Boys leaves off until the start of the X-Games. Hosoi himself is a great story and the battles between him and Tony Hawk were amazing, a true contrast of styles. The Technician in Hawk versus the Artist in Hosoi.
:goodposting: completely agree

Again though, it stinks not being able to stream new movies. Some of the box office misses should be available more. I love the Goodfellas SE that is streaming but that movie is over 20 years old.
You're not gonna get new DVD releases for a $7 a month all-inclusive subscription. But they're all available on demand from services like Amazon on Demand for like $5 apiece in HD. Just dump your pay cable movie channels and pay only for what you watch. Wave of the future, dude.
Brings about a good question. What would you pay for an all-inclusive Netflix subsciption?I pay 18 bucks a month to Netflix for 3 discs and the ability to watch streaming on three devices at once and we have cut the cord and gone 2 years now without cable or satelite TV. (And trust me, with a 6 year old and a 2 year old, we are pretty much streaming from the Xbox, the Wii, and from someone's laptop or phone constantly). I know that I would double that if I could get all of the entire Netflix library, new releases and all, on streaming.Netflix is still paying more in postage than in broadband per movie, so it has to be something they are considering. Maybe a tier plan on how much you could stream per month?

Again though, it stinks not being able to stream new movies. Some of the box office misses should be available more. I love the Goodfellas SE that is streaming but that movie is over 20 years old.
You're not gonna get new DVD releases for a $7 a month all-inclusive subscription. But they're all available on demand from services like Amazon on Demand for like $5 apiece in HD. Just dump your pay cable movie channels and pay only for what you watch. Wave of the future, dude.
Brings about a good question. What would you pay for an all-inclusive Netflix subsciption?I pay 18 bucks a month to Netflix for 3 discs and the ability to watch streaming on three devices at once and we have cut the cord and gone 2 years now without cable or satelite TV. (And trust me, with a 6 year old and a 2 year old, we are pretty much streaming from the Xbox, the Wii, and from someone's laptop or phone constantly). I know that I would double that if I could get all of the entire Netflix library, new releases and all, on streaming.Netflix is still paying more in postage than in broadband per movie, so it has to be something they are considering. Maybe a tier plan on how much you could stream per month?
I'm not an expert in the business of Hollywood, but I just don't see how that would make business sense for the studios. They're going to want to get individual buys of movies for as long as possible- first in the theaters, then the on demand/DVD stage. After that they can get good money for their initial deals with the pay movie channels. Only after those have been largely exhausted do they throw their recent libraries into their Netflix-type deals. Netflix would have to make huge offers to compensate for the loss of all that revenue. I have no idea how huge, but I doubt doubling their membership fees would cover it.

After a brief absence, Farscape is back on instant. I can watch that sci-fi show anytime. Still don't understand why they don't have the 4th/last season on streaming though.

Finally started Rescue Me: Season 5. Big :lmao: They brought the funny back after a boring season 4. The first episode of season 5 I think I laughed more than the entire season 4 put together.

I'm not an expert in the business of Hollywood, but I just don't see how that would make business sense for the studios. They're going to want to get individual buys of movies for as long as possible- first in the theaters, then the on demand/DVD stage. After that they can get good money for their initial deals with the pay movie channels. Only after those have been largely exhausted do they throw their recent libraries into their Netflix-type deals. Netflix would have to make huge offers to compensate for the loss of all that revenue. I have no idea how huge, but I doubt doubling their membership fees would cover it.
You already have Netflix waiting 28 days for a lot of new releases, that is all the video stores can hang their hat on anymore. I wouldn't think it would matter to the studios how Netflix is distributing their movies, streaming or snail mail, if they are still getting their usual cut. You take out the cost of the physical DVD and the cost of postage and it would be further revenue for Netflix. Instead of buying the physical discs from the distributors, maybe they just give them a cut of each streaming view.You will have some people that abuse the service watching 5-6 movies a day, but you will have just as many people pay the extra amount and never get around to watching much. Just like the people that have their 3 discs collecting dust in the red envelopes on top of their TV.

I don't pay $7 a month...I think we pay $22 and we get 3 shipped at a clip to us for Blu Ray...whatever they want to charge is fine with me but I want to stream it all. It costs $40 anymore for 2 people to go to the movies. I'm willing to pay that for sure to stream all new releases. I hears they want to get out of the mail part of their business. Pretty soon I guess you will be able to do this. I want it now though.

I've watched a bunch of stuff on instant lately. Here are some of the good ones:

Rising Son: Christian Hosoi - anyone into the 80s skateboarding should love this. A lot of stuff I never knew about Hosoi in this doc. Good skating footage, and a good story.
This was really enjoyable to me. Really ties in the skateboard scene from where Dogtown and Z-Boys leaves off until the start of the X-Games. Hosoi himself is a great story and the battles between him and Tony Hawk were amazing, a true contrast of styles. The Technician in Hawk versus the Artist in Hosoi.
:goodposting: completely agree
I saw this awhile backand loved this too. Gator is also good (I am guessing that is free too)

Haven't been in this thread in a couple of weeks and came in to say I just watched Rising Son: The Legend of Chrisitian Hosoi. Looks like this is the topic of the day actually, pretty cool.

Good flick, I was into skateboarding when I was in my early teens so I knew all the names but I think even if you don't know anything about skateboarding, you would still like it.

The 2nd season of Spartacus is available. It just started on STARZ and will be available on Netflix the day after each episode premiere. Season 1 was pretty entertaining.

That North Korea documentary by National Geographic is a ####in trip.
Just put that in my queue. If you like that - this one is about the guy that crossed over back in the Korean War, "Crossing the Line." http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Crossing...8403#height2296
What is the name of the North Korea doc everyone is talking about? Is it "NG Undercover: Inside North Korea"?
National Geographic: Inside North Korea
Wow, just watched this. He sure has created an environment where people think he's a god... or else.

That North Korea documentary by National Geographic is a ####in trip.
Just put that in my queue. If you like that - this one is about the guy that crossed over back in the Korean War, "Crossing the Line." http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Crossing...8403#height2296
What is the name of the North Korea doc everyone is talking about? Is it "NG Undercover: Inside North Korea"?
National Geographic: Inside North Korea
Wow, just watched this. He sure has created an environment where people think he's a god... or else.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand he has nukes. :unsure:

I just watched Zombieland. That was a really good movie.

I can't figure out whether Emma Stone's hot or not. I'm leaning towards not.

I just watched Zombieland. That was a really good movie.I can't figure out whether Emma Stone's hot or not. I'm leaning towards not.
She recently got all sexied up for some magazine photos. Didn't help. I'm in the "not" column.

Arn: The Knight Templar

Swedish movie with subtitles. I thought it was excellent.

Valhalla Rising

Most either really like it or really don't. I really liked it.

Centurion

Not great but I was entertained enough to recommend it.

Watched The Parking Lot Movie last night. Thumbs up if you like documentaries.

Over the course of three years, filmmaker Meghan Eckman tracked the comings and goings of a solitary parking lot in Charlottesville, Va., chronicling the lives of the attendants who were working there. This inspiring documentary is the result.

Some really good movies are leaving Instant on Monday night (available until February 1st, which means Monday night is the last time you can watch it). "The Package" with Gene Hackman and Tommy Lee Jones is one I highly recommend and if you like spy movies from the '70s I also recommend "Three Days of the Condor" with Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway. "Apocalypse Now" is also leaving Instant. I figure most people around here have already seen that one.

Recent shows that I've rated 4 or 5 stars.

Spartacus: Season2

Arn: The Night Templar

Mugabe and the White African

Wild China

Party Down 1&2

The Stoning of Soraya M.

I need someone to point me in the right direction in starting a new sci fi series. The only thing that I have really watched in this genre is Firefly. TIA.

Some really good movies are leaving Instant on Monday night (available until February 1st, which means Monday night is the last time you can watch it). "The Package" with Gene Hackman and Tommy Lee Jones is one I highly recommend and if you like spy movies from the '70s I also recommend "Three Days of the Condor" with Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway. "Apocalypse Now" is also leaving Instant. I figure most people around here have already seen that one.
I haven't read the whole thread, but can you explain how you find out what's leaving and what's coming? It would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read the whole thread, but can you explain how you find what's leaving and what's coming? It would be much appreciated.
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/expiringMuch of the time it's easier to browse through movies on that site than it is on Netflix itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read the whole thread, but can you explain how you find what's leaving and what's coming? It would be much appreciated.
http://instantwatcher.com/titles/expiringMuch of the time it's easier to browse through movies on that site than it is on Netflix itself.
Thank you.

Those particular movies are in my queue so that is how I noticed they are leaving but for a larger list of movies and shows that are leaving check http://instantwatcher.com/. Click on "Expiring" at the top for movies and shows that are leaving.

I need someone to point me in the right direction in starting a new sci fi series. The only thing that I have really watched in this genre is Firefly. TIA.
Is Battlestar Galactica available through the watch instantly service?
Yes.
Well then, that's my recommendation to PDG.
:thumbup: i think you have to get the first miniseries episodes on disc. everything after that is available streaming

The hit youtube show "The Guild" is available to stream. Decently funny. The main actress (Felicia Day) is cute and pretty talented, I think. Not smoking, but cute. Like a very, very rich man's Mary Lynn Rajskub. She had a gaming addiction decided to base a show off it that became a youtube hit. She's also is now doing some voice stuff for video games (Fallout: New Vegas, Guild Wars 2).

It's basically "The League", except with WoW nerds instead of FF nerds. Not as good, but worth watching. Some pretty funny parts.

Users who are viewing this thread