What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Sub" Position ?? (Ways to Deal with Injuries for Season Long FF) (1 Viewer)

DeaLerZ

Footballguy
In my league we are looking into ways to deal with the excessive amount of injuries in this hobby. In the past 5 or 6 years or so it just seems that the injuries are getting worse and worse each year. I have my theories on that, but I won't get into that.

The purpose of this thread is to get ideas about ways to make fantasy football more fun with all of these injuries to skill players.

One of our league mates had the idea of a "Sub Position". A position on the bench that is designated as a "Sub". If one of your players is injured during the game, than this player who has been pre-determined on your bench and "locked" in as your "sub" could be substituted in so you don't get screwed for the week. Much like a real football team, Next man up. Obviously, this idea would need to have some kind of safety nets put into place to make sure that this is not taken advantage of, and to make it fair to the whole league.

Does anyone know of a fantasy football website where you could potentially even do something like this or would it just have to be something where the teams designate a player each week, and inform the commissioner?

Does anyone have other ideas on how to make fantasy football more enjoyable for season long to deal with all of these injuries besides just "Best Ball"?

For game time decisions at flex we can post a player to sub in, but once a starter takes a snap he's in your lineup. For QB & K we use "team", so you would get the backups points added into the starters.

We used to have substitutes listed on MFL in our league. It’s become more a problem with games at different times and now different days. Do I start a player Thursday knowing they are healthy or keep Amon-Ra in my lineup who plays Sunday and is currently “questionable”? Now we even have super early Sunday games as well.

It became tough to manage and folks taking a bit of an advantage with the rule. So now we’re “start at your own risk”.

Several of my leagues have a substitution rule allowing you to post a backup to a Q player. A simple forum post before either player plays is all it takes. Lets you use a Thursday or SUnday 1 PM player to back up a player playing Sunday night or Monday. I have no idea why this isn't more standard.

And it's far less work then it seems at first glance....commish has to manually swap the players later, but it generally only happens a couple times a year per league.

Several of my leagues have a substitution rule allowing you to post a backup to a Q player. A simple forum post before either player plays is all it takes. Lets you use a Thursday or SUnday 1 PM player to back up a player playing Sunday night or Monday. I have no idea why this isn't more standard.

And it's far less work then it seems at first glance....commish has to manually swap the players later, but it generally only happens a couple times a year per league.

Our variation on this was that you could do this and have it fail 3x a year.

You have to make the decision before the first impacted player (e.g. sending on Thursday morning- "Start this Thursday night WR if this Sunday 1pm WR is out").

If the player ends up inactive, it is on the owner to notify the commish (that way the commish doesn't have to manage everyone's teams).

Commish then manually made the switch afterwards.

Best Ball >>>>> Lineup

In-season roster management and research to hit or miss on players is where most of the fun in fantasy football lies in.

The journey is more fun than the destination. i.e. throwing your remote at your TV when 80 yard TD's are happening on your opponent's team

You have to make the decision before the first impacted player (e.g. sending on Thursday morning- "Start this Thursday night WR if this Sunday 1pm WR is out").

If the player ends up inactive, it is on the owner to notify the commish (that way the commish doesn't have to manage everyone's teams).

That’s the issue. Say the Thursday player has a stinker - what’s from stopping the owner from swapping out the Sunday player (let’s say he’s deemed out on Saturday) for a different still yet-to-play player?

That’s the issue. Say the Thursday player has a stinker - what’s from stopping the owner from swapping out the Sunday player (let’s say he’s deemed out on Saturday) for a different still yet-to-play player?
When I played in a league with this rule, you had to assign this for a specific player and couldn't change. Your 'change' was the Thursday player. And that was only if that player was inactive/out before kickoff.

I’ve always thought it would be cool to start a player for a quarter or a half instead of the whole game. You’d have to be watching the game, but at any time, for any reason, you could bench a guy at halftime and sub someone else in. Even when making your lineup, you could say you wanted to start one Qb for the first half, and a different one for the second.

It would get complicated, but how cool would it be to have a guy playing really poorly or have someone who gets hurt in the second quarter and be able to put another guy in for the next half?

When I played in a league with this rule, you had to assign this for a specific player and couldn't change. Your 'change' was the Thursday player. And that was only if that player was inactive/out before kickoff.
Did your league have the ability to “lock” both players? Both the thursday player as well as the player going Sunday/Monday in our example? Ours didn’t, so if the thursday player had a dud, you could swap out the Sunday/Monday player on Friday or all the way up until that players game.

Did your league have the ability to “lock” both players? Both the thursday player as well as the player going Sunday/Monday in our example? Ours didn’t, so if the thursday player had a dud, you could swap out the Sunday/Monday player on Friday or all the way up until that players game.
No, we posted a message on the board indicating that was our intention. Once the Thursday game started, you were committed to those two players.

I’ve always thought it would be cool to start a player for a quarter or a half instead of the whole game. You’d have to be watching the game, but at any time, for any reason, you could bench a guy at halftime and sub someone else in. Even when making your lineup, you could say you wanted to start one Qb for the first half, and a different one for the second.

It would get complicated, but how cool would it be to have a guy playing really poorly or have someone who gets hurt in the second quarter and be able to put another guy in for the next half?
I'm sure with technology that it'll soon become a reality. Whether it becomes popular is another story. I can also seeing many snafu's for a service provider (and whether it'd be viable endeavor for them long term)

With Thursday/Saturday (late season)/Sunday with up 5 different start times for games/MNF and apparently Black Friday game next season, just way way time consuming already for me personally with lineup-type leagues. I've went exclusively best ball and probably daily fantasy where I pick weeks I play in the future. Something like you indicated above is something I thought about and would have been interested in 10 or so years ago. Weekly lineup leagues IMO are just too much work anymore. With the ever increasing head injury protocols, I think best ball (and even the possibility of what you mentioned) will become more and more prevalent.

I'm not a better (sp) at all but I'm sure there's something available with live betting.

On one hand, I see it being helpful for the late surprising injury scratch. But isn't checking your lineup 90 mins before games start on Sunday part of playing in a league?

Guys get hurt during the game, it's always been part of football and always part of fantasy football.

Are the injuries that much worse than 5, 10, 20 years ago?

The same rules that prevent you from moving ANY player.....if you link two players, they are both locked as soon as either game kicks off.

I've talked this idea over here several times, people always seem to over-complicate it

On one hand, I see it being helpful for the late surprising injury scratch. But isn't checking your lineup 90 mins before games start on Sunday part of playing in a league?

Guys get hurt during the game, it's always been part of football and always part of fantasy football.

Are the injuries that much worse than 5, 10, 20 years ago?
Real life interferes, and it's not always fair and reasonable. I saw a guy miss changing a lineup once because he was AT THE GAME (and not every stadium has great wifi/cell reception).
I work nightshift, and have to occasionally work Saturday overnight. After a 12+ hour shift (RN) and going to bed at 9 AM, it's not really possible for me to check inactives at 1245. Others go to church with their families.
Fantasy football should be fun....being LOCKED into having to check inactives at a very specific time every week is inherently NOT easy nor particularly fun for many.

MORE...having done this in several leagues for multiple years, I can attest to the fact that these leagues remain lineup leagues. People utilize this injury sub rule less often then you'd think. Nobody is trying to back up DPJ playing on Monday if he's a Q, they're just putting in another player. Deebo Samuel of Cooper Kupp? Yeah...they're putting in a backup. Byt it frees up people to have lives, go to church, sleep, etc. with a little peace of mind. These leagues are NOT best ball.

Users who are viewing this thread