What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest to be Unveiled by Wednesday Morning (1 Viewer)

David - Any way they could put the bye weeks on the entry form? It would make things a lot easier.
Hell NO
Ain't supposed to be effin easy :) Get a schedule
I'm not sure where to find one?
Once you submit lineup, it shows byes. However:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedulegrid
I was kiddin. Schedules are everywhere, it'd just be nice on the entry page.
If they ain't the bye weeks, what are the numbers next to the players name then?
Shouldn't you be busy changing your LU?
That brings up another question, do the dollar amounts change from week to week?

David - Any way they could put the bye weeks on the entry form? It would make things a lot easier.
Hell NO

If they ain't the bye weeks, what are the numbers next to the players name then?
That brings up another question, do the dollar amounts change from week to week?
Yep, creates quite a mess some weeks.

Hell NO

This is a question that comes up every year. The answer is simple. If you are someone who thinks about byes as you are creating your roster, you should prefer to not have the bye weeks on the entry form. This gives you an advantage over the people who forget about byes. You don't want to remind them. It's worth it to have a list of bye weeks next to you as you are filling it out if it helps weed out some of the masses. I actually wish they didn't include them on the submitted entry page either.

Hell NO

We don't do "nice"

Hell NO

Yep, creates quite a mess some weeks.
What? The dollar amounts can't change or else a valid roster could turn into an invalid roster tomorrow. The fact that they don't change is what creates such value in some players as injuries and depth charts are released.

Man, does it feel like the RBs and WRs are expensive?

...ok, I didn't want to look like a fool so I compared to last year:

#1RB - 34 to 37

#1WR - 29 to 31

#10RB - 24 to 26

#10WR - 22 to 23

#20RB - 19 to 21

#20WR - 18 to 19

#30RB - 16 to 17

#30WR - 16 to 17

So I guess it's not too bad, but I feel like it's putting the squeeze on my 30 man roster. I thought for sure I could afford Reggie Bush and Bradshaw, but they are too rich for my blood. Mathews is my most expensive RB and Miles Austin is my most expensive WR.
I did squeeze things a bit as I wanted to put more roster sizes in play (instead of most everyone trying to field 30 man rosters). I also squeezed the early bye week players that many of you covet (while providing some discounts to late byes) to better even things out.

I don't think it's a given that the 30 player teams will dominate as easily as year's past.
Did you look at the results last year first?

Top five teams had rosters of 25, 18, 26, 24, and 19.
I cared more about the percentage of teams advancing (and the 30 team rosters did quite well). I just wanted to make it a bit harder for 30 team rosters to start because I was releasing the values a week earlier too.
I feel so discriminated against... :kicksrock:

What? The dollar amounts can't change or else a valid roster could turn into an invalid roster tomorrow. The fact that they don't change is what creates such value in some players as injuries and depth charts are released.
:sarcasm:

I doubt I was the only one that didn't detect sarcasm there. The guy asked a serious question and you gave what seemed to be a logical answer. Maybe you need to work on your sarcasm a little more before you go answering peoples legitimate questions and leading them in the wrong direction.

I think there is a typo in the rules:

From week 14 through week 16, the top 250 teams will score points each week. The winner will be the team that accumulates the most total points in these 3 weeks. All 250 teams that advance to the final will have their scores reset so only the results from weeks 15 through 16 will count.

I'm at 30 and keep seeing a couple cheap guys I want to add but the issue is roster spots not money. This double flex is a new wrinkle indeed. Changed QB scoring should only serve to make if harder to base projections on last year's cutoffs.

Also, given the cutoff lines, looks like they are expecting a significant amount more entries than previous years. I definitely draw some conclusions from that...

I doubt I was the only one that didn't detect sarcasm there. The guy asked a serious question and you gave what seemed to be a logical answer. Maybe you need to work on your sarcasm a little more before you go answering peoples legitimate questions and leading them in the wrong direction.
I guess you thought Prawn was serious too

I guess you thought Prawn was serious too
Yes, I did.

Or am I using "sarcasm" as poorly as you did?

Last edited by a moderator:
First crack at it, won't be the last one:

QB: 2 / $33

RB: 5 / $87

WR: 6 / $87

TE: 4 / $31

K: 2 / $6

DEF: 2 / $6

TOTAL: 21 / $250
Interesting that my first pass got very similar dollar allocations, though with a larger roster.

QB: 3/$29

RB: 5/$82

WR: 11/$88

TE: 5/$33

K: 3/$9

Def: 3/$9

For a total of 30. Most likely will try to get that down into the 24-26 range for the final version.

Hell NO

This is a question that comes up every year. The answer is simple. If you are someone who thinks about byes as you are creating your roster, you should prefer to not have the bye weeks on the entry form. This gives you an advantage over the people who forget about byes. You don't want to remind them. It's worth it to have a list of bye weeks next to you as you are filling it out if it helps weed out some of the masses. I actually wish they didn't include them on the submitted entry page either.
This

My team is set...23 players. Now bring on the pre-season and that will change everything.
My current team is 22. Don't see how anyone could have 30 and be competitive. I think he changed the prices too much.
I just made what I think is the perfect 18 player team:

2 QB (one top 5)

5 WR (3 top 5)

5 RB (3 top 10)

2 TE (1 top 1)

2 cheap def and 2 cheap def

Basically I have 8 studs and ten $4 or less fillers (the only exception is the back up TE who is a middle of the road guy with upside). Each of those studs have a different bye week.

I love the look of this team. That being said, I think there is a very slim chance that this team survives to the finals. Unless I get lucky and find this year's James Jones, this team is likely toast somewhere between week 8 and 12. This could be from a down week from multiple players, injuries, byes....or more than likely a combo of those reasons.

The problem with this team is that each stud will be counted every week during the bye weeks. There are no backups other than a couple flyers who probably wont score enough to matter. The upside with this team, is that any one of the 8 studs can put 40+ point games on the board any given week.

I'm going to put together another 18 player roster and try to find more value for all 18 players, instead of just the 8 stud theory.

Current team which I'm sure I'll change. WRs are currently the weak point, but excluding byes I'm definitely going to have 3 RBs scoring each week. Still contemplating if this is the set up I want.

3 QBs: $36

5 RBs: $91

7 WRs: $61

2 TEs: $43

3 Ks: $10

3 Ds: $9

23 players total. $250.

Graham is going to be on a boat load of teams...maybe the correct move is to not have him on your team and hope he has a year like last year.

Graham is going to be on a boat load of teams...maybe the correct move is to not have him on your team and hope he has a year like last year.
I have always wondered this....what % of the people in this contest, do you think read this thread?
I see what you're doing there...
hahaha....actually being serious though. Are your odds at winning the whole better if you jump on board with what will most likely be the most popular pick at TE or do the opposite and hope for another down year? Then spread that high dollar amount around on a couple different TE's with top 10 upside and upgrade another position. Hmmmm.....I'm starting to rethink my TE strategy for this year. Lord knows I could use the extra money in other areas.

Currently here is my breakdown but I'm thinking of going one QB this year:

QB - 3 = $37

RB - 5 = $76

WR - 5 = $71

TE - 4 = $46

K - 3 = $10

D - 3 = $10

Tot - 23 = $250

Last edited by a moderator:

QB - 3 = $37

RB - 5 = $76

WR - 5 = $71

TE - 4 = $46

K - 3 = $10

D - 3 = $10

Tot - 23 = $250
I did it last year. If there is ever a year to do it, this is the year. You have a few early bye week QBs who would be good choices. Side note....I survived his week 7 bye week, but got knocked out a week later.

Silly question:

Seems like the new format devalues WR a bit from last year. Correct?
Just curious, but what about the format or scoring devalues the WR's? Off the top of my head, the only difference I see is TE's getting 1.5 PPR. What else has changed?
Like I said, I am probably just reading it wrong. But last year, didn't three WR score every week?
Just 2 WRs start, but flex was increased from 1 to 2 spots. Last year QBs earned 6 and -2. This year they are 4 and -1. We always had TE PPR = 1.5. Overall QBs and WRs are likely devalued a little bit based on these changes.
:eek: I better look a little closer at these rules here.

-QG

Current roster

QB 2 / $31

RB 4 / $64

WR 7 / $90

TE 3 / $43

K 3 / $9

Def 3 / $13

22 Players

Found myself altering my strategy this year, much more aggressive this year, especially with bye weeks. My problem is I can talk myself into just about strategy.

Current roster

QB 2 / $31

RB 4 / $64

WR 7 / $90

TE 3 / $43

K 3 / $9

Def 3 / $13

22 Players

Found myself altering my strategy this year, much more aggressive this year, especially with bye weeks. My problem is I can talk myself into just about strategy.
What do you mean by aggressive? Do you mean like having multiple studs with the same bye week...perhaps early? Or maybe rolling with Newton and backing him up with a $7 rookie? Or making your backups at RB, WR, and RE all in the $2-4 range?

Maybe we have the exact same team.....lol.

The problem I'm having with my team, is that a lot of perceived mid range value all comes from players who have super late bye weeks. It's hard trying to weigh the risk/reward of these players, knowing that week 11/12 when you need big performances the most, that you might be going in missing a top guy or two.

I guess I'll be bucking the current small roster trend in this thread when I roll out my 30 man roster without Jimmy Graham at TE. I'm finding a lot of potential value outside the top 10 in a few position categories...

The problem I'm having with my team, is that a lot of perceived mid range value all comes from players who have super late bye weeks. It's hard trying to weigh the risk/reward of these players, knowing that week 11/12 when you need big performances the most, that you might be going in missing a top guy or two.
There are a lot of potential studs/value plays with these two bye weeks. They will help you survive up to that point, where teams who have week 6-9 bye week players in key areas could be knocked out during those weeks. If enough people have 10/12 bye week players, your chances to advance might not be as bad as you think....many people can and probably will be in the same boat.

Last year teams with Lynch ($19) and Peterson ($21) did very well despite their week 11 bye....but what they had in common was that both those players had extreme value. This gave them extra cash to cover the late bye week.

The key for me is to spread out my bye weeks. Right now as my team sits, My top QB, 2 top RB, 3 top WR, and Top TE all have different bye weeks. And I only have two weeks where I have more than 2 people on a bye week at the same time. I prefer to have the top players on my team with an early bye week, but like SMC said, there are a lot of players I like late.

It's possible that I'm trying to find anything that will justify taking those players with late bye weeks.

How many WR's do you 'start"? In one spot of the entry form it says 2, on another it says 3. Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Start 2 WRs, along with 2 RB and 1 TE. Two flex come from any of those positions, so you could have 4 WRs score for you in a week.

HairySasquatch said:
ummich10 said:
Current roster

QB 2 / $31

RB 4 / $64

WR 7 / $90

TE 3 / $43

K 3 / $9

Def 3 / $13

22 Players

What do you mean by aggressive? Do you mean like having multiple studs with the same bye week...perhaps early? Or maybe rolling with Newton and backing him up with a $7 rookie? Or making your backups at RB, WR, and RE all in the $2-4 range?

Maybe we have the exact same team.....lol.
More studs than usual, not spreading out the byes quite as much and hoping to survive those weeks. Some of the cheaper QBs are intriguing, so I'm looking at those because I'm not liking the cheaper players at some of the other positions. Week 12 really sucks this year, lots of players I want but won't be touching. If I'm lucky to make it that far, might be hard to survive that week.

QB - 3 = $37

RB - 5 = $76

WR - 5 = $71

TE - 4 = $46

K - 3 = $10

D - 3 = $10

Tot - 23 = $250
Shuffled things up:

QB - 2 - $22

RB - 5 - $88

WR - 6 - $81

TE - 3 - $39

K - 3 - $10

D - 3 - $10

Tot - 22 - $250

First timer?

:whoosh:

Users who are viewing this thread