What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest to be Unveiled by Wednesday Morning (3 Viewers)

So I was looking at the weekly cutoff marks while considering, amongst other things, bye weeks. I broke it down to percentage advanced per week.

% advance

1 20000 ???

2 16000 80.00%

3 13000 81.25%

4 11000 84.62%

5 9000 81.82%

6 7000 77.78%

7 5500 78.57%

8 4250 77.27%

9 3250 76.47%

10 2500 76.92%

11 1750 70.00%

12 1000 57.14%

13 500 50.00%

14 250 50.00%

Week 4 looks like a great week to have a bunch of byes, but there doesn't seem to be much value from either GB or Car except maybe Lacy. Week 12 is what scares me; that's a huge drop in percentage. Even with the reduced salaries, I can't imagine I'll have many players with week 12 byes on my roster.

This is my first subscriber contest and it's a lot of fun. My roster composition at the moment is a lot different from most of those posted; I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing..
I'm a little concerned about the weeks that only have 2 teams with byes....4/6/7/11. Teams wont have as many players rostered because there aren't as many players to choose from. Because of this...scores from those weeks will be higher in my opinion.

Let's try this again with me picking up just about all the suggested cheap players.

QB - Andrew Luck - IND/8 - $16
QB - Matt Schaub - HOU/8 - $9
QB - EJ Manuel - BUF/12 - $7
RB - Ray Rice - BAL/8 - $28
RB - C.J. Spiller - BUF/12 - $26
RB - Frank Gore - SF/9 - $20
RB - Joique Bell - DET/9 - $6
WR - Demaryius Thomas - DEN/9 - $24
WR - Danny Amendola - NE/10 - $19
WR - DeSean Jackson - PHI/12 - $16
WR - Brian Hartline - MIA/6 - $9
WR - Brandon LaFell - CAR/4 - $7
WR - Mario Manningham - SF/9 - $3
WR - Kenbrell Thompkins - NE/10 - $2
TE - Jason Witten - DAL/11 - $23
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/12 - $7
TE - Julius Thomas - DEN/9 - $2
PK - Stephen Gostkowski - NE/10 - $5
PK - Garrett Hartley - NO/7 - $4
PK - Kai Forbath - WAS/5 - $3
TD - Seattle Seahawks - SEA/12 - $6
TD - Baltimore Ravens - BAL/8 - $4
TD - Arizona Cardinals - ARI/9 - $4

cdubz said:
Over/Under on Thompkins ownership after last night? I will go with 76%.
I'm going to take the under....although he should be the highest % owned. He will be last years $3 Cedric Benson who had a 51.8% ownership status.

In general, which would you guys rather choose? 2 K and 3 DEF or 3 K and 2 DEF? Assume all are $3 each.

I am surprised that Terrell Pryor is not listed as a QB option.
He's on page 2 for $1.75
How do you get to page 2? I can't see it on the contest page.

I'm sorry for the stupid question. I just signed up last night via the FanDuel offer.

Thank you and I'm glad to be here.
Sorry for the shtick. There is no page 2. All the players are listed on one page. Every year there are players that emerge during the preseason that would be cheap fliers but are not on the player list. Sudfeld at TE this year would be one.

I am surprised that Terrell Pryor is not listed as a QB option.
He's on page 2 for $1.75
How do you get to page 2? I can't see it on the contest page.

I'm sorry for the stupid question. I just signed up last night via the FanDuel offer.

Thank you and I'm glad to be here.
Sorry for the shtick. There is no page 2. All the players are listed on one page. Every year there are players that emerge during the preseason that would be cheap fliers but are not on the player list. Sudfeld at TE this year would be one.
No need to apologize. Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure I'll pick up on this kinda stuff eventually.

If you take a 3rd DT/PK that is taking $6 away from RB/WR. Quite the dilemma when that is the difference between the cost of Gore vs Spiller or Murray vs McCoy ... or the deeper roster method without drafting as many studs.

Ok, I am confused as heck about the Fanduel aspect of this contest (IE, the extra $35K for people who sign up there).

I spoke with someone at fanduel after signing up with my $20, and he indicated that it is NOT tied to your entry here.

They are doing something like a "Satellite" format where we enter a game over there, and then apparently the winners have a chance at $35K.

Here is the message from him:

Hi Kevin.

As mentioned in my initial response, you are eligible and can enter through this link: https://alpha.fanduel.com/e/Game/NFL_Salary_Cap_6648/view?tableId=885045&tableHash=e79162cc1f75125ebbd5b82659123247

Also, as noted, this is not entry in to one contest for $35k, rather you receive a free entry in to a contest where you can win free entry in to the Final (which is also a part of the subscriber contest). It's sort of a satellite format where several winners will move on to compete for larger prizes.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Thank you for playing FanDuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I am confused as heck about the Fanduel aspect of this contest (IE, the extra $35K for people who sign up there).

I spoke with someone at fanduel after signing up with my $20, and he indicated that it is NOT tied to your entry here.

They are doing something like a "Satellite" format where we enter a game over there, and then apparently the winners have a chance at $35K.

Hi Kevin.

As mentioned in my initial response, you are eligible and can enter through this link: https://alpha.fanduel.com/e/Game/NFL_Salary_Cap_6648/view?tableId=885045&tableHash=e79162cc1f75125ebbd5b82659123247

Also, as noted, this is not entry in to one contest for $35k, rather you receive a free entry in to a contest where you can win free entry in to the Final (which is also a part of the subscriber contest). It's sort of a satellite format where several winners will move on to compete for larger prizes.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

FanDuel Customer Support Team

www.fanduel.com
Now I'm more confused after reading this. Is Fanduel opening up a game on their website only for us?

Very strange that the FBG contest has a bunch of rules and legelese and the Fanduel contest side has some vague blurbs. I'm not even sure the Fanduel side is guaranting a full $35k payout. Last time I read it (contest webpages are down now), it looks like they were doubling your FBG payout if eligible and there is not a separate contest.

Very strange that the FBG contest has a bunch of rules and legelese and the Fanduel contest side has some vague blurbs. I'm not even sure the Fanduel side is guaranting a full $35k payout. Last time I read it (contest webpages are down now), it looks like they were doubling your FBG payout if eligible and there is not a separate contest.
Well, that was my major question I wanted confirmed after donating (I even sent him the link to the contest promotion showing the fanduel tie-in).

Can we please get some sort of clarification on this from someone? I sent my initial email to the support@fanduel address listed in this thread, so if they are giving a different answer than here, we really need to know how it is going to work.

Just tried to PM Dodds to ask him to clarify, but his PM box must be full. Anyone have any ideas who else to contact here?

Any mods or admins that can help?

Just tried to PM Dodds to ask him to clarify, but his PM box must be full. Anyone have any ideas who else to contact here?

Any mods or admins that can help?
I have no idea what the Fanduel payout piece is...I deposited $25 to my Fanduel account this year which entitled me to a 1-year FBG subscription.

I originally opened my Fanduel account last year but never deposited money since I kept winning free rolls and used those winnings to make bets each week.

I got lost when it came to the description about Fanduel matching the FBG $35k contest. Not sure if I qualify or if I have to deposit another $100 or shave a FBG staffer's back or something. It seemed a bit skewed towards people who just haven't done anything with Fanduel up until now. I thought it would be the opposite because most people who aren't lucky enough to win freerolls tend to deposit during the season.

good luck getting ahold of any staffers via PM.

Been trying for a while about my fanduel stuff and I just basically gave up.

Poor service from them for sure this season

I am pretty sure whoever told you the weird stuff at FanDuel does not know what they are talking about. They are partner with a lot of sites so that person was likely confused.

They have added $35K to our subscriber contest for qualifying people that bought through our link:

http://footballguys.com/fandueloffer.php?btag=a_1305b_358c_

If you never played before, you deposit $20 into FanDuel through the link and qualify.

If you did the FBG deal in 2012, then you need to reload with $100 through the link.

In all the years that I have been a subscriber and entering this contest, I know this year is my best entry. It's been a work in progress, perhaps a hundred (or so) iterations. My wife misses me. I told her she gets me back this Wednesday evening and that the grand prize payout of $40K at the end of the season will make it all worth while. :moneybag: Encouraged with that update, she told me to keep at it until the final deadline. :boxing:

I am pretty sure whoever told you the weird stuff at FanDuel does not know what they are talking about. They are partner with a lot of sites so that person was likely confused.

They have added $35K to our subscriber contest for qualifying people that bought through our link:

If you never played before, you deposit $20 into FanDuel through the link and qualify.

If you did the FBG deal in 2012, then you need to reload with $100 through the link.
Whoa. So if I get my Footballguys Insider subscription through FanDuel I'm now competing for $70,000 worth of prizes in the Footballguys Subscriber Contest?

That's right. FanDuel has added an extra $35,000 to the Footballguys Subscriber Contest this year. But the only way you can win some of that extra scratch is to get your Insider subscription through FanDuel. FanDuel will pay their extra $35,000 in cash prizes out to the top 150 finishers in the Footballguys Subscriber Contest who got an Insider subscription through FanDuel this year. That means if you come in first place and you got your 2013 Footballguys Insider subscription via FanDuel, you not only win $20,000 from us, you win another $20,000 from FanDuel as well. Now that's pretty awesome.
David - My advice would be to tighten up what's going on here. What happens if 1st isn't a fanduel elibible. Does the $20k not get paid or does it roll down to the first fanduel eligible entry who might have finished in 5th place. Obviously all 150 fbg prize winners aren't going to be Fanduel eligible, so what happens to the extra Fanduel prize monies after roll downs? Even if the fanduel prizes roll down past 150 to 250, I doubt you'll have 150 Fanduel people in the final 250 so there will be extra funds not accounted for.

You've pretty much guaranteed that Fanduel is paying an addtional $35k so you should probably figure out how it will be dispersed. If the payout structure is really just doubling any FBG prizes up to $35k, then it should be stated that way.

In all the years that I have been a subscriber and entering this contest, I know this year is my best entry. It's been a work in progress, perhaps a hundred (or so) iterations. My wife misses me. I told her she gets me back this Wednesday evening and that the grand prize payout of $40K at the end of the season will make it all worth while. :moneybag: Encouraged with that update, she told me to keep at it until the final deadline. :boxing:
That would be next wednesday evening.

BassNBrew said:
pghrob said:
That would be next wednesday evening.
Hmmm....more time to keep trying to perfect it, I guess. Hopefully the life time subscription on top of the $40k will be enough to hold her off another week. Thanks for getting me straight. :thumbup:

Hi Kevin.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

FanDuel Customer Support Team

www.fanduel.com
Now I'm more confused after reading this. Is Fanduel opening up a game on their website only for us?
To make it even more strange that link was to week two of LAST YEAR. Very clear from the matchups... OAK @ MIA, definitely week two of 2012.

BassNBrew said:
David Dodds said:

Whoa. So if I get my Footballguys Insider subscription through FanDuel I'm now competing for $70,000 worth of prizes in the Footballguys Subscriber Contest?

That's right. FanDuel has added an extra $35,000 to the Footballguys Subscriber Contest this year. But the only way you can win some of that extra scratch is to get your Insider subscription through FanDuel. FanDuel will pay their extra $35,000 in cash prizes out to the top 150 finishers in the Footballguys Subscriber Contest who got an Insider subscription through FanDuel this year. That means if you come in first place and you got your 2013 Footballguys Insider subscription via FanDuel, you not only win $20,000 from us, you win another $20,000 from FanDuel as well. Now that's pretty awesome.
David - My advice would be to tighten up what's going on here. What happens if 1st isn't a fanduel elibible. Does the $20k not get paid or does it roll down to the first fanduel eligible entry who might have finished in 5th place. Obviously all 150 fbg prize winners aren't going to be Fanduel eligible, so what happens to the extra Fanduel prize monies after roll downs? Even if the fanduel prizes roll down past 150 to 250, I doubt you'll have 150 Fanduel people in the final 250 so there will be extra funds not accounted for.

You've pretty much guaranteed that Fanduel is paying an addtional $35k so you should probably figure out how it will be dispersed. If the payout structure is really just doubling any FBG prizes up to $35k, then it should be stated that way.
I think it's explained in the rules clearly. FanDuel will also pay their top 150 spots. Only the top 250 total spots advance, so it's possible that FanDuel will already be awarding some of their lower winners before the final shootout based on where they finished in the last week they were cut.

What Happens if 1st isn't FanDuel eligible? They win our $20K top prize just as before. FanDuel's $20K goes to the top qualifying team that bought through them.

Think of it like this:

Leaderboard:

team 1 - Not eligible - Wins from FBG: $20,000 + lifetime subscription to Footballguys.com + 2013 FPC entry + Titlecraft Trophy. Wins from FanDuel: $0

team 2 - Eligible - Wins from FBG: $4,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com. Wins from FanDuel: $20,000 + lifetime subscription to Footballguys.com + 2013 FPC entry + Titlecraft Trophy

team 3 - Eligible - Wins from FBG: $2,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com. Wins from FanDuel: $4,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com

etc...

and so on

BassNBrew said:
David Dodds said:

I think it's explained in the rules clearly. FanDuel will also pay their top 150 spots. Only the top 250 total spots advance, so it's possible that FanDuel will already be awarding some of their lower winners before the final shootout based on where they finished in the last week they were cut.

What Happens if 1st isn't FanDuel eligible? They win our $20K top prize just as before. FanDuel's $20K goes to the top qualifying team that bought through them.

Think of it like this:

Leaderboard:

team 1 - Not eligible - Wins from FBG: $20,000 + lifetime subscription to Footballguys.com + 2013 FPC entry + Titlecraft Trophy. Wins from FanDuel: $0

team 2 - Eligible - Wins from FBG: $4,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com. Wins from FanDuel: $20,000 + lifetime subscription to Footballguys.com + 2013 FPC entry + Titlecraft Trophy

team 3 - Eligible - Wins from FBG: $2,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com. Wins from FanDuel: $4,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com

etc...

and so on
Thanks, I didn't see that level of detail in the rules, but maybe I missed it.

Will the FD entires have a special designation when you post weekly results that we'll be able to see?

I know David won't be able to answer this, but does anyone want to take a guess at the % of enteries that will be FD eligible?

So, if I win first and since I'm eligible for the Fanduel prize, I'd win:

$40,000 + 2 Trophies? + 2 entries into 2014 FPC (wouldn't 2013 be done?) + 2 lifetime subscriptions?

Can I gift one of the subscriptions to another FBG?

//firstworldproblems

I know David won't be able to answer this, but does anyone want to take a guess at the % of enteries that will be FD eligible?
Rough guess, something that makes their 35K outlay worth it at minimum. Plus, they top off the cash you load in with an extra 30% bonus. For the math, lets assume that is 30% of $40 (we'll guess $40 is the average amount people load into their account). So, $12 per new user + FBG 1 year per player ($30) + 35K.

Now, I heard a commericial on the radio for Fanduel (aside: There will be LOTS of idiots joining this year if their advertising this on sports talk radio frequently), and that promotion was deposit $100, get $100 in bonus cash.

So, if we assume they're roughly set for the customer acquisition costs to be the same, then we get this equation:

35,000 + 42x = 100x

35,000 = 58x

x = 604 people

So, for this deal between FBGs and Fanduel to make sense in the slightest, FBGs needs to generate at least 604 new customers for Fanduel. And if FBGs is generating MORE than that David, you guys should ask for a better deal for us next year.

Obviously a lot of assumptions were made here, but I would wager there are a lot more thank 604 folks who took advantage of the deal.

David Dodds said:

So wait...What was the FBG deal in 2012 - something other than just the weekly freeroll contests where we beat a FBG staffer and won $5 each week?

I re-upped here through Fanduel. Does that mean I can pretend to think that I'll be in the extra money donated by Fanduel? In reality, I'm not winning *&%$ with my picks.

Ok, so who can I contact over there to make sure that my entry is counted as eligible for the extra prize money? I signed up through my work email, so it is not the same as the email I signed up through over here.

Also, who can I talk to here to make sure my extra year is added as well on here, as I don't see it applied yet.

Getting down to crunch time. Once I have this figured out, I'm going to have so much more time for activities!

QB - 2 @ 29

RB - 5 @ 79

WR - 7 @ 98

TE - 4 @ 26

PK - 3 @ 9

DEF - 3 @ 9

Total: 24 Players

I think I'm there:

QB - 2 @ 23

RB - 5 @ 115 (lol)

WR - 6 @ 73

TE - 3 @ 20

PK - 3 @ 9

DF - 3 @ 10

Total: 22 Players

I usually like to have more players, but this team just feels right.

When valuing a position in this contest, it looks like most people are picking 2 QB set ups. I have never played in a normal fantasy league where Passing TDs are only 4 points, so obviously QBs are not as valuable as if the TDs were 6 points.

When looking at the math tough, how do you set the priority of players?

In other words, with TE receptions at 1.5 points, is Jimmy Graham a must have or do the TEs now have additional value over a WR?

I think I have already changed my team 50 times and still cannot decide. To make it worse, every site has something different about their predictions. ESPN has an article that shows Andrew Luck, CJ Spiller and Kaepernick as possible busts (simplified version), and several non-factor players as sleepers. Other sites basically show the opposite. (That was just an example, and I know things are much more complicated than that).

I did OK last year (made it in the top 4k or so), but did not put this kind of thought into it. I know this is going to take a great deal of luck, but the more I change my team, the more I think I am missing a key player or do not have enough RBs, etc.....

My current team is:

QB 3 @ $35

RB 4 @$80

WR 5 @ $78

TE 3 @ $32

K 3 @ $11

DEF 3 @ $14

I think I'm now set....unless someone gets injured in practice before Wednesday.

QB- 2 @ 32------->A solid and a wildcard. Could have monster weeks here.

RB- 6 @ 77------->Feeling ok here. Things will have to fall right for them to be elite. If an injury happens to the right guy, watch out.

WR- 6 @ 93------>Solid group, but I had to spend for it.

TE- 3 @ 29------->Really wanted Graham, but I didn't like the rest of my team when I picked him. No depth behind him.

K- 3 @ 9---------->Nothing to say here.....just three $3 kickers.

DEF- 3 @ 10----->Same as above....nothing special.

23 total players....usually have less players, but overall I feel good about this team. Need to avoid the injury bug, but so does everyone else.

My team is locked in barring late injuries:

QB - 3 @ $35 I went 3 this year for the first time ever, maybe that's what it'll take to get me past week 9 for once...

RB - 4 @ $85 4 solid starting RB's, injuries are a crapshoot so I'm betting on avoiding injuries this year vs. taking #2 RB's on the cheap as insurance

WR - 7 @ $79 2 #1's, a handfull of #2's and a cheap flyer

TE - 3 @ $32 1 top 10, 1 top 20 and 1 prayer

K - 3 @ $10 - usually go 3 for $3 here, but had 1 guy I wanted to pay up for

D/ST - 3 @ $9 My usual try to pick the best 3 out of the $3 bunch

A little different team for me this year with 23 guys, I'm usually closer to 30. Swinging for the fence this year...

Quite a range in number of running backs and $ spent on the listed risters. Could be interesting discussion as there seems to be few "bargains" here this year.

Most listed rosters seem to have less players as well, so that may be the biggest indicator that at least some agree.

QB 2 @ 24 ------ One solid and one flier...both could potentially put up big numbers

RB 5 @ 97 ------ Three solid starting RB's, especially in a PPR league, 2 guys to fill in "when" the starters in front of them go down

WR 8 @ 81 ------ Two top 15 guys, 2 mid-level upside value's, 3 cheap fliers

TE 3 @ 27 ------- One top 5, and 2 fliers with upside

K 3 @ 10 -------- Usually go 3 @ $9 but wanted to pay for one guy I liked

TD 3 @ 11 ------- 2 decent DEF's with some upside, and one is a shot in the dark

24 players total

Feeling pretty good about my team so far...

Just concerned about Bye Weeks 8, 9, and 11...have 4 players off in each week....Weeks 8 and 9 do not concern me as much as Week 11 though

I've spent way too much time on this lottery ticket contest, but I think I've finally come to a roster I like. The problem is I only have 18 players.

QBs 2 @ $31

RBs 4 @ $76

WRs 5 @ $68

TEs 3 @ $57

PK 2 @ $8

DEF 2 @ $7

Users who are viewing this thread