What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summer Call-ups: 2012 Edition (2 Viewers)

'pantagrapher said:
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_GoldsteinSources have confirmed: The #Dodgers have called up 2B Alex Castellanos. I'm a believer in his bat.
:goodposting: Castellanos was tearing up the PCL but can also steal you some bases and is even more valuable if your league has him at 2B/MI (where he played the majority of games so far this year).....the only question mark is if he will get enough at bats but I think he gets the chance

Last edited by a moderator:
'pantagrapher said:
Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_GoldsteinSources have confirmed: The #Dodgers have called up 2B Alex Castellanos. I'm a believer in his bat.
:goodposting: Castellanos was tearing up the PCL but can also steal you some bases and is even more valuable if your league has him at 2B/MI (where he played the majority of games so far this year).....the only question mark is if he will get enough at bats but I think he gets the chance
He's not the first hitter to put up big numbers in Albuquerque. His strikeout rate is way down since getting traded from the Cardinals organization. We'll find out if the improvement is legit.

Yasmani Grandal has been called up by the Padres. Should have a good ave and OBP . Pick him up if you need a catcher.

'pantagrapher said:
He's not the first hitter to put up big numbers in Albuquerque. His strikeout rate is way down since getting traded from the Cardinals organization. We'll find out if the improvement is legit.
I've heard some tempered expectations so far, but Goldstein is such a hard sell when it comes to giving a call-up credit for hitting prowess that I'm inclined to think the kid is legit.

any good SS bats on the horizon?
Most of the hot SS prospects (Profar, Machado, Segura, Nick Franklin, Bogaerts, Colon) are all at AA or below. Andrelton Simmons could be the best rookie SS this year but I'm not convinced he'll be a plus fantasy bat.
Agree with the above, but would like to add Billy Hamilton's name to this list. He's in A ball, but is finally hitting for average and has more stolen bases than games played. There are some entertaining articles about him out there... causing balks, tagging up on a pop fly hit to the second baseman, scoring from second base on a sac fly, etc. If he can cut the strikeouts and handle the glove, he could be fantasy gold in a few years.

Most of the hot SS prospects (Profar, Machado, Segura, Nick Franklin, Bogaerts, Colon) are all at AA or below. Andrelton Simmons could be the best rookie SS this year but I'm not convinced he'll be a plus fantasy bat.
Agree with the above, but would like to add Billy Hamilton's name to this list. He's in A ball, but is finally hitting for average and has more stolen bases than games played. There are some entertaining articles about him out there... causing balks, tagging up on a pop fly hit to the second baseman, scoring from second base on a sac fly, etc. If he can cut the strikeouts and handle the glove, he could be fantasy gold in a few years.
Some concerns out there about sticking at SSProfar - do they trade or move Andrus or does Profar switch positions?Bogaerts - move to 3B or OF likelyColon - might be a 2B

Some concerns out there about sticking at SSProfar - do they trade or move Andrus or does Profar switch positions?Bogaerts - move to 3B or OF likelyColon - might be a 2B
Definitely agree re: Hamilton. Minor league fielding stats are hard to parse but a FLD% in the .930 range isn't good at any level. Colon supposedly can field the SS position but the Royals need a 2B more. Bogaerts is 19 and hasn't finished developed physically. You're probably right that he won't be a SS when he reaches the show.

Fernando Martinez starting in right and batting 6th for Houston tonight. The opportunity is there for him to stay for a while.

[Profar - do they trade or move Andrus or does Profar switch positions?
Current conjecture is that when Profar is ready there are two options1) If Michael Young is gone, Andrus moves to 2b and Kinsler is the super utility guy2) Either Andrus or more likely Kinsler could move to CF (Hamilton either in left or has left)But we are likely talking 2014 decisions not 2013

Post-hype sleepers Matt LaPorta and Brett Wallace called up to the Indians and Astros respectively. Both have double digit HRs in AAA.

So where are we at with the big pitchers?

Bauer

Cole

Hultzen

Shelby miller

From a Yankee perspective, banelos has been dinged and inconsistent. But something will give soon between kuroda and nova so David phelps might get a look.

Post-hype sleepers Matt LaPorta and Brett Wallace called up to the Indians and Astros respectively. Both have double digit HRs in AAA.
Good info here. Are they up for interleague or will they play?What happened to Wallace? Did he get hurt, he had a high avg start with no power one year right?

Good info here. Are they up for interleague or will they play?What happened to Wallace? Did he get hurt, he had a high avg start with no power one year right?
Wallace is replacing Carlos Lee who's on the 15 day DL.LaPorta is ostensibly up for Johnny Damon who is off for a 3-day paternity gig. But Pronk just had knee surgery and Kotchman has been terrible, so there's probably more opportunity than just a 3-day callup.

Wallace is replacing Carlos Lee who's on the 15 day DL.LaPorta is ostensibly up for Johnny Damon who is off for a 3-day paternity gig. But Pronk just had knee surgery and Kotchman has been terrible, so there's probably more opportunity than just a 3-day callup.
Kotchman's defense will keep him in the lineup vs. all righties. LaPorta will get lefties and some DH starts - although he's behind Duncan and Santana (and maybe Asdrubal) in the pecking order.

It looks like Rizzo isn't coming up any time soon. He won't see action during inter league play.
What is the thought here? He screams AAAA player to me, are they trying to keep his value up?
The Company Line: He needs more time to fully eliminate the hole in his swing.The Financial Line: He has 68 days of service. Rough calculations are that he can't come up until after June 21 in order to avoid a full service year (losing a year of control). And furthermore, the Cubs might have to wait until August to avoid super 2 status because of that service last year. Reality: The Cubs have sold enough tickets to make this year a profitable one. Losing a year of control is not worth the financial bump he will provide in attendance. Rizzo isn't going to turn the Cubs into an instant winner so the attendance bump will be minimal. So if the calculations are correct, he will not be brought up until late June at the earliest. The only question is if the Cubs will do everything possible to avoid super 2 and not bring him up until August.

So where are we at with the big pitchers?BauerColeHultzenShelby millerFrom a Yankee perspective, banelos has been dinged and inconsistent. But something will give soon between kuroda and nova so David phelps might get a look.
Bauer reputedly to be called up "soon". I'd stash him where available.

He played Friday night and had 2 RBIs, then sat the bench on both Saturday and Sunday. :blink:

He played Friday night and had 2 RBIs, then sat the bench on both Saturday and Sunday. :blink:
Platooning w/ Abreu

So where are we at with the big pitchers?BauerColeHultzenShelby millerFrom a Yankee perspective, banelos has been dinged and inconsistent. But something will give soon between kuroda and nova so David phelps might get a look.
Bauer may be the first one up - he is ready but they need to create/decide on the opening....it may have to wait until they can trade SaundersHultzen would be the next up IF he is not the first up - doing great after his first game and very advanced as a college pitcher. I think he will be up for good by the All Star Break and pitches in a nice home park even if his offense can't score muchMiller has I think been inconsistent and they don't have a need or opening (unless Garcia needs surgery)Cole - I don't think there are any plans to bring him up before September and he hasn't pitched as well as Bauer or Hultzen

It looks like Rizzo isn't coming up any time soon. He won't see action during inter league play.
What is the thought here? He screams AAAA player to me, are they trying to keep his value up?
The Company Line: He needs more time to fully eliminate the hole in his swing.The Financial Line: He has 68 days of service. Rough calculations are that he can't come up until after June 21 in order to avoid a full service year (losing a year of control). And furthermore, the Cubs might have to wait until August to avoid super 2 status because of that service last year. Reality: The Cubs have sold enough tickets to make this year a profitable one. Losing a year of control is not worth the financial bump he will provide in attendance. Rizzo isn't going to turn the Cubs into an instant winner so the attendance bump will be minimal. So if the calculations are correct, he will not be brought up until late June at the earliest. The only question is if the Cubs will do everything possible to avoid super 2 and not bring him up until August.
My Line: When you are a major market team, you don't play "penny ante" games with your best prospect. You leave that stuff for the Royals....er, nevermind.This decision should be based on one question only, what's best for Rizzo's development?I'm sure some of those financial things are a consideration, but that would be pretty sad if it were the basis of this decision.

My Line: When you are a major market team, you don't play "penny ante" games with your best prospect. You leave that stuff for the Royals....er, nevermind.This decision should be based on one question only, what's best for Rizzo's development?I'm sure some of those financial things are a consideration, but that would be pretty sad if it were the basis of this decision.
I agree with you. I just don't see what other angle they are working from.

How bad is the wrist injury?

How bad is the wrist injury?
I don't think that is a concern. It is obvious that they don't want him repeating his failure of last year. They are saying he is smoothing his swing issues and will be ready soon. The organization talk makes me thing he will ripen as soon as his service time allows them the additional year of control. So I would guess late June here.

Is Rizzo the top hitting prospect this year? I don't know much about the minors.
Forgetting about Harper and Trout already?Of what is still in the minors though, he probably is the top hitter expected to make an impact this year. Wil Myers is on his level but it is questionable if he sees time before September. Travis D'Arnaud could be a plus hitting catcher for the Blue Jays who might be called up if JP continues to struggle. Christian Yelich and Nolan Arenado are other possibilities with Yelich looking like the stronger hitter this year but seemingly farther away. Most of the other elite hitters are 2013 (or September call up) at the earliest.

Is Rizzo the top hitting prospect this year? I don't know much about the minors.
Forgetting about Harper and Trout already?Of what is still in the minors though, he probably is the top hitter expected to make an impact this year. Wil Myers is on his level but it is questionable if he sees time before September. Travis D'Arnaud could be a plus hitting catcher for the Blue Jays who might be called up if JP continues to struggle. Christian Yelich and Nolan Arenado are other possibilities with Yelich looking like the stronger hitter this year but seemingly farther away. Most of the other elite hitters are 2013 (or September call up) at the earliest.
Harper and Trout are no longer prospects - they are Major League Players

Harper and Trout are no longer prospects - they are Major League Players
Is Rizzo the top hitting prospect this year? Guess what Hook. Trout and Harper were prospects this year.It was a little joke since his choice of words did not eliminate them. But I knew what he meant and clearly answered it. So what was the point of your reply?

So wasn't sure if a middle relief guy who may or may not stick was worth a mention but Sean Doolittle.

Has 3 appearances so far. Most recent today he went 2innings of 0 hits, 0 walks, and 5k's.

In high A and AA this year he had 40k's in 21.1 innings. Definitely worth a look in leagues that use K/9.

So wasn't sure if a middle relief guy who may or may not stick was worth a mention but Sean Doolittle.Has 3 appearances so far. Most recent today he went 2innings of 0 hits, 0 walks, and 5k's.In high A and AA this year he had 40k's in 21.1 innings. Definitely worth a look in leagues that use K/9.
He's worth a look in more leagues than just those.

So wasn't sure if a middle relief guy who may or may not stick was worth a mention but Sean Doolittle.Has 3 appearances so far. Most recent today he went 2innings of 0 hits, 0 walks, and 5k's.In high A and AA this year he had 40k's in 21.1 innings. Definitely worth a look in leagues that use K/9.
He's worth a look in more leagues than just those.
ESPN still has him listed as a 1B. :mellow:

Is Hultzen officially on the stash list? Is he any threat to come up? Bevan and Noesi stink, Millwood dinged.. what do y'all think?

Is Hultzen officially on the stash list? Is he any threat to come up? Bevan and Noesi stink, Millwood dinged.. what do y'all think?
i added him since bauer was already taken
I keep seeing the speculation on Hultzen, but for some reason he's not striking me as "ready." Control problems early in the season. Lots of walks. The 9K/9 isn't stunning. I like to see gaudy numbers from a pitching prospect. The potential is definitely there, but I can't shake the feeling we won't be seeing him until September, if at all.

i added him since bauer was already taken
I keep seeing the speculation on Hultzen, but for some reason he's not striking me as "ready." Control problems early in the season. Lots of walks. The 9K/9 isn't stunning. I like to see gaudy numbers from a pitching prospect. The potential is definitely there, but I can't shake the feeling we won't be seeing him until September, if at all.
...and even if we do he might not be anything special on a team that won't generate many W's unless he goes deep into games and pitches well.

Is Hultzen even pegged as a big fantasy guy? I remember either Law or Goldstein going on in detail about how one of the M's pitching prospects was going to be more of a 200 inning 120 K type, Buehrle-ish even, great MLB starter but not striking many out. I know Paxton is a big K guy and I thought Taijuan Walker was as well...

Hultzen has given up only 2er in his last 45 or so IP nearly 1k per inning over that time. Also looks like hes significantly cut down on his walks. ERA down to 1.19 this year.

Users who are viewing this thread