What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SUNDAY TICKET (1 Viewer)

Mik789fl

Footballguy
I'm thinking of getting Directtv put on my family room tv just so I can get the Sunday Ticket this year. I'd like to know if the price is worth it. I'd like some honest plus and minus opinions about it. I'm an avid football fan and fantasy player. Has anyone felt ripped off after getting the Ticket? Is it really worth $250? Thanks for any opinions.

I'm thinking of getting Directtv put on my family room tv just so I can get the Sunday Ticket this year. I'd like to know if the price is worth it. I'd like some honest plus and minus opinions about it. I'm an avid football fan and fantasy player. Has anyone felt ripped off after getting the Ticket? Is it really worth $250? Thanks for any opinions.
Let me answer your question in this manner. If the NFL package cost $2000, I'd pay it.Seriously.[Don't tell that to anyone at Directv...] ;)

I think it is worth it....That's basically all I use Direct TV for anyway. I have regular cable to because I can't get local stations on Direct TV where I live and have four other TV's in the house. I usually go to one or two games a year but the other 15 weeks it's the best. You can watch any game you want and switch between games if others are close.Last year was my first and signed up again this year.

I just signed up from it last week and switched from cable. By signing up I received 4 free months of the premier service ($90 value), free installation and equipment, and NFL Sunday Ticket for 4 payments of $62. The premier service includes all sports channels and all movie channels. I was paying over $50 month for cable so this was a no brainer for me. This will be my first year with the Ticket and I can't wait. :yes:

Let me answer your question in this manner. If the NFL package cost $2000, I'd pay it.Seriously.[Don't tell that to anyone at Directv...] ;)
:thumbup: Dont know how i would afford the 2 G's, but i would find a way.

I just signed up from it last week and switched from cable. By signing up I received 4 free months of the premier service ($90 value), free installation and equipment, and NFL Sunday Ticket for 4 payments of $62. The premier service includes all sports channels and all movie channels. I was paying over $50 month for cable so this was a no brainer for me. This will be my first year with the Ticket and I can't wait. :yes:
:thumbup: :yes: $62 a month for this, with all the premium content? No-####ing-brainer. Only problem with it for me is that I'm not home during the week, so I have to wait until the 21st for them to come out. :thumbdown:

Thanks guys,looks like anyone into football really likes the service. Any negatives out there to balance the argument? If not,it's looking like a no brainer. :rolleyes:

An absolute must for a fantasy football nut! One thing to point out, and kinda a negative, is if you have a team local to your area those games will be blacked out on the ticket channels. So you should definitely get yourself your local channels as well if you run into that problem. I also highly recommend the DirecTV Tivo. Get them to install 2 lines when they come out...dual tuner dvr is amazing!-PSA

I'm going on my third year with it, and thought about cancelling it this year, but, in the end I decided to keep it. I love it, but, the downfall to it is this... I am a packer fan so when the Packer games are on, I watch them ALL the time. I will switch during commercials etc. However, there are advantages. When the Packers have a 3:00 game or Monday night game, then I have my noons free or my whole Sundays free to watch whatever game I want. Realitically, to get the FULL effect from the ticket you probably need 16 TV's to have all the games on at one time. Still love it enough to keep renewing it. Besides, my wife tells me to get it every year since sports is really the one thing I have any interest in, and they keep me happy. It's the only thing i spend any money on.

The only drawback is the crap balckout rule they now have, which they didn't have until last year, but yet the say they always did. Also the fact that you can't get the 4 O'clock game that your local station is showing until the original 1 O'Clock game on that station ends.So your watching the Pats on CBS at 1 O'Clock and the Jets start at 4 on CBS. If the Pats go into overtime you can't watch the Jets until the Pats game ends. It rarley happens, but whenit does it pisses you off. Expecially if the game finally comes on and its 7-0 1/2 way through the first quarter.Other than that its great. I wish they would change the way they do stats on the channels that have games that ended.

The only drawback is the crap balckout rule they now have, which they didn't have until last year, but yet the say they always did. Also the fact that you can't get the 4 O'clock game that your local station is showing until the original 1 O'Clock game on that station ends.So your watching the Pats on CBS at 1 O'Clock and the Jets start at 4 on CBS. If the Pats go into overtime you can't watch the Jets until the Pats game ends. It rarley happens, but whenit does it pisses you off. Expecially if the game finally comes on and its 7-0 1/2 way through the first quarter.Other than that its great. I wish they would change the way they do stats on the channels that have games that ended.
I'd be keeping cable also so the local teams will be available I believe.

Realitically, to get the FULL effect from the ticket you probably need 16 TV's to have all the games on at one time.
Not exactly. ;) Most Sundays last year, there were exactly nine 1:00 games, which is how I arrived at the number of TVs that I needed. Only four Sundays did they bring more than nine games at 1:00, and every time it was EXACTLY ten games. On those weeks, there is always going to be one game that you don't have money on, or you have no fantasy players going. But even still, I bring it up on the big screen from time to time.

The only negatives I can think of:Can lose signal in bad weather (but I have more overall uptime than I did with cable, since drunks running into telephone poles cannot interrupt service)Local games blacked out, so if DTV doesnt have local channels in your area, you need second tv or other contrived arrangement view locals.They automatically start billing you for next season about sixmonths too early. That always chaps me.Especially since its nonrefundable and I may die.SOme of the worst customer service in the world. Make sure you are properly setup and running before season starts. Onthe plusside, it is extremely rare that Ineed a Customer Service rep.ALL THESE THINGS ARE MINOR relative to what you get. Its the best thing on TV and I would pay much more than they ask (and I am sure I will as it goes up every year, I just pray they never make it alacarte).

Realitically, to get the FULL effect from the ticket you probably need 16 TV's to have all the games on at one time.
Not exactly. ;) Most Sundays last year, there were exactly nine 1:00 games, which is how I arrived at the number of TVs that I needed. Only four Sundays did they bring more than nine games at 1:00, and every time it was EXACTLY ten games. On those weeks, there is always going to be one game that you don't have money on, or you have no fantasy players going. But even still, I bring it up on the big screen from time to time.
I guess you need nine receivers for this... isnt that an extra $45 a month?

hold on hold on hold on...what's this about the local channels? I don't (won't) forsake my Bucs games for this.you lose your local channels if you sign up for this?

1000% worth iti was spending $50-$100 every weekend at sports bars to watch my boys. $169 a year is a no braineri have never had a problem with my signal. i have never had a problem with customer service. in fact, every time i call for a minor complaint i can talk them into 3 months of showtime for free.if you're getting it for the first time, try to get a deal on a new customer special for TIVO.you will NEVER regret it

hold on hold on hold on...what's this about the local channels? I don't (won't) forsake my Bucs games for this.you lose your local channels if you sign up for this?
No. You may have to pay additionally to get them, but they are almost always available. The local game will be blacked out on Sunday Ticket...but will still be broadcast locally if a sell out.

Dude hit that like a hammer satellite rocks!! I tend to like the channels on Directv better than dish network and I am screwed because i am in this damn condo with no clear southerly access so I am stuck with comcast. I still had my sat reciever and they had a deal for digital cable and HBO for $30 and I still want to get satellite...maybe I can put it up in my room through the window.P.S. Spend the extra $$ and get the radio remote control. It will change your life forever. :thumbup: :popcorn:

The only negatives I can think of:

Can lose signal in bad weather (but I have more overall uptime than I did with cable, since drunks running into telephone poles cannot interrupt service)

Sme of the worst customer service in the world.
Sup, cos....To your first point. I have to laugh when I see the commercials pimping cable TV. One of their arguments against Directv is that the weather will knock out your reception. They actually show a guy sitting in his house during a thunderstorm, and his Directv is on the fritz.... he gets frustrated and immediately calls the cable company to make an appointment for installation! :rolleyes: In nine years with Directv, I can honestly tell you that weather has interrupted my service maybe three times, and each time it has been back up within ten minutes. I live in New Engalnd, as well. We get some of the nastiest weather conditions you can imagine.

As for your second point about the poor customer service... oh man... don't get me started. I'll give you the cliff notes version. I'm in the process of buying a house, and because I'm going with a no-doc, stated income plan, the lender wanted to see some various forms of credit lines and bills that I've been paying. I told them about Directv, and they said "sure, just get us 12 months of statements from Directv and you'll be fine." So I call Directv on July 7th, and they told me that it would take 10-14 business days to send me the statements. A little excessive, I thought, but no problem. I wasn't due to close until early August. By 7/28 (15 business days later), the statements still had not arrived. I called, and they told me that "your 12 months worth of statements are on the website." Well, they weren't. The second person I spoke to told me that you can only view one month at a time online, and that he doesn't know why person #1 told me that. After getting transferred three more times, I demanded to speak with a supervisor. This moron proceeds to tell me that my statements were never, in fact, mailed out. After ten minutes of screaming at him, he assured me that they would go out tomorrow........ and that I would get them in 10-14 business days. That did me a lot of good, since I was closing in seven days.

Anyway, the lender took mercy on me and rescinded his request for those statements. I provided other things in lieu of them. But my point remains that cosjobs was absolutely correct. Directv's customer service is a JOKE!

I just ordered DirecTV for the first time, Installation is scheduled for next Friday. Question for anyone out there, I chose the 2 receiver package as I am a broke college student and only have 2 rooms to hook up, but if I ordered the third would I be able to set up the 3 TVs and receivers in the same room?

An absolute must for a fantasy football nut! One thing to point out, and kinda a negative, is if you have a team local to your area those games will be blacked out on the ticket channels. So you should definitely get yourself your local channels as well if you run into that problem. I also highly recommend the DirecTV Tivo. Get them to install 2 lines when they come out...dual tuner dvr is amazing!-PSA
:goodposting: I didn't know about the Tivo option last year, but I think it is about $100 more. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely to the Tivo/ DirecTV DVR.

I just ordered DirecTV for the first time, Installation is scheduled for next Friday. Question for anyone out there, I chose the 2 receiver package as I am a broke college student and only have 2 rooms to hook up, but if I ordered the third would I be able to set up the 3 TVs and receivers in the same room?
Yep. I wouldn't hook up more than three TVs though. That would be excessive. :D

I guess you need nine receivers for this... isnt that an extra $45 a month?
Well, not quite. It's an extra $40 a month. I always had the HD receiver set up.So, eight more non-HD receivers x $5/mo.

That's the only overhead once all of the equipment is paid for. No brainer.

Absolutely without a doubt it is worth it. Again, just like Raider said, if the package cost thousands a year, I would pay it. Take a look at my sig for a picture of my NFL Sunday Ticket setup every week.

This will be my first year with the Ticket and I can't wait. :yes:
You're gonna love it! This will be my 9th year... one for each TV. :football:
So friggin' unfair... :cry:
i like how raider nation has the patriots on the big screen. tuck rule anyone?
Getting to watch that many NFL games at the same time every week makes up for any pain caused by the tuck rule.
LOL. One note of caution, however.DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME IF YOU ARE MARRIED!

Unless, of course, you don't want to be married anymore. ;)

Absolutely without a doubt it is worth it. Again, just like Raider said, if the package cost thousands a year, I would pay it. Take a look at my sig for a picture of my NFL Sunday Ticket setup every week.
You got a pic with the flash? I'd like to see your setup in the light. I just switched my pic to "lights off" mode, BTW. I forgot I took that pic until I saw yours. :thumbup:

get 2 and 1 so they wire up all your rooms. you can always get an extension coax cable and bring a 3rd tv into the room. and get the tivo upgrade

you don't lose them necessarily. but number one, if you have the sunday ticket you'l get the bucs game on it. not all cities get local channels through directv. since the signal is a national signal, they have no repeaters that can add local channels. so you pay 5 bucks for local channels if they're offered in your area. tampa probably should be ok. but like i said, you'll still get the bucs game. unless it doesn't sell out. directv is still bound by the nfl local blackout rules. in case you didn't know it, it says: if a home game doesn't sell out in a certain time before the game, it is blcked out within 90 miles of the stadium. directv complies with it.

This will be my first year with the Ticket and I can't wait.  :yes:
You're gonna love it! This will be my 9th year... one for each TV. :football:
So friggin' unfair... :cry:
i like how raider nation has the patriots on the big screen. tuck rule anyone?
Over it. And peeps have hit me with that joke everytime I post that pic. So THERE! :boxing:
just the jealousy talking. i only have a 36", a 27", and a 13" for my setup. :cry:

I just LOVE those enhanced channels they had for the ticket. 2 games had the enhanced version and with that one you knew when to flip the channel! It told you the scores of every game, what channel they were on, if they just scored, and if they were in the red zone. They also had a ticker at the bottom for news. I hope they dedicate more than 2 channels this year for those enhanced games...

you don't lose them necessarily. but number one, if you have the sunday ticket you'l get the bucs game on it. not all cities get local channels through directv. since the signal is a national signal, they have no repeaters that can add local channels. so you pay 5 bucks for local channels if they're offered in your area. tampa probably should be ok. but like i said, you'll still get the bucs game. unless it doesn't sell out. directv is still bound by the nfl local blackout rules. in case you didn't know it, it says: if a home game doesn't sell out in a certain time before the game, it is blcked out within 90 miles of the stadium. directv complies with it.
Capella, you can check here to see if local channels are available Local DirecTV

get 2 and 1 so they wire up all your rooms. you can always get an extension coax cable and bring a 3rd tv into the room. and get the tivo upgrade
Do you pay extra monthly charges per receiver?

It's really not all that expensive... compare: minimum of 3 beers a game at the local watering hole to catch all the games, at $5 a pop... that's $30 a weekend just to sit there, x17 weeks. See, hon... I'm saving money with Sunday Ticket and saving my liver at the same time!

Ordered TIVO upgrade and signed up online so I will get a free DVD player, that I plan to sell on Ebay to pay for the TIVO upgrade.

The only draw back from the Ticket is that at 1pm, there are too many games on. I found I was always switching from one game to another to another to another to another, so I never really got into the rythm of any game. It seemed like I would watch the Bills offense to see if Moulds caught anything, then when they got stopped I would switch over and watch to see if Priest could punch it in, and then switch over to see if Curtis Martin was in getting goal line carries, and then see if yada, yada, yada. By the time you settle into a groove, all the games are starting the 4th quarter and you try to pick a close game to watch.If your a Panthers fan living in San Francisco, sure the ticket is a great way to watch all their games, but if you're only interested in players (like many of us FFers are) you can get that ADD feeling. :shock: It's kind of as if God spoke to you in a dream one night and said he could give your wife 10 beautiful, perky breasts. So you think, "Sure, that sounds friggin' awesome." And then you realize you only have 2 hands. :P :bag:

you can get local channels in Tallahasse now

O.K. You guys convinced me. My main TV is a widescreen HD. Tommorrow I'm calling and ordering Directtv HD with the Sunday Ticket. I'm cutting the cable and (if your all right) about to enhance my fantasy football experience. Thanks for all the great comments,you guys have exceded my expectations. :thumbup:

O.K. You guys convinced me. My main TV is a widescreen HD. Tommorrow I'm calling and ordering Directtv HD with the Sunday Ticket. I'm cutting the cable and (if your all right) about to enhance my fantasy football experience. Thanks for all the great comments,you guys have exceded my expectations. :thumbup:
Attaboy! Good luck, man. :popcorn:

Ordered TIVO upgrade and signed up online so I will get a free DVD player, that I plan to sell on Ebay to pay for the TIVO upgrade.
Dont count on getting but about $20, if that.

I just LOVE those enhanced channels they had for the ticket. 2 games had the enhanced version and with that one you knew when to flip the channel! It told you the scores of every game, what channel they were on, if they just scored, and if they were in the red zone. They also had a ticker at the bottom for news. I hope they dedicate more than 2 channels this year for those enhanced games...
Those are cool, but the picture qulaity is vastly inferior and I wish they'd but them next to the other channels. I like just using the up and down channel button and they always stick those too far away. I usually run that to one small tv and use it for a cheat sheet on which channel to go to on the big screen.,

You will be eternally grateful.I recommend ordering thru the Satellite Experts website. They are really top notch and good backup support. THe deal is the same anywhere you go, but no tax from them.

The only draw back from the Ticket is that at 1pm, there are too many games on. I found I was always switching from one game to another to another to another to another, so I never really got into the rythm of any game. It seemed like I would watch the Bills offense to see if Moulds caught anything, then when they got stopped I would switch over and watch to see if Priest could punch it in, and then switch over to see if Curtis Martin was in getting goal line carries, and then see if yada, yada, yada. By the time you settle into a groove, all the games are starting the 4th quarter and you try to pick a close game to watch.If your a Panthers fan living in San Francisco, sure the ticket is a great way to watch all their games, but if you're only interested in players (like many of us FFers are) you can get that ADD feeling. :shock: It's kind of as if God spoke to you in a dream one night and said he could give your wife 10 beautiful, perky breasts. So you think, "Sure, that sounds friggin' awesome." And then you realize you only have 2 hands. :P :bag:
Yeah but each set is different!It only takes me about half a quarter to get in rhythm, but I've been doing it over 10 years. You'll get better.And while its true you don;t necessarily get into the rhythm of a single game, getting into that multi-game rhythm is pretty sweet. I find it almost impossible to watch Sunday and Monday night football now. Whotf need to watch them mill around and huddlr. THere's probably only about 8-10 minutes of real action in each game.

Users who are viewing this thread