What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Superbowl WR with a Mismatch Advantage? (1 Viewer)

Sol D

Footballguy
In the Superbowl do you see any of the WR with an advantage i.e. Jurevicius height, Randle-El speed, that their team can exploit?Also which WR do you believe will have the best game and why?I could see one of the Steelers WR other than Ward having a nice game. If Seattle tries to do to Ward what they did to Steve Smith they could get burned because Pitt has better 2nd, 3rd and 4th options then the Panthers.

Well considering that Ward is not nearly as lethal as Smith, the secondary won't key on him solely.My guess is that Jackson goes off on the suspect Pitt secondary.

Well considering that Ward is not nearly as lethal as Smith, the secondary won't key on him solely.

My guess is that Jackson goes off on the suspect Pitt secondary.
The same suspect secondary that Harrison, Wayne, CJ, and Rod Smith went off on? OK.

Well considering that Ward is not nearly as lethal as Smith, the secondary won't key on him solely.

your avatar backs that statement up....cause that suspect D only gave up 18 and 17 in back to back games to the number 1 and 2 seeds in the AFC....I wouldnt call that suspect

The same suspect secondary that Harrison, Wayne, CJ, and Rod Smith went off on? OK.
The same Jackson that has had 15 receptions, 218 yards and 2 TDs in the two playoff games against two passing defenses that are both ranked higher than Pittsburgh's.

The same Jackson that has had 15 receptions, 218 yards and 2 TDs in the two playoff games against two passing defenses that are both ranked higher than Pittsburgh's.
Nobody said Jackson was suspect. However, if you want to rely on pass defense rankings, feel free: it's one of those nice misleading things for people who don't understand the game. When you're ahead and teams can't run on you, they have to pass. Therefore, they'll put up some yards. When you're behind, teams don't pass on you. Quick, name the top 4 ranked "passing defenses" in the league in 2005. .

Answer: Green Bay, the Jets, New Orleans and Cleveland. Now, tell me how important pass defense ranking is.

Nobody said Jackson was suspect. However, if you want to rely on pass defense rankings, feel free: it's one of those nice misleading things for people who don't understand the game. When you're ahead and teams can't run on you, they have to pass. Therefore, they'll put up some yards. When you're behind, teams don't pass on you. Quick, name the top 4 ranked "passing defenses" in the league in 2005. .

Answer: Green Bay, the Jets, New Orleans and Cleveland. Now, tell me how important pass defense ranking is.
Agreed....DJax is a great WR but i would not put his matchup against any DB he will be facing this sunday as a "mismatch" .....

Joe J vs. the Steelers #3 CB.
mcfadden shut down wayne vs. indy -- i look for him to do the same this weekwatch out for nate washington in 4 reciever sets, the guy was off the hook in pre-season, and had a timely catch in last game.

Cedric Wilson. Remember the name. The "Hawks" won't forget him when all is said and done.
Wilson's been having a very good playoff run already, I'm guessing they already know the name.It will come down to which of the 2 Seattle focuses less on - Randle El or Wilson. He'll have a big game and win it for Pitt.

Of course, the winning play just might involve them both. ;)

I never was a defensive minded guy in football so my insight is just what i see from teams.....but with the ground troyP. covers.... i don't see any real opportunity that teams can get a good matchupthe fact that his nose is so good for the ball and his instincts seems to be one step ahead it seems like wherever that ball is going ....he is in the vicinity of it....almost like a permanant double team...but like i said...I am no expert....thats just what i see..

If you don't even know the name of the Steelers #3 CB (Bryant McFadden) how can you say it is a mismatch?
whether its willie williams, ricardo colclough, or tim mckyer, its a mismatch.
I actually thought it was Williams or Colclough, but I like his chances against McFadden. All of them are under 6' so I don't see how it couldn't be a mismatch.

Last edited by a moderator:

your avatar backs that statement up....cause that suspect D only gave up 18 and 17 in back to back games to the number 1 and 2 seeds in the AFC....I wouldnt call that suspect
Big difference between "suspect D" and "suspect secondary"... big difference. A lot of rhetoric that Seattle hasn't really played anybody... but take a look at the Pitts secondary....the PITTSBURGH PASS RUSH HAS BEEN the key to all that pass D success. From what I saw in the AFC Championship was Jake thread the Pitt secondary for BIG gains, once he got used to running for 3 quarters... something Manning can't do. Give props to the DL and LB corps... and Cowher/LeBeau for a bandaid around that secondary.1. The pressure on Manning was TREMENDOUS (and Manning, though he shouldn't of said it, was spot on... the o-line was a sive). No need for the secondary to really even be tested.

2. Jake, who can at least scramble, was running alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll game. But because Jake has some scramble... he still threaded Pitts a bit. Those were dumb INTs. Interesting looking at the play-by-play, he for a long stretch was targeting Anderson and Putzier, via no time to throw. I saw it, but recall what Denver did on the drive that was 70+ total passing yards to Rod and Lelie. The next drive, after the dumb INT, he hit Lelie for 40 yards, then a TD a few plays later. The WRs averaged 20+ yards a catch.

3. Cinncy, don't care what you say, Kitna with 16 weeks on the bench and different style QB was no Carson Palmer. But the WRs managed 16 a catch.

4. Joey Harrington in week 17

5. Charlie Frye in week 16.

6. 15 was BJ and cruise-gate coming to a climax (no pun) in 15. BJ was harrased, tip passed INT on one, and although late a safety. Again the pass rush. Prolly a good secondary effort here... but Minny was a mediocre pass team in '05

7. Kyle Orten in 14.

8. 13... Palmer @ Pitts, 3 TDs... and only 1 sack.

9. Peyton, post Ben injury

10. Kyle Boller

11. Palmer in Cin... Steelers win... Palmer 0 TDs and 2 INTs.

I will say Hutch, Jones and Tobeck are better than the Indy and Denver o-lines. That's the key... giving Hass time to thread that UNTESTED secondary... esp. 6'5" JJ in the red zone.

If you don't even know the name of the Steelers #3 CB (Bryant McFadden) how can you say it is a mismatch?
I actually thought it was Williams or Colclough, but I like his chances against McFadden. All of them are under 6' so I don't see how it couldn't be a mismatch.
Willie Williams has not played for weeks on end, Ricardo Colclough is the #4 man/kick off returner, McFadden has been the main cog on 3 reciever formations, with Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend as #1 and #2 CB respectively

Willie Williams has not played for weeks on end, Ricardo Colclough is the #4 man/kick off returner, McFadden has been the main cog on 3 reciever formations, with Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend as #1 and #2 CB respectively
How about if Jurevicius lines up against Townsend and Engram against McFadden? JJ has a huge height advantage over Townsend and the experienced Engram against a rookie.

How about if Jurevicius lines up against Townsend and Engram against McFadden? JJ has a huge height advantage over Townsend and the experienced Engram against a rookie.
It will be interesting to watch although remember that the Steelers beat both Indy and the Bengals (twice) with receiving corps that just about everyone would agree is better than Seattle's.

Well, i think that if Townsend were to be lined up againt Jurevicius, i would take Jurevicius. At times during the season and in the playoffs Deshea has let up some BIG plays (T.Housmanzadeh) and gave up some TDs as well. Jurevicius is tenacious within 20 yds of the endzone, so that may be a scary matchup, but im glad that Engram is #2 and thats who Deshea is facing, with is a better matchup for engram is a shifty, but undersized reciever. McFadden should not have too much trouble vs. Jurevicius, who is more of a possesion reciever who wont make McFadden miss as much as a faster player would. This is also why im glad that a veteran CB is covering Engram, for Deshea will not be fooled as much as rookie McFadden would be if the roles were reversed.The one concern I have for a Steeler fan's prospective is #4 DJ Hackett vs. Ricardo Colclough, who is prone to make mistakes, Hackett is a quick reciever who has a size advantage over him, which the shiftyness to juke him out.

Overall, I like the Steelers pass coverage vs. Seahawks pass attack. Denver, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati all heralded for solid offensive lines got manhandled vs. Steelers D. Yes, I give SEA's left side of the offensive line their credit, they awesome, what about the right?

Thanks for your thoughts. Some interesting stuff to look for on Sunday. With both run defenses so tough the ability to pass and turnovers could be the difference.

I have to laugh at the "suspect secondary" comments. Polamalu is arguably the best safety in the game and Ike Taylor has become one of the best cover corners in the league, just ask Chad Johnson. Throw in Hope, Townsend, McFadden, Carter and Colclough and you have a pretty good secondary. This isn't 2003 folks.

I have to laugh at the "suspect secondary" comments. Polamalu is arguably the best safety in the game and Ike Taylor has become one of the best cover corners in the league, just ask Chad Johnson. Throw in Hope, Townsend, McFadden, Carter and Colclough and you have a pretty good secondary. This isn't 2003 folks.
I don't think half these people have ever seen a Steeler game before, they keep regurgitating the same old stuff they heard on ESPN a year or two ago.

I don't think half these people have ever seen a Steeler game before, they keep regurgitating the same old stuff they heard on ESPN a year or two ago.
Only fridayfrenzy claimed the secondary was suspect. It certainly isn't but the corners are the weakest point in the defense - again, relative to the greatness of the run defense. They are very good, but far from unbeatable.

I have to laugh at the "suspect secondary" comments.  Polamalu is arguably the best safety in the game and Ike Taylor has become one of the best cover corners in the league, just ask Chad Johnson.  Throw in Hope, Townsend, McFadden, Carter and Colclough and you have a pretty good secondary.  This isn't 2003 folks.
Only fridayfrenzy claimed the secondary was suspect. It certainly isn't but the corners are the weakest point in the defense - again, relative to the greatness of the run defense. They are very good, but far from unbeatable.
This, I can agree with. If you want to say the secondary isn't as strong as the front 7, that's fine. If you want to say the secondary is "suspect," you really haven't watched much of the Steelers this year. They're very fast, and they're very physical.

As for Darrell Jackson, he's a great receiver who's going to have a tough matchup with Ike Taylor.

Big difference between "suspect D" and "suspect secondary"... big difference. A lot of rhetoric that Seattle hasn't really played anybody... but take a look at the Pitts secondary....the PITTSBURGH PASS RUSH HAS BEEN the key to all that pass D success. From what I saw in the AFC Championship was Jake thread the Pitt secondary for BIG gains, once he got used to running for 3 quarters... something Manning can't do. Give props to the DL and LB corps... and Cowher/LeBeau for a bandaid around that secondary.

I will say Hutch, Jones and Tobeck are better than the Indy and Denver o-lines. That's the key... giving Hass time to thread that UNTESTED secondary... esp. 6'5" JJ in the red zone.
You're kidding right? First, you can't say "let's separate the D-Line and the secondary." They work together, as a unit. Any QB can pass on a defense if there isn't a pass rush. DBs can't cover receivers forever, so if a QB can just sit in the pocket, unpressured, he will eventually find the open receiver.As for your comment that Jake was able to thread the Pitt secondary. He had TWO passes over 20 yards. Both came on one drive that started with about 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. So, after Pittsburgh had beaten up on the Broncos for almost 40 minutes, run the lead up to 24-3, and forced Denver to abandon the run and become a one-dimensional team, you are going to use two (the only 2) long passes as support for your claim that the Pittsburgh secondary is "suspect?" If it was suspect, why didn't he make more long passes, earlier in the game? BECAUSE HE COULDN'T!

And as for your claim that Seattle's O-line is better than Indy and Denver's (& I'll throw in Cincy's for good measure), the top three offenses for least amount of sacks allowed in the regular season were:

Indy-20 sacks allowed (95 yards lost)

Cincy-21 sacks allowed (115 yards lost)

Denver-23 sacks allowed (146 yards lost)

For the record,

Seattle-27 sacks allowed (174 yards lost)

Pittsburgh has beaten up on 3 offensive lines that are better than Seattle's, so there is little reason to believe that their D-line will suddenly be held in check on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread