What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Supreme Court weighs union fees for teachers: Is it a matter of free s (1 Viewer)

SIDA! said:
Out of likes, Koya...but I appreciate you sharing your viewpoint. It is quite possible my memory was bad (spent a few years away from here and lost track of who was what) or that I was too close minded in the past and had painted you with a broad brush.

I know that when I read your posts in the future I will be looking at them a little differently.
Thanks SIDA... I would say that in todays climate, and that of the last 10-15 years already (Bush on), I probably yell most loudly on issues associated with the left because they resonate so much with my love of freedom for all. Civil rights, gay marriage and all.

I've always been a fiscal conservative at heart, but with a heart in that I am willing to give of my paycheck to help others (but not fund gov't waste... aye, there's the rub), and with the knowledge that investing in the right programs may not only be the moral thing to do, but a wise investment.

I had been more supportive of broader gun rights in the past, and still strongly believe in the 2nd amendment, but have been so turned off by the extreme and take no prisoners approach of the right, it's pushed me much further left. Obviously the machine guns for everyone theory has NOT worked, so time to look at some other options for the good of the nation.

Loan Sharks said:
I don't understand how unions work if some people don't join. So I go to work for xyz company and they have a union that negotiates better wages, health insurance, and other benefits, but I don't join and receive the same as union employees? How can that work?
Maybe they can just represent the people that join? The other's that don't join can negotiate for themselves.
No, the others can't negotiate anything. I paid into the Union for about seven years. I believe, you'd get the same benefits, but they wouldn't represent you or stand up for you if you were fired or disciplined. I wouldn't bet on my life that, but I think that's the basics. You certainly could not negotiate anything. That would defeat the purpose of the Union.
How would someone not in the Union being able to negotiate for themselves while not getting Union representation defeat the purpose of the Union?
The purpose of the Union is to collect money, anyone refusing to do so is defeating their purpose.
Touche.

coincidentally with my post to SIDA, that's my biggest issue with "bigger" gov't in general... in theory it may sound logical,but once you create "something" then rule #1 for that group/organization is to survive and get more $$ for their coffers, even at the expense of the mission they were created to pursue.

Ministry of Pain said:
At the risk of getting a rant: MOP, you don't teach math, do you?

I seem to remember something about pizzas in years past ;)
As I said, I am nothing special.

Middle school math mainly consists of 5 categories for 6th and 7th...ratios and proportions, geometry, statistics/probability, integers/number system, and expressions/equations.

I also teach Pre-Alg, Alg I, and I can teach Geometry if need be but would prefer not to.

My class is a lot of motivation. I am the culture change you read about. No negative talk, none of this "I can't" and I also teach things that are not math related which irritates the hell out of administration, go figure.

My students are simply motivated, it's a lot of high energy in the class and a lot of stations so the more independent ones are moving around and I can work in smaller groups with the ones that are behind. Students that are behind tend to act up and disrupt others that don't need all that much teaching as they do a safe learning environment which I provide. My remedial group starts off close to half the class and by Christmas we usually have that down to about 2-3 per class that truly have a mental block or something on math.

If I showed you the results some of you would pass out because I know you think I would fail at this. Of course they went thru 4-5 teachers last year and scored 0% passing across the board, there was no way I was going to fail at this. It wasn't that hard to get hired when I interviewed, most teachers would run but I saw opp. I knew those students hated the teachers and were not trying. I have worked hard to gain their trust and acceptance, once we had that it was like running downhill. When you see that look that a kid gets in their eyes as they discover they have the power from within to do the work and excel in life, there is no greater reward, NONE NONE NONE.

These Title I students have been told for most of their lives they are no good and to accept their fate as victims in this world. BullSpit! Or as my kids say "BullHonkey!" That's another the admin is not happy with me about. I created a word list of obscenities where they can still feel like they are expressing themselves but not going to get a detention. BullHonkey is by far these predominantly black students favorite cuss word in my class.

I'm sure you didn't want to know all that :P
I was actually :pokey: for a rant, dammit

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ministry of Pain said:
My class is a lot of motivation. I am the culture change you read about. No negative talk, none of this "I can't" and I also teach things that are not math related which irritates the hell out of administration, go figure.
Like what?

Weird that everyone in the FFA loves Bernie but hates unions.
I kind of like Bernie even though I mostly dislike policies supported by unions.

Much of why I kind of like Bernie has nothing to do with his ideology, pro-union or otherwise. I think Bernie has shown the intelligence to analyze difficult issues competently, and the principles to do what he thinks is right regardless of political expediency. Especially on foreign policy, many of his public statements from a decade or two ago have seemed, in hindsight, well reasoned and prescient.

On domestic issues, I think he's paying attention to the right kinds of things. Income inequality looks like a real problem, or at the very least, a potential future problem (with poverty being a current problem). I disagree with him on specific solutions (I'd much prefer a basic income guarantee to a minimum-wage increase, for example, and I think intellectual property reform might be more important to this topic than anything I hear Sanders proposing), but those are details to be worked out down the line. I think Sanders is great on criminal justice reform. He's better than the realistic alternatives on marijuana policy and the war on drugs. He seems willing to listen to experts on scientific matters like climate change (though that may be true only when the experts align with his own ideology -- he seems to go against the experts on things like international trade).

In any case, there are plenty of things I disagree with him about, most of which -- perhaps not coincidentally -- are precisely the things that unions take strong positions on.

But there's plenty to like as well. Some of it involving policy, but perhaps more of it just involving personal traits like intelligence, thoughtfulness, and character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loan Sharks said:
The purpose of the Union is to collect money, anyone refusing to do so is defeating their purpose.
Do you think my current teaching salary and benefits would be better or worse if my union didn't exist?
I would need more information to answer this. For example,do you work for a private or public school, are you in a union now, what are your benefits no, do you suck as a teacher and are you a competent negotiator.

But now that I think about it. Your simplistic post is a pretty strong indicator that you aren't real good with complex problems and probably should have someone make important decisions for you for a fee. So I am going to go with if you didn't pay someone to help you get you salary and benefits you would probably be way worse off.

Ministry of Pain said:
Like what?
I am going to go with sex and drivers ed, most likely at the same time.

Many of us like Bernie because he is bringing up a discussion that is LONG overdo. A number of them really, including income equality (or lack thereof), the growing discord between the electorate and the elected, in large part due to huge corporate influence on both parties.

I just don't see anyone else talking about the real, substantive, historic trajectory type stuff and for that I admire Bernie and feel it is a necessary, albeit difficult, discussion we need to participate in.

Loan Sharks said:
Your simplistic post is a pretty strong indicator that you aren't real good with complex problems and probably should have someone make important decisions for you for a fee. So I am going to go with if you didn't pay someone to help you get you salary and benefits you would probably be way worse off.
Zing! That wasn't very nice.

Koya said:
Many of us like Bernie because he is bringing up a discussion that is LONG overdo. A number of them really, including income equality (or lack thereof), the growing discord between the electorate and the elected, in large part due to huge corporate influence on both parties.

I just don't see anyone else talking about the real, substantive, historic trajectory type stuff and for that I admire Bernie and feel it is a necessary, albeit difficult, discussion we need to participate in.
Income equality is a political, not a real issue. And depending on how closely you associate income redistribution to communism and marxism that discussion has already happened and been definitively debunked.

Bernie is a politician who is alleging that market capitalism has failed because the "gap" is widening. The fact is that capitalism has hugely raised the standard of living for everyone on the planet that it has touched and is on a killer win streak. Capitalist systems as it stands in absolute terms is mans greatest success at reducing poverty, period.

Bernie, anti capitalists and communists are using the true statement about a contrived widening wealth gap, as a sky is falling battle cry to gain political power.

Why has the gap widened? It's due to rich peoples greed of course....or the fact the the wealthiest Americans who cornered the market in the US have seen unprecedented technology and burgeoning world markets in the last 30 years explode. You know who's income goes up faster when China opens it doors? A rich guy who invests, sells and is exposed to fresh new markets, or a guy who repairs cars or an accountant.

Bernie is a economic hack. Sorry.

Loan Sharks said:
Your simplistic post is a pretty strong indicator that you aren't real good with complex problems and probably should have someone make important decisions for you for a fee. So I am going to go with if you didn't pay someone to help you get you salary and benefits you would probably be way worse off.
I know I apologize, I didn't get much sleep last night and every single interaction with a union I have had has been unpleasant.

Loan Sharks said:
I know I apologize, I didn't get much sleep last night and every single interaction with a union I have had has been unpleasant.
Hope you feel better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread