What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 46 - Finale - Up Next: Survivor Forty Several (3 Viewers)

Dee actually told Austin, after voting out Drew, that she was worried he'd be upset that she saved her #1 (Julie) but then went behind his back to take out his #1 (Drew) and he still didn't clue in :doh:

Double :doh::doh: to Julie for saying at final five "it's too soon to vote out Dee, I'd rather be rid of Jake. We can get Dee out tomorrow." Uh... Julie... it's the last vote, after this the only elimination is the fire challenge. What the hell was she thinking??? Made zero sense.
Julie was almost as bad a strategic player as Katurah. More on that in a minute.

This season was entertaining to watch but frustrating at times. The interactions between the cast members were great. The strategy was some of the worst we have seen in a long time. Had this season had 60-minute episodes, it would have been borderline unwatchable, like Ghost Island was. The episodes would have been heavy on twists and strategy, but the strategy was bad and everyone except Jake laid down for the Reba 4 just like everyone laid down for Dom and Wendell in Ghost Island. And the episodes would have been light on the character moments and conflicts that made the season entertaining. It would have been a slog, especially in the postmerge. Having the episodes be 90 minutes made a huge difference and I hope they stay that way.

The F5 vote will be discussed for a long time as a case of how not to play Survivor after Borneo. And it was only possible because the Reba alliance was so strong, and the other players so weak, that they were never really challenged. All five people played completely independently of each other. It's wild to see that after 45 seasons.

Dee was the glue that held the Reba 4 together and was so bonded to both Julie and Austin that she couldn't conceive of voting against either of them, and thought she could have beaten them both at FTC. (And she may have been right given how the F7 and F6 votes went down.) Since she knew Jake had an idol, the only option in her mind was to vote for Katurah. Her saying she thought Katurah was a jury threat may have just been rationalization on her part, because we certainly didn't see that in the edit. It could also be bad editing.

Austin was immune, was never going to vote against Dee, and knew that Julie was the biggest jury threat who wasn't Dee (and would likely beat him at FTC), so his vote made sense. We'll never know if he would have voted against Dee if they weren't in a showmance.

Jake was entertaining but had a major case of big-move-itis. It's understandable because he was on the outs since the Kaleb vote, but part of that was because he failed to get people to trust him, which manifested itself at this vote by Katurah ditching his plan at the last minute because she didn't trust him. His withholding the info that he was going to play his idol on her showed that he was too focused on making a flashy move and not focused enough on building the relationships that actually win you the game most seasons. He's the most likely from this cast to get a return appearance because Probst LOVES players with big-move-itis, especially if they also have an underdog story.

This vote showed that Julie was a pretty terrible strategic player. She voted Jake, who had little chance of winning, because she was still obsessed with avenging his vote against her at the Kaleb boot, even though she was told he had an idol. That's Rupert-level gameplay. She couldn't conceive of voting against Dee and couldn't vote against Austin, but a vote for Dee would have saved her and a vote for Katurah might have if Jake could have been convinced he was the target and should play his idol on himself.

Katurah's vote made no sense, like most things she did in this game. She went against her own advice -- she needed both Dee and Julie out before F3 to have a chance, and she knew Dee was more likely to win FIC, but she voted Julie because she didn't trust Jake. It was funny how she voted Julie, which was originally Jake's idea, and he voted Dee, which was originally Katurah's idea. Her confessionals were entertaining and her backstory was compelling, but I question whether it was a good idea to allow her on the show. It's clear she still has a lot of trauma from her cult years, which manifests itself as trust issues, especially with men. (I said earlier in this thread that I wouldn't be surprised if her visceral reaction to Bruce was because he reminded her of the cult leader(s) that traumatized her.)

I did find it amusing that a game which featured almost all unanimous votes (and a couple of split votes that literally everyone was in on, including the splittee), we had the complete opposite of that at F5 (four different people getting votes at the same tribal is very rare, and unheard of when there are five players left) and the first non-7-1-0 vote at FTC in the new era.

As is her custom, Sia has given money to her favorite players from this season: 100K to Katurah, 15K to Jake and 15K to Kaleb.

Katurah I just don’t get. She blames Jake for not saying he would play the idol on her, but if she doesn’t even trust that Jake will write down Dee’s name, why would she trust that he’ll use the idol on her? I felt bad for Jake being deprived of one big move. Shame that he was fully reliant on a flake.

One last observation Katurah seemed more concerned with hiding the fact she was a lawyer, instead of just playing the game. Also a bit annoying we know who the lawyers are but not what other people do. I get they put like Kelly's a nurse etc..but noone gives a crap except for the lawyers. Hopefully next season has no lawyers done with that.

Katurah I just don’t get. She blames Jake for not saying he would play the idol on her, but if she doesn’t even trust that Jake will write down Dee’s name, why would she trust that he’ll use the idol on her? I felt bad for Jake being deprived of one big move. Shame that he was fully reliant on a flake.
(y)
Jake was absolutely right not to tell her. She would have flipped that on him in a second. And she's still trying to blame Jake, saying that she just knew something was up so she couldn't trust Jake and that's why she made the dumb vote she did.

(y)
Jake was absolutely right not to tell her. She would have flipped that on him in a second. And she's still trying to blame Jake, saying that she just knew something was up so she couldn't trust Jake and that's why she made the dumb vote she did.
Yup. She’s just one of those types where it’s someone else to blame for her own mistakes.

I was a little surprised Jake’s final tribal pitch wasn’t “Look, Dee would not even be sitting here if Katurah was not such an absolute dingbat.”

One last observation Katurah seemed more concerned with hiding the fact she was a lawyer, instead of just playing the game. Also a bit annoying we know who the lawyers are but not what other people do. I get they put like Kelly's a nurse etc..but noone gives a crap except for the lawyers. Hopefully next season has no lawyers done with that.
I believe S46 has a law student but no actual lawyers.

(y)
Yup. She’s just one of those types where it’s someone else to blame for her own mistakes.

I was a little surprised Jake’s final tribal pitch wasn’t “Look, Dee would not even be sitting here if Katurah was not such an absolute dingbat.”
And she was at least initially down with voting off Jake, which would have left her and the 3 Rebas. What would the plan have been then? You're not winning the final immunity challenge, no matter what it is, that much is abundantly clear. If Julie or Austin wins, they're taking Dee. If Dee wins she's taking one of those two. And you can't make fire. How are you getting to final 3? Maybe voting Jake was an act but it didn't seem like it. Nothing about Katurah's game made a bit of sense.

The only thing this country has more of than lawyers is real estate agents, and most of those I’ve met couldn’t hack it on Survivor.

(y)
I agree. If Jake told Katurah he was playing his idol for her, she would have run to Dee and told her and Jake would have been voted out.
I don't think Dee won the season because she was such a great player, I think she won because the other players were so bad. Katurah finally figures out Dee and Austin are a power couple at final 5.
Julie and Austin are both told they are Dee's #1 and Dee tells each of them she can't vote out the other because they're her #1. You can't have two number ones, so one of them should have tried to take Dee out.
Austin fell for Dee's lie that she didn't tell Julie to play the idol. Drew tried to point out to Austin that there was no other way Julie could have found out their plan and he just wouldn't listen. Dee votes out Austin's #1 Drew and he still just goes along with whatever she wants to do. I can't figure out how he didn't play his idol for Drew and save him.

Jake tried to make plays, he just couldn't get anybody to follow his lead. Every alliance seemed to see him as the easy vote out, but yet he made it to the final 3.

(y)
I agree. If Jake told Katurah he was playing his idol for her, she would have run to Dee and told her and Jake would have been voted out.
I don't think Dee won the season because she was such a great player, I think she won because the other players were so bad. Katurah finally figures out Dee and Austin are a power couple at final 5.
Julie and Austin are both told they are Dee's #1 and Dee tells each of them she can't vote out the other because they're her #1. You can't have two number ones, so one of them should have tried to take Dee out.
Austin fell for Dee's lie that she didn't tell Julie to play the idol. Drew tried to point out to Austin that there was no other way Julie could have found out their plan and he just wouldn't listen. Dee votes out Austin's #1 Drew and he still just goes along with whatever she wants to do. I can't figure out how he didn't play his idol for Drew and save him.

Jake tried to make plays, he just couldn't get anybody to follow his lead. Every alliance seemed to see him as the easy vote out, but yet he made it to the final 3.
I always saw Jake as the obvious drag along to the final three. I know people tried to vote him out but the fact that he survived by accident made him even more obvious as the final three schmuck.

(y)

I always saw Jake as the obvious drag along to the final three. I know people tried to vote him out but the fact that he survived by accident made him even more obvious as the final three schmuck.
Actually I think the outcome of the firemaking challenge didn't matter. I don't think Katurah would have got any votes either.

A lot of us have discussed how baffled we are that so many players can't keep their mouths shut.

For Survivor 46, they cast someone who agrees with us.

Tiffany Nicole Ervin: I don't think this is a hot take, because I doubt I'm the only person that feels this way. But I don't know why people just don't know how to shut the [expletive] up. Why do you feel that when you get an advantage or an idol that you have to tell somebody? Time and time again, Survivor history has proven to us that revealing your advantages is a poor decision for gaining trust. All they're gonna do is use that as a bargaining chip to gain trust with somebody else. Shut your a$$ up!

Season 46 kicks off Wednesday, here's a cast preview:

Do you think Soda was named after the Seinfeld bit?
That would be funny, but probably not. Her full name is Sodasia.

I have a hard time seeing any of these people winning, but one of them has to. My tentative winner pick is Tim because I get some Wendell vibes and some Jeremy vibes from him, but he's on what could be the "disaster" tribe.

I have a hard time seeing any of these people winning, but one of them has to. My tentative winner pick is Tim because I get some Wendell vibes and some Jeremy vibes from him, but he's on what could be the "disaster" tribe.

Yeah hearing complaints other places online that this cast is weak. US casting seems to want certain personalities and wanna-be influencers (harking back to the 'mactor' days of yore).

Yeah hearing complaints other places online that this cast is weak. US casting seems to want certain personalities and wanna-be influencers (harking back to the 'mactor' days of yore).
Almost everyone has a "I overcame a bad childhood or other previous experience" story. That could get really grating if it is focused on too much in the episodes. Hopefully it won't be. In contrast to 41 thru 43, 45 mercifully didn't overdo it with the backstories despite having longer episodes -- and that made Katurah's insane cult story more impactful.

Woof. "Probst preaches about the monster in the game. Jalinsky is the monster. Jalinsky is a legend!" - Jalinsky

Boy you could see that one coming a mile away, except poor Jess' brain just kept misfiring. I felt really bad for her. The self delusion Jalinsky showed at every turn was astounding.

People I really liked from the opener:

• Q - Hard worker, straight forward guy.
  • Bhanu - Loved his energy and attitude
  • Tiffany - Found the beware advantage and wasn't afraid, worked hard to get the idol. Did not love that she had to share the knowledge of the existence of course
  • Ben - Fun vibes, won't last long
  • Charlie - Dumb vibes, but also fun, and also won't last long
  • Soda - Great around camp, and the sodar is on point
  • Tevin - Another high energy person who looks like a player
  • I think her name is Maria, she was the parent coach. Seemed very calm and in control. I think she coined Charlie's Angels when discussing bringing Charlie in (which I fully expect to happen and then have him summarily dismissed). She also got Jalinsky to fold really quickly at the getaway thing (I think that was her).

People I didn't like:
  • Jalinsky, couldn't stand his lack of self awareness
  • The girl who bragged about the businesses she started and sold. Also I can't remember if she was the one who said "I can't eat anything because I'm allergic to everything." She won't last and took a spot from someone who could have stayed longer.

Everyone else I think there's just not enough information on. Venus I was slightly leaning negative, but then I laughed when she said "How dare you assume I was being sneaky. I mean you were right, but how dare you!" . I don't think she'll last long.

People I felt bad for:
  • Jess first and foremost. Sometimes you need to know your limitations. If you have that many issues, perhaps Survivor isn't for you. I wonder if she'll be a redemption angle though.
  • Can't remember his name so I'll call him Opie. He was the camp counselor who hated camp songs. He seems nice, but it seems apparent he is a fish swimming upstream and is probably in for some awkward moments.
I just love Survivor. People will come to a conclusion pretty quickly about "great season" or "terrible season" but even in the off seasons I find enjoyment in most episodes.

yeah, Zelinisky was an all-timer Survivor loser. I thought the guy that got caught in the net on the first episode last year was bad. This kid was that bad and didn't even realize it. Just absolutely brutal

A few interesting potential characters for sure, but as usual in recent seasons....they've stacked the group with multiple goofy weirdos who have absolutely zero business being out there. But they'll probably cry and freakout at some point, so..."good TV"?

Between Jablonsky's fixation on "several" somehow meaning 7 and the presence of someone named "Soda"....very Costanza-centric episode.

Very glad he got voted out. His voice was worse then fingernails on a chalkboard.
And yea, might the worse ever spinning tales.
"I never quit.... Well except those two times.. But other than that I don't quit"
Even Jeff was having a hard time not :lol: at him.

Very glad he got voted out. His voice was worse then fingernails on a chalkboard.
And yea, might the worse ever spinning tales.
"I never quit.... Well except those two times.. But other than that I don't quit"
Even Jeff was having a hard time not :lol: at him.
Did like the last second distraction at tribal. Though for a second Jess was going to talk herself out of the game.

Legend!

Best opening round exit, ever. I will say that he was still miles ahead (athletically) of last year’s guy who should have been gone first but some lady decided to quit day 1. Could you imagine if the can’t get up a ladder guy was doing that bucket challenge with Q? How many bucket rounds does he make before blacking out? 3, maybe 4?

I was thinking Jess was going to crack and quit. Seems like an interesting group but it does feel like there are a lot of have no chance to win people. More than usual.

A lot of us have discussed how baffled we are that so many players can't keep their mouths shut.

For Survivor 46, they cast someone who agrees with us.

Tiffany Nicole Ervin: I don't think this is a hot take, because I doubt I'm the only person that feels this way. But I don't know why people just don't know how to shut the [expletive] up. Why do you feel that when you get an advantage or an idol that you have to tell somebody? Time and time again, Survivor history has proven to us that revealing your advantages is a poor decision for gaining trust. All they're gonna do is use that as a bargaining chip to gain trust with somebody else. Shut your a$$ up!

And what was the first thing she did when she found the Beware Advantage? Shared it with Kenzie. Argh.

Still love her, though.

Legend!

Best opening round exit, ever. I will say that he was still miles ahead (athletically) of last year’s guy who should have been gone first but some lady decided to quit day 1. Could you imagine if the can’t get up a ladder guy was doing that bucket challenge with Q? How many bucket rounds does he make before blacking out? 3, maybe 4?

I was thinking Jess was going to crack and quit. Seems like an interesting group but it does feel like there are a lot of have no chance to win people. More than usual.
Ladder guy (Brandon) had enough self-awareness to know he could never do the sweat challenge. Unlike Jelinsky.

Legend!

Ladder guy (Brandon) had enough self-awareness to know he could never do the sweat challenge. Unlike Jelinsky.
Agreed. Just picturing him starting a sweat challenge made me laugh inside.

I think Jelinsky’s best scene was actually the puzzle. I was dying when all he was doing was picking up random pieces and handing them to Jess.

Legend!

I think Jelinsky’s best scene was actually the puzzle. I was dying when all he was doing was picking up random pieces and handing them to Jess.
We watched the episode last night and I told my wife that I do not remember a player as confident as “J” tried to be (volunteered for at least three major things - the sweat challenge, the gathering information meeting and the puzzle in the final challenge) that was as awful as he ended up being.

Legend!

By the way, question for everyone. What do you think Q would have done if ladder boy had curled into his fetal position (damn that was so funny on the boat) on the sweat challenge?

• Can't remember his name so I'll call him Opie. He was the camp counselor who hated camp songs. He seems nice, but it seems apparent he is a fish swimming upstream and is probably in for some awkward moments.
I liked this guy. Simply from the point of him not liking the camp songs. My kind of attitude.
I told my wife this is why I would never get selected (no I would never apply) for this show or to be on the stage on most of the game shows on TV.
When they first tell you your tribe name everyone is "woo hoo" and "yes!" ... I would be like "ok, sure" :shrug:

I liked this guy. Simply from the point of him not liking the camp songs. My kind of attitude.
I told my wife this is why I would never get selected (no I would never apply) for this show or to be on the stage on most of the game shows on TV.
When they first tell you your tribe name everyone is "woo hoo" and "yes!" ... I would be like "ok, sure" :shrug:
His name is Hunter. Showing self-awareness of your weaknesses and realizing you have to mitigate them is a good sign.

And yes, they tend to cast people who are over-the-top enthusiastic about everything. They probably cast Hunter because he builds Survivor-style challenges and runs a Survivor-style game for his students, so he's over-the-top enthusiastic but has a different way of showing it.

His name is Hunter. Showing self-awareness of your weaknesses and realizing you have to mitigate them is a good sign.

And yes, they tend to cast people who are over-the-top enthusiastic about everything. They probably cast Hunter because he builds Survivor-style challenges and runs a Survivor-style game for his students, so he's over-the-top enthusiastic but has a different way of showing it.
My wife, my youngest and I were picking people to start as our winners. We picked right away and then got to change before the end of the episode. My wife picked the curly haired dude in purple, legend, and then went Q. My son took the mom in green, I think. I had Tim in green but then switched to Tevin.

The reason why I’m replying to you is that Tevin befriended Hunter and I think Tevin will bring him along well. I think Tevin won’t be under the radar to us viewers but he seems to have really good self awareness and his “acting” seems decent. I liked that he said he was going to play parts as needed and when he went on the boat due to a coin flip (can’t remember what he did), his response was one of trepidation. I liked that, kind of acting the opposite of the legend which can be off putting.

The way he volunteered himself for every task without any capacity to judge his own ability, then saw the game from only his own perspective as being on top... For a few seconds I thought he was going to be the US answer to King George. But his complete lack of strategic tactics was too quickly apparent

Was the Bucket challenge even possible to complete?
I was thinking about that challenge and if it was it possible.

I wondered if you could put one bucket inside of the other bucket so the holes did not line up together and then that “one bucket” would hold close to full bucket. The two guys could then also alternate going back and forth and go at a faster pace.

Still don’t know if it would work in the time allotted as those were big pots to fill up.

Loved how he stacked all the pieces up in a pile for no apparent reason.

As for the challenges - I think they were meant to be nearly impossible - they were all given their stuff after the first immunity challenge anyway so they really lost like a day or two of having their stuff.

They didn't seem to have any plans to deal with the holes at all. Maybe they should have put one bucket into the other to slow the drainage?

The savvy challenge was just as impossible
You are going to circle the numbers and then realize that it is the leftover letters that matter and know to descramble them? Columbo level reasoning skills needed for that.

-QG

What's amazing about Jelinsky's meltdown is that he was in a MAJORITY ALLIANCE ON DAY 1, which people are going to want to stick with for at least one vote because the dynamics are so uncertain at that point, but he was such a disaster that his allies bailed on him by Day 3, keeping someone who can barely function mentally over him and replacing him with a hyperactive overemotional guy who will probably be no help as an ally come the merge.

Loved how he stacked all the pieces up in a pile for no apparent reason.

As for the challenges - I think they were meant to be nearly impossible - they were all given their stuff after the first immunity challenge anyway so they really lost like a day or two of having their stuff.

They didn't seem to have any plans to deal with the holes at all. Maybe they should have put one bucket into the other to slow the drainage?

The savvy challenge was just as impossible
You are going to circle the numbers and then realize that it is the leftover letters that matter and know to descramble them? Columbo level reasoning skills needed for that.

-QG
I’m a puzzle guy. The letters were in order which makes it easier. But still really hard. I doubt I’d have figured it out.

I dunno about him being in that alliance though. I don't think he was long for any partnership with Q after quitting on the strength task and that convo about a 4 person alliance was in a moment of convenience for Q to get aligned with the other 2 and swapping him out

-QG

I do think the woman who got the extra vote who had the torch card could have negotiated a better deal though. Pretty sure Jalensky would have agreed to let her raid his camp in exchange for immunity from her snitching on him.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread