What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Swedes Implanting Micro Chips In Their Bodies - Would You? (1 Viewer)

Micro Chips In Your Body - Would You Do This?

• Absolutely Yes

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Probably Yes

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Definitely Not

Votes: 29 38.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
This seems like the natural progression of things. Eventually it'll be your phone. 

Not much different I guess than what we've done with pets for years.

Would you do this?

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/658808705/thousands-of-swedes-are-inserting-microchips-under-their-skin

Technology continues to get closer and closer to our bodies, from the phones in our pockets to the smartwatches on our wrists. Now, for some people, it's getting under their skin.

In Sweden, a country rich with technological advancement, thousands have had microchips inserted into their hands.

The chips are designed to speed up users' daily routines and make their lives more convenient — accessing their homes, offices and gyms is as easy as swiping their hands against digital readers.

They also can be used to store emergency contact details, social media profiles or e-tickets for events and rail journeys within Sweden.

Proponents of the tiny chips say they're safe and largely protected from hacking, but one scientist is raising privacy concerns around the kind of personal health data that might be stored on the devices.

rest of article

Would you do this?

Voted probably yes - there's a ton of applications for it and I've gotten to the point that the Big Brother fear is beyond my concern - meaning, if they are going to do it, they'll do it whether I like it or not.

To me, the number one thing that seems like a no-brainer is for lost/kidnapped people.  To me, that alone makes this probably a worthy trade-off.

Didn't read full article.  What if a thief hacks off my hand?  Does the chip stop working, or do they have full access now?
That would be awesome if I had control of my brothers hand when we were younger..."stop hitting yourself!" ?

I would not, but it I had young kids I might chip them through high school.

I'm a definite no...but not going along with something like this if everyone else is will make life tough.

Last time I was in Sweden, I wanted to use the light rail. As an American, we swipe or chip-only. Swedes are chin-and-PIN. Wouldn't take cash. Eventually I said screw it and went and got dinner.

Every time I had to leave Long Island (before the pay-by-mail scheme), I was amazed at the folks willing to wait 30+ minutes at the Throg's Neck when EZPass was under a minute.

These items that are for convenience only at first quickly become more of a necessity as resources are removed from supporting the previous way of operating.
At some point, when everyone with a hand ID can get through airport security in 5 minutes and it takes someone with a passport 3 hours, I'll be getting a chip.

probable yes for me- would need to think more about privacy/hacking/health related issues- but I'm already out of shape and a hack architect, so two out of three are covered.

have long wanted to do this with our kids though.

This is just one more step to the government already knowing way too much about all of us and compromising our privacy. I would get the chip for the convenience and figuring that eventually everyone will have one so might as well embrace the convenience even if  it makes it easier for big brother to watch. I don't like the privacy breech but the convenience is really cool. 

Seems like 1 step closer to The Matrix to me. First chips, then a couple hundred years later we're all being harvested as batteries.

Absolutely yes. 

Whatever expedites the arrival of our dark lord back to his rightful seat on the throne. 

Seems like 1 step closer to The Matrix to me. First chips, then a couple hundred years later we're all being harvested as batteries.
If I was a battery, I’d be the “open the back of the remote case, shake me, reinsert me, spin me in place” battery that you hope will get you through this episode of Seinfeld. I think I’m safe. 

not many blink about putting cigarettes or a crap ton of liver killing beer or cholestrol dripping big macs inside there bodies but this one is a dealbreaker i guess take that to the bank bromigos 

Not until they make it mandatory.

16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell who does not have the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.  - Revelation 13:16-17 NRSV

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh.  Probably a little too "panopticon-y" for me, but WTF does that matter anymore?  We are basically living that already, I suppose.

Can I look at pron on it?  Then maybe.

not many blink about putting cigarettes or a crap ton of liver killing beer or cholestrol dripping big macs inside there bodies but this one is a dealbreaker i guess take that to the bank bromigos 
I love me some SWC, but this comment has me shuked.  :confused:  
all i am saying is people will put a big mac under there skin in a second but they now for some reason have a problem with something so small it does not even make sense take that to the bank bromigo

This seems like the natural progression of things. Eventually it'll be your phone. 

Not much different I guess than what we've done with pets for years.

Would you do this?

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/658808705/thousands-of-swedes-are-inserting-microchips-under-their-skin

Technology continues to get closer and closer to our bodies, from the phones in our pockets to the smartwatches on our wrists. Now, for some people, it's getting under their skin.

In Sweden, a country rich with technological advancement, thousands have had microchips inserted into their hands.

The chips are designed to speed up users' daily routines and make their lives more convenient — accessing their homes, offices and gyms is as easy as swiping their hands against digital readers.

They also can be used to store emergency contact details, social media profiles or e-tickets for events and rail journeys within Sweden.

Proponents of the tiny chips say they're safe and largely protected from hacking, but one scientist is raising privacy concerns around the kind of personal health data that might be stored on the devices.

rest of article

Would you do this?
What for (bolded)??  So friggin' Zuckerberg can read my mind?  No way.

SWC said:
all i am saying is people will put a big mac under there skin in a second but they now for some reason have a problem with something so small it does not even make sense take that to the bank bromigo
this makes me want to go to get some mcdonald's fries.... take THAT to the bank!

• Sad
Reactions: SWC
SWC said:
I don't think many are concerned about the physical aspects of the implant.  Many people have piercings physically larger than the implant.

Those Big Macs could eventually kill me, but they probably aren't going to drain my bank account, steal my identity or know my location at all times.  McDonalds might be able to use that info.

If you're trolling me, nice job.  :thumbup:  
i think that having a big mac in you is more likely to kill you than a microchip first big macs have more calories than even one regular sized chip and when you are just putting a crumb in there or even something smaller than a crumb it is totally better for you that is all i am saying take that to the bank brohan 

The "wearable electronics" market is heating up too...  not just the "underwear olympics" style.  Off the shelf clothing where it monitors basic bio's and connects to your wireless device .... targeted for health conscious folks of main stream markets.  It will have a small scale GPS type of tech like all smart phones today.  

There are all sorts of electronics that help us while we ignore the most of negative aspects..... 

Cool story - guy locked into his body has a brain implant put in and is able to communicate for the first time in a long time.  

First request - :homer:   I want beer.

Gotta like this guy.
Man what an incredible story:

1. To allow that guy to communicate again

2. But the agony he must have felt being able to think and not communicate. 

Man what an incredible story:

1. To allow that guy to communicate again

2. But the agony he must have felt being able to think and not communicate. 
Beer and Tool sounds like my kind of guy.  Agree that would be absolutely horrible to "live" like that.

I will probably do this at some point.  I was at a cybersecurity conference a few years ago that had a room/booth where you could get this done and I watched several people get them implanted.  I love the potential benefits of being able to just swipe the back of your hand to do things like Apple Pay or open the door at your work rather than having to dig your security badge out of your pocket, etc.  Most all of us already have a GPS enabled phone in our pocket essentially 24x7 so I don't see how this is really much more removed from that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread