What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tajae Sharpe WR Titans (4 Viewers)

I was just saying ... the hype is getting a little crazy (dropping White for Sharpe) ..... I'm thinking 50-750-4 or something like that, WR3 numbers

preseason isn't real season

I was just saying ... the hype is getting a little crazy (dropping White for Sharpe) ..... I'm thinking 50-750-4 or something like that, WR3 numbers

preseason isn't real season
Keep in mind that a lot of people play dynasty leagues so it's alwasy good to hear about a late-round standout rookies who might turn into something down the road. Some of the hype is being driven by that.

I like this guy late second/early third in rookie dynasty drafts.  But the hype is getting ridiculous.  Could he be pushing into top 10 rookie picks??  Way too steep for my blood.

He was just picked at 8.01 in a MFL  :shock:  I like him this year but that is way too rich.  Was picked ahead of T. Austin, T. Smith, C. Coleman, M. Thomas...

He was just picked at 8.01 in a MFL  :shock:  I like him this year but that is way too rich.  Was picked ahead of T. Austin, T. Smith, C. Coleman, M. Thomas...
He looks to be Mariotas guy.....he looked great against the Carolina 1st team D.....I like in redraft a lot.....I love him in dynasty.

It seems early but I don't have much problem with him being ahead of those guys.

Austin is a low volume player on a bottom 5 offense and is coming off of a career year for TDs.  It's highly doubtful he gets anywhere near 10 TDs again in his career.  

T.Smith is a go-route only player but has Captain Checkdown as his QB. 

C.Coleman hasn't even been on the field and when he gets there will have 3 legitimate competitors for targets on a run fist team.

M.Thomas is the new flavor of the month in N.O., we talk about the next emerging WR in N.O. every single year and it rarely plays out that way.

In a dynasty format I could see taking Coleman over Sharpe but he's the only one.  For as good as Thomas may, or may not, be he is only going to have maybe two years with Brees playing at an elite level.  Sharpe and Mariota could be together for a decade.

Wow, was expecting a lot more responses like The Hank's than people defending that pick.  I get the love, all the buzz has been very positive so far.  But in my opinion 8.01 is wayyyy too early, even if you think he will outperform people like T. Austin (which while possible I personally think is unlikely barring injury).  In the range of possibilities you are picking him I believe at his absolute peak value.  In another MFL I'm in he is still available and we're at the 10/11 turn.  

Remember Agholor last year?  Was similar situation IIRC, rookie WR, got a lot of buzz in camp, had a really good preseason game.  I get that they are different and I'm not saying Sharpe will end up the same way but the risk is absolutely there and has to be factored into his price.  T. Austin finished at WR28 last year in PPR and is still young enough where you can expect to see further development.  I especially like him in MFLs because you don't have to figure out which weeks are boom vs. bust.  T. Smith is similar and in a much better situation this year with Chip Kelly I believe, with very few other options.  C. Coleman and M. Thomas are probably the most comparable and I'm probably a bit biased there based on where they were all drafted.

Anyway, again, not saying Sharpe will be bad this year at all, in fact I already have drafted him in 4 completed MFLs when he was going much later.  Considering the rick/reward I like him as a late round flier and probably wouldn't consider him until probably the 13th or so...which I guess means I won't be getting him anymore :)

Yeah, love him for Dynasty, wouldn't touch him until the late rounds in redraft. As much as I love his ability to adjust and make great catches while running what appear to be very good routes, rookie WRs are just too much of a gamble to depend on.

that's what I meant when I said now the sneak play is WR Mathews .... the Sharpe hype has taken him to beyond what his value truly is, switch towards the guy now UNDERvalued ..... Mathews

pennystock said:
Wow, was expecting a lot more responses like The Hank's than people defending that pick.  I get the love, all the buzz has been very positive so far.  But in my opinion 8.01 is wayyyy too early, even if you think he will outperform people like T. Austin (which while possible I personally think is unlikely barring injury).  In the range of possibilities you are picking him I believe at his absolute peak value.  In another MFL I'm in he is still available and we're at the 10/11 turn.  

Remember Agholor last year?  Was similar situation IIRC, rookie WR, got a lot of buzz in camp, had a really good preseason game.  I get that they are different and I'm not saying Sharpe will end up the same way but the risk is absolutely there and has to be factored into his price.  T. Austin finished at WR28 last year in PPR and is still young enough where you can expect to see further development.  I especially like him in MFLs because you don't have to figure out which weeks are boom vs. bust.  T. Smith is similar and in a much better situation this year with Chip Kelly I believe, with very few other options.  C. Coleman and M. Thomas are probably the most comparable and I'm probably a bit biased there based on where they were all drafted.

Anyway, again, not saying Sharpe will be bad this year at all, in fact I already have drafted him in 4 completed MFLs when he was going much later.  Considering the rick/reward I like him as a late round flier and probably wouldn't consider him until probably the 13th or so...which I guess means I won't be getting him anymore :)
I'm very much willing to pull the trigger at the 10/11 turn but as much as I think the guy will do well this year, I can't invest a 8 in him where there are other guys like Corey Coleman, Devin Funchess or Tyler Boyd readily available.

I'm very much willing to pull the trigger at the 10/11 turn but as much as I think the guy will do well this year, I can't invest a 8 in him where there are other guys like Corey Coleman, Devin Funchess or Tyler Boyd readily available.
I think the problem with 8 is you don't want a WR there. Many of us have switched away from stud RB drafting and have two early WRs. The cupboard starts to get bare in round 8 while QBs, TEs (and if you're one of those for top D and top K) seem like better picks. 

Funchess didn't do squat last year. You could surely see an argument that someone likes Sharpe better. He looked good in preseason, very hard to bring down but Ginn is still a game breaker and they gotta go to him X amount of times to see if he'll break one.

I don't see Boyd getting much love when Eifert returns. I haven't checked on his injury in a while. A team that has a RB for big passing plays doesn't usually use the 3rd WR too too much. 

I like Coleman a ton.

As I see it, these are all rookies (Funchess still is, til he does something to prove he's not) and it's all opinion. I like this guy better no I like that guy. I don't think there's a right and wrong here. 

:shrug:  

I suppose that might be a better drop than White. Sort of depends on in Steve Smith is able to play a lot this season and how that might affect Aiken's opportunity.

I kind of see Sharpe and Aiken as a wash. Either could have a better season. Aiken is more established.

You could try to make a 2 for one trade to free up a roster spot for Sharpe as another alternative. To me Aiken or Sharpe is a toss up.

In their 8/15 data MFL shows him as the 61st WR off the board in 12 team redrafts (no-mocks) where every player was picked in at least 10% of leagues,  so I am not sure where the concern over 8.01 is coming from.

In their 8/15 data MFL shows him as the 61st WR off the board in 12 team redrafts (no-mocks) where every player was picked in at least 10% of leagues,  so I am not sure where the concern over 8.01 is coming from.
My point is 8.01 is too early.  8.01 is the 85th pick in the draft.  Using the data you just quoted and actually looking up his ADP using the same criteria he is going on average at pick 142.  But go ahead and take him at 8.01, for all I know you're spot on and he'll light the world on fire.  If we were talking about the end of the 12th/early 13th, I would be okay with that pick.  But if people really start taking him as early as this person did, I don't think there is value in that pick.

I think your math is wrong here man, headsup

10 team 8 rounds puts him the pick at 81

12 team 8 rounds would make it 97
7 full rounds X 12 picks per round = 84 + 1 for first pick in the eighth round = 85?  One of us should be really embarrassed Bri, let me know who's got it wrong  :)

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
My point is 8.01 is too early.  8.01 is the 85th pick in the draft.  Using the data you just quoted and actually looking up his ADP using the same criteria he is going on average at pick 142.  But go ahead and take him at 8.01, for all I know you're spot on and he'll light the world on fire.  If we were talking about the end of the 12th/early 13th, I would be okay with that pick.  But if people really start taking him as early as this person did, I don't think there is value in that pick.
In my 12 team, super-flex redraft the 61st WR doesn't come off the board until rounds 15-16.  I think you found one aberrant MFL draft, that may or may not have had a dynasty component, and are getting way too concerned over it.

According the the July 15th MFL data Sharpe wasn't even being drafted.

He may be appearing on more and more radars as the positive reports keep coming but I would be shocked if he averaged being drafted before the 13th round by Labor Day.

And I will reiterate the point that while 8.01 seems way too early (unless there is some kind of dynasty) but I have no problem with him coming off the board before the other stiffs you mentioned.

In my 12 team, super-flex redraft the 61st WR doesn't come off the board until rounds 15-16.  I think you found one aberrant MFL draft, that may or may not have had a dynasty component, and are getting way too concerned over it.

According the the July 15th MFL data Sharpe wasn't even being drafted.

He may be appearing on more and more radars as the positive reports keep coming but I would be shocked if he averaged being drafted before the 13th round by Labor Day.

And I will reiterate the point that while 8.01 seems way too early (unless there is some kind of dynasty) but I have no problem with him coming off the board before the other stiffs you mentioned.
Dude, I'm more than happy to let someone have this guy at 8.01, just thought it was a good example of how the hype on a player can go too far. Not dynasty, draft only best ball league.  Cheers.

I like this guy late second/early third in rookie dynasty drafts.  But the hype is getting ridiculous.  Could he be pushing into top 10 rookie picks??  Way too steep for my blood.
Sharpe went early second in my draft, I had him mid/late second on my board.  To me Sharpe is the kind of player that needs a higher end QB, Mariota is not there yet but I am higher on Mariota than most.

No they weren't just most of them. And yeah we know he had a bad game. Him saying it doesn't discredit Sharpe.
Sorry six of 10 attempts by Mariotta were at Worley..  I never discredited Sharpe.  I said Worley had a bad game, I think it should be taken into account the Panthers are starting rookies at CB.  That doesn't mean Sharpe didn't play well, I was just trying to illustrate he wasn't going against Tillman/Norman of last year.

Net effect is still the same - I wouldn't drop Kevin White for him.

http://blackandbluereview.com/daryl-worley-unimpressed-way-played/

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach Otis absolutely loving this guy.  Had to include some misdirection in this thread to this point, but here's what the Hawks really feel about him.

Write-up from this morning:

Post-draft supplement #1

Now that Kevin in our mailroom had his final dynasty league rookie draft last night, we're able to roll out some of our most top secret hawk content.  And with that, Coach is now in a position to share with you one of his favorite value plays of all, both for this season and beyond.

Tajae Sharpe, WR

I'm going to start by providing, as a public service to all of the sharks the following link: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018UOQEUM/

It's a surge protector, highly rated, with all of the features you're going to need to care for your home electronics equipment, including that sweet Pentium laptop you use to crunch your cheatsheets and to debug your crapped out MyFBG setup.  You're gonna need it.  In fact, my tech guys here in the Hawk's Nest are telling me it would be a good idea to buy a two-pack of these, plug one into the wall, and then daisy check the second one into that, so that you've got two levels of protection for your computer.  Because a guy you've never heard of before named Tajae Sharpe is going to explode all your electronics equipment this season.  Absolutely explode them.  Televisions, computers, set-top boxes, that sweet sweet satellite on your roof--all of it.

Tajae Sharpe is one of those out-of-nowhere 5th round draft choices from UMass who comes into the league and sets it ablaze.  He's listed at about 6'2" 200lbs coming out of the draft, but he plays longer and leaner than that, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's more like 6'3" with spectacularly long pass-snatching gluey arms.  He has been so impressive in camp that the Titans decided to jettison one of our other favorites, DGB.  Which, when you think about it, is a very Hawk thing for the Titans to do -- he we don't need these early picks, we're going to smash your mouth exotically with dudes we scooped in the 5th round.

He's one of those guys who came into the NFL and very quickly was a guy who everyone around him looks to and respects -- he's been said to have the "it factor," and is described as a guy who just gets it.  He's earned the complete trust of Mariota, the Hawaiian Hunk who'll be zipping passes to the playmaker for years to come, well after Sharpe gets his first big payday from the Titans.  

Here's a highlight reel from the last preseason game to wet your whistle:  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000688233/Every-Tajae-Sharpe-catch-from-Preseason-Week-2.  He makes a lot of really tough catches look easy.  The guy has a massive catch radius, and if you put it in the air anywhere near him, he's coming down with it.  That's got special written all over it.

He's just turned 21, and with natural growth and now NFL conditioning, expect him to start working towards 210lbs and be one of the elite receivers in the NFL.

Unfortunately he's been zooming up draft boards, so those drafting late aren't going to get as much value.  But get him while you still can.

He's going around WR60 off the board, and you'll end up with a Top 20 WR, an the Titan's #1 pass catcher, by season's end.

Top 20 WR (at least 80 receptions)

Sorry six of 10 attempts by Mariotta were at Worley..  I never discredited Sharpe.  I said Worley had a bad game, I think it should be taken into account the Panthers are starting rookies at CB.  That doesn't mean Sharpe didn't play well, I was just trying to illustrate he wasn't going against Tillman/Norman of last year.

Net effect is still the same - I wouldn't drop Kevin White for him.

http://blackandbluereview.com/daryl-worley-unimpressed-way-played/
I would totally drop Kevin White for him.

Kind of a busted play for the Oakland D.  Short slant / hook, Sean Smith had the ball dead to rights but just somehow didn't come up with it, hit Sharpe right in the breadbasket and he turned and took off with it.

Glad I scooped this guy with my 3rd rookie pick.  I was sold the minute I saw his umass highlights.  Has swag in a good way.

He'll be un-startable all year......to many mouths to feed and Wright isn't even back yet. Plus they are going to run the hell out of the ball...... You heard here first.

He'll be un-startable all year......to many mouths to feed and Wright isn't even back yet. Plus they are going to run the hell out of the ball...... You heard here first.
I agree that is probably what they want to do on paper, but I don't think their team is good enough to do that.  I think they will be playing from behind enough that the passing game will be fine as well. 

I agree that is probably what they want to do on paper, but I don't think their team is good enough to do that.  I think they will be playing from behind enough that the passing game will be fine as well. 
Their passing game wasn't so great last year under the same circumstances.  Also the run game will be better this year.

Depends on size and type of league.  I think he will be of some use this year in larger leagues and is an exciting asset long-term in Dynasty Leagues.  He is a WR4 with upside right now.

I don't understand this.  If this were true wouldn't there be a single Titan WR in the top 36 WR's in ADP?  The cardinals have 3 WR's in the top 36 and a RB that people are projecting to have 60 receptions yet Palmer only averaged 3 more throws per game than Marriota last season.  The least passing teams in the league last year averaged 27.1 and 27.9 attempts per game.  Lets say the Titans are run heavy to a level  not seen in recent times and they only pass 25 times per game, who are all these mouths to feed.  Walker will get some and Murray will get a couple per game and then....  So far this preseason Sharpe looks like the WR1 by a long shot.  Did Andre Johnson find the fountain of youth?

I don't think Sharpe will push for WR2 numbers but I can see him being a  WR3 or Flex play by mid season.  

I don't understand this.  If this were true wouldn't there be a single Titan WR in the top 36 WR's in ADP?  The cardinals have 3 WR's in the top 36 and a RB that people are projecting to have 60 receptions yet Palmer only averaged 3 more throws per game than Marriota last season.  The least passing teams in the league last year averaged 27.1 and 27.9 attempts per game.  Lets say the Titans are run heavy to a level  not seen in recent times and they only pass 25 times per game, who are all these mouths to feed.  Walker will get some and Murray will get a couple per game and then....  So far this preseason Sharpe looks like the WR1 by a long shot.  Did Andre Johnson find the fountain of youth?

I don't think Sharpe will push for WR2 numbers but I can see him being a  WR3 or Flex play by mid season.  
Wright hasn't even played yet. Meh Sharp is the type of player and situation I try and avoid. If you'd like to draft him and think you can pick which games he's going to pop. Go for it. 

Wright hasn't even played yet. Meh Sharp is the type of player and situation I try and avoid. If you'd like to draft him and think you can pick which games he's going to pop. Go for it. 
But we're taking about a 14th round pick here. There's not much risk in taking him and seeing what happens.

And Wright has gotten worse every year he's been in the league. He's the third fiddle at WR at best (I say this as a Wright dynasty owner). He's not going to magically bump Sharpe out of the lineup.

But we're taking about a 14th round pick here. There's not much risk in taking him and seeing what happens.
What's his upside? WR3? No thanks. You'll never feel good about starting him after he has 3 games in a row with 2-3 targets. I'll grab a TE flyer or back up RB in a good situation. 

Users who are viewing this thread