What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tajae Sharpe WR Titans (3 Viewers)

Tajae Sharpe is waiver wire fodder
It's amazing that he has tow topics on the first page or that anyone would bother to start a topic about his "2018 value". I can't imagine how deep a league one must have to be concerned with Sharpe's value - which is non-existent. He's at best the 5th option in a low volume passing game.

I picked up Sharpe in the offseason but cut him a few weeks later. It just doesn't seem he'll have much value. Matthews and Corey Davis are entrenched. Taylor is going to build off his rookie year. Sharpe is coming off injury and won't unseat Matthews or Davis as starter. the WR3 on that team isn't going to get much anyway with Lewis, the TEs, and Mariota's mobility. 

He has spent a lot of time with Mariota this offseason and was the organizer of one of their WR/QB workouts. 

He has outstanding hands as everyone knows by him leading FBS in catches or whatever it was. He was fantastic two summers ago. He struggled during the season and in typical Mularkey fashion, he was very hard on him. As per usual, the rookie WR got progressively worse under Mularkey. He eventually lost his starting spot to Matthews. (Note 1 WR in 3TE sets, otherwise started opposite each other. He lost the lead dog role)

He's not fast or tall but he's tall enough and fast enough. Everything about his game should make him ordinary but those hands...

Go back two years and the Titans had drops issues so super bad. Matthews and Sharpe were nowhere near the most talented or most athletic but they sure were the most reliable. Eventually, the OMG speed of Wright, the wow ups of Hunter, and the beastly bod of DGB were all replaced. Now Mariota has a rapport with Matthews and Delanie Walker that is as good as any QB/WR combo in the NFL- the trust, the catch percentage etc. Sharpe was smart to get involved this offseason and initiate. He got into Mariota's mind again and reports are so favorable about them two.

Taywan Taylor and Corey Davis do not have drops issues. Taylor is the fastest or quickest WR you've ever seen- true or not, you will say that. Davis is one of the best athletes in the NFL and (for a handful of snaps) so is Adoree. The Titans can put out the most underrated yet OMG type WR set for a few plays. In December, most teams won't have 3 CBs that can cover all three.

The NFL is more often boring than super exciting. A play or two a game will raise your eyebrows, the rest of the game is an art of gamesmanship. Matthews and Walker, again, are super reliable and own two spots.

Taylor is being given every chance to win the slot role which some consider the most active role. Tajae and Burnett will back him up and look to steal his spot. Last year, Taylor dropped some screen passes that were oh so easy and almost too easy in a way that just sort of happens sometimes. Mularkey was super strict with him so he'd get benched while others wouldn't for one bad play. It comes down to reliability. 

Burnett has more big play ability than Sharpe. The Titans secured a few of the fave UDFAs post draft and he's one of them. He has no NFL experience and Sharpe already took his lumps as a rookie. 

Backup slot is a bad spot in TEN, the starter is a great spot. The backup will share the role with RBs, TEs, and WRs. Vrabel's O is taking a page from the prior one and rotating/shifting multiple players in the slot at times. So you gotta watch the Taylor/Tajae/Burnett battle as gaining the starter or nothing.

Rishard Matthews is in the last year of his contract and the focus of several trade rumors. He was given a flag of his deceased brother's base before a game. It made him cry. During the anthems that followed, he had to sit and got choked up. There was a misunderstanding that he was one of the problem anthem guys. He is not at all. It's unclear if that lingers and hurt his trade value or his high pay for the final year. Tajae looks like Matthews' replacement. 

Matthews' role in Mularkey's O was enormous. Vrabel has complained of team speed and really liked the Texans track stars opposite Hopkins. It could be that Taylor is Matthews replacement and Sharpe becomes the inside guy. 

He's a dangerous hold. The Titans don't lack talent at WR and he's not a burner. He is a solid high risk high reward bet. I'd only keep him in deep leagues. You should be able to move off him and come back in late December to get any 2019 stats. 

He has spent a lot of time with Mariota this offseason and was the organizer of one of their WR/QB workouts. 

He has outstanding hands as everyone knows by him leading FBS in catches or whatever it was. He was fantastic two summers ago. He struggled during the season and in typical Mularkey fashion, he was very hard on him. As per usual, the rookie WR got progressively worse under Mularkey. He eventually lost his starting spot to Matthews. (Note 1 WR in 3TE sets, otherwise started opposite each other. He lost the lead dog role)

He's not fast or tall but he's tall enough and fast enough. Everything about his game should make him ordinary but those hands...

Go back two years and the Titans had drops issues so super bad. Matthews and Sharpe were nowhere near the most talented or most athletic but they sure were the most reliable. Eventually, the OMG speed of Wright, the wow ups of Hunter, and the beastly bod of DGB were all replaced. Now Mariota has a rapport with Matthews and Delanie Walker that is as good as any QB/WR combo in the NFL- the trust, the catch percentage etc. Sharpe was smart to get involved this offseason and initiate. He got into Mariota's mind again and reports are so favorable about them two.

Taywan Taylor and Corey Davis do not have drops issues. Taylor is the fastest or quickest WR you've ever seen- true or not, you will say that. Davis is one of the best athletes in the NFL and (for a handful of snaps) so is Adoree. The Titans can put out the most underrated yet OMG type WR set for a few plays. In December, most teams won't have 3 CBs that can cover all three.

The NFL is more often boring than super exciting. A play or two a game will raise your eyebrows, the rest of the game is an art of gamesmanship. Matthews and Walker, again, are super reliable and own two spots.

Taylor is being given every chance to win the slot role which some consider the most active role. Tajae and Burnett will back him up and look to steal his spot. Last year, Taylor dropped some screen passes that were oh so easy and almost too easy in a way that just sort of happens sometimes. Mularkey was super strict with him so he'd get benched while others wouldn't for one bad play. It comes down to reliability. 

Burnett has more big play ability than Sharpe. The Titans secured a few of the fave UDFAs post draft and he's one of them. He has no NFL experience and Sharpe already took his lumps as a rookie. 

Backup slot is a bad spot in TEN, the starter is a great spot. The backup will share the role with RBs, TEs, and WRs. Vrabel's O is taking a page from the prior one and rotating/shifting multiple players in the slot at times. So you gotta watch the Taylor/Tajae/Burnett battle as gaining the starter or nothing.

Rishard Matthews is in the last year of his contract and the focus of several trade rumors. He was given a flag of his deceased brother's base before a game. It made him cry. During the anthems that followed, he had to sit and got choked up. There was a misunderstanding that he was one of the problem anthem guys. He is not at all. It's unclear if that lingers and hurt his trade value or his high pay for the final year. Tajae looks like Matthews' replacement. 

Matthews' role in Mularkey's O was enormous. Vrabel has complained of team speed and really liked the Texans track stars opposite Hopkins. It could be that Taylor is Matthews replacement and Sharpe becomes the inside guy. 

He's a dangerous hold. The Titans don't lack talent at WR and he's not a burner. He is a solid high risk high reward bet. I'd only keep him in deep leagues. You should be able to move off him and come back in late December to get any 2019 stats. 

Bri said:

Didn’t he have some knucklehead off field stuff? I drafted sharpe late in a couple leagues and wish I would have sold high after year one, which I usually do with late round guys like Rawls they put up some stats early. 

Bri said:

While it is still too early to say how Sharpe will develop in the NFL but he went from nice surprise and promising player in the preseason and early games to a non factor and player who regressed following that. The off field stuff didn't help his cause either.

I think Taylor has already shown more than Sharpe has and Taylors upside is much greater than Sharpes if we assume both reach their full potential.

There is a place on the Titans or any other NFL team for what Sharpe can do. It is good to hear him making the effort to develop chemistry with MM. That is reversing his downward trajectory of last season (maybe) but I think he has already lost too much ground to Davis and Taylor to expect him to play much as long as they (and Matthews) are ahead of him on depth chart. I don't really see that changing either.

Now maybe the Titans open up the offense more this year with the new coaches?

There could be a place for him if the Titans do employ more 3 and 4 WR sets than they were under Mularkey. I can even see spreading things out being a good thing for MM. There isn't much room for Sharpe to play however unless they do spread things out a lot more than they have been doing.

What do you think about that Bri? Will the Titans use the TE and RB a lot less than they were under Mularkey? Is that a way to make better use of Mariota?

Didn’t he have some knucklehead off field stuff? I drafted sharpe late in a couple leagues and wish I would have sold high after year one, which I usually do with late round guys like Rawls they put up some stats early. 
He did. Got into a bar fight.

Details of this are posted in the thread if you want to scroll back a bit.

He did. Got into a bar fight.

Details of this are posted in the thread if you want to scroll back a bit.
Yeah sorry I should have just done that- I remember now, when they signed Decker, drafted Davis and taylor, some dude said something like “there go all your targets” and he followed him outside. I guess not the worst of knuckleheads, but I still have a hard time thinking he will have much value going forward. 

I think the rb will still be involved in the pass game, and I imagine jonnu will get some time as well although it could be a henry/Gates situation where they sap each other’s value. I doubt sharpe pushes Mathews. I imagine the preferred game script will be based on running and defense. I just don’t see how sharpe is any more than like the 8th option on offense

Yeah sorry I should have just done that- I remember now, when they signed Decker, drafted Davis and taylor, some dude said something like “there go all your targets” and he followed him outside. I guess not the worst of knuckleheads, but I still have a hard time thinking he will have much value going forward. 

I think the rb will still be involved in the pass game, and I imagine jonnu will get some time as well although it could be a henry/Gates situation where they sap each other’s value. I doubt sharpe pushes Mathews. I imagine the preferred game script will be based on running and defense. I just don’t see how sharpe is any more than like the 8th option on offense
Me either. He was a value play before they drafted Davis and Taylor. Not so much anymore.

I do think Sharpe runs some good routes and as Bri points out he has very good hands as well. If he goes to another team without so much competition I think he maybe could be worth having, but not as things stand right now.

That's a good strategy. Gotta get kinda lucky though.

I bought Tajae after year 1 for a 6th. Pretty much a wash trade.

Me either. He was a value play before they drafted Davis and Taylor. Not so much anymore.

I do think Sharpe runs some good routes and as Bri points out he has very good hands as well. If he goes to another team without so much competition I think he maybe could be worth having, but not as things stand right now.
Sharpe runs good routes for sure, he just needs to develop some more quickness. He takes too long to get out of his bends, and that can lead to picks, incompletions, or just a non-target on a play that should be an easy completion. 

I think he'd be solid on Buffalo, Dallas, Seattle, Oakland, Minny, or even Washington. But I bet he makes the Titans this year. I think they want to keep him around, even though he didn't play in 2017 and had that fight.

Definitely expect 3 WR sets- like a traditional NFL team, not the Titans of the last so many years.

Jonnu looks huge and is wowing everyone with how he showed up ready to rock. Most of the thoughts though are of where does he fit in as they do more 3 WR sets? I don't think Delanie can be pushed but he is there so...something minimal seems acceptable

Definitely expect 3 WR sets- like a traditional NFL team, not the Titans of the last so many years.

Jonnu looks huge and is wowing everyone with how he showed up ready to rock. Most of the thoughts though are of where does he fit in as they do more 3 WR sets? I don't think Delanie can be pushed but he is there so...something minimal seems acceptable
Nice to hear that Jonnu continues to impress.  :wub:

Sharpe runs good routes for sure, he just needs to develop some more quickness. He takes too long to get out of his bends, and that can lead to picks, incompletions, or just a non-target on a play that should be an easy completion. 

I think he'd be solid on Buffalo, Dallas, Seattle, Oakland, Minny, or even Washington. But I bet he makes the Titans this year. I think they want to keep him around, even though he didn't play in 2017 and had that fight.
One reporter friend has long said he thinks he's a tight end. I like that analogy. He'll get his body in position when other WRs turn on the jets. It really works if ya rewatch some Sharpe highlights, quite fitting. That's not a bad rookie reaction either. He's thinking and adjusting. We haven't seen his growth or had a chance to though and there's been a lot of development expected from him. We really don't truly know where he's at.

The lineman didn't react favorably that night nor since. Tajae has been a good boy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Nothing should have happened, no doubt, but as well as a guy can try and right the ship, he's done so. He is a soup kitchen volunteer and decided to give himself a punishment to spend more time there. He apologized up and down. He showed for his court dates and ....idk you just sort of get the feel that a good guy did something stupid. Tretola sounds like a drunk guy that acted out and thought it was funny and a testosterone competition. He's had a totally different reaction.

The soup kitchen stuff helps him, he said. He said it humbles him and ...he continues to do it and I like all I hear about it.

Rishard Mathews quit the team? That makes Sharpe a starter opposite Davis?

Anything to see here in dynasty ? 
Maybe but not likely.

Taylor got more snaps than anyone this summer, did well, and didn't get the reps to start the season. He had a good bump in snaps last week. 

Vrabel seems to like Tajae. He gets subbed in like he's the answer as a fourth WR. Vrabel did not confirm a starter. He said everyone needs to step up and yes Taylor was one of them that needed to step up.

Tajae has amazing hands but slowish so he has a limited ceiling. Taylor is the fastest WR ever (for one play) and has moves. He is also very savvy with his speed. 

Titans fans saw Tajae against 1s and he was just meh. He doesn't have "it." He could definitely be a chain mover with those hands though. We all love Taylor's potential and most think he could be real special.

Rishard Mathews quit the team? That makes Sharpe a starter opposite Davis?

Anything to see here in dynasty ? 
In two of their three games they have passed for less than 118 yards from their QB's combined. Until they solve that I don't know if I'm interested in even their #1 WR unless it's a pretty deep league. At what point do you start hoping they bring back Fisher for the "good 'ol" offensive days? Yes, it's early but egad is it dreadful so far. It's going to take a giant leap on offense or they will be installing ANOTHER new offense very, very soon(in terms of dynasty).

BoltBacker said:
In two of their three games they have passed for less than 118 yards from their QB's combined. Until they solve that I don't know if I'm interested in even their #1 WR unless it's a pretty deep league. At what point do you start hoping they bring back Fisher for the "good 'ol" offensive days? Yes, it's early but egad is it dreadful so far. It's going to take a giant leap on offense or they will be installing ANOTHER new offense very, very soon(in terms of dynasty).
This is true, but I think most teams would be in similar shape without their starting QB.

I'm just thinking that players younger than 24 who are getting significant snaps should probably be owned.  

The team depth chart is a bit strange... Mathews is removed from the depth chart and Sharpe is listed behind his blank spot on the depth chart... I'm thinking there is room for both Sharpe and Taylor to get significant snaps with Walker out.

Sharpe looked like the clear #2 WR today and finished with a 7/101 line.  Not bad at all.  Taylor looked like complete crap out there when I was watching him.

If the Tennessee offense can recover going forward there might be something to see here after all.  If he's still out there on your Dynasty waivers I'd be making sure I scooped him up when FAAB runs.

Remember when WRs used to take about 3 years to become relevant?  I picked him up off the WW in my main dynasty league as a stash on my bench.  Sometimes you can cash in a fantasy lottery check.

Observations from Tuesday's Titans OTA

Excerpts:

Receiver Tajae Sharpe had a solid day on Tuesday, catching passes throughout. We'll talk about him more later in this report.

I mentioned Sharpe earlier. In a drill near the goal-line, a Mariota pass to Sharpe was ruled incomplete after Sharpe landed out of bounds. On the very next play, Sharpe caught a touchdown pass in the middle of the field with linebacker Jayon Brown defending.

Moments later, Sharpe beat Butler for a five-yard touchdown catch on a ball thrown by Mariota. Sharpe has looked good in several OTAs this offseason.

Delanie Walker, Corey Davies, Adam Humphries will get theirs.

Taywan Taylor, Tajae Sharpe and AJ Brown will fight for the rest.

Did I mention Dion Lewis?
There really is no excuse if MM doesn't play well. Great weapons and Oline support. Good defense weaker against the pass.

I'm skeptical he will take full advantage of it.

There really is no excuse if MM doesn't play well. Great weapons and Oline support. Good defense weaker against the pass.

I'm skeptical he will take full advantage of it.
Walker is old, and coming off a major injury.  Humphries is a role player.  Davis, Taylor and Brown are all unproven -- at best.

The poor play of Mariota is holding Davis back from proving himself.

Your at best comment is an exagerration. These are good WR.
Agree 100%. I would say that have the most underrated pass catching crew in the league. I feel like there is a lot of untapped potential left especially in Davis and Taylor. We may see Tannehil with or without an injury to Marcus this year. It would be interesting to see what the difference would be on the field for a 3 to 5 game stretch.

ESPN's Turron Davenport calls Tajae Sharpe the Titans' biggest surprise offseason standout.

Sharpe is "in the mix for No. 3 wideout spot" despite the Titans adding Adam Humphries and A.J. Brown into the receiver room this offseason. As he has done in the regular season, Sharpe has been lining up at multiple receiver spots this offseason in hopes his versatility leads to more playing time. However, with more in-house competition than last year, Sharpe isn't a buy in fantasy.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jun 14, 2019, 10:27 AM ET

The Titans have kept four WRs and then five for many years. After injuries, they went with six last year.

Jennings led the NFL in KR and does pretty well on special teams (not gunner though). He has played RB, WR, CB, S, KR, and PR in the NFL and is a former Patriot and is a lock.

They need a gunner and a PR. A punt returner has to have some wiggle and Jennings is more straight-ahead fast.

Tajae and Taylor have been constant trade rumors and it seems likely. The 5th WR has to play special teams and they do not. Taylor has started a lot of the offseason so he seems well above Tajae at this point. 

Without top end speed, Tajae is really locked into the slot. Humphries owns that already and Brown has been backing him up. Davis has been playing some there (a little bit) since he was a rookie.  They don't need another slot. Not to mention Delanie often gets moved to the slot where he gets a nice matchup at his size.

Cameron Batson is this speedy little bugger that can dance. Vrabel loved the UDFA last year and he surprisingly made the team.  He played very little but we did see the speed and moves. In no way would I keep a fourth WR for the slot but if so, I'd want him to be different than the others and bring something unique to the table. Batson does that. 

Ratliff-Williams has been rockin'. He does everything. If he returns one punt for a TD in preseason, kiss Tajae good-bye then. (I absolutely expect my Titans to mess this up and cut Williams) If he just does well, then it's questionable.

Fifth WRs have a purpose and routes/catching the ball is only like 20% of their job. It's quite different than being in the top 3.

JRob has a huge ego and could keep 7 WRs to be a weirdo and try and force a trade.

The Titans have always had special teams coaches with super long experience like 25 years in the league. The two ST coaches will get their K, P, snapper, and gunner.

Le Shaun Sims was trade bait last year and JRob got awful offers for him and said he'd never trade him again. This year he has received a lot of offers. Sims is a starting caliber backup CB and excellent gunner. If he is traded, this will also mean Tajae is gone. Another CB could become a gunner, but they need two and ...I'd keep an eye on Sims too. He might be a catalyst for a Tajae trade that you never thought of

OC Smith has confirmed that Tajae supplanted Taylor as the starter opposite Davis.

Taylor had two drops (one on the QB) in week one of preseason and followed that with a phenomenal week including a 300 yard (yep) day against the Pats. He did fine last night.

Tajae got pushed behind Brown and had a grumpy practice but since, Smith said he's done well and whatever is asked of him.  Kudos to him for besting the rook getting the exposure and Taylor.

I don't believe this. The quotes and stats from Pats practices, the game...there is nothing to make you think he jumped ahead of those two other than taking the first snap.

Motivate Taylor and Brown?

Increase Tajae's trade value?

Tajae Sharpe caught 5-of-6 targets for 69 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' Week 16 loss to the Saints.

It was easily his best game of the season. Sharpe scored from 36 and seven yards out in the second half. They were Sharpe's third and fourth scores of the season and his second-most yards of the year. It's obviously not a stat line to chase going into Week 17. A.J. Brown was draped in Marshon Lattimore's coverage all afternoon, freeing up targets to go elsewhere for Tennessee.
Literally back from the dead, he'll be fighting for a spot next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Literally back from the dead, he'll be fighting for a spot next season.
He's been good this year. He's their 4th WR so he gets limited looks, but he comes through very often with those limited looks.

He makes me wonder why "led college football in catches" isn't a standard teams draft.  The guy has great hands and there's "no debate" once they accomplished that.

He's not very fast. He has had to put in a lot of time to become a better route runner despite many people writing that it was his strength coming out of college. He could block better. He could be faster. I'm not....but there is a place for these guys in the league. 

I would guess he's their third WR and someone is yet to be added. I had written about his hands previously, he had zero drops in 2019.  He's limited but if the QB can place the ball he's gonna catch it.

Users who are viewing this thread