What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taking in a child from a troubled home NOV '23 UPDATE: Epilogue (2 Viewers)

I somehow missed reading/seeing the op's most recent update until now.  Just wanted to send best thoughts and prayers to him and the family.  The best rewards in life are a result of the hardest challenges.    It's pretty awesome and amazing that he and his family have chosen to put themselves through an insane challenge and are working through every obstacle in their paths.  I certainly admire that. 

So, um... Hi? It's been what, 5 years since I've been here and don't know how many people are still here who remember me or this thread but I can now report that the story has a happy ending.

To my pleasant surprise Padme's mom was able to stay sober. She petitioned the court to get custody back and we didn't fight it. Padme went back to live with her mom when she was 16. She turned 18 this year and graduated high school. She even got straight A's her senior year. She's now enrolled at Ohio State studying to be a veterinarian. She has a little sister who is a troublemaker and it's really funny to hear Padme complain about what a terrible kid she is when she's doing the exact same things her sister did not too long ago.

Looking back at everything we went through I have to say that I'm very proud of my family and, honestly, of myself. If we hadn't taken this kid in she would have gone into foster care. Her family was trash and unwilling to do it themselves. Instead she had 4 years in a loving home, learning what a difference a strong family can make in your life. I honestly think she's going to break the cycle of drugs, crime, and poverty that she lived in most of her life.

My personal situation has improved as well. I am now a salaried employee at a global automaker. In fact I just got back from a business trip to Mexico. I'm making more money than I ever did before, though I'm not rich by far. I am at the point where I can afford all the bills and have some left over. I even bought a (20 year-old) Corvette this year.

My wife and I, who had our own problems that were also documented on this board, are still together. We had our 20 year anniversary this year. Our kids are 18 and 16. My oldest is a computer genius with a 4.24 GPA and a college scholarship for next year. My youngest is attending a trade school learning construction electricity.

I'm not sure if I'm "back" on FBG, maybe I'll take a look around and see what a mess you've made of the place. But I was thinking this morning that I'd just left you all high and dry and after all the support you gave me, you deserved better than that. So, to all of you who gave me advice, support, or even just a "good luck" I say, THANK YOU. To those of you who predicted doom I say, you were wrong. You couldn't have been more wrong.

Doing the right thing isn't always easy. Sometimes you'll suffer for it. Things may not work out the way you want even if you do everything you can. But sometimes, just sometimes, you get the best outcome you could have possibly hoped for. This was one of those times and I'm a better person because of it.

So, um... Hi? It's been what, 5 years since I've been here and don't know how many people are still here who remember me or this thread but I can now report that the story has a happy ending.

To my pleasant surprise Padme's mom was able to stay sober. She petitioned the court to get custody back and we didn't fight it. Padme went back to live with her mom when she was 16. She turned 18 this year and graduated high school. She even got straight A's her senior year. She's now enrolled at Ohio State studying to be a veterinarian. She has a little sister who is a troublemaker and it's really funny to hear Padme complain about what a terrible kid she is when she's doing the exact same things her sister did not too long ago.

Looking back at everything we went through I have to say that I'm very proud of my family and, honestly, of myself. If we hadn't taken this kid in she would have gone into foster care. Her family was trash and unwilling to do it themselves. Instead she had 4 years in a loving home, learning what a difference a strong family can make in your life. I honestly think she's going to break the cycle of drugs, crime, and poverty that she lived in most of her life.

My personal situation has improved as well. I am now a salaried employee at a global automaker. In fact I just got back from a business trip to Mexico. I'm making more money than I ever did before, though I'm not rich by far. I am at the point where I can afford all the bills and have some left over. I even bought a (20 year-old) Corvette this year.

My wife and I, who had our own problems that were also documented on this board, are still together. We had our 20 year anniversary this year. Our kids are 18 and 16. My oldest is a computer genius with a 4.24 GPA and a college scholarship for next year. My youngest is attending a trade school learning construction electricity.

I'm not sure if I'm "back" on FBG, maybe I'll take a look around and see what a mess you've made of the place. But I was thinking this morning that I'd just left you all high and dry and after all the support you gave me, you deserved better than that. So, to all of you who gave me advice, support, or even just a "good luck" I say, THANK YOU. To those of you who predicted doom I say, you were wrong. You couldn't have been more wrong.

Doing the right thing isn't always easy. Sometimes you'll suffer for it. Things may not work out the way you want even if you do everything you can. But sometimes, just sometimes, you get the best outcome you could have possibly hoped for. This was one of those times and I'm a better person because of it.

This place and the world is a better place with you around. Don't be a stranger.

Thanks for the update, @MikeIke ! Glad to hear everything is going so much better. What an amazing and heartwarming story!

In a world that can seem so outright hostile and cold, your actions remind me that people are capable of acts of immense bravery and good. You helped save another human being from being a cast-off and brought her into your family. You showed her what it was like to be loved and cared for. And she is thriving!

You did the right thing, at great personal cost, because you were convinced it was the right thing to do. To me, that is the only measure of a true human being. I’m proud of you and your family, too. Much respect to you.

And may life heap blessing upon blessing on you and yours❤️

Such an awesome update. It has to feel so amazing knowing that you made such a positive difference in another person’s life.

Amazing! So awesome to hear. I am sort of going through a similar situation right now so it’s great to hear from someone saying it was all worth it.

Weird you should post. I was just thinking of you last week. I am so glad things turned out well.

If you like music, you could hang out in the MAD's folders. They are nice places.

Thanks for the update, @MikeIke ! Glad to hear everything is going so much better. What an amazing and heartwarming story!

In a world that can seem so outright hostile and cold, your actions remind me that people are capable of acts of immense bravery and good. You helped save another human being from being a cast-off and brought her into your family. You showed her what it was like to be loved and cared for. And she is thriving!

You did the right thing, at great personal cost, because you were convinced it was the right thing to do. To me, that is the only measure of a true human being. I’m proud of you and your family, too. Much respect to you.

And may life heap blessing upon blessing on you and yours❤️

I decided to quote two of my favorite people, just cuz, but mostly I wanted to say how ******* happy I am to see you post. I've worried about you a lot over the past few years when @ing and such didn't summon you. And I really missed you in the Olympics threads!

All that being said, even more so I'm happy to read of how incredibly this all turned out. I shouldn't have thought anything less than this, because you're a super fella. So happy for you and your family.

Amazing update! I've always wanted to know how things turned out for you, and (given your last few posts and your disappearance from the forums) feared the worst. I even posted about you in the 'Whatever happened to?' thread a while back. Really happy to hear that things have turned out so much better than expected!

Users who are viewing this thread