What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talk About Meat Consumption (1 Viewer)

How many servings of meat do you eat

• 14+ a week

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • 7-13 a week

Votes: 71 49.3%
  • 3-6 a week

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • 1-3 a week

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • A few per month

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • A few per year

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mostly not at all

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don't eat meat

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
I've got West African Peanut Stew dialed in 100%. Made it 4 times. So good.
I've made a couple versions of this but I never got anything I truly loved. Share what ya making

Huge fan of her:

1) use the Trader Joes no-sugar added peanut butter.
2) emulsion blender 60% of it.
3) garbanzo beans not Navy
4) over a bed of rice

I've got West African Peanut Stew dialed in 100%. Made it 4 times. So good.
I've made a couple versions of this but I never got anything I truly loved. Share what ya making

Huge fan of her:

1) use the Trader Joes no-sugar added peanut butter.
2) emulsion blender 60% of it.
3) garbanzo beans not Navy
4) over a bed of rice

A longer, slower cook is also key here....you want those sweet potatoes to really break down so don't ever rush this.

This carnivore is on day 11 of vegetarian, not vegan, eating.

Day 17 and I did some grocery shopping just now. An unexpected psychological turn of events. I looked at the discounted meat section out of habit. I had no interest despite a fine looking ribeye at a reasonable price. I looked at the boneless chicken breasts on sale for $1.99 a pound, pass. Chicken has been something I avoid compared to beef and part of that is the chicken ranches are more disgusting than cafos to me. Looked at the seafood counter. Unfortunately my favorite fish is mostly expensive and high in mercury, sea bass, swordfish, tuna, mahi, even shark (which makes great burgers). I don't eat farmed fish and that's the only salmon here today. Considered cod, mmmm fish tacos, but passed.

For lack of a better word, the rabbit hole of reading this thread sent me down has me finding meat gross. And it's not like I learned much of anything new.

There's a little cow's milk left in my fridge, but I bought oat milk today. I still have no interest in frankenfood meat replacements or trying seitan or experimenting with tofu. I make lovely omelettes, so I have some eggs to get through. No idea if I buy more. Probably. My protein intake is pretty low. I'm not a fan of powdered protein, but I'm having a big 24-30 oz, smoothie every day. My fruit consumption is up. My carbs are up. This has been easy, but I haven't traveled or eaten out. :shrug:

This carnivore is on day 11 of vegetarian, not vegan, eating.

Day 17 and I did some grocery shopping just now. An unexpected psychological turn of events. I looked at the discounted meat section out of habit. I had no interest despite a fine looking ribeye at a reasonable price. I looked at the boneless chicken breasts on sale for $1.99 a pound, pass. Chicken has been something I avoid compared to beef and part of that is the chicken ranches are more disgusting than cafos to me. Looked at the seafood counter. Unfortunately my favorite fish is mostly expensive and high in mercury, sea bass, swordfish, tuna, mahi, even shark (which makes great burgers). I don't eat farmed fish and that's the only salmon here today. Considered cod, mmmm fish tacos, but passed.

For lack of a better word, the rabbit hole of reading this thread sent me down has me finding meat gross. And it's not like I learned much of anything new.

There's a little cow's milk left in my fridge, but I bought oat milk today. I still have no interest in frankenfood meat replacements or trying seitan or experimenting with tofu. I make lovely omelettes, so I have some eggs to get through. No idea if I buy more. Probably. My protein intake is pretty low. I'm not a fan of powdered protein, but I'm having a big 24-30 oz, smoothie every day. My fruit consumption is up. My carbs are up. This has been easy, but I haven't traveled or eaten out. :shrug:
Similar to my experience giving up meat - it wasn’t that hard. Now, I still eat seafood, but entertain taking the vegan plunge as time goes on.

I still have no interest in frankenfood meat replacements or trying seitan or experimenting with tofu.
You soon will

Hmm, why? They were giving away impossible burgers and I never considered one. I can see cooking with tofu, but I'm perfectly satisfied without it atm. I thought pizza would be a problem but I just loaded one up with mushroom, olive and onion and it was excellent. Cheese. Yup, it's a problem. I tried vegan cheese once. It won't happen again. I'm sure I'll eat shrimp or fish before the laboratory meat replacement. I'm just not sure I'll eat shrimp or fish at all.

Similar to my experience giving up meat - it wasn’t that hard. Now, I still eat seafood, but entertain taking the vegan plunge as time goes on.

I'm sure there's wild caught salmon in the frozen foods section, but I brainwashed myself paleo dieting long ago to avoid the aisles and shop the outside of the store. So, I didn't think to look. Had I, I probably would have bought a bag. I skipped the beef and chicken quickly, but really lingered at the seafood counter.

I still have no interest in frankenfood meat replacements or trying seitan or experimenting with tofu.
You soon will
Prepped correctly, tofu is really good. Seitan is so-so. I’d avoid manufactured faux meats.
Yeah tofu is pretty good. My wife fries it and it makes a good replacement in “chicken” parm or “fried chicken” biscuit sandwiches.

I've mostly made something that lasted a few days to reduce kitchen clean up. As a single guy living alone, I'm done with big kitchen messes. But between those longer lasting dishes, I've made a traditional eggplant parm and turned big slabs of cauliflower into cauli parm. Both excellent.

Cheese. Yup, it's a problem.

Are you trying to go vegan? If not, I think you're okay. Interesting stuff, Chaos34. Keep us posted with respect to your journey here.

I don't know, which made me chuckle. This wasn't planned in advance. I just finished a big pot of something vegetarian over two weeks ago and decided to make another but different. So, I stuck with it a third time and reported in here. I've made vegetarian meals weekly-ish for years. I don't think pure veganism is something I'm ready for. Tbh, I'm not completely sure of the rules and not interested in learning them. I'm just gonna live without meat for another week and go shopping again.

A good test will be Sunday. I'm doing the doubleheader at Crypto Arena in DT LA. Afternoon Clippers game, couple hour break when we'll do a restaurant, evening Lakers game. I may need a muzzle to get by the bacon wrapped hot dog dude outside the arena after the second game.

I don't know, which made me chuckle. This wasn't planned in advance. I just finished a big pot of something vegetarian over two weeks ago and decided to make another but different. So, I stuck with it a third time and reported in here.

Cool. Good luck with what you're doing. Keep it up if it suits you. If not, then it was a few weeks. No big deal. Peace.

You soon will

Hmm, why? They were giving away impossible burgers and I never considered one. I can see cooking with tofu, but I'm perfectly satisfied without it atm. I thought pizza would be a problem but I just loaded one up with mushroom, olive and onion and it was excellent. Cheese. Yup, it's a problem. I tried vegan cheese once. It won't happen again. I'm sure I'll eat shrimp or fish before the laboratory meat replacement. I'm just not sure I'll eat shrimp or fish at all.
I just think that as you continue down this path, you will want to branch out and try new things. Maybe not meat replacements, but tofu and seitan are good stuff.

You soon will

I just think that as you continue down this path, you will want to branch out and try new things. Maybe not meat replacements, but tofu and seitan are good stuff.

I agree with you then. Take the meat replacements out, and if I keep going, seitan and tofu are definitely interesting to me.

Cheese. Yup, it's a problem. I tried vegan cheese once. It won't happen again.

I get it. I've been a form of vegan/vegetarian 5.5 years now. And I despise vegan (or dairy free ) cheese for the most part. However, Field Roast has a brand of cheese called CHAO Creamy Original that I find that I like even better than some of the regular cheese that I grew up on. Some markets even have the shredded version of this as well. If you haven't tried, I would suggest giving it a try just to see.

I get it. I've been a form of vegan/vegetarian 5.5 years now. And I despise vegan (or dairy free ) cheese for the most part. However, Field Roast has a brand of cheese called CHAO Creamy Original that I find that I like even better than some of the regular cheese that I grew up on. Some markets even have the shredded version of this as well. If you haven't tried, I would suggest giving it a try just to see.
I've tried that cheese and agree, it's good. Follow Your Heart has some amazing feta crumbles and parmesan shreds that I put in my salads. By far the best Vegan cheese I've tried.

I've tried that cheese and agree, it's good. Follow Your Heart has some amazing feta crumbles and parmesan shreds that I put in my salads. By far the best Vegan cheese I've tried.

The vegan cheese I tried was Daiya. It was comically bad. You may have noticed I'm a budget conscious shopper. Not so with Dairy. I'll spend more to avoid the massive corporate dairy products and some gourmet cheese is always on sale. I checked online and all of the suggestions above are available here, but they seem expensive. For the same price I can get a fancy wedge of aged parm made in Italy, or slices of cheddar from a small Cali dairy that prides itself on happy cows. I'll try the CHAO next, but I have my doubts.

The vegan cheese I tried was Daiya. It was comically bad. You may have noticed I'm a budget conscious shopper. Not so with Dairy. I'll spend more to avoid the massive corporate dairy products and some gourmet cheese is always on sale. I checked online and all of the suggestions above are available here, but they seem expensive. For the same price I can get a fancy wedge of aged parm made in Italy, or slices of cheddar from a small Cali dairy that prides itself on happy cows. I'll try the CHAO next, but I have my doubts.
Living in SoCal vegan options are abundant. Every vegan cheese I’ve been exposed to has been vile. But cheese falls under the I don’t get trying to replicate it category for me. I’ll check this stuff out, but share your doubts.

You soon will
Prepped correctly, tofu is really good. Seitan is so-so. I’d avoid manufactured faux meats.

Yeah, I can't imagine manufactured meat being good for you. What are the sodium levels in these things?

If given a choice between a spicy black-bean garden burger and an Impossible Burger, I'm taking the black-bean patty every day of the week. Though I'm sure they may not be great for us either, but still....I'm out on meat made in a lab.

Living in SoCal vegan options are abundant. Every vegan cheese I’ve been exposed to has been vile. But cheese falls under the I don’t get trying to replicate it category for me. I’ll check this stuff out, but share your doubts.

My wife makes cashew cheese and it's......it's not really even close to a substitute. I do think vegans are getting closer and closer to replicating "the real thing" with plant based cheese. This company seems to have some pretty solid offerings, but I haven't tried them: https://www.miyokos.com/

On the weekends, I've been trying out new vegan recipes that I can serve up quick for lunch during the week. I used Tempeh for the first time on Sunday making a vegan chili mac and I gotta say, it turned out really good. I'm eating the last of it today. Filling, delicious and probably cost me all of $20 to make? Think the most expensive item was the tempeh from Trader Joes.

You soon will

Yeah, I can't imagine manufactured meat being good for you. What are the sodium levels in these things?

If given a choice between a spicy black-bean garden burger and an Impossible Burger, I'm taking the black-bean patty every day of the week. Though I'm sure they may not be great for us either, but still....I'm out on meat made in a lab.
In my quick search, black bean burgers have more or equal amount of sodium than impossible burgers

What do people have against cheese? Nothing died to make it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I imagine some folks would counter that the living conditions for animals making cheese are worse than death, but I'm a big time cheese consumer and don't really have a leg to stand on. I do think it's really not good for me, but man.....I could (and have) eat a block of cheese in one sitting.

I imagine some folks would counter that the living conditions for animals making cheese are worse than death, but I'm a big time cheese consumer and don't really have a leg to stand on. I do think it's really not good for me, but man.....I could (and have) eat a block of cheese in one sitting.
Fair enough, I hadn’t thought of that.

I’m the same way man. Since I started smoking cheeses I have to really watch myself or I’ll just put it away for days

I’m the same way man. Since I started smoking cheeses I have to really watch myself or I’ll just put it away for days

Man, that sounds delicious!

And I'm making a blanket statement based on not much information about dairy farms and the production of cheese. My wife can go on for hours about how cow milk production is cruel and inhumane, but it's not like she's visited these farms (creameries? What do you call a cheese factory?).

One of our partners lives in Jamaica and has a goat farm where she produces various products from goat milk. She's treats her goats very well.

Since I started smoking cheeses
Tell us more about this please
I bought a tube like this one

Pack it full of pellets, then light the end with a torch and let it burn for 5 mins then blow it out. Put the end cap back on and lay it on its side and it smolders and smokes for 4 hrs. I lay it on the bottom my old upright propane smoker. I flip my cheese every half hour and smoke it for 3-4 hours.

Cooper sharp
Horseradish
Pepper jack
Baby Swiss …..

So good

Last edited:
Since I started smoking cheeses
Tell us more about this please
I bought a tube like this one

Pack it full of pellets, then light the end with a torch and let it burn for 5 mins then blow it out. Put the end cap back on and lay it on its side and it smolders and smokes for 4 hrs. I lay it on the bottom my old upright propane smoker. I flip my cheese every half hour and smoke it for 3-4 hours.

Cooper sharp
Horseradish
Pepper jack
Baby Swiss …..

So good
If you need anyone to sample, let me know :)

Cheese is laden with unhealthy saturated fat, and fairly high in salt as well. And a high percentage of the planet is lactose intolerant, suggesting humans didn’t evolve to drink cow’s milk. That said, the overall health effects of dairy are inconclusive. Sardinians consume a lot of goat’s milk/cheese, the only Blue Zone to include animal products as a significant food source in their diet.

But the dairy industry is quite cruel. Female cows are repeatedly impregnated to ensure they produce milk, and their calves are taken from them at birth. Male calves are the major source of veal, whose production ain’t exactly a picnic. And dairy cows live shortened lifespans as a result of their service. So yes, unnecessary deaths result from dairy production.

But cheese is yummy. Along with eggs, one of the major challenges to veganism imo. Agree with those suggesting Chao and Follow Your Heart as the better vegan cheese offerings.

My wife makes cashew cheese and it's......it's not really even close to a substitute. I do think vegans are getting closer and closer to replicating "the real thing" with plant based cheese. This company seems to have some pretty solid offerings, but I haven't tried them: https://www.miyokos.com/
She’s the first person I thought of- I have her cookbook/cheesebook from a brief, 6-month foray into veganism a while ago. Some of her stuff is the most palatable “fake cheese” I’ve ever had. But let’s be real- there’s no substitute for real cheese.

Just like meat. If you want it and like it- just eat the real thing. Just make informed, conscious decisions about your food and you’ll be better off in the long run.

Man, that sounds delicious!

And I'm making a blanket statement based on not much information about dairy farms and the production of cheese. My wife can go on for hours about how cow milk production is cruel and inhumane, but it's not like she's visited these farms (creameries? What do you call a cheese factory?).

One of our partners lives in Jamaica and has a goat farm where she produces various products from goat milk. She's treats her goats very well.
Plus, goat and sheep cheese is supposedly much healthier for you, too since it’s not Casein-A2 protein, like cow’s milk. Much less inflammatory response in the body and significantly less damage to the gut mucosa and microbiome.

Made this last night and it was really good, we backed off the vegan butter to two tbsp (Miyokos brand discussed up thread), used light coconut milk and air fried the tofu without oil, all in the name of trying to balance the macros better, I'm trying to eat about 30% of my calories from protein.

We divided it into three servings which came out as 467 calories - 25g protein, 27g fat, 34g carbs.

It was a very strong flavour, I loved it, Mrs. NV almost found it too strong.

Humans drinking cows milk remains very weird and kind of gross to me but I still love real dairy cheese, cognitive dissonance is fun!

I think there a lot of very good vegan fetas, parmesans and soft cheeses in general but they definitely haven't cracked the code on cheddar.

Well, I spent yesterday in LA with my carnivore buddy and I made it. 20 days, no meat. We went to a funky beer bar called Boomtown that doesn't serve food. It schedules highly regarded food trucks. Yesterday was Wing Man. My buddy slurped on over a dozen wings. I ate cole slaw. The late night drive home by a dozen open in n outs was successful, but I felt some weakness. I live in a town without one and it's kind of a tradition for citizens of the this barren town to get it when we drive by. A strawberry guava spinach smoothie and fifty handfuls of sunflower seeds got me home a vegetarian.

Well, I spent yesterday in LA with my carnivore buddy and I made it. 20 days, no meat. We went to a funky beer bar called Boomtown that doesn't serve food. It schedules highly regarded food trucks. Yesterday was Wing Man. My buddy slurped on over a dozen wings. I ate cole slaw. The late night drive home by a dozen open in n outs was successful, but I felt some weakness. I live in a town without one and it's kind of a tradition for citizens of the this barren town to get it when we drive by. A strawberry guava spinach smoothie and fifty handfuls of sunflower seeds got me home a vegetarian.
I visited a couple breweries in Toronto on Saturday and both had great veg options. Left Field obviously just uses a vegan mayo as their base, so their cole slaw, potato salad and most of their dips were vegan by default.

They have an extensive hot dog menu (ball park theme) and had veg options for all of them. I opted for just the veggie chili. It was good and filling.

Then we went to Blood Brothers and two of their five taco options were veg. I sometimes loosen up my standards when I'm drinking but the tofu tacos sounded the best of the bunch (came with pickled onions, dukkah, hot sauce and tahini) so I went with them and they were fantastic.

These researchers have a serious beef with red meat studies
Saying something over and over again doesn’t make it true. Or does it? A psychological theory known as the “illusory truth effect” claims that people tend to believe information more after repeated exposure. The more and more they hear it, the truer it feels.

One such claim, that “red meat is bad for your health,” has been a steady drumbeat throughout the health and wellness industry for decades. However, a systematic review in Nature Medicine points out several weaknesses in the research supporting this claim.

The studies are mostly observational
While observational studies can provide helpful insights, these types of studies are very limited in the ability to prove one thing causes another. They are often filled with various assumptions and confounding variables that can distort the supposed cause-and-effect relationship.

When trying to find a causal link between two variables, the best option is a randomized clinical trial in which participants are randomly assigned to a control or experimental group (and aren’t told which one they are in). For ethical reasons, that is not possible to do here.

The studies often involved self-reporting
Many of these studies relied on participants to report on their own eating habits, which is rarely done accurately (or honestly). Do you remember what you ate for dinner last week? When you ordered steak and eggs at the diner on Sunday, did you really bring the food scale with you? Or did you eyeball it? People cut corners, and our memory is not as good as we think it is.

And who among us is prepared to disclose our secret “midnight ice cream” habit to a research team?

More research is needed to prove causation
While there is some evidence that eating unprocessed red meat is associated with increased risk of disease incidence and mortality, it is weak and insufficient to make stronger or more conclusive recommendations. More rigorous, well-powered research is needed to better understand and quantify the relationship between consumption of unprocessed red meat and chronic disease

Causation is not the same as correlation.

Humans drinking cows milk remains very weird and kind of gross to me but I still love real dairy cheese, cognitive dissonance is fun!

I think there a lot of very good vegan fetas, parmesans and soft cheeses in general but they definitely haven't cracked the code on cheddar.
“You know who drinks milk? Kittens and perverts.”

Saying something over and over again doesn’t make it true. Or does it? A psychological theory known as the “illusory truth effect” claims that people tend to believe information more after repeated exposure. The more and more they hear it, the truer it feels.

One such claim, that “red meat is bad for your health,” has been a steady drumbeat throughout the health and wellness industry for decades. However, a systematic review in Nature Medicine points out several weaknesses in the research supporting this claim.

While observational studies can provide helpful insights, these types of studies are very limited in the ability to prove one thing causes another. They are often filled with various assumptions and confounding variables that can distort the supposed cause-and-effect relationship.

When trying to find a causal link between two variables, the best option is a randomized clinical trial in which participants are randomly assigned to a control or experimental group (and aren’t told which one they are in). For ethical reasons, that is not possible to do here.

Many of these studies relied on participants to report on their own eating habits, which is rarely done accurately (or honestly). Do you remember what you ate for dinner last week? When you ordered steak and eggs at the diner on Sunday, did you really bring the food scale with you? Or did you eyeball it? People cut corners, and our memory is not as good as we think it is.

And who among us is prepared to disclose our secret “midnight ice cream” habit to a research team?

While there is some evidence that eating unprocessed red meat is associated with increased risk of disease incidence and mortality, it is weak and insufficient to make stronger or more conclusive recommendations. More rigorous, well-powered research is needed to better understand and quantify the relationship between consumption of unprocessed red meat and chronic disease

Their conclusion is still:

In other words, given all the data available on red meat intake and risk of a subsequent outcome, we estimate that consuming unprocessed red meat across an average range of exposure levels increases the risk of subsequent colorectal cancer, breast cancer, IHD and type 2 diabetes at least slightly compared to eating no red meat.

The issues they outline are real and the same as those that exist for the alcohol thread that inspired this one (self reporting, lifestyle factors etc)... but in both instances the questions surround the scale and scope of the level of risk, not whether it exits.

You see this a lot in the reporting of "X number of drinks more than doubles your risk of cancer!!!" and then you read the report and it's increased from 1.17 to 2.34 percent or something like that and then you make the individual decision whether that's a risk worth taking or not.

Their conclusion is still:

In other words, given all the data available on red meat intake and risk of a subsequent outcome, we estimate that consuming unprocessed red meat across an average range of exposure levels increases the risk of subsequent colorectal cancer, breast cancer, IHD and type 2 diabetes at least slightly compared to eating no red meat.

The issues they outline are real and the same as those that exist for the alcohol thread that inspired this one (self reporting, lifestyle factors etc)... but in both instances the questions surround the scale and scope of the level of risk, not whether it exits.

You see this a lot in the reporting of "X number of drinks more than doubles your risk of cancer!!!" and then you read the report and it's increased from 1.17 to 2.34 percent or something like that and then you make the individual decision whether that's a risk worth taking or not.
In the quote you used it uses the phrases "given all the data available" and "we estimate that":
In your comments you point out that there is no question that the issues outlined exist:
In the OP you say the same thing:
We know that meat consumption is linked to heart disease, cancer, stroke, shorter life span etc... but we mostly consume it anyway

To say that "we estimate that" is not saying that it is a fact. I just want to give readers the other side of the argument. The article I posted starts of with... "saying something over and over doesn't make it true". And I think there are alternative scientific views when it comes to this topic. The whole article was about how "all the data available" is not necessarily reliable.

Made this last night and it was really good, we backed off the vegan butter to two tbsp (Miyokos brand discussed up thread), used light coconut milk and air fried the tofu without oil, all in the name of trying to balance the macros better, I'm trying to eat about 30% of my calories from protein.

We divided it into three servings which came out as 467 calories - 25g protein, 27g fat, 34g carbs.

It was a very strong flavour, I loved it, Mrs. NV almost found it too strong.
How’d you decide 30% protein as your target?

Users who are viewing this thread