What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talk About Meat Consumption (2 Viewers)

How many servings of meat do you eat

• 14+ a week

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • 7-13 a week

Votes: 71 49.3%
  • 3-6 a week

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • 1-3 a week

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • A few per month

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • A few per year

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mostly not at all

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don't eat meat

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
OMG. Maybe because I don’t associate eating with morality. It isn’t important to me that chickens are killed for food. What do you think hunters and gatherers did for food thousands of years ago? It’s in human DNA to eat meat IMO. If someone doesn’t want to eat meat I won’t hold it against them, but spare me any political horse crap about it.
Ummm, I just asked a question. No politics, just curiosity.

@Terminalxylem - question that will be similar to the one I asked about alcohol. I typically do IF - is there any benefit or difference in eating meat in same volume but less meals? Or really could apply to calories, fat, etc. Does it matter if it's spread out vs. concentrated. I voted 7-13 a week but I don't always even eat 13 meals a week much less 13 meals with meat.
Not to my knowledge.

I try to include more meatless meals but I’ll never go 100% meatless. I love different meat meals (steak, chicken parm, burgers, chicken fajitas, etc etc) way too much.

By the way, tofu has the texture of overcooked egg. They need to work on that.

Well....I'd be curious how you are cooking your tofu or how the place that serves you the tofu is cooking it. I'm not a big breakfast eater, usually just an apple or an orange, maybe some peanut butter toast, black coffee. But on the weekends we usually do a big tofu scramble where the tofu comes out tasting like perfectly cooked eggs. YMMV.

I've grilled it, cooked it on the skillet, you name it, I think it's all in the way you prepare it. Buy extra firm, press it down before you cook it, etc....it'll soak up a marinade beautifully too.
Freeze the tofu first. For real. It really improves the texture (not that I mind the texture at all)
I love tofu, we cook with it a couple times a week. The texture of it can be a lot of different things, it can be ground, blended, cubed, frozen, shredded etc... As GM says, it takes on flavour very well, so you can do a ton of different things with it.

I was resistant to it for a long time, probably for macho BS reasons. I remember there was a guy on my dad's baseball team who was vegetarian (30 years ago) and he would bring tofu burgers, etc to the post game BBQ's and get mocked ("tofu boy", etc...)

I think one thing with eating more veg meals is you have to be somewhat capable in the kitchen, seasoning matters. The same can be said for meat of course. My brother would never have a dish with tofu as the main protein but will cook the blandest boneless, skinless chicken breast imaginable and think it's great :shrug:

Ever notice those that don’t get enough protein look pale and sickly?

Like.....Arnold Swartzenegger? He's a vegan. You can get protein without eating animals. :shrug:
Of course you can get protein other than from animals, but do those that don’t eat meat do enough?

Protein Deficiency Symptom #5: Dry/Pale Skin​

Another sign of protein deficiency you might notice is dry, peeling skin.
Normally, skin rashes and flaking skin only occur in instances of extreme protein deficiency, but it is still something to be aware of.

Pale skin may also be a sign of protein deficiency, although it is generally also associated with anemia — an iron deficiency.

Often, anemia and protein deficiency are experienced together, because many of the same foods provide both iron and protein.
Additionally, the body cannot process and utilize iron properly without protein.
I would argue most Americans are overly obsessed with protein and consume way more than is needed for their activity level.
Absolutely. Protein has become the “halo” macronutrient, added gratuitously to nearly everything, even though deficiency is uncommon in this country. Athletes, bodybuilders, the elderly, and those with chronic illness need extra protein, sure. But the vast majority of us are getting plenty, vegans included.

I try to include more meatless meals but I’ll never go 100% meatless. I love different meat meals (steak, chicken parm, burgers, chicken fajitas, etc etc) way too much.

Well....I'd be curious how you are cooking your tofu or how the place that serves you the tofu is cooking it. I'm not a big breakfast eater, usually just an apple or an orange, maybe some peanut butter toast, black coffee. But on the weekends we usually do a big tofu scramble where the tofu comes out tasting like perfectly cooked eggs. YMMV.

I've grilled it, cooked it on the skillet, you name it, I think it's all in the way you prepare it. Buy extra firm, press it down before you cook it, etc....it'll soak up a marinade beautifully too.
Freeze the tofu first. For real. It really improves the texture (not that I mind the texture at all)
I love tofu, we cook with it a couple times a week. The texture of it can be a lot of different things, it can be ground, blended, cubed, frozen, shredded etc... As GM says, it takes on flavour very well, so you can do a ton of different things with it.

I was resistant to it for a long time, probably for macho BS reasons. I remember there was a guy on my dad's baseball team who was vegetarian (30 years ago) and he would bring tofu burgers, etc to the post game BBQ's and get mocked ("tofu boy", etc...)

I think one thing with eating more veg meals is you have to be somewhat capable in the kitchen, seasoning matters. The same can be said for meat of course. My brother would never have a dish with tofu as the main protein but will cook the blandest boneless, skinless chicken breast imaginable and think it's great :shrug:
I make a good tofu taco filling. Extra firm, press the excess liquid out, take a fork and work your way across it to “crumble” it. Make a slurry of your favorite taco seasoning (I make my own), marinate the tofu crumbles, then throw it in the oven and bake until the liquid is mostly evaporated and the tofu has browned and firmed up. It develops a little bite and has a texture similar to ground beef and tastes like whatever seasoning blend it was marinated in. My kids love it and it’s packed with protein and has no added oils. It’s one of my staple holdovers from when I went WFPB

Fish and dairy are probably best kept seperate for simplicity sake.

Why?

Eggs maybe, but Animal flesh is animal flesh.

Always found it funny that some "Vegetarians" like to try to take what they perceive is some sort of moral high ground while still eating fish. 😂

Those who want to do that.... Do your thing, I certainly DGAF. But at least be consistent if you're gonna strut around with your chest pressed out sanctimoniously letting everyone know about what you choose to shove down your gullet. 😜
I never considered morality when deciding what to eat.
Why not?
OMG. Maybe because I don’t associate eating with morality. It isn’t important to me that chickens are killed for food. What do you think hunters and gatherers did for food thousands of years ago? It’s in human DNA to eat meat IMO. If someone doesn’t want to eat meat I won’t hold it against them, but spare me any political horse crap about it.
Political?
PETA?
It seems you’re the one making it political. He asked you a question that directly responded to your post.

If this is a “political issue” to you - that’s on you and that what’s wrong with “politics” now a days. Issues that aren’t political become so because, well….some people are just so afraid of things they don’t understand that they make it a boogeyman.

Last edited:

I make a good tofu taco filling. Extra firm, press the excess liquid out, take a fork and work your way across it to “crumble” it. Make a slurry of your favorite taco seasoning (I make my own), marinate the tofu crumbles, then throw it in the oven and bake until the liquid is mostly evaporated and the tofu has browned and firmed up. It develops a little bite and has a texture similar to ground beef and tastes like whatever seasoning blend it was marinated in. My kids love it and it’s packed with protein and has no added oils. It’s one of my staple holdovers from when I went WFPB
We do the same thing in our house

Well, when I eat a hamburger, I don’t look at it and say, thank goodness it’s not a dog, or my uncle Glenn.
True. But you haven't in fact eaten a dog or an uncle yet (I hope)
I hope not, but you never know at some restaurants.

”There's a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon,
The place that I eat everyday at noon,
They can feed you cat and you'll never know,
Once they wrap it up in dough, boys,
They fry it real crisp in dough.”

Last edited:
I've been a meat every meal person my entire life. I recently started trying to do lunch without meat most days and it's been fine. I work from home so have a pretty solid rotation of meatless lunches now, usually some kind of soup.

I really love a good steak or hamburger, but have toyed with the idea of cutting out red meat outside of the occasional splurge at a nice steak/burger place. Partially for ethical reasons, especially out here in Utah where this is front and center as we're constantly dealing with major drought issues yet we use 70% of our water on growing alfalfa to feed cattle :shock: :shock: :shock:

My only concern with this is my brother did this a few years ago and eventually he went long enough between eating red meat that now if he does eat it on occasion his stomach has a really hard time with it, so he ended up just quitting it entirely.
I've had this happen to me a few times. I don't eat a lot of red meat or pork. A few weeks ago my favorite Mexican food cart was making Birria tacos with the consome and it was delicious. However, I woke up the next morning and felt like had a bad hangover even though I didn't drink. I know my body works overtime over night to process these type of meals instead of spending its resources on rest and recovery. Always have to keep this in mind when it comes to meat.

Maintaining a healthy weight is the most important part of any diet. If you can do that, the actual food you consume is much less important.

The problem is, most people have no ideal what constitutes a healthy weight - American standards are ~20-30 pounds overweight, lest you look “anorexic”.

Here's something not related to what we eat, but it's been on my mind long before you posted this. I'm 6-2. I used to be 6-3. Between 16 and 35, I was super-fit at 195-200 pounds. We're thick genetically, broad shoulders, heavy thighs. At 62, I'm easily maintaining 195-200, but 62 isn't 22. I've lost muscle, strength, etc. Am I fooling myself thinking my HS basketball weight is ideal at 62 with much less lean mass? Should I push lower, try to maintain 180? 185? I see 6-3 prize fighters making weight in the 160s. They're gaunt but look pretty healthy. They dehydrate to do it and walk around in the 180s or more. Curious.

Maintaining a healthy weight is the most important part of any diet. If you can do that, the actual food you consume is much less important.

The problem is, most people have no ideal what constitutes a healthy weight - American standards are ~20-30 pounds overweight, lest you look “anorexic”.

Here's something not related to what we eat, but it's been on my mind long before you posted this. I'm 6-2. I used to be 6-3. Between 16 and 35, I was super-fit at 195-200 pounds. We're thick genetically, broad shoulders, heavy thighs. At 62, I'm easily maintaining 195-200, but 62 isn't 22. I've lost muscle, strength, etc. Am I fooling myself thinking my HS basketball weight is ideal at 62 with much less lean mass? Should I push lower, try to maintain 180? 185? I see 6-3 prize fighters making weight in the 160s. They're gaunt but look pretty healthy. They dehydrate to do it and walk around in the 180s or more. Curious.
You are likely fooling yourself. Your 62-year-old body composition is almost certainly way different than teen/young adult you.

I came to a similar realization last year, at 5-10, 168 pounds. Some people may think that’s already too skinny, but I lost about 15 pounds and feel much better. Either way, BMI in the healthy range.

Last edited:
Alright. Let's grow some of the healthiest superfoods out there in the comfort of our homes.

I just put together the following microgreen kit for my daughter's new apartment.

Four tier shelving with germination trays. 23.99 with 5% coupon atm.
Four T5 led grow light strips. 39.98 with 5% coupon atm.
Amazon came to 63.12

One cedar fence picket. 2.98
Two strong ties. 3.82
Home Depot 6.80

12 quarts organic seed starting mix. 5.97
Walmart

1 LB, 2300 Pea seeds. $8.59
4 oz., 14k Radish seeds. 10.57
4 oz. a billion Salad Mix seeds 6.42
1 oz. a 150k Mix Lettuce seeds 5.56
True Leaf 37.49 (includes shipping)

That's easily a two year supply of seed, though she loves pea shoots like me and they may be gone sooner. Add another $33 of fun stuff from True Leaf for free shipping. I did.

Total $113.38.

The fence picket and ties are for mounting an upside down U-shaped shelf on the top tier for the 4th light. Not necessary, but you get four lights and four trays so. Cut it once at 31" and cut the remainder in half, and you get 20" risers and a shelf for mounting the 4th light. Should look cool if I do a nice job. I'll hit it with the orbital and some poly.
I've never seen a shelving kit as cheap as the one above. It, this thread, and my kid saying she was gonna miss my salads is why I did this. She knows the process well, but will likely screw it up or maybe just be too lazy. It's probably low quality, but decorated with lights and pretty green baby plants, I'm sure it will be nice. I like the Walmart Jiffy seed starting mix better than Home Depot's options here today. You get 4 more quarts for less money. It's organic, and it's very fine textured. I have to screen the big bits out of Home Depot's potting soil, and it is too high in fertilizer. Their seed starter, at least here, is overpriced and not organic.

Who's with me!?

Last edited:
You are likely fooling yourself. Your 62-year-old body composition is almost certainly way different than teen/young adult you.

I came to a similar realization last year, at 5-10, 168 pounds. Some people may think that’s already too skinny, but I lost about 15 pounds and feel much better. Either way, BMI in the healthy range.

#!@#

I expected that reply. I documented fasting down to 185 here about 10 years ago. I couldn't or didn't maintain it. I almost had abs. haha. But that's the thing. 20 yr old 200 pound me had abs. So, I guess I have a project I really don't want. Dieting again. I guess I'll start by eliminating nuts, which are my chips and cookie replacement. Celery and carrots? Yeah, I like crunching on them. Also a high percentage of my lean mass loss has been this last decade from early 50s to 62. Maybe this won't be so hard.

BMI is a "ballpark", or it is for me. I'm 5'8" and at 180 I was "skinny" and had abs. For BMI I was overweight but for me to get below 180 would mean losing muscle. Currently I'm carrying some extra weight though from too many beers in the last quarter of the year so I'm fixing that.

Alright. Let's grow some of the healthiest superfoods out there in the comfort of our homes.

I just put together the following microgreen kit for my daughter's new apartment.

Four tier shelving with germination trays. 23.99 with 5% coupon atm.
Four T5 led grow light strips. 39.98 with 5% coupon atm.
Amazon came to 63.12

One cedar fence picket. 2.98
Two strong ties. 3.82
Home Depot 6.80

12 quarts organic seed starting mix. 5.97
Walmart

1 LB, 2300 Pea seeds. $8.59
4 oz., 14k Radish seeds. 10.57
4 oz. a billion Salad Mix seeds 6.42
1 oz. a 150k Mix Lettuce seeds 5.56
True Leaf 37.49 (includes shipping)

That's easily a two year supply of seed, though she loves pea shoots like me and they may be gone sooner. Add another $33 of fun stuff from True Leaf for free shipping. I did.

Total $113.38.

The fence picket and ties are for mounting an upside down U-shaped shelf on the top tier for the 4th light. Not necessary, but you get four lights and four trays so. Cut it once at 31" and cut the remainder in half, and you get 20" risers and a shelf for mounting the 4th light. Should look cool if I do a nice job. I'll hit it with the orbital and some poly.
I've never seen a shelving kit as cheap as the one above. It, this thread, and my kid saying she was gonna miss my salads is why I did this. She knows the process well, but will likely screw it up or maybe just be too lazy. It's probably low quality, but decorated with lights and pretty green baby plants, I'm sure it will be nice. I like the Walmart Jiffy seed starting mix better than Home Depot's options here today. You get 4 more quarts for less money. It's organic, and it's very fine textured. I have to screen the big bits out of Home Depot's potting soil, and it is too high in fertilizer. Their seed starter, at least here, is overpriced and not organic.

Who's with me!?
I've got some lights that I used to grow. Stuff. With. Is there an indoor game plan.

I've got some lights that I used to grow. Stuff. With. Is there an indoor game plan.

:-) Me too. I still have some vacuum sealed in the freezer.

The entire game plan is indoors. Microgreens do not like the elements. Consistent temps is key to success. 68-72 degrees is ideal. If you read up, you'll see 50% humidity recommended. I'm in the driest of deserts and both my ac and heater make things drier indoors. I think the 50% thing is wrong. At reddit you'll see growers with mold and something called damping off. Both come from too much moisture. I moisten my growing medium before sowing. I mist them after sowing and dust them with the seed starter. Cover the ones that germinate in darkness and ignore them for a couple days. I water very very lightly after they sprout. I use a spray bottle when they're very small, a gooseneck kettle that gives me good control as they get bigger. Once a day or every other day, depends. I've never had mold and they've never damped off. People over water. I've left the lights on a timer and left them for up to a week only to come home to a healthy harvest. I mist them again a little as they approach harvest. It seems to keep them more vibrant, but ultimately, they create their own humidity, and need little to no water for their very short life.

#!@#

I expected that reply. I documented fasting down to 185 here about 10 years ago. I couldn't or didn't maintain it. I almost had abs. haha. But that's the thing. 20 yr old 200 pound me had abs. So, I guess I have a project I really don't want. Dieting again. I guess I'll start by eliminating nuts, which are my chips and cookie replacement. Celery and carrots? Yeah, I like crunching on them. Also a high percentage of my lean mass loss has been this last decade from early 50s to 62. Maybe this won't be so hard.
Although calorically dense, nuts are extremely nutritious. They’re also associated with longevity, a big part of the diet of Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda, the US Blue Zone.

BMI is a "ballpark", or it is for me. I'm 5'8" and at 180 I was "skinny" and had abs. For BMI I was overweight but for me to get below 180 would mean losing muscle. Currently I'm carrying some extra weight though from too many beers in the last quarter of the year so I'm fixing that.
There are certainly people whom BMI fails due to excess muscle, but they are a small minority.

Surprisingly, on a population level, BMI has been shown to underestimate obesity/adiposity.

Well, I eat a ton of turkey and chicken. Mix in fish, pork and beef. A lot of salads, some veggies, some fruit. I should go more plant based but a) I crave protein, always have. And can’t eat Beyond burgers etc as the salt content spikes my BP. Nurse told me those things are sodium bombs and to stay away. Should just go Mediterranean. That is the best diet. But that much fish just isn’t appealing to me. And I balloon eating a bunch of starch/carbs. So I eat more meat than I probably should. Especially with my heart history (though my LDL is about 50)

There are certainly people whom BMI fails due to excess muscle, but they are a small minority.

Surprisingly, on a population level, BMI has been shown to underestimate obesity/adiposity.
I used to be about the same height (I've shrunk) at 205 but lean. Just kind of get annoyed when the automated section of the report from the yearly physical says I'm "obese". 😒

Totally off topic, I searched on Tai Chi and you came up. 🙂 Want to start that but the only thing I found and here is a class at noon. Hopefully I can fit that in...

For the fans of the Mediterranean Diet, is there a book that's seen as the definitive guide for it?

I don't think so. I think the research was heavily reported, and it turned into a bunch of cookbooks. My sis lives by America's Test Kitchen's.

I like science and read Dr. Masley's The Mediterranean Method. His focus on low-glycemic dieting caught my attention. It's a good read. Diabetes is in my genes. I was pre-diabetic 100 pounds ago.
My son is diabetic.
We eat a ton of meat. More fruits n veggies than normal. Very little bread, if any, then almost like a bread cheat day and we eat a lot.

I had a wheat belly or yeast belly and lost 40 pounds.

I have beet capsules. I put coconut oil in coffee. (Both for family history of heart issues)

We both had great doctors appointments recently. Blood drawn, check for everything...detailed.

I think like a third grade picture where the five food groups are listed and there's a celery stalk with a cape. (Hope you've seen that pic 🙃 ) The fruits n veggies are magic. Good things happen when you eat a lot of them- not counting servings but whoa you ate all that?

Neither doctor would agree other than to say ya can't go wrong eating a lot of veggies. Had to go over the sugar in fruit with the endocrinologist.

I've read a lot of concerns of a lot of foods and red meat always catches my eye. We eat plenty but if wings are on sale I'm going w chicken.

I'm riding this til I get a bad report from a doc.

Unsure if this helps the thread at all just fwiw. Prediabetic, I definitely recommend trying to cut out gluten products bread products because it really wasn't that difficult.

I was pre-diabetic 100 pounds ago.

Unsure if this helps the thread at all just fwiw. Prediabetic, I definitely recommend trying to cut out gluten products bread products because it really wasn't that difficult.

Good post. My pat comment here is for people to find what works for them. We're all different. I am no longer pre-diabetic. I avoid bread, pasta, rice, sweets and sweeter fruit. I could list a few more, but yeah, I'm a little carb-phobic. Still, pizza and tortillas are eaten weekly. This thread has me cutting back on red meat, well meat in general. The current leftovers I need to get through is a meatless red beans and riced cauliflower. I grilled portabellas as a meat substitute. I miss the andouille, but it is what it is and it is pretty derned good.

eta: i was prediabetic 100 lbs ago, not joe.

Reactions: Bri

I miss the andouille, but it is what it is and it is pretty derned good.
Traditional Andouille would be hard to replicate in a plant based version because it's made of the digestive tract (stomach and small intestines) of the pig but in general I find sausage flavours and textures among the easiest to reproduce and replicate because they're traditionally not made with great meat anyway and it really is all about the smoking, seasoning and flavouring.

I'll probably try this recipe next weekend. I know the seitan/vital wheat gluten will be a non starter for a lot of people in here but the nutritional facts on these "sausages" (252 calories, 35g protein, 13 g carbohydrates, 6g fat) are pretty great.

Good post. My pat comment here is for people to find what works for them. We're all different. I am no longer pre-diabetic. I avoid bread, pasta, rice, sweets and sweeter fruit. I could list a few more, but yeah, I'm a little carb-phobic. Still, pizza and tortillas are eaten weekly. This thread has me cutting back on red meat, well meat in general. The current leftovers I need to get through is a meatless red beans and riced cauliflower. I grilled portabellas as a meat substitute. I miss the andouille, but it is what it is and it is pretty derned good.

Do you like any of the vegetarian-ish meat substitutes? I wasted a lot of money trying just about everything and didn't like em.
Vegan and vegetarians on FB claim every one is good and have an odd defensive mindset that I wasn't able to get many tips when I asked.
A lot of the cauliflower flavored to be something else tastes like cardboard to me.

I pretty much switched to "we'll eat a lot of chicken"

Do you like any of the vegetarian-ish meat substitutes? I wasted a lot of money trying just about everything and didn't like em.
Vegan and vegetarians on FB claim every one is good and have an odd defensive mindset that I wasn't able to get many tips when I asked.
A lot of the cauliflower flavored to be something else tastes like cardboard to me.

I don't know how you make cauliflower taste like cardboard unless you don't like the taste to begin with or if you're talking about those god awful cauliflower pizza crusts (which aren't a veg thing but a gluten free thing). These beer braised cauliflower tacos from The Thug Kitchen cookbook are pretty solid - I'd recommend that book all around. It's still cauliflower but the seasoning is very good.

In terms of veg proteins, Tofu will always be king IMO, you just have to find the texture you like. It's different in terms of it initially comes in silken, soft, medium, firm and extra firm and you can change the texture again by marinating, pressing etc or by freezing and thawing and then by how you process or slice it.

I like firm tofu that has been frozen and thawed and then ripped apart into uneven chunks.

I think a lot of people's initial experience (including mine) with tofu is a mostly unseasoned cube in some sandwich wrap as some half assed attempt at proving protein for vegetarians but the reality is if you're halfway decent around the kitchen, it absorbs other flavours incredibly well and you can make it taste however you want.

Additionally, in contrast to the beyond/impossible meats, there's nothing added to it, no chemicals, it's macro stats are fantastic and it's cheap as hell. It took me a while to come around on it and I know there are the "soyboy" slurs out there but once you figure out how you like it, there are so many different ways you can prepare it.

Reactions: Bri

Additionally, in contrast to the beyond/impossible meats, there's nothing added to it, no chemicals, it's macro stats are fantastic and it's cheap as hell. It took me a while to come around on it and I know there are the "soyboy" slurs out there but once you figure out how you like it, there are so many different ways you can prepare it.

I've never purchased tofu for home cooking, but I've had enough in Asian restaurants. It's fine by me. I might experiment with it, but I'm like Da Raiders. I can eat meatless without trying hard to duplicate meat.

Cauliflower is a good example. Long before worrying about meat consumption, I like cutting a thick slab from the center of a head of cauli and grilling it like a steak. But, I do this with butter and Montreal steak seasonings, so... mmm, butter.

I've never purchased tofu for home cooking, but I've had enough in Asian restaurants. It's fine by me. I might experiment with it, but I'm like Da Raiders. I can eat meatless without trying hard to duplicate meat
Tofu is a terrible meat substitute. I love a good tofu, but in general it is it's own thing and doesn't mimic chicken or beef or whatever besides the fact that is just taking the place of those meats

My wife has a bum shoulder so I just made the routine Big Salad that the two of us will eat over the course of the next 4 days. It may be healthy, and it may even taste good, but it takes FOREVER to prep.

My wife has a bum shoulder so I just made the routine Big Salad that the two of us will eat over the course of the next 4 days. It may be healthy, and it may even taste good, but it takes FOREVER to prep.

I sure see myself getting lazy about dishes with a dozen ingredients and kitchen messes. I saw the long list of ingredients in Joe's quinoa salad and thought sure, make me some at your house and I'll devour it, but not here, man. Too lazy. Wedge salads were a brilliant idea. I put the wedge on a bed of my microgreens, dot the plate with some cherry tomatoes, add dressing, maybe some seeds nuts or parm, and done.

I have been a Vegan for over 6 years and would always tell my family something similar. “Wow, this tastes just like the real thing.” My family called me crazy and I realized one of two things. One, maybe I exaggerated because I wanted them to see it wasn’t too hard to give up real meat. Two, maybe I’ve been a Vegan so long I have no clue what real food tastes like anymore. Either way, I stopped saying it. I never got upset about it though.

I would imagine I’ve tried more alternatives than the average person. I will list my personal preferences on what brands I like best below if you’re interested.

Beef and sausage: Impossible foods
Chicken: Daring
Cheese: Follow your Heart
Milk: Not Milk
Seafood: Good Catch
Pizza: Blackbird

I've never purchased tofu for home cooking, but I've had enough in Asian restaurants. It's fine by me. I might experiment with it, but I'm like Da Raiders. I can eat meatless without trying hard to duplicate meat
Tofu is a terrible meat substitute. I love a good tofu, but in general it is it's own thing and doesn't mimic chicken or beef or whatever besides the fact that is just taking the place of those meats
Tofu works better in some stir fry applications and curries as it is difficult to dry out like chicken.

Tofu works better in some stir fry applications and curries as it is difficult to dry out like chicken.
Oh I agree. I wasn't saying it is no good to use, just that don't look for it to replicate taste or texture of beef/chicken/fish/etc

I sure see myself getting lazy about dishes with a dozen ingredients and kitchen messes. I saw the long list of ingredients in Joe's quinoa salad and thought sure, make me some at your house and I'll devour it, but not here, man. Too lazy. Wedge salads were a brilliant idea. I put the wedge on a bed of my microgreens, dot the plate with some cherry tomatoes, add dressing, maybe some seeds nuts or parm, and done.
We don’t follow a recipe. It’s whatever's in the fridge that makes sense.

This salad was simple, it just took a while to clean and chop.
Iceberg, spinach, yellow and orange bell pepper, tomato, carrot, garbanzos, black beans, dried cranberries, walnuts.

Off topic, but I thought about the pic you sent GM. I don't need to see it to know it. I haven't had reason to be that south since my uncle passed a few years back, but man I'd love to eat there again soon. I regret not messaging you the few times I've been. Last time there must have been 15 of us working terminalx's group dining pet peeves. I hope you know how blessed you are. I am currently way too beach deprived.

I make a real nice peanut butter cold brew that uses peanut butter powder.
Tell me more. To be clear, do you make your own cold brew, or do you buy cold brew and add the powder? If the former, do you add the powder to the grounds and let it steep, or do you add the powder right before drinking?
Make our own cold brew. Powder gets added to the liquid coffee when you are ready to drink it and it gets shaken.
Shopping list updated.
Can confirm that this is tasty. Surprisingly, peanut butter powder works well with cocoa powder too.

Current blend is 2 oz heavy cream, 10 oz brew (rocking a Community brand Mardi Gras King Cake this week), 1 tsp peanut butter powder, 1 tsp cocoa powder into a 16 oz Mason jar (stirred not shaken), and then a handfull of ice cubes to top it off. Later at the office (like right around 10:30 am, after 2 hots), it's shaken and not stirred, and then it's hello world.

Last edited:

Off topic, but I thought about the pic you sent GM. I don't need to see it to know it. I haven't had reason to be that south since my uncle passed a few years back, but man I'd love to eat there again soon. I regret not messaging you the few times I've been. Last time there must have been 15 of us working terminalx's group dining pet peeves. I hope you know how blessed you are. I am currently way too beach deprived.

Yo, I'm not 100% where you are but....I'm rolling the fam through Cali this summer. Lassen Volcano NP, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Big Bear, Joshua Tree....for some reason I picture you somewhere in that ginormous region, maybe closer to Salton Sea or?

Anyhow, maybe I can roll down the window and wave or we can share some greens on a big rock or something.

Yo, I'm not 100% where you are but....I'm rolling the fam through Cali this summer. Lassen Volcano NP, Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Big Bear, Joshua Tree....for some reason I picture you somewhere in that ginormous region, maybe closer to Salton Sea or?

Anyhow, maybe I can roll down the window and wave or we can share some greens on a big rock or something.
High desert. Sequoia is the closest on your list and not too close. If you get the coast in, camping at San Onofre is pretty awesome. You camp on a cliff above the Pacific with many trails winding down to a huge sweet beach. Hot surfing spot. Retired nuke plant looking over everything. Pretty far south but a short drive to a place called Javier's that probably has amazing vegan Mexican. ;)

eta: if this is your first time seeing the giant sequoias, you're in for a treat. Amazing place. I could be talked into the drive and I know a great (much more affordable for your crew!) Mexican place in the town of Three Rivers, which is kind of the gateway to the park. DM me when your plans are set. I neeeeed non desert nature.

High desert. Sequoia is the closest on your list and not too close. If you get the coast in, camping at San Onofre is pretty awesome. You camp on a cliff above the Pacific with many trails winding down to a huge sweet beach. Hot surfing spot. Retired nuke plant looking over everything. Pretty far south but a short drive to a place called Javier's that probably has amazing vegan Mexican. ;)

THIS is the info I'm looking for! Thanks buddy! I'll still wave when I roll past.

:kicksrock:

Oh Hey Now! Back on topic. This carnivore is on day 11 of vegetarian, not vegan, eating. No issues. Don't miss a thing. Enjoying the soup. Kind of fun reading about recipes, but I'm not being adventurous. My college gf was polish. She made something called Polish Kraut. Pretty basic cabbage stew made with a variety of rehydrated mushrooms, potato, carrots, and her dad's homemade smoked polish sausages. I'm slow cooking it now without the sausage but with a little smoke and sausage spices. Smells like hers did.

I feel so ethical. Not eating mistreated animals and saving the planet all while dropping a couple more pounds. :)

Look, I don't purport to be any sort of expert on California geography or anything, but where are you in relation to ANY of the places I mentioned? I'll still wave, but you're WAY west of where we'll be. I picture Chaos far more inland and much less beachy.

I'll be going plant based for 6 weeks at the end of March. No booze either. I don't

Look, I don't purport to be any sort of expert on California geography or anything, but where are you in relation to ANY of the places I mentioned? I'll still wave, but you're WAY west of where we'll be. I picture Chaos far more inland and much less beachy.

My advice for San Onofre was thinking of Da Raiders.

😂. I’m 1.5 hours away from big bear and my sister recently moved there. I’d love to see the GMs. The sequoias are amazing. The walk in camp sites are way bigger than most

Oh Hey Now! Back on topic. This carnivore is on day 11 of vegetarian, not vegan, eating. No issues. Don't miss a thing. Enjoying the soup. Kind of fun reading about recipes, but I'm not being adventurous. My college gf was polish. She made something called Polish Kraut. Pretty basic cabbage stew made with a variety of rehydrated mushrooms, potato, carrots, and her dad's homemade smoked polish sausages. I'm slow cooking it now without the sausage but with a little smoke and sausage spices. Smells like hers did.

I feel so ethical. Not eating mistreated animals and saving the planet all while dropping a couple more pounds. :)

I've been trying to find different vegan recipes to try out on weekends when I have time to tinker. I've got West African Peanut Stew dialed in 100%. Made it 4 times. So good. Did a vegan chili for Super Bowl which was good, but TOO hot (the Chipotle in Adobe killed me). This weekend I'm going with vegan chili mac.

Next month, I'll be going 6 weeks no meat no booze so I'm dialing in recipes I can make for multiple meals - work lunch, quick meals, etc.

😂. I’m 1.5 hours away from big bear and my sister recently moved there. I’d love to see the GMs. The sequoias are amazing. The walk in camp sites are way bigger than most

My cousin has a house in Big Bear...got it for a few nights in July. LETS GET NUTS!!!!!

eta: if this is your first time seeing the giant sequoias, you're in for a treat. Amazing place. I could be talked into the drive and I know a great (much more affordable for your crew!) Mexican place in the town of Three Rivers, which is kind of the gateway to the park. DM me when your plans are set. I neeeeed non desert nature.
I’m familiar with Javier’s. I’ve met Javier and Javier jr a few times. It’s not my favorite Mexican food. The tiny OG location in Laguna was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread