What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Target Shoppers Credit Card Breach (1 Viewer)

Oof. How many people with just 1 credit card are going to end up with it canceled and no credit cards just days before Christmas?

On Thursday, Target told customers in an alert on its website that the criminals had stolen customer names, payment card numbers, expiration dates and their CVV security codes.
How do they get the CVV code when a customer swipes their card? Is it standard that this is sent each time you use your card?

Looks like my wife used our CC on the 15th.

Great. I was just talking to the wife about Target last night because we have a second checking account for "spending money" that I allowed her to link the target card 5% thing to but I refused to let her connect it to the main bank account, and last night after talking about some logistical things with the duel accounts I told her to go ahead and hook up the main account.

Yeah, that's not happening now.

Wonderful. Bought an iPad there on black Friday. Probably the first time I'd set foot in a Target in at least a year, and this happens. :thumbup:

I use the Target 5% Red Card that's tied to a bank account. The card is not connected to a debit or credit card outside of that relationship. So if the hackers got my Target card information, they could only use it at Target, right? Further, it's card information, not the underlying bank account.

Getting a new Red Card = no big deal.

Changing my bank account #, MAAAAAAAAAAJOR pain in the ###.

I need answers.

This tech data breach stuff is getting close to clear and present danger status, right? How much confidence can a polity have in an economy where everything they own could be wiped clean when they buy a gallon of milk for their kids? We need Tom Clancy................... ok, whoever took over the cybersecurity books that Clancy put his name on to call up the NSA and make a deal somehow. And then call John McClain for some muscle to back them up. He's already taken down a tech terrorist, so we are good there.

Let's get on this people.

On Thursday, Target told customers in an alert on its website that the criminals had stolen customer names, payment card numbers, expiration dates and their CVV security codes.
How do they get the CVV code when a customer swipes their card? Is it standard that this is sent each time you use your card?

CVV is a secret number imbedded in the magnetic strip. Visa calls the 3 digit code on the back a CVV2. Different things.

I use the Target 5% Red Card that's tied to a bank account. The card is not connected to a debit or credit card outside of that relationship. So if the hackers got my Target card information, they could only use it at Target, right? Further, it's card information, not the underlying bank account.

Getting a new Red Card = no big deal.

Changing my bank account #, MAAAAAAAAAAJOR pain in the ###.

I need answers.
I am in the exact same boat as you.

This tech data breach stuff is getting close to clear and present danger status, right? How much confidence can a polity have in an economy where everything they own could be wiped clean when they buy a gallon of milk for their kids? We need Tom Clancy................... ok, whoever took over the cybersecurity books that Clancy put his name on to call up the NSA and make a deal somehow. And then call John McClain for some muscle to back them up. He's already taken down a tech terrorist, so we are good there.

The bolded is a bit dramatic. Zero fraud liability.

My Chase number got stolen again last week. 3rd time in about a year. It has almost become routine. I just use my amazon card as a backup.

I NEVER use my debit card. I figure that one is tied directly to my credit union, so I don't want to risk the numbers getting skimmed. Credit card companies, just immediately debit your account with no questions.

CVV is a secret number imbedded in the magnetic strip. Visa calls the 3 digit code on the back a CVV2. Different things.
OK, thanks. For some reason, I thought the CVV was an extra security step for online purchases. Something in case someone was trying to use your information, without having the actual card.

I did call my bank. Just to confirm, the Red Card Debit is linked directly to your checking/savings account, not to any debit card. This means they can't just walk up to an ATM and withdraw funds. So if you use a Redcard at Target, you will need to get a new Redcard (if you choose to) but you don't need to do anything with existing Visa/Debit Cards as the Red Card breach did not provide any access to that information. Unfortunately, best of luck trying to get through to Red Card Services right now.

I did call my bank. Just to confirm, the Red Card Debit is linked directly to your checking/savings account, not to any debit card. This means they can't just walk up to an ATM and withdraw funds. So if you use a Redcard at Target, you will need to get a new Redcard (if you choose to) but you don't need to do anything with existing Visa/Debit Cards as the Red Card breach did not provide any access to that information. Unfortunately, best of luck trying to get through to Red Card Services right now.
I'm not too worried about the potential threat of having the Target Card numbers stolen. Just going to monitor it, and may not even worry about replacing it. If anyone will quickly refund you for suspicious activity it would be Target since they were the ones responsible. The thieves were likely grabbing everything, but were more concerned with other cards.

Target will likely be verifying all card purchases with a photo ID. So if someone has a phony red card with a stolen number they would also need a fake ID. The only other place to use it would be Target online, and I am sure all kinds of red flags would get thrown up if an order was shipping to another address.

How much confidence can a polity have in an economy where everything they own could be wiped clean when they buy a gallon of milk for their kids?
I would have thought in 2013 people would have "everything they own" in at least 3-4 different places.
I don't think it is so much of it being wiped clean, it just is the pain of having to replace a card at this time of year. Some people may only have 1 card. And if that has to be replaced, it may take a week or so to get a new one. Not a good week for that to happen! And when the bank calls you, you don't have a choice. Happened to me a couple months ago. I have more than 1 card, but it was still a PITA, losing my ATM card due to a F'up by the bank.

No, I'm not a conspiracy type guy, but alot of what our economy is is based on faith and the perception that it all works. IF that starts taking hits..... I just wonder at what point we really need to call Jack Ryan, John McClain, and the rest of them to blow up a few things and say some awesome one liners to protect us.

How much confidence can a polity have in an economy where everything they own could be wiped clean when they buy a gallon of milk for their kids?
I would have thought in 2013 people would have "everything they own" in at least 3-4 different places.
I don't think it is so much of it being wiped clean, it just is the pain of having to replace a card at this time of year. Some people may only have 1 card. And if that has to be replaced, it may take a week or so to get a new one. Not a good week for that to happen! And when the bank calls you, you don't have a choice. Happened to me a couple months ago. I have more than 1 card, but it was still a PITA, losing my ATM card due to a F'up by the bank.
I guess I just assumed most of us would have had some experience similar to that by now.

My post wasn't meant to taunt, it was more surprise because I just wouldn't feel comfortable only using one bank or only having one credit card. I've had bad experiences in the past with both and would never again want to be a the mercy of one entity in the short term. In the end it eventually all gets straightened out but it can be a complete PITA for at least a few days. In particular I've had US Bank decide to deactivate my card multiple times because it found it "suspicious" I used their VISA card at a 7-11 close to my home(and billing address) and shopped at hundreds of times. All for my benefit to "protect me against fraud" I'm told when I need to re-activate that card. Then when I ask them if there isn't any fraud protection on the card maybe I should just cancel it then and there I get the "Well, no, there is fraud protection on the card". So who are they really "protecting" then? And I don't even hate US Bank..... just think they are all the same.

No, I'm not a conspiracy type guy, but alot of what our economy is is based on faith and the perception that it all works. IF that starts taking hits..... I just wonder at what point we really need to call Jack Ryan, John McClain, and the rest of them to blow up a few things and say some awesome one liners to protect us.
No doubt merchants need to better protect credit and debit card data. There are over 1,000 breaches each of the last several years (few as large as this one, though). Even with this, though, everything still "works". Ultimately, credit and debit card fraud is paid by merchants through interchange rates and by the card issuers the take the individual hits (for counterfeit cards, anyway). Consumers end up paying this by less favorable terms on credit cards and checking accounts and high prices at stores. As a percentage of transactions, fraud is quite low. It would have to get significantly worse before the faith in the economy is jepordized.

No, I'm not a conspiracy type guy, but alot of what our economy is is based on faith and the perception that it all works.
But as with anything else in life there will be hiccups. I'm not even sure if it's realistic to expect flawless execution through your lifetime. As with anything else it's probably smart to set up a system of redundancies to be prepared for that inevitable hiccup. You should probably have an uninterrupted power supply to your computer, you should probably have a few gallons of drinking water just in case, you should probably have a second banking account and credit card, etc.

That isn't to say I think the power grid will go off indefinitely, or fresh water will never be available again, or a snafu at the bank will never get resolved. It just makes yourself that much more comfortable when something does happen and you don't have to view it as a crisis.

Let me ask a question:

I used a debit card at Target during the relevant dates. Is it a certainty that I must change out the debit card? There's no doubt whatsoever that with the data stolen, a thief can very easily and with no problem rack up charges against my account?

They stole so much data from so many transactions ... is there any "safety in numbers" here? I know for a lot of people, any odds over 0.00% are unacceptable.

No, I'm not a conspiracy type guy, but alot of what our economy is is based on faith and the perception that it all works.
But as with anything else in life there will be hiccups. I'm not even sure if it's realistic to expect flawless execution through your lifetime. As with anything else it's probably smart to set up a system of redundancies to be prepared for that inevitable hiccup. You should probably have an uninterrupted power supply to your computer, you should probably have a few gallons of drinking water just in case, you should probably have a second banking account and credit card, etc.

That isn't to say I think the power grid will go off indefinitely, or fresh water will never be available again, or a snafu at the bank will never get resolved. It just makes yourself that much more comfortable when something does happen and you don't have to view it as a crisis.
I've watched Die Hard and read all of the Jack Ryan books. I'm set.

Let me ask a question:

I used a debit card at Target during the relevant dates. Is it a certainty that I must change out the debit card? There's no doubt whatsoever that with the data stolen, a thief can very easily and with no problem rack up charges against my account?

They stole so much data from so many transactions ... is there any "safety in numbers" here? I know for a lot of people, any odds over 0.00% are unacceptable.
If you call your bank they likely will be happy to block your card and order a new one. They might do this anyway or they might just monitor your account more closely (which means unusual valid transactions are more likely to decline and/or you might get some calls).

I used a credit card within the time frame and am just waiting things out for now. You're right, there are safety in numbers. It's impossible to create 40 million counterfeit cards and round up enough people to use them in this short time frame (if ever!).

By the way, if someone is excessively worried about >0% chance of fraud, they shouldn't be using plastic in the first place.

I guess I just assumed most of us would have had some experience similar to that by now.

My post wasn't meant to taunt, it was more surprise because I just wouldn't feel comfortable only using one bank or only having one credit card. I've had bad experiences in the past with both and would never again want to be a the mercy of one entity in the short term. In the end it eventually all gets straightened out but it can be a complete PITA for at least a few days. In particular I've had US Bank decide to deactivate my card multiple times because it found it "suspicious" I used their VISA card at a 7-11 close to my home(and billing address) and shopped at hundreds of times. All for my benefit to "protect me against fraud" I'm told when I need to re-activate that card. Then when I ask them if there isn't any fraud protection on the card maybe I should just cancel it then and there I get the "Well, no, there is fraud protection on the card". So who are they really "protecting" then? And I don't even hate US Bank..... just think they are all the same.
This is why I do as much purchasing as I can on our AMEX. Never had a problem with something like this. And if I do, they send me a new card and we are all set. Nice buffer between the purchase and my bank account. Nice for refunds too!

This is why I do as much purchasing as I can on our AMEX. Never had a problem with something like this. And if I do, they send me a new card and we are all set. Nice buffer between the purchase and my bank account. Nice for refunds too!
That's funny, the exact card I use now as well. All the advantages you mentioned and a bunch of holiday promotions going on now as well. Couldn't be happier since making the switch but in very rare instances I do have to break out the visa because they don't accept AMEX.

unless you used a card that is directly linked to your bank I wouldn't be worried. usually CC companies will cancel your card before any fraudulent transactions process.. and if they do you arnt liable for it

Correct me if I'm way off here. My understanding of what generally happens when a hacker(s) break into a database with this much credit card information, to monetize the information stolen, it is sold to other hackers/criminals on a black market. The person(s) who buy the credit card numbers then either further sell them, or begin to use them to illegally purchase goods. Within that, your card(s) used has to be at its end point and selected amongst all those purchased by the criminal to make fraudulent purchases.

If that's all true, unless they're working really quickly, you should have some lead time to get your cards cancelled if you used them at Target.

This is what happens to a Retail store when they try to do their own financing. Most other retailers have a large bank (Citi, Capital One, etc.) that actually has the expertise to service the card.

:hifive:

My family uses Target for everything. Have 9 charges from there in that timeframe :lmao:

Time to get a new card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had my first experience with this nonsense...got an oil change this morning and went to pay with my Debit card...the transaction was denied a few times...went down to the Citizens Branch nearby to use the ATM figuring it was an issue with the gas station...ATM denied my transaction as well...mild panic began to surface...went to the Teller and she said that the Bank deactivated my card last night due to suspicious activity...I guess some tool was trying to use my info to get a hotel room in Indiana (hopefully this did not inconvenience him)...love the fact they caught this right away and the only issue I have is waiting for the new card to arrive...very relieved...also, real happy with Citizens performance here...I guess they saw a red flag on three $1 PayPal transactions that showed up on my account...I had seen them but didn't think twice because I had been doing some online Christmas shopping and figured they were somehow tied in...and yes I did shop at Target a few weeks ago...almost never go there but they have one in the mall and I got my little nephew a toy there...not sure what the penalties are for this type of stuff but really believe it should be beyond harsh...too much pre-meditation goes into it and while I was lucky it can cause a big burden...

Both my wife and I used debit cards during this time period. Contacted Chase bank and they told me not to be concerned about it, they have measures in place. Watch my statement and if anything does happen, they will reverse the charges.

HOW did this hack take place? Not that I expect a blueprint telling me how to do it myself, but I'm skeptical that 40 million accounts were hacked via several thousand registers. My senses tell me this was an inside job.

Users who are viewing this thread