What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (3 Viewers)

Ilov80s said:
Nimrod Smith is just taking up space on your bench when you could be rostering players actually scoring fantasy points. 
Here are Austin's point totals from last year, game by game, in PPR:

He finished #113 at his position. Does that count as "actually scoring fantasy points"? There were probably 30 people on the waiver wire who finished ahead of him.

He finished #113 at his position. Does that count as "actually scoring fantasy points"? There were probably 30 people on the waiver wire who finished ahead of him.
Oh I know Tavon Austin isn't good but Dallas is just dumb enough to give him the ball 10 times a game. 

You are taking into account that he was hurt last year, right? 

I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape over a thread on a guy who might be able to give us an edge. isnt that what these forums are for? 

if Austin was still on the Rams I'd agree that his prospects are dim. but hes kn a team without any kind of proven weapon in the passing game besides Zeke. 

The thing with austin is, he has the ability to get 100 targets. and anyone getting 100 targets is worth discussing 

Yeah, the saying is used a lot but it's true: if he doesnt work out, hes free. if he does he could be startable. there arent a whole lot of wrs on my ww I can say that about. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Free isn't quite the right word, as there's always the opportunity cost, but I agree he's worth having in some formats. It's a remote chance he becomes relevant but it's an actual chance that doesn't rely on injuries occurring. If your league is that deep and/or you get return yardage he's as good a flier as most. 

You are taking into account that he was hurt last year, right? 
Would you prefer 2016? PPR (way worse not in PPR):

That year he finished #57 at his position. Admittedly that's way better than #113. But it's seven complete stinkers, five mediocre games, and two good games. You can get that off the waiver wire any time. And that's more or less his upside.

I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape over a thread on a guy who might be able to give us an edge. isnt that what these forums are for? 

if Austin was still on the Rams I'd agree that his prospects are dim. but hes kn a team without any kind of proven weapon in the passing game besides Zeke. 

The thing with austin is, he has the ability to get 100 targets. and anyone getting 100 targets is worth discussing 

Yeah, the saying is used a lot but it's true: if he doesnt work out, hes free. if he does he could be startable. there arent a whole lot of wrs on my ww I can say that about. 
I don't get the animosity either sometimes. If you don't like him fine. I don't but i do like that rare wr/rb designation. Until things unfold in Dallas we really don't know how he'll be used for sure. 

That year he finished #57 at his position. Admittedly that's way better than #113. But it's seven complete stinkers, five mediocre games, and two good games. You can get that off the waiver wire any time. And that's more or less his upside.
Two words....

Jeff Fisher 

Im not suggesting he’s going to blow up but he’s on a new team and from all accounts he had a great preseason and is looking to prove himself. 

Hes worth keeping an eye on and possible a deep stash in larger leagues say 16 or more teams. 

Just to pick a random guy, youd agree Ginn Jr is rosterable in every fantasy league, no? heres his 2017 where he finished WR34:

So, using your own grading system

7 "complete stinkers"

6 "mediocre games"

2 "good games"

I guess I shouldnt draft any WRs after the first 25 because I can find that same production on the WW, no? 

Point is, unless you're drafting one of the top 15 or so WRs, you're going to get streaky play

heres another one. This WR finished as a WR2 (WR23) in ppr last year, Agholor.

in reverse order:

4.1 (stinker)

7.5 (stinker)

18.9 (good)

15.4 (mediocre)

27.1 (good)

12.2 (mediocre)

0.8 (stinker)

5.6 (stinker)

5.6 (stinker)

14.5 (mediocre)

15.5 (mediocre)

19.3 (good)

8.8 (stinker)

4.0 (stinker)

7.9 (stinker)

20.6 (good)

8 stinkers, 4 mediocre, 2 good. Are you suggesting no one should roster Agholor?

ETA: No I'm not saying Aystin should be drafted ahead of a wr23, although it does open my eyes to how Chad Johnson-like Agholor was. But if you're going to use a player's inconsistency as a reason to argue against him, perhaps you should look at other more high regarded wrs before you make that argument. 

He doesnt get enough total fantasy points to put him in the top 40. sure, that's a valid argument. He doesnt have a good game every week, that's an argument we can use on almost anyone outside of the top 15 or so.  

He is designated as a RB on myffpc, I ended up picking him up a few times as a late 18/19th round flyer as RB 6/7. See what happens in the first few weeks, hold/drop option to be determined ... 

I guess I shouldnt draft any WRs after the first 25 because I can find that same production on the WW, no? 

Point is, unless you're drafting one of the top 15 or so WRs, you're going to get streaky play
I'm not a big fan of Ted Ginn either. My point wasn't that Austin is streaky. My point is that a couple of good games is Austin's upside. There are waiver-wire players who have better upside, and Austin doesn't produce enough on a regular basis to warrant a roster spot just because of his regular production. 

Guys you can get as cheap as Austin include Brandon Marshall, Travis Benjamin, Kevin White, Willy Snead, Jake Kumerow, etc. These are real WRs who could wind up with 1000 yards if the situation goes right for them.

I'm not a big fan of Ted Ginn either. My point wasn't that Austin is streaky. My point is that a couple of good games is Austin's upside. There are waiver-wire players who have better upside, and Austin doesn't produce enough on a regular basis to warrant a roster spot just because of his regular production. 

Guys you can get as cheap as Austin include Brandon Marshall, Travis Benjamin, Kevin White, Willy Snead, Jake Kumerow, etc. These are real WRs who could wind up with 1000 yards if the situation goes right for them.
There is zero chance Kumerow gets 1000 yards. Same with Marshall and Kevin White.

Snead is a great long shot IMO. Another we should be talking about. 

Travis Benjamin is a decent stash as well. 

No one is talking about any of those at this time mostly, imo, because they dont have the versatility as Austin does, not to mention the wr/rb designation in some leagues is more valuable. Sure, I think some of those see worthy of roster spots as well. maybe we should bump their threads. 

We'll see if it turns out being true, but from the way they described Austin when they acquired him ("web back") it sounded an awful lot like the "Duck-R" position in Chip Kelly/Oregon descended college offenses. They'll line up all over the field including in the backfield on occasion. If he's anything like that, and it is anything like the position is used in those quick, RPO college offenses, there's a good potential for a useful fantasy player here. Definitely worth a speculative add for now.

We'll see if it turns out being true, but from the way they described Austin when they acquired him ("web back") it sounded an awful lot like the "Duck-R" position in Chip Kelly/Oregon descended college offenses. They'll line up all over the field including in the backfield on occasion. If he's anything like that, and it is anything like the position is used in those quick, RPO college offenses, there's a good potential for a useful fantasy player here. Definitely worth a speculative add for now.
Plus, if your league uses return yardage, he will be a returner for Dallas, I assume?

Plus, if your league uses return yardage, he will be a returner for Dallas, I assume?
Unclear, but definitely possible and a good point. The "official" depth chart (which usually is meaningless) lists Austin, but the depth chart from the third preseason game didn't even have him on the 3 deep at either of the returner positions. 

There is zero chance Kumerow gets 1000 yards. Same with Marshall and Kevin White.

Snead is a great long shot IMO. Another we should be talking about. 

Travis Benjamin is a decent stash as well. 

No one is talking about any of those at this time mostly, imo, because they dont have the versatility as Austin does, not to mention the wr/rb designation in some leagues is more valuable. Sure, I think some of those see worthy of roster spots as well. maybe we should bump their threads. 
Well, Kumerow is now on IR, so yes, there's zero chance he gets 1000 yards. I totally disagree about Marshall and White. Those are high-level talents, and Marshall is just two years removed from a 1500-yard season. White hasn't done anything yet but that's due to injury (broken tibia, broken fibula, and broken shoulder, nothing which should present a long-term problem). He's got two mediocre journeymen ahead of him; an injury to Robinson or Gabriel and suddenly you're looking at a legit starting WR with a first-round pedigree. That's way more valuable as a cheap stash than a guy who will never be more than a gadget player.

I think the idea that Austin has "versatility" is completely mythical. He can move quickly in the open field. That's it. He's not a great route runner, he can't break tackles, and he's short and small.

Two words....

Jeff Fisher 

Im not suggesting he’s going to blow up but he’s on a new team and from all accounts he had a great preseason and is looking to prove himself. 

Hes worth keeping an eye on and possible a deep stash in larger leagues say 16 or more teams. 
Looking at the box scores, looks like he's done next to nothing in the 4 preseason games. Are you talking about reports out of the Dallas camp?

Looking at the box scores, looks like he's done next to nothing in the 4 preseason games. Are you talking about reports out of the Dallas camp?
Meant to say training camp. 

Hey, I don’t expect him to light the world on fire. I’m hope he does great but no way am I expecting anything close to 1,000 yards or more than 4 TDs. 

I certainly think he could produce in the right offense but I think often times teams make mistakes by brining in gadget players to run obvious gadget plays. Then they take the gadget player back off the field to run less obvious plays rather than have a guy in there for a series or two in a row and let the plays develope naturally. We shall see how Dallas uses him. 

So is this guy for real or what?  He’s got wr/rb eligibility in yahoo.  Any insight on whether the cowboys plan to use him more moving forward?  Or is he going to always be a 2 target guy?

I hope he gets some snaps in the slot with Beasley gone now. I'd like him as a backup RB too. Give him more snaps as that, and the team will be solid again.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Hes their kick returner until he gets injured. Again. 
Punt returner too. Dak threw some nice deep balls to him too, and some shovel passes. I'd like to see him get like 3-5 snaps at RB per game. Not necessarily touches though. Start with snaps first.

49ers signed WR Tavon Austin.

Austin most recently recorded 19 touches for 247 yards and two scores as Dallas' "web-back" last year. The additions of both J.J. Nelson and Austin more importantly confirm that Deebo Samuel (foot) remains uncertain for the team's season opener on September 13. Perhaps Kyle Shanahan is the key to unlocking 29-year-old Austin's career 6.8 yards per carry as a misplaced receiver through seven NFL seasons.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 14, 2020, 12:05 PM ET

I like this pickup. For one, the Niners are thin as heck at WR, and for two, Austin seemed more talented than he was utilized in DAL. SF seems like a good second chance landing spot for him. He’ll most certainly have opportunity. 

JJ Nelson I’m less optimistic about. 

Not taking this bait again.
Oh I wouldn’t touch him in redraft FF, though I did get him for $1 off the wire in dynasty last September. 

He’s got some talent. Time will tell if he ever applies it. But RL football the Niners are a good landing spot. He’ll get looks in that WR-needy offense.  

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I like this pickup. For one, the Niners are thin as heck at WR, and for two, Austin seemed more talented than he was utilized in DAL. SF seems like a good second chance landing spot for him. He’ll most certainly have opportunity. 

JJ Nelson I’m less optimistic about. 
Fantasy wise, I think this is a meaningless signing, but Austin is still a dangerous player. I could a big play here and there, and a valuable punt returner. 

I agree on Nelson.

The pessimist in me, says signing both means either:

1. Deebo is still pretty far off.

2. Trent Taylor isn't the same after his injuries.

3. Jalen Hurd isn't ready to be a major player.

It could mean none of those things, but it leaves me wondering is all.

Jaguars signed WR/KR Tavon Austin.

Austin most recently appeared in four games for the Packers last year, turning five catches into 20 yards and three punt returns into 14 yards. 30 years old and in the twilight stage of his career, Austin will have to compete to make the 53-man roster on special teams out of camp.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Aug 6, 2021, 2:54 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread