What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Evan Engram, JAX (2 Viewers)

A ways back but I think the first guy that comes to mind is Colston who was a TE his first year then a WR.  In the day, there was talk of Jermichael Finley maybe being classified as a WR because of the % of snaps he lined up as a WR. I'm not saying this should be a huge concern but if you have two TE prospects ranked the same it might be a tie breaker?
Colston was never a TE. That was just yahoo listing his position incorrectly. 

Giants OC Mike Sullivan said first-round pick Evan Engram will be taught to play as a traditional tight end.

It's something Engram very rarely did at Ole Miss, and also not something he's physically built for at 6-foot-3, 234. "He is not a big wide receiver," Sullivan mistakenly insisted. "We do feel comfortable about the things we want him to do when he has his hand in the ground." Added coach Ben McAdoo, "Everything is going to be a challenge (for Engram). He is coming from more of a spread-type offense where he was off the ball a ton." We're not anticipating fantasy relevance from Engram as a rookie.

Source: SNY 
May 12 - 5:08 PM

Hmm, sounds like a downgrade.  
It is a non story. Of course they are going to teach Engram how to play many positions in their offense.

Everything else is just the writers interpretation of this and trying to make it intriguing. Means about as much as them telling us what they had for lunch today.

Evan Engram the Giants' missing piece; Kaepernick fits in Seattle

Excerpt:

It's uncommon for a tight end to be viewed as the missing piece to a championship puzzle, but Evan Engram is the dynamic offensive weapon the New York Giants have desperately needed to make another run at a Lombardi Trophy.

Now, I know it sounds crazy to expect a first-year pass catcher to shoulder a huge burden on an offense that features a two-time Super Bowl MVP in Eli Manning, one of the most electric playmakers in football in Odell Beckham Jr. and a perennial Pro Bowl "chain mover" in Brandon Marshall, but the Giants need their rookie tight end to play like a stud to help the team's stars take their respective games up a notch.

Let me explain.

Every NFL defensive coordinator slated to face the Giants this season will make a concerted effort to neutralize Manning and his top targets. This will ultimately result in double coverage directed toward Beckham, with a few bracket tactics also thrown in Marshall's direction at times. Considering the sterling résumés and impact potential Beckham and Marshall have shown throughout their respective careers, opposing defensive coordinators will attempt to force Manning to depend on his complementary playmakers to move the ball down the field.

"You want to make the quarterback play 'left-handed,' " said a former NFL defensive coordinator. "Ideally, you want to make him lean on his second and third options instead of his primary weapons in the passing game. If he can win with the 'others' making enough plays to beat you, you tip your cap and move on."

With most defensive coaches subscribing to similar theories, the Giants needed their complementary players to emerge as legitimate threats in 2017. Last season, Sterling Shepard snagged 65 passes for 683 yards (10.5 avg.) and eight scores as the Giants' WR2, but teams didn't view him as a dangerous playmaking threat, as evidenced by the lack of double or breacket coverage he faced as a rookie. Now, that doesn't mean opponents didn't respect his talent or game, but they didn't think enough of his big-play potential to map out a plan that completely removed the young pass catcher from the mix.
The same could be said for the tight ends on the Giants' roster one season ago. Will Tye, Jerrell Adams and Larry Donnell combined for just 79 receptions, 609 receiving yards and three scores as the team's "Y" (traditional tight end) targets. Those numbers hardly register a blip on the danger radar, and they're certainly not robust enough to make defensive coordinators overhaul their game plans to better defend the middle of the field. With the Giants' passing game built on quick-rhythm passes designed to attack between the numbers, the lack of production from the tight ends resulted in Manning forcing too many throws to a heavily guarded Beckham.

Looking at Manning's subpar performance in 2016, it is not a coincidence the 36-year-old quarterback only averaged 6.73 yards per attempt, which ranked 25th in the NFL. Despite the presence of Beckham, the Giants' dink-and-dunk scheme didn't deliver many big plays or produce a lot of points due to a lack of playmakers between the hashes. Sure, Shepard was solid in the slot, but the team didn't get enough "explosive" plays from its tight ends and lacked a dominant red-zone threat on the outside. While Marshall's arrival should add some spice to the lineup as a big-bodied pass catcher with a knack for putting the ball in the paint (82 TD receptions in 11 seasons), the team desperately needed to find an electric playmaker to make splash plays over the middle.

That's why I believe Engram is the missing piece to the Giants' offensive puzzle. The 6-foot-3, 234-pound tight end is an athletic freak with 4.42 speed and a 36-inch vertical jump. He enters the NFL after putting the finishing touches on an impressive résumé at Ole Miss as the Rebels' all-time leader in receptions (162), receiving yards (2,320) and TD catches (15) by a tight end. The two-time team captain, who finished with 42 career starts, is a polished tight end with all of the tools to be an impact player in his first season.

"The thing that is really intriguing about Evan is the speed component," Giants offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan recently said during rookie minicamp. "This is a legitimate vertical threat, but he's not just a receiver. ... There is a versatility that he has that we're hoping can create some problems for the defense from a matchup standpoint because of his speed, and because of the way he runs his routes like a wide receiver."

Studying the tape, I was convinced Engram was the most polished route runner of the 2017 tight end class. He exhibits outstanding timing, patience and body control at the top of his routes to create separation from defenders in tight coverage. Engram has a feel for finding voids in coverage but is also crafty enough to win consistently against linebackers and safeties in man-to-man. Given his spectacular combination of size, speed, athleticism and route-running ability, Engram is a "new-school" tight end capable of aligning anywhere on the field, from out wide to in the slot or in a more traditional hand-in-the-dirt position.

Interestingly, the Giants have attempted to downplay Engram's potential as a "big" receiver, but reports out of rookie minicamp suggest the rookie pass catcher is slated to have a big role as a "move" tight end in the team's offense. In the Giants' version of the West Coast offense, Engram will learn the Y and U (flex tight end) positions before mastering other roles. However, the multiplicity of the scheme allows the team to place the Y or U in a number of slot or out-wide positions depending personnel groupings.

For instance, the U lines up opposite the Y or as a wing on the same side. He can also align in the slot or out wide based on the call. Thus, the Giants can position Engram as a receiver by simply calling a designated formation that places him in a displaced position. Considering how each of the Giants' receivers is expected to know multiple positions, the team has the potential to make Engram a Jordan Reed-like playmaker by shuffling the deck with players at different spots on any given play.

For a team that prefers to throw the ball all over the yard (63:37 pass-run ratio in 2016), the Giantsneed their young tight end to eventually command enough respect so defensive coordinators can't double team Beckham (and Marshall) on most downs. If Engram emerges as the Giants' deep-middle threat, he could push them over the top in the NFC East.

Last edited by a moderator:
How'd it go last year? Best defence in the playoffs, wonder why they lost.
It went pretty good (but admittedly he was inconsistent)  - 4,027-26-16

The defense gave up 38 points in that loss. He did turn the ball over twice though on an INT and fumble.

I think Eli qualifies as a "good qb". His o-line was atrocious last season.

Giants first-round TE Evan Engram has been lining up "everywhere" at OTAs.

According to beat man Dan Duggan, Engram played traditional in-line tight end, in the slot, out wide, and even some H-back. While OC Mike Sullivan has said Engram will be taught to play as an in-line tight end, the Giants' best bet to maximize Engram's skill set is to use him to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks and slower linebackers. We doubt Engram provides much from a fantasy standpoint as a rookie, but he has some Jordan Reed to his game.

Source: NJ Advance Media 
May 26 - 9:45 AM

Combo of freakish speed (4.42 one of fastest first rounders ever at TE position?), skill set and game could make him a mash up of Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed. Receiving heavy/friendly aptitude and wheelhouse translates to potentially valuable commodity in a few years (especially in 1.5 PPR positionally boosted scoring formats).

Giants coach Ben McAdoo said the team plans to move first-round TE Evan Engram all over the field this summer.

In addition to his responsibilities at tight end, the Giants also want Engram to be comfortable at receiver and even fullback. McAdoo has liked what he's seen from Engram, praising him for coming to camp prepared. It's clear the Giants want Engram to be involved, though targets could be hard to come by in an offense featuring Odell Beckham, Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard and pass-catching back Shane Vereen.

Source: SNY.com

Jul 30 - 1:05 PM

I'll say it here too, starting to look more like Aaron Hernandez than Jordan Reed.

Tex

What does this mean exactly?
Sorry, I should elaborate a little. AH was moved all around the field i.e. wide out, in-line, in the backfield etc...... They put him in position to create a mismatch and to confuse the defense. Everything I've read since the draft is pointing to exactly that with Engram. It's not Howard or David, it's Engram he's the one TE to grab. He's been lost in the shuffle a bit and pushed back but the signs are pointing to him to be the one to pick in Dynasty Leagues. 

Everyone is comparing him to Reed..............it's A. Hernandez (the player) the he should be compared to IMHO.

Tex

3 standout players at Training Camp (8/15)

Excerpt:

TE EVAN ENGRAM

The rookie first-round pick is becoming a mainstay on this list. Today, Engram and Manning, one Ole Miss alum to another, connected for a green-zone touchdown. Manning fired a pass in the back of the end zone, where Engram shuffled his feet to stay in bounds. A little later, Engram caught another short touchdown, this time from Geno Smith. His production near the goal line has to be promising for the Giants, who finished 19th in the league with a 53.5 touchdown percentage inside the 20.

Are people sleeping on him? Does anyone have a good resource for rookie ADP? We are doing our draft late and I'm curious if he'll last to pick #16 or if I have to grab him at #7. I think he's poised to be Jordan Reed minus the injuries.

Are people sleeping on him? Does anyone have a good resource for rookie ADP? We are doing our draft late and I'm curious if he'll last to pick #16 or if I have to grab him at #7. I think he's poised to be Jordan Reed minus the injuries.
MFL rookie ADP..you can adjust the parameters to fit your league

http://www03.myfantasyleague.com/2017/adp?COUNT=100&POS=*&ROOKIES=0&INJURED=0&CUTOFF=5&FRANCHISES=-1&IS_PPR=1&IS_KEEPER=2&IS_MOCK=-1&TIME=

Engram is listed atop the depth chart but no news has come off the Football Guys newswire on him since August 6th

(Giants | Evan Engram listed as backup    Sun Aug 6, 06:32 PM )

Any updates?

There has been surprisingly little talk about this guy on this board. I know rookie TEs rarely produce their first year but this guy might buck the trend. He's practicing with the first team offense and has had a good preseason. I think theres a chance he turns into a strong 2nd and 3rd passing option for a team that has no real run game.

There has been surprisingly little talk about this guy on this board. I know rookie TEs rarely produce their first year but this guy might buck the trend. He's practicing with the first team offense and has had a good preseason. I think theres a chance he turns into a strong 2nd and 3rd passing option for a team that has no real run game.
I think you can throw out the "But rookie TEs ..." maxim with him. By every report he will be used like a WR more than TE. I think he'll be putting up TE1 numbers by midseason at the latest.  

Ellison should play a lot because he is a good blocker and the Giants tackles are going to need help from him.

What I think this means is that the Giants will play more two TE packages than they did last season and less 3 WR. Engram should still play a lot and when he does he will mostly be used as a receiver.

@Wise Old Owl at least for me everything with Engram has progressed as I expected it to. He has shown himself to be the best fantasy option of a very talented TE rookie class. There hasn't been that much talk about him here because things have gone as predicted months ago.

What I think this means is that the Giants will play more two TE packages than they did last season and less 3 WR. Engram should still play a lot and when he does he will mostly be used as a receiver.
NYG used 2TE 14% of the time last year, ~5% less than the league average. With Engram I think they may be obligated to role it out more.

Evan Engram caught 4-of-5 targets for 44 yards in Week 1 against Dallas.

Engram was expected to have a featured role with Odell Beckham sidelined. He started and made the biggest play of the night, but wasn't targeted in the Giants' only red-zone appearance. Engram has a streamable matchup with Detroit in Week 2.

Users who are viewing this thread