What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE in the 3rd-4th? Benefits vs downside? (1 Viewer)

sho nuff

Footballguy
Ok...typically I am a wait to take a TE.
Drew the 4th pick this year in a redraft...where the league typically drafts pretty heavy RB in the 1st and 2nd rounds.
I expect by my 2nd round pick, the top 3 or so WRs (Chase, Jefferson, Kupp) will be gone with an outside chance Diggs or Davante also gone.

In just about every mock and knowing my league...my 3rd round pick will likely give me the choice of the top TEs (Kelce/Andrews) pick or the next group of WRs if I go RB/RB (which is likely given how I know RBs fly off the board in this league.

So talk me into or out of taking TE in round 3 over the Mike Evans, Lamb group of WRs. Ive basically figured Diggs and Davante may go in the picks in between my 2nd and 3rd round pick.
My hesitancy is in seeing what WRs I would end up with if my first 3 picks do not go WR at all.

The eternal debate.

If it’s a true difference maker: kelce/Andrews/Pitts (jury’s out this year until we’ve seen MM) then it’s worth it.

If it’s not, then I’d rather have a Hock/Goeddart type in the 7th-8th or a Kmet in the 9-10th and stack on RB/WR early.

The other challenge with going elite TE is if a value falls to you at QB (let’s say no one takes one & Allen falls to the end of the 5th) it might be harder to pull the trigger if your roster is RB/WR/TE/WR to that point.

All do-able - but it can be a struggle for depth and quality at key positions. You’re basically committing to zero RB or buying up dead zone guys & hoping you hit, while also potentially being a little weak at WR.

Here it is :hifive:

Not identical, but a lot of the discussion surrounds the big 3, and what comes after. Overall TE strategy, etc.

I think you have to build around your guy.

I'm a Pitts guy, but if I wasn't, I would be a Kmet guy.

Do you think one of the later guys can crash the top 3? If you don't, then get a top 3 guy, knowing it's easier to hit on a WR or RB sleeper

Drew the 4th pick this year in a redraft...where the league typically drafts pretty heavy RB in the 1st and 2nd rounds.
I expect by my 2nd round pick, the top 3 or so WRs (Chase, Jefferson, Kupp) will be gone with an outside chance Diggs or Davante also gone.

In just about every mock and knowing my league...my 3rd round pick will likely give me the choice of the top TEs (Kelce/Andrews) pick or the next group of WRs if I go RB/RB (which is likely given how I know RBs fly off the board in this league.

So talk me into or out of taking TE in round 3 over the Mike Evans, Lamb group of WRs. Ive basically figured Diggs and Davante may go in the picks in between my 2nd and 3rd round pick.
My hesitancy is in seeing what WRs I would end up with if my first 3 picks do not go WR at all.
Superflex? How many teams? I just drafted twice this week. 9th pick (2.04 neither made it back to me in the second, 10th pick TE premium Adams was gone, I took Andrews at 2.03

Last year I went heavy on the Tier 2 TEs (Kittle, Pitts and Hock) and it didn't work out so well. Which doesn't mean it's always a bad strategy; I got snaked on Andrews by one pick, which obviously would have turned out much better.

Still, this year I'm going back to a late-round strategy, though I might be tempted by Kittle if he's still available in the 4th and I don't love the WRs at that spot.

But there's a good chance that won't work either because TE is a wasteland.

Last year I went heavy on the Tier 2 TEs (Kittle, Pitts and Hock) and it didn't work out so well. Which doesn't mean it's always a bad strategy; I got snaked on Andrews by one pick, which obviously would have turned out much better.

Still, this year I'm going back to a late-round strategy, though I might be tempted by Kittle if he's still available in the 4th and I don't love the WRs at that spot.

But there's a good chance that won't work either because TE is a wasteland.
I missed Pitts in the 4th by 1 pick.

It frustrated me and just punted till the end bypassing anyone who wasn’t virtually free. And snagged more RB flyer help in those later rounds.

Sitting with Irv and Logan Thomas. But there’s guys like Hooper, Higbee, Everette, Tonyan… so as the season rolls I hope to find someone to make something work.

60 and .5 chance at a td is all I ask for. Last year I rarely got it. And picked the wrong guy every week.

And a few guys have multiple tight ends so perhaps someone of value gets dropped and I find a Dalton Schultz type player of last year.

Running back and receiver are both deep this year. That sounds strange but with people drafting guys like pollard and dillon as starters, it pushes down the risky guys like Cordarelle and Penny a little more. And receiver goes a mile deep with quality upside.

The other thing is that there's a wide second tier of wr. After the consensus studs - let's call it to There will be leagues where a guy like dj Moore or amon ra goes two rounds ahead of gabe davis or godwin, and vice versa. I have a much stronger opinion on kelce vs goedert than i do on those receivers, so instead of taking my first choice in that tier I'll gladly take the tight end.

Where it gets tricky is when you're choosing between a low end wr1/ good wr2 like Keenan Allen or Michael Pittman vs kelce. For me, i take kelce because i know i can draft upside wrs who can produce at Allen's level if they hit easier than i can throw darts at te and come anywhere close to kelce's production. Those guys don't exist.

The only exception would be if you have very deep starting lineups. Something like 2 rb, 3 wr and 2 flex would make me much more likely to punt at tight end and load up on good players at rb and wr.

I the the 3rd round you're looking at Pitts most likely. In my experience this year Kelce and Andrews are mid to late 2nd rounders. The latest I've personally seen on of them going is Andrews at 3.1.

Took Andrews at 3.10 in Redraft. I truly think that was BPA and think he may be TE1. I love Pitts, but have doubts with Mariota and not sure I'd chase him at current ADP. I just don't see how the situation has improved for him in ATL.

I love Kmet and Ertz at their ADP and that would be my preference if I can't get Kelce/Andrews in the 3rd.

Superflex? How many teams? I just drafted twice this week. 9th pick (2.04 neither made it back to me in the second, 10th pick TE premium Adams was gone, I took Andrews at 2.03
10 team standard league.

I the the 3rd round you're looking at Pitts most likely. In my experience this year Kelce and Andrews are mid to late 2nd rounders. The latest I've personally seen on of them going is Andrews at 3.1.
Possibly...but knowing my league...guys just don't take TEs in the 2nd round. One may go...but not both Kelce or Andrews. It is historically a very heavy RB drafted league and Im pretty sure at least the top 3 WRs...maybe a 4th WR before my 2nd round pick.
Someone else in those first 3 picks may got TE...but doubting I see 2 gone before 3.04.

In a 12 Men local league Kelce fell to 3.2. The other top choices left were Conners, Evans, and Pittman.

The owner that took Kelce got a huge bargain. He might put up WR1 stats this season. It’s a huge advantage in a TE mandatory league.

Pitts fell to me at 4.5 in a 12 team PPR league and that coincides with the hot garbage RB deadzone. Perfect.

If I didn't go Pitts there, it would be one of Goedert/Ertz/Schultz. And if not one of those three, Kmet later.

Pitts fell to me at 4.5 in a 12 team PPR league and that coincides with the hot garbage RB deadzone. Perfect.

If I didn't go Pitts there, it would be one of Goedert/Ertz/Schultz. And if not one of those three, Kmet later.
He went 4.2 in ours and I wanted him bad at 4.3.

I bypassed those other TEs for guys like R Stevenson and Godwin, who I think hold much more value than that tight end crapshoot zone.

I always wait on TE but this year I’m not a big fan of the guys available where Andrews will likely be available in my league, so I plan on taking him if he’s there (deep keeper league).

Plus I hate playing the TE carousel, so I’d like to switch it up this season.

If I’m gonna punt, I’m punting hard and targeting Njoku / Everett / Hooper / Engram.

Despite the BPA crowd, I’ll admit I’m an annual high end drafting TE guy in a start TE must league. Years I don’t, I’m chasing some middling team or TE and that drives me more nuts than doing that with WR3s.

TEs fall off a cliff in tiers, so I’m all over Kelce/Andrews/Pitts if I’m afforded the chance and let some other player hope week to week Tua remembers who Mike Gesicki is.

I'd take Kelce not Andrews in the 3rd. I'd wait for Pitts in the 4th. If Pitts not there, Schultz in the 7th-ish. If Schultz not there, Goedert as late as possible.

Emergency TE committee, Njoku/Engram.
Kelce isn't making it to the 3rd in any draft I've been a part of. Why so low on Andrews? Schultz's secret is out and people are taking him as early as the start of the 6th. I like the idea of Njoku and Engram, but I'm a degenerate gambler and think they're worth the risks if you plan on streaming TEs as a backup plan.

All I mean is that it looks to me like TE is better than some recent years
It seems like this every year though. *this is the year* we’re gonna have depth at TE!

And then we get 2-3 studs, and a bunch of dudes who go 50-60 for 5-600 with 4-6 TD.

Someone like Knox might have double digit TDs without a lot of yards or receptions, someone like Irv might get some yards and receptions wothout a ton of TDs, but it all adds up the same.

In 3 NFC entries l prioritized getting a TE, so I have Waller & Kittle, but in one I have Kmet. I hope it works out - he seems like he could be a high upside dude.

Schilultz & Hock also seem likely to be slightly above the JAG line, but it’s really a crap shoot after kelce & Andrews (until we see what MM can do I’m hesitant to put Pitts there).

Also relevant is the team, and how they prioritize using the TE. I keep reading Miami will be using Gesecki more as a blocker, which seems like such a waste of talent. But that’s the vibe, so that’s how he may be used, killing his FF value.

It makes me wary of a few of the alleged breakout guys, because if the team doesn’t want them to be an integral part of their passing game it won’t matter how good/athletic they are.

It seems like this every year though. *this is the year* we’re gonna have depth at TE!
Couldn’t agree more.

All these guys available in free agency in my league … Irv, Logan Thomas, Hooper, Higbee, Everette, Tonyan, Njoku, Engram.

Reading through these posts… I have a gold mine to choose from at the Tight end position!

I’m so glad I waited!

But, I’ve been fooled by this game before. And I’m feeling like I’ll be fooled by it again.

Grabbing two of these guys. Starting the wrong one week one. One of the other guys blows up week 1. Grab him via waivers or free agent. The next week he does nothing.

What you need at the TE spot if you aren’t getting a top 3 guy is consistency. And that’s really hard to find, and I find it really hard to stream.

1) Huge advantage at TE

2) You get a guy who is talented enough to win you a week

3) set it and forget it. Limits the chances you plug in the wrong TE that week.

4) Saves you FAAB money when you don’t have to stream or find a starter.

5) You can wait till very late to get a back up Instead of spending a couple picks on mid tier guy’s.

6) You don’t have to reach or make tough choices in rounds 6+ to find your probable mediocre starter.

7) Much funner to watch. Nothing worse than seeing your guy go 2/12 yards through three quarters. You pray he can get maybe just one more catch.

8. Their talent is not replaceable in free agency. You can build around them during the year with other positions. If these guy’s go off at the end of the year in big national contests you will be in great shape.

My gut instinct is that it's a good year to target elite TEs because the dropoff looks severe compared to other positions.

Pitts is my guy. Love the idea of basically getting a Pro Bowl type of WR talent, but with TE-eligibility.

Zero confidence in Mariota, but he's such scared money that he may become Captain Checkdown to the benefit of Pitts.

Will say I'm a little worried about Kelce due to a combination of age and the no-Tyreek factor. I think when you look at the KC offense as a whole, the domino effect of losing Tyreek and the danger he brought may influence several of their big pieces. It's probably not a year where I'd be eager to grab Mahomes or Kelce. You're paying for past production when the whole dynamic has actually shifted. You have to account for that. This isn't the same KC offense. The more intriguing buys to me are JuJu and CEH because they may benefit from the change, while the entrenched stars may suffer.

I'd take Kelce not Andrews in the 3rd. I'd wait for Pitts in the 4th. If Pitts not there, Schultz in the 7th-ish. If Schultz not there, Goedert as late as possible.

Kelce isn't making it to the 3rd in any draft I've been a part of. Why so low on Andrews? Schultz's secret is out and people are taking him as early as the start of the 6th. I like the idea of Njoku and Engram, but I'm a degenerate gambler and think they're worth the risks if you plan on streaming TEs as a backup plan.

Andrews numbers were better with Huntley than Lamar. He's also TD dependent(to justify ADP).

I don't hate him, but I don't want him in the 3rd with high ceiling WRs on the board. I have Pitts very close to him and a better value at ADP in PPRs.

No kidding. Went 1.14 in our local and rarely see him last past the couple first picks of the 2nd.

If I can grab Schultz in the 6th, I'm pretty happy. Barring injury, I don't see any kind of drop off and probably have an increase in targets with Cooper gone. Dak loves him

Just never like my team when I take a TE in the first 3 rounds.

Andrews numbers were better with Huntley than Lamar. He's also TD dependent(to justify ADP).

I don't hate him, but I don't want him in the 3rd with high ceiling WRs on the board. I have Pitts very close to him and a better value at ADP in PPRs.
If he stays on pace with what he did with Lamar - he still scores what Kelce did last year and can be had almost 2 rounds later than Kelce. Baltimore is dispersing almost 200 targets with Hollywood/Sammy Watkins gone. Yes, Bateman will be a factor but Lamar trusts Andrews and think he's a steal at the end of the 3rd.

Last year 153 targets was insane but could see him repeating.

If he stays on pace with what he did with Lamar - he still scores what Kelce did last year and can be had almost 2 rounds later than Kelce. Baltimore is dispersing almost 200 targets with Hollywood/Sammy Watkins gone. Yes, Bateman will be a factor but Lamar trusts Andrews and think he's a steal at the end of the 3rd.

Last year 153 targets was insane but could see him repeating.
Andrews played 50+% of snaps in 2020. In 2021 he played 80+%. I could see him out there 90% of the time this year given their lack of receiving options. This should be another big year. He goes about ten picks after Kelce in my leagues.

My gut instinct is that it's a good year to target elite TEs because the dropoff looks severe compared to other positions.
I agree! Also, there seems to be a lot of good choices at WR and RB this year. You can still build a solid squad after taking TE early. That being said, I’m assuming you get Kelce mid second and Andrews and Pitts in the third.,

I think you are throwing a dart at a guy who might be mediocre. A small percentage of folks will get lucky with this years Schultz. Nobody is getting this years Kelce, Pitts or Andrews later in the draft. I wouldn’t reach for a stud TE. If they are gone you can still go another direction and build a nice team. It’s possible to make late TE or streaming TE work. You will need some luck though.

BTW…Their is one late pick who could return massive benefits. I Likely. I think he is gonna be used as a receiver a lot and could be huge if he is asked to be the guy.

I think you take Kelce or Andrews if they are there. 10 team league you have more options on RB/WR after than in a 12 team league. I like the pick. Set that TE for the year & forget it.

There is no depth at TE ever. There may be 1 middle round and 1 late round/undrafted guy that pop but there is not depth. It’s the total opposite. There will be maybe 5-6 TEs that matter this year and the rest will be a useless blob that will randomly score a TD every 3 weeks.

Ive basically figured Diggs and Davante may go in the picks in between my 2nd and 3rd round pick.

If you drew the fourth overall pick, then they'll be gone between your 1st and 2nd round picks. At least I'd imagine. But yeah, back to your questions. I like Pitts as early as late second. I got sniped in Round 3 (2.12/3.1 took Pitts, I had the 3.3) so it can happen. I wouldn't hesitate to pull that third rounder on Pitts if he made it to me. He's lining up, as people have noted, as a WR. Almost always. Mariota will feed him fine, IMO. Set him and forget him this year.

Took Andrews at 3.10 in Redraft. I truly think that was BPA and think he may be TE1. I love Pitts, but have doubts with Mariota and not sure I'd chase him at current ADP. I just don't see how the situation has improved for him in ATL.

I love Kmet and Ertz at their ADP and that would be my preference if I can't get Kelce/Andrews in the 3rd.
Wow and I thought getting Andrews at 3.04 was a good value. 3.10 is beautiful. Everything is lined up for another big year from him. Top option on the passing offense, in his prime at 26 and coming off a three year average that translates to 85/1100/9.5 plus he brings major upside like we saw in 2021. It’s very reasonable to think he outscores the WRs going in that range like AJ Brown, Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, DJ Moore.

Last edited:
I’m not completely convinced you're gonna this years Pitts with Pitts. TBD until I see what MM looks like.
Mariota will feed him fine, IMO

This is what happens when you wake up early on Sunday but not early enough to get the worm.
I ❤️ Pitts and want to have his baby. Just to be clear on where I stand with Pitts.

But this year is very much TBD, and for all the grief I caught last year for taking Pitts in the 5th, it amazes me to see people taking him in the 3rd & reaching for him in the 2nd like it’s cool.

I have MM in that rebuild league, so I’m hoping you’re correct because I want to sell MM for a profit.

Nobody is getting this years Kelce, Pitts or Andrews later in the draft
I’m not completely convinced you're gonna this years Pitts with Pitts. TBD until I see what MM looks like.
True!

Delanie Walker was a top 6 guy TE with MM. It’s possible Pitts puts up similar numbers as last year. If they isolate him him against LB’s more this year he could be huge. A lot will depend on the effectiveness of London. Ridder may get in there at some point.

Without answering the question in the post, I find for myself over the years that I am good doing certain things and not so good doing others. For example, I am generally good at drafting RB. And I still am more comfortable drafting them early. Because of that, I usually have to be able to cobble together a WR3BC. I also haven’t had good luck waiting on TE, so I would be inclined to take one early (even too early). I also have found I can find playable QB late (even streaming off the waiver wire). The point being, people should be able to use past experiences drafting to figure out what they are most comfortable with.

I'm not taking any TE over Lamb, but I'm 100% all-in on Lamb, I think he is primed for a huge breakout, and wouldn't be surprised if he was better than Chase, let alone Diggs or Adams.

I'd have no issues taking Kelce or Andrews over Evans though. Similar (or better) production at a more valuable position.

Perhaps its due to my love of Lamb, but I think Schultz is being overrated, I don't see him as different or better than the likes of Hockenson or Goedert, but he seems to be the consensus over them.

The guy at TE who I think is being slept (relatively) on is Darren Waller. The Raiders are going to a pass heavy team, and Waller has seen tons of doubles since his breakout, with Adams on board, those are gone. I think Waller could have a career year this year, especially in the TD department. Much like Andrews was considered a top guy last year, but still later than he should have, I think that's Waller this year.

Perhaps its due to my love of Lamb, but I think Schultz is being overrated, I don't see him as different or better than the likes of Hockenson or Goedert, but he seems to be the consensus over them.

Hock is interesting because his PPG last year before the injury were very good. The question with him is can he remain healthy.

Schultz should be dependable given the lack of targets for Dak...that is one reason why many people are targeting him including myself.

Dalton Schultz

-Offense lost a lot of targets and 2 starting WRs, lot of talk about expanded roles but this guy has a legit chance this year to have his "Career Year"

63/615/8TDs in 2020 turned to 78/808/3TDs

Targets jumped from 89 to 104 last year, maybe you could see what 120 targets looks like in your projections.

Terribly upset at Knox only being referenced once in this thread. I'm looking for him to build on last year.

Terribly upset at Knox only being referenced once in this thread. I'm looking for him to build on last year.
I think the community has soured on Knox and turned the value to Gabriel Davis as the target hog eating into Knox's TD potential. His fantasy output was heavily influenced by his TDs.

Cole Kmet has been mentioned and if Fields had time to throw it downfield, I'd be nabbing him late but I don't see it happening. He may get peppered with targets, but there is virtually zero TD upside for me because I think the Bears are a bottom 5 team.

Ertz is a guy I'm targeting late in drafts. I think James Conner sees less scores and Ertz sees more. I understand everyone is high on Marquise Brown, but I see Ertz benefiting from the absence of D. Hop too. He finished 5th in TE rankings and Hopkins is gone for 6 games. If he manages to vulture a couple Redbone TDs from James Conner... I could see him finishing top 4-5 again. I think I got him in the 13th or 14th round as a backup?

Ultimately, the TE carousel is a difficult ride and I've been on it plenty. I'd rather chase youth and upside at WR in rounds 5-10. I think WR is relatively deep and there isn't a ton of separation between Michael Pittman and Elijah Moore for me. I agree, I think Pittman seems every bit of a stud but the difference in points Andrews should/will score versus the Pittman owner's TE is going to be more significant week in and week out versus that of Pittman versus Elijah Moore/Devonta Smith/etc.

I draft 6 WR's and hope to catch lightning in a bottle (Jamarr Chase/Justin Jefferson/Cooper Kupp in years past didnt go in the 2nd or 3rd) and get a reliable TE.

hink the community has soured on Knox and turned the value to Gabriel Davis as the target hog eating into Knox's TD potential. His fantasy output was heavily influenced by his TDs.
Wasn't Davis getting the Sanders targets and that's where the hype was coming from in terms of increased production?
I can see the argument against continued td success, and it's a big flashing one, but he's Allen's redzone target and
just getting into that time when it traditionally clicks for tes. And it's not like he didn't manage 50/500 like every other schmuck on top of the scoring.

But this year is very much TBD, and for all the grief I caught last year for taking Pitts in the 5th, it amazes me to see people taking him in the 3rd & reaching for him in the 2nd like it’s cool.

I have MM in that rebuild league, so I’m hoping you’re correct because I want to sell MM for a profit.
I have the over under on MM blowing a gasket at 3rd quarter of 2nd game, so get a moving.

Personally, I think the MM plan was madness from the jump, but Ridder should be able to hit the biggest target in the league.

Wasn't Davis getting the Sanders targets and that's where the hype was coming from in terms of increased production?
I can see the argument against continued td success, and it's a big flashing one, but he's Allen's redzone target and
just getting into that time when it traditionally clicks for tes. And it's not like he didn't manage 50/500 like every other schmuck on top of the scoring.
Oh, I'm not saying you aren't right. I think Knox has a great shot at eclipsing his 10th round ADP. I'd also agree that he is Josh Allen's redzone target and don't necessarily see that changing. I'm actually not that high on Gabriel Davis and would much rather have a piece of the Buffalo passing game by way of a 10th round pick, who was 2nd only to Diggs, in snaps.

Truly, if there was any major name from last year poised to crack the top 5 in TE scoring... it's reasonable to believe it would be Knox. If you're taking a late round flier, he's as good of guess as anyone to hit.

Truly, if I had to plant a flag for two guys to jump into the top 5, it might be Knox and Goedert. Dallas Goedert has a pretty high yards/route run average. Knox is a redzone target. However, on this holiday weekend the bourbon flows like wine and the ideas flock to me like the salmon of Capistrano. I took Mark Andrews and if he passes you in the 3rd and you take a WR... I think you're making a huge blunder.

10 team standard league.
Your strategy should be largely dependent on your roster requirements in regards to how many positions/players you start weekly. Is it a qb-2rb-2wr-1 TE-1 flex-1 kicker-1 def league? The reason I ask is this: the fewer players that are in your required weekly starting lineup—the more the advantage of having a premium player in positions like qb and te are worth. If you have a league where you have 2-3 flex spots—the advantage of paying a steep price to have an elite te is most likely going to be washed away by the fact that you’re probably going to end up with a weaker 2nd or 3rd WR or weaker 2nd or 3rd rbs that you will be forced to start on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread