What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jake Ferguson, DAL (1 Viewer)

According to Jim Nagy, Ferguson has the most natural hands of any prospect in the draft.

Being an elite pass-catching tight end has become a dying art, especially in the NFL. You still have Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, George Kittle and now Kyle Pitts has joined the picture after 2021, but it’s not as deep as in previous generations. A couple of guys that have the chance to make an impact in 2022 are Colorado State’s Trey McBride and Wisconsin’s Jake Ferguson. Jim Nagy believes that Ferguson (6'5"/244) has the most natural hands of any prospects in the draft and has the ability to catch anything. McBride was the one with the stats this season, but Ferguson is on that same level and a team should not be scared to grab him if he’s available. They should both be great Day 2 picks.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy

Feb 19, 2022, 1:06 PM ET

Cowboys selected TE Jake Ferguson with the No. 129 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Ferguson (6'5/250) broke out as a redshirt junior with a 30-305-4 receiving line in seven games. Although his raw stats were fairly unimpressive, Ferguson produced 24% of Wisconsin's receiving yards and 40% of their touchdowns. He wasn't quite as involved as a redshirt senior with a 22% yardage share and 27% touchdown share, but his 2021 campaign did earn him a selection on the first-team All-Big Ten team. Ferguson unfortunately disappointed at the Combine with a 4.81 40, a 31-inch vertical, and a 9-foot-10 broad jump. Projecting as an inline tight end, Ferguson profiles as a reserve who offer fill-in fantasy value in the mold of Tyler Conklin. He offers the Cowboys depth as a rookie and could eventually take over as a starter if the Cowboys don't reach an extension with Dalton Schultz.

Apr 30, 2022, 1:17 PM ET

I grabbed him in a couple drafts because of the offense around him and the fact that Schultz's status was sorta up in the air.  Got him fairly late in the drafts I took him, so seemed like a pretty solid dart throw.  Glad to hear there's a bit of buzz on him now.

Michael Gehlken
@GehlkenNFL

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy on rookie TE Jake Ferguson: “He’s such an instinctive, tough football player. That’s what we really liked about him coming from Wisconsin, and he hasn’t disappointed. He’s scrappy. He’s on the edge. He’s chippy. The young man can play.”
------------------------------------------------
Jon Machota
@jonmachota
Cowboys rookie TE Jake Ferguson continues to look ready to make an immediate impact

LINK to video

Jake Ferguson caught 4-of-6 targets for 40 yards and a touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 6 loss to the Eagles.​

The towering rookie tight end showcased his athleticism on his fourth quarter touchdown grab, shaking free of tight coverage on a crossing route with a spry reversal to find the end zone for the first time in his short career. The six targets were the third most on the team on a day backup quarterback Cooper Rush was asked to throw the football 38 times. Fellow rookie tight end Peyton Hendershot added five targets of his own against the lockdown secondary of the Eagles after starting tight end Dalton Schultz was a surprise inactive after being removed from the injury report on Friday. Neither can be counted on for weekly value moving forward.
Oct 17, 2022, 12:49 AM ET

Anything to see here with Ferguson? Trying to get a feel for dynasty value. Obviously his value would go up if Schultz leaves in free agency, but how likely do we think that is?

Anything to see here with Ferguson? Trying to get a feel for dynasty value. Obviously his value would go up if Schultz leaves in free agency, but how likely do we think that is?

I’ve assumed he’s been gone since Ferguson and Hendershot showed their stuff in preseason. They can save money there and they will imo.

Shultz also alienated a lot of fans with his political stances on Twitter. Texas is a different world.

I'd say greater than 50-50 chance Schultz is gone. Its much more important to keep Pollard, and Lamb is due an extension this offseason or next.

I'd say greater than 50-50 chance Schultz is gone. Its much more important to keep Pollard, and Lamb is due an extension this offseason or next.
I like/own Schultz and I hope he gets a good gig somewhere. Seems impossible to me that the Cowboys would franchise him at $11 million. There's a lot of unknowns in the Cowboys receving game going into next season, but Ferguson feels like he could be a scratch-off lotto winner. Wish I had stashed Hendershot too.

I like/own Schultz and I hope he gets a good gig somewhere. Seems impossible to me that the Cowboys would franchise him at $11 million. There's a lot of unknowns in the Cowboys receving game going into next season, but Ferguson feels like he could be a scratch-off lotto winner. Wish I had stashed Hendershot too.

Yeah, imo in typical Cowboys fashion they play the guy who gets paid the most over talent. At the same time Shultz was more experienced and proven to start the season and could be trusted more.

With that said, Shultz isn’t spectacular. He is a very sure handed receiver, can get in the way on blocks but isn’t nearly as dynamic and Ferguson and Hendershot appear to be.

Wonderful timing @Faust. I was just thinking about Fergusen today. What's general opinion on DAL TE1? Are we likely to see both guys getting reps and one could run away with it or will both be doomed to a committee?

My bet is on Ferguson being the most valuable in ff. Simply because I had him rated higher coming in as a rookie than the rest.

The Athletic's Jon Machota expects Cowboys TE Jake Ferguson to start in 2023.​

Dallas moved on from former starter Dalton Schultz, who departed earlier this offseason for Houston. The team drafted rookie tight end Luke Schoonmaker in the second round of the NFL Draft but he has missed the majority of organized team activities while tending to a foot injury, leaving the door open for Ferguson to assert control over the starting tight end role. Ferguson started eight games in his rookie season and caught 19 targets for 174 yards and two touchdowns. While the team also moved on from the tight end-friendly scheme of previous offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, the starter in Dallas likely carries fringe fantasy value in 2023 considering the high-powered nature of their offense.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 17, 2023, 1:16 PM ET

The Athletic’s Jon Machota says Jake Ferguson is “the clear No. 1" TE for the Cowboys.
Rookie tight end Luke Schoonmaker was expected to challenge Ferguson for the starting job in training camp, but Schoonmaker has been sidelined as of late as he deals with a plantar fasciitis injury. Ferguson started eight games for the Cowboys last season and finished with a receiving line of 19-174-2. As Machota notes, Ferguson should see a significant uptick in targets with Dalton Schultz now in Houston. Ferguson faces stiff target competition in the form of CeeDee Lamb, Tony Pollard, and Brandin Cooks. Still, he plays a position that offers little fantasy upside and is worth a late-round flyer when you consider Schultz’s back-to-back top-12 fantasy finishes.

He looked like a poor man's Aaron Hernandez to me last season, especially with the ball in his hands. Very twitchy in tight spaces. There were questions about his athleticism coming out of college from what I remember, but he jumped off the screen every time I watched him play last year. Definitely worth a swing, I believe he could become something special.

This guy has been getting fed by Dak and Dak can't stop talking about how he's going to feast this year. Had some dropped passes in the rain Week 1 but caught a TD in Week 2 and almost got another one later in the game. Def getting the targets on what should be a strong team. Offense hasn't needed to do much yet either.

He looked awesome today - should be cowboys # 2 receiving option and I think Dak is going to keep peppering him with targets

Picked him up and dropped him in numerous leagues. That's just how it goes. Looks like a reliable tight end option but I'm still not overly convinced given the offense.

That said, why not?

I suck at this.

It seemed that Jake is Dak's first read inside the 20, especially inside the 10.

I started Jake vs. Seattle this past week and was particularly attuned to which way Dak was looking and who Dak was looking for at the snap of the ball.
Several plays Jake was covered and that's OK.

At TE, all I can really ask for is opportunity.

I've got a lot of picks at the top of the draft this year, but Ferguson has basically given me a reason to be able to ignore the lure of Brock Bowers.

He's a really good player.

I've got a lot of picks at the top of the draft this year, but Ferguson has basically given me a reason to be able to ignore the lure of Brock Bowers.

He's a really good player.
Factoring in age, I'd be comfortable taking Ferguson around TE5 in a start up, and happily grabbing him everywhere possible around his current ADP of TE10. Schoonmaker's done nothing to make me think it's not Ferguson's job to lose moving foward. And Ferg is Dak's second read on nearly every play, sometimes first in the RZ like Mr. Blonde said. The team and Dak have a history of heavily involving TEs, and they all talk him up every opportunity they get. Considering they started Schultz his entire rookie year, he's doing all this with his first real opportunity at age 24. Maybe it gets recognized more once we hit the offseason, but in dynasty, I'd be looking to buy him everywhere for less than half the price of the flashier names and aging vets. If he can improve his game even more, which I think is very possible considering his age, he could be a top TE for a long time. Likely Dak gets extended too this offseason.

Pro Bowl TE Jake Ferguson ready to ride on from Cowboys' season-ending loss: 'You can't look back'

Excerpt:

Ferguson played a vital role in the Cowboys' explosive offense, generating 761 yards on 71 catches (both second on the club behind CeeDee Lamb) to go with five touchdowns. His 40 first downs were seventh-most among all tight ends. The 25-year-old said his Year 2 leap came because of the chemistry built with Prescott during the offseason and practice sessions.
"I think a lot of it became a sort of routine after practice," he said. "If we hit something in practice and maybe I don't connect or I don't catch the ball or it hits off my fingers, or a yard too deep or a yard too shallow, with him after practice and making sure we get it right. Hitting those reps. Making sure that OK, when we get here on Sunday, it's lights out, we don't even have to think about it. And when you start to get that chemistry going, and not only that on the field, but also just the brotherhood that you create with your teammates, that's also very good, and I think that had a really big play in our chemistry this season and it's going to have a lot to do in the future as well."

Users who are viewing this thread