What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jonnu Smith, Miami (2 Viewers)

Jonnu has had an excellent spring and built upon his perfect reputation. Mularkey said he never has to tell him to do something twice and everyone noted how "cut" he was. He's bigger, stronger, faster this year after working with a personal trainer in February and recently before camp. Vrabel called him "as advertised." Moments later he said something like "we set high standards and he exceeds them. Great young man."

There's not a lot of talk of him as a player yet in 2018.

He has backed up Delanie. He has learned the FB spot. He has lined up wide.

Last year he established himself as one of the best downfield blockers in the NFL with his "ya gotta see it" punch technique and during the spring he was complimented for outstanding downfield blocking. He did well as an in-line blocker largely next to Lewan. That's not an easy spot as the speed rushers try to get around you there and to step in as a rookie is pretty impressive.

He made 2 or 3 very nice catches. Probably had a dozen or so ordinary catches. I do remember a couple drops too. Not a lot to go on for receiving for FF.

In the spring, at a presser, he told Delanie he's coming for his spot and Delanie smiled and said he wouldn't have it any other way. They're close and even so I found that exchange interesting.

This should be the year he pushes the incumbent. Delanie is still one of the best in the NFL though. As they switch away from multiple TE sets on 60% of the plays, he is more likely to get less receiving opportunities not more.

If Mularkey was there, this could be Jonnu's year for FF but I've been thinking that the switch to Vrabel means he's going to have to wait til year three to show the world what he can do.

Yesterday a big monkey wrench was thrown- Delanie was signed to a big two year contract. The guarantees pretty much dictate that he is a Titan in 2019 and could be cut/traded/released before 2020. We'll have to watch. Crazier things have happened than having Jonnu step up anyway. I think it puts a damper on him for FF though. Walker is Mariota's most trusted target and there's absolutely no reason to bench him. 

I was really hoping Jonnu would get more snaps this year. Walker's new contract puts a damper on that projection. Jonnu may burn a spot on dyno benches for another 1-2 years before he becomes a reliable starter. This looks like a Greg Olsen and Trey Burton situation. 

I was really hoping Jonnu would get more snaps this year. Walker's new contract puts a damper on that projection. Jonnu may burn a spot on dyno benches for another 1-2 years before he becomes a reliable starter. This looks like a Greg Olsen and Trey Burton situation. 
yeah I traded for him about 3 days before Walker signed his deal. but remember, Walker is getting older and Smith is impressing. 

I do think he may burn a roster spot for another season. it'll be interesting to watch what the titans do with play calling. I'm not giving up yet, but I am not expecting much for 2018, maybe 2019

An understatement. I will be cutting him in any dynasty league where he is not on the Taxi Squad. Can't burn a roster space for another year.

I've got 26. I'm trying to find a way to keep him and 18 looks promising. he might be a cut in 19 as I have 7 draft picks (and I had 7 this year too)
Yeah, at a 26 roster I might do it. At 25 he is a luxury of burning a roster space I don't think I can afford.

I just took over a team in a dyno league with some other fbg guys.  small rosters.   Can only carry 20 players in season and keep 15.  After the news broke on Walker, I traded Jonnu for the 3.07 pick in the upcoming 5 round rookie/fa draft.  With roster sizes that small, can’t burn a roster spot for a part time TE, no matter how good he looks.  Might be 2020 before he hits his potential.  Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!

I just took over a team in a dyno league with some other fbg guys.  small rosters.   Can only carry 20 players in season and keep 15.  After the news broke on Walker, I traded Jonnu for the 3.07 pick in the upcoming 5 round rookie/fa draft.  With roster sizes that small, can’t burn a roster spot for a part time TE, no matter how good he looks.  Might be 2020 before he hits his potential.  Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!
Dumping Jonnu for the 3.07 was a wise move. Plenty of better prospects will be available there. 

I'm surprised at the gloom and doom. Walker is the same age as Olsen. Same contract length now. People are seeing Ian Thomas as a great option behind Olsen but dont see the potential for Jonnu, who is the same age as Thomas but more experienced as a TE and in the NFL. 

I'll hold him and look forward to him eventually over taking Walker either from Walker losing a step or from injury. And I am confident I wont have to wait until 2020. 

As I said, 2019 will be tough as I may need the roster space, but I can figure that out when the time comes and maybe swing some trades. I'm liking Smith's outlook in dynasty. Sure a little less than I did a week ago, but just because Walker is signed through 2020 with a potential out after 2019 doesnt mean Smith is hot garbage. Both Smith and Walker can line up anywhere. and Walker still is a 34 year old TE

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at the gloom and doom. Walker is the same age as Olsen. Same contract length now. People are seeing Ian Thomas as a great option behind Olsen but dont see the potential for Jonnu, who is the same age as Thomas but more experienced as a TE and in the NFL. 

I'll hold him and look forward to him eventually over taking Walker either from Walker losing a step or from injury. And I am confident I wont have to wait until 2020. 

As I said, 2019 will be tough as I may need the roster space, but I can figure that out when the time comes and maybe swing some trades. I'm liking Smith's outlook in dynasty. Sure a little less than I did a week ago, but just because Walker is signed through 2020 with a potential out after 2019 doesnt mean Smith is hot garbage. Both Smith and Walker can line up anywhere. and Walker still is a 34 year old TE
One big difference is Olsen flirted with retirement this year. Walker pretty clearly isn't considering retirement right now.

As these guys age, (IMO) they become more prone to injury also.  In a 24 player league or less, I'd probably ww him (borderline).  25 or more, he's a keeper with an eye on the future for me.

I love the guy and feel a bit of homerism when I say he could be the best TE in last year's class but opportunity isn't there for FF. Delanie appears to be one of those freak athletes that has a secret fountain of youth in his house. There's no blame for the Titans GM here or offensive staff. They should have drafted a TE because Delanie was old and they should go with the best player. 

If that's a rookie low for blocking, the guy is gonna be all set and most rookie TEs aren't good at blocking. He shows nice hands and speed to get out in front of the runner or open deep. Mental aspect, work ethic...he's got whatever I wanted in a TE. 

One big difference is Olsen flirted with retirement this year. Walker pretty clearly isn't considering retirement right now.
yea but both were extended in 2018, Olsen was given an even bigger contract than Walker (potentially)

As these guys age, (IMO) they become more prone to injury also.  In a 24 player league or less, I'd probably ww him (borderline).  25 or more, he's a keeper with an eye on the future for me.
exactly this. 25 or more I dont see why someone wouldn't want to have 3 TEs. in that case why not Smith? I'm going to do everything in my power to hold him. hes going to be something special 

Last year I had to drop Smith. I had Engram as the #1 TE on my board. I watched David and Howard get picked and Engram fell to me at 8 and I just couldn’t pass him up. I’m a Walker owner and I’m hoping the Smith owner drops him at some point this year.

Fleener is the TE I will be dropping however I do plan to grab Burton in the 1st as well.

Tex

Two days of an offense almost entirely with Jonnu in motion and then the backup TEs doing the same. It's been extremely effective and helped the OL possibly even the fix the OL needed. It might also allow them to move on from missing the FB.

I don't know what to think of it with Delanie being out so much. Wait and see before any leaps on anything here.

Very little slot the last two days.

I just wanted to put a note out there so y'all can look for articles or news. No leaps please. Let's see how this develops and plays out.

Two days of an offense almost entirely with Jonnu in motion and then the backup TEs doing the same. It's been extremely effective and helped the OL possibly even the fix the OL needed. It might also allow them to move on from missing the FB.

I don't know what to think of it with Delanie being out so much. Wait and see before any leaps on anything here.

Very little slot the last two days.

I just wanted to put a note out there so y'all can look for articles or news. No leaps please. Let's see how this develops and plays out.
Is Delanie banged up? Thx for the update  

https://atozsportsnashville.com/tennessee-titans-jonnu-smith-will-matchup-problem/

"Smith seemed to struggle at times last year in that area of his game, but he says it is definitely improving and headed in the right direction. “I feel like [my blocking] getting there, it’s progressing. That’s just what I’m going to continue to keep doing, getting better every day, working on every element that comes with blocking—hand placement, my footwork, angles, striking. A lot of people think that to block, you have to be a big strong guy, but it’s really about angles.”

That's always Step 1 IMO in getting onto the field is being a solid in-line blocker. If that's greatly improved, he'll definitely be getting his opportunities and Vrabel comes from teams (New England & Houston) which are used to using 2 or even 3 TEs.

Is Delanie banged up? Thx for the update  
Vrabel doesn't give injury updates. Based on liveliness, smiles, and no limping or anything noticeable, reporters are figuring the Titans have a bunch of tiny minor injuries. I lean toward no here but he has sat a lot

https://atozsportsnashville.com/tennessee-titans-jonnu-smith-will-matchup-problem/

"Smith seemed to struggle at times last year in that area of his game, but he says it is definitely improving and headed in the right direction. “I feel like [my blocking] getting there, it’s progressing. That’s just what I’m going to continue to keep doing, getting better every day, working on every element that comes with blocking—hand placement, my footwork, angles, striking. A lot of people think that to block, you have to be a big strong guy, but it’s really about angles.”

That's always Step 1 IMO in getting onto the field is being a solid in-line blocker. If that's greatly improved, he'll definitely be getting his opportunities and Vrabel comes from teams (New England & Houston) which are used to using 2 or even 3 TEs.
Love this guy. When's the last time you heard a 23? year old talk like that?

The Titans had Craig Stevens and then Fasano so the top blocking TE in the NFL for like 9-10 years. He is worse but so is the rest of the NFL.

Cosell raved about him. How much he picked up in preseason and then how much each week. 

He is solid inline blocking and arguably the best downfield blocker in the league.

The Titans ran 56% of plays out of 3 TE set in 2016 and similar #S in 2017. They're actually trying to use multiple TEs less and feature the wideouts more. Mularkey was a TE and put way too much stock in them but...they're loaded at blocking TE. 

The Rams were 3 WR often. The Titans have been til recently. We gotta see how they tailor the new offense. It very much seems a work in progress

Love this guy. When's the last time you heard a 23? year old talk like that?

The Titans had Craig Stevens and then Fasano so the top blocking TE in the NFL for like 9-10 years. He is worse but so is the rest of the NFL.

Cosell raved about him. How much he picked up in preseason and then how much each week. 

He is solid inline blocking and arguably the best downfield blocker in the league.

The Titans ran 56% of plays out of 3 TE set in 2016 and similar #S in 2017. They're actually trying to use multiple TEs less and feature the wideouts more. Mularkey was a TE and put way too much stock in them but...they're loaded at blocking TE. 

The Rams were 3 WR often. The Titans have been til recently. We gotta see how they tailor the new offense. It very much seems a work in progress
Out of curiosity do you know how many snaps the Titans ran with 2 or 3 TE on the field?

How often did they use this formation compared to other teams in the league?

I don't know but I am guessing the Titans were in the top 5 of using this personnel group and while they still may be in the top 10 in 2018 as well, at least in a relative sense I would expect that they do not run 2 TE quite as much as they did with Mularkey.

They do need to spread things out and Mariota needs to play better than he did last year. He was pretty disappointing in the two games of the Titans I was able to see.

What games did you see? Mariota was on a bad wheel for most of the year. And had poor coaching for all of it. 

What games did you see? Mariota was on a bad wheel for most of the year. And had poor coaching for all of it. 
I would have to look it up as I can't remember off the top of my head.

Nationally televised games. What I am thinking about in my observations of MM (who incidentally I loved coming into the league) are games from last year when he was throwing interceptions and just generally did not look comfortable out there. He seemed unsure about where to go with the ball.

Out of curiosity do you know how many snaps the Titans ran with 2 or 3 TE on the field?

How often did they use this formation compared to other teams in the league?

I don't know but I am guessing the Titans were in the top 5 of using this personnel group and while they still may be in the top 10 in 2018 as well, at least in a relative sense I would expect that they do not run 2 TE quite as much as they did with Mularkey.

They do need to spread things out and Mariota needs to play better than he did last year. He was pretty disappointing in the two games of the Titans I was able to see.
I forget but it's 50% plus and was tops or second most in the NFL

Titans made roster moves at TE today. Guys that won't make the team but it adds more hmmm here

looks like Walker is out for the year. I guess we will see what he can do.

He's interesting.  Walker had 4 for 52.  Stocker had 2 for 37. 

Mariotta has liked the tight end in the past.  Now, with the injury, Gabbert sure isn't anything special and I can see him throwing a lot to the tight end. 

I doubt Smith does anything elite, but could have some solid weeks.

He's interesting.  Walker had 4 for 52.  Stocker had 2 for 37. 

Mariotta has liked the tight end in the past.  Now, with the injury, Gabbert sure isn't anything special and I can see him throwing a lot to the tight end. 

I doubt Smith does anything elite, but could have some solid weeks.
I bet he has a couple star weeks. 3? Whatever is normal for a stud rookie. (As I've compared him to)

TE is not a normal position for the backup to get noticed.  Jonnu has made oh 7? special catches? Had plenty of camp highlights each year. But Delanie almost never sits so Jonnu had to be the blocking TE, learn FB, and catch one pass during weeks where it was probably improbable he gets a pass. This full time starter, full time receiving TE, this is what he needs to grow and quite frankly what we all need to evaluate him. Everything else has been guesses on brevity.

I think he's going to be a special one. I don't know when though.

I believe (and many others) he is the best downfield blocking TE in football. Getting him out on routes could very well free up a WR for a longer run than they would have normally had after a catch. He has this awesome technique he uses from the 1950s called "the punch technique" and...you'll know it when ya see it. It's awesome. If he becomes famous, this technique will come back and be popular. Ya gotta see it, I've failed to word it too many times.

He's a definite wait and see guy but he could get an uptick this week. The Texans DEs are special as has been Delanie. They all take a step to bump the other every few plays. Like one step, bump into Walker, then a B line to the QB. Once in a while Watt or Clowney will fall back with Walker or Walker will take one on. Usually though it's a lot of bumps, maybe every three obvious passing plays. Prior OCs would use this and Walker would get some quick passes and/or pump fakes from the QB. I'd bet $ this annoyed Vrabel as the DC so he has to know now he's on the other side of it. We'll see, I'm stretching here having not seen the O truly yet, but I don't think this changes so give Jonnu maybe 3-4 more looks than normal this week-a very active week.

Walker is/was savvy as all could be. It's also possible this is above Jonnu and I'm wrong. Please don't bank on this

ESPN's Turron Davenport expects TE Jonnu Smith to see "plenty of opportunities" in Sunday's game with the Texans.

Smith was already a starter in Tennessee's scheme, but with Delanie Walker on IR, he's going to see a larger rest of season target share. A 92nd-percentile SPARQ, there's breakout upside for Smith on an offense built around high-percentage throws. Smith is stepping into a role that produced 74 catches in 2017. He has a streamable Week 2 matchup with a Texans defense that's coming off 123 yards and a touchdown to Rob Gronkowski.

Source: ESPN

Sep 15 - 4:04 PM

As an Olsen owner, I'm starting him with moderate confidence.  However, it sucks that Mariotta may be splitting snaps.

59 snaps and not a single target. Thought even someone with mediocre talent would be good bench depth in Tennessee’s system since they generally likehitting the TE. Not so much?

Anyone know how often he ran a route? 

Titans were down a few OL, I believe they were starting a rookie UDFA. Often when this happens they will use the TE more heavily to block. Not sure if that's what happened here but the previous week he got 2 targets on what I believe was his only drive after Delanie went down.

59 snaps and not a single target. Thought even someone with mediocre talent would be good bench depth in Tennessee’s system since they generally likehitting the TE. Not so much?
They did the classic no risk style for a backup QB. Gabbert only had 117 yards or so.

Marz did well as did Pamphile. Watt even went away from Marz which was quite the compliment...anywho, Smith flipped the side to where Watt was and did a nice job blocking.

Mariota updates will come late. Titans could have 3 tackles return this week. Gotta see because Jax's line would command help otherwise.

Henry's offense could negate that great secondary so I expect them to run it again. 

Its real uncertain especially because Lewan and Conklin represent a toughness Vrabel has, the Titans have, and they really havent shown. The Jags like to run against the Titans or chuck it deep. It could be a boring game or the two sides could open up their O. Its so hard to predict

I'm not done hoping on Smith. As long as the offense finally opens up, I do think he's going to be a part of it.

With Rishard part of a 3 WR set I'd have given Smith less of a projection but it's very possible he is the benefactor along with Taylor of Matthews leaving.

I've praised Smith before. Vrabel should love this kid. He wanted the blocking and pointed out Smith has been excellent since they were without two tackles. He should have earned his receiving reps but Vrabel has been such a hypocrite about guys he praises.

Despite a zillion quotes to the contrary, there still is this notion that the Rams don't use the TE so the Titans won't.

I have him on my FF team and havent given up. No one on the WW is any thing special and at minimum I need a bye week cover.

May I ask for who? I feel like there only maybe 15 or so TEs and the rest are all similar "hope they score" guys
A non TE, lol. All FFPC leagues so just going with my starter until I need to find a warm body. Have a lot of Kelce and his bye isn’t till 12 so have time. 

Had high hopes for Butt as well (Michigan fan) so I’m hoping he’ll start showing something and then I’ll grab him. Watson is my back up in a few. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Some awesome blocking today. Dropped 3? 4? Catches. Something is off though. He busts past his guy at the line of scrimmage and he is waiting a lifetime for a pass. By the time he gets it, the defender recovers and he has time to think/question himself. He has to be the first option or second on some plays. That 5th? Option stuff is not smooth.

He had outstanding burst off the line and got 2-3 steps on the D instantly. Maybe he needs some deep routes or the option to do so. Those curls are brutal. I'm certain they'll see it on tape.

He is NOT the lead blocker on swing passes. Major mistake by LaFleur he is awesome at blocking on the run. Hopefully now that Conklin has a game back, they'll let him do that. It'd be huge for Henry and Lewis

started due to Engram being out. Sucks. Was hoping to see something. Specifically targeted this guy this offseason. So far looks like a big miss

At least the rest of my Titans came through to give me the W

Vrabel said theyve got issues with Jonnu, gotta work that out. I'd bet its what I predicted would happen

Users who are viewing this thread