What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rico Gathers, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Cowboysfan8 said:
Witten is going to play a ton. Gathers will play for someone else and catch tds
He’s making the team. They’ve invested way too much (or many?) resources not to see it through. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you really like the Cowboys. A lot. 
I love Witten, that is for sure.

Just sayin.. he retired for TV, was unfortunately really bad at that.  Has nothing to do with liking the guy, he was awful.

Forced out, looks around and finds the Cowboys have need for an old serviceable TE.  Signs a contract for the same (or a little higher?) than he was at before.

In summary - he will do things to goats for this amazing chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Witten, that is for sure.

Just sayin.. he retired for TV, was unfortunately really bad at that.  Has nothing to do with liking the guy, he was awful.

Forced out, looks around and finds the Cowboys have need for an old serviceable TE.  Signs a contract for the same (or a little higher?) than he was at before.

In summary - he will do things to goats for this amazing chance.
Witten needs to discover a hobby

Rotoworld take:

Cowboys waived TE Rico Gathers.

A 2016 sixth-round pick after playing basketball, Gathers was entering the final year of his rookie deal and had made zero regular-season impact to this point in his career. He had a strong 2017 preseason, but it never translated to real games. The 25-year-old has three career catches across 15 appearances. Perhaps he'll get another shot elsewhere. Gathers has already been suspended for Week 1.

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

Aug 5, 2019, 7:14 PM ET

Choke said:
Hope the Steelers give him a look. Ben loves the tall targets and the Steelers don't demand much blocking from a receiving TEs.
ehh guy was more hype than anything. 4 years in the league and he has 3 catches for his career. Might be worth taking a chance on someone else

Dude, I want him to blow up more than anybody not named Mrs. Gathers but you're waaaaaay overhyping this guy. Let's see if he can muster up his first start in the NFL before we build his own wing in  Canton. 
Steady was the voice of reason a year and a half ago.

He still 6'8" and catching has never been a stated issue.
If he couldn’t break into the rotation with the TEs the Cowboys had the last couple of years where can he go and see playing time? Being 6’8” isn’t all that important of a trait for being a good TE.

Browns signed TE Rico Gathers.

TE/FB Orson Charles was cut in the corresponding roster move. Gathers was on the market a little less than a week following his release from Dallas. A former college basketball star at Baylor, Gathers has yet to pan out in the NFL, logging a mere three catches for 45 yards over 146 career snaps. He'll hope to make the squad as a blocking complement to starter David Njoku.

SOURCE: Cleveland Browns on Twitter

Aug 11, 2019, 12:18 PM ET

Browns signed TE Rico Gathers.

TE/FB Orson Charles was cut in the corresponding roster move. Gathers was on the market a little less than a week following his release from Dallas. A former college basketball star at Baylor, Gathers has yet to pan out in the NFL, logging a mere three catches for 45 yards over 146 career snaps. He'll hope to make the squad as a blocking complement to starter David Njoku.

SOURCE: Cleveland Browns on Twitter

Aug 11, 2019, 12:18 PM ET
meh

Obviously, Rico was never in danger of being cut. He's simply got too much potential. I've been critical of The Clapper, but he's not that dumb.

I said earlier Garrett might have a plan for Rico. That said, it doesn't change the fact he's been mishandled. Rico should've had PT with the 1s in preseason games to better gauge what they have.

There very well may come a time to cut him, but his rare athletic ability-to-size ratio warrants exploring to the fullest.

Rico remains a near-perfect deep stash in dynasty leagues.
Somewhere, Somehow, Football Jones is still stashing this guy.

You mentioned “trying”... 

Was just making a funny, no biggy. 
Understand, thanks.  I wasn't the one bringing up a thread like this to poke at someone because they whiffed on a player. You know, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks and such :)

I would think all of us have whiffed on dynasty players, or we aren't trying. 
I still contend Rico can play a pass catching TE role at a very high level. 

Maybe he can’t block, maybe he doesn’t study, maybe he’s an idiot. He has very good hands, Hes athletic and he’s enormous. Call the play, tell Rico exactly what route to run, break the huddle. 

Users who are viewing this thread