What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Trey McBride, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Trey McBride caught 4-of-5 targets for 55 yards in the Cardinals' Week 15 loss to the Broncos.​

McBride showed tremendous burst and an ability to create yards when he ripped off a 29-yard reception late in the fourth quarter. On the play, McBride caught the ball in space and turned it up field to shake and run through several defenders on his way to his best performance of the season. He's seen five or more targets in each of the last two games and is barely on the streaming radar next week against the Buccaneers.
Dec 18, 2022, 8:47 PM E

Trey McBride caught 7-of-10 targets for 78 yards and a TD in the Cardinals' Week 17 loss to the Falcons.​

McBride tied with Greg Dortch for the team lead in targets, good for a 25% target share. He either had a connection with QB David Blough or greatly benefited from the absence of DeAndre Hopkins. McBride also led the Cardinals in receptions and receiving yards. It was a very strong game from the rookie, who had mostly been running empty routes up to this week. He'll be a risky TE2 against the 49ers in Week 18, but this was a promising game for his long-term outlook.
Jan 1, 2023, 5:05 PM ET

Excited to start next year with him as my 2nd TE after Schultz (jeez, or 1st TE if Schultz doesn’t stay in Dallas and signs somewhere suboptimal). I’m glad McBride had a chance to show that he could really play before this season ended

I like him a lot - but Ertz has a big contract on the books and is likely not going anywhere unless possibly traded post June 1 - can McBride be a viable player as a 2d TE?

I like him a lot - but Ertz has a big contract on the books and is likely not going anywhere unless possibly traded post June 1 - can McBride be a viable player as a 2d TE?
Ertz is 32. Tore his ACL in November. It's further complicated by a torn MCL. His recovery will be slower than a straight forward ACL tear.

According to Rotoworld, The Cardinals can save 6.8 million by cutting him after June 1.

He may be back and play week 1. But there's a pathway to McBride being TE1 to start the season and maybe all season. No idea what to think of him for redraft. But certainly interesting in Dynasty after this past week's performance.

Every year in my 12 tm 27 man roster dynasty league, I get a mid to late season waiver claim that shouldn’t have been there in the first place. McBride was my lucky available claim this past year

Trey McBride caught 2-of-2 targets for 23 yards in the Cardinals’ Week 1 loss to the Commanders.

The “good": McBride was third on the Cardinals in yardage. The very, very bad: He was out-targeted 10-2 by Zach Ertz. Perhaps the Cardinals will adjust in Week 2 against the Giants, pivoting off Ertz’s catch-and-fall skill-set, but this offense is going to be ferociously conservative with Josh Dobbs under center. McBride is not a viable TE2 for the time being.

- Rotoworld

Adam Levitan
Think it was irresponsible to not trade Zach Ertz for whatever #Cardinals could get earlier.

Regardless, former Mackey Award winner Trey McBride will likely play roughly 100% of the snaps, as he should've all year.

Sigmund Bloom
Only three teams (KC, MIN, ATL - ironic, I know) have thrown to the tight end more than the Cardinals. Buy Trey McBride

Zach Ertz has been on my wire all season in each of my leagues so why is his back up a must add? I don't get it.

Zach Ertz has been on my wire all season in each of my leagues so why is his back up a must add? I don't get it.
Bc they were kinda splitting targets. McBride should now get all the targets he was getting himself (3 per game) + what Ertz was getting (6+ per game). He should produce moving forward.

Agreed he is a flyer and if you have roster space for a back up TE so be it. I don't like wasting 2 roster spots on TEs.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Kelce, but I don't think it's a stretch that he is a TE1 for the rest of the season.

With all due respect, what size leagues are we talking if Ertz is on your wires? I can see that in 10 team leagues, but the position being such a void, ertz was rostered in everything 12 teams and up. I'm not saying he or McBride is a stud but he's young guy on a team that will be in bad game scripts.

You could say same thing about Kincaid/Knox.

I would imagine in single PPR leagues he's a high quality flier at least. I play in 32 TE premium redraft/dynasty leagues and neither Ertz or McBride are available in a single one, and most of the rosters are 20 with one going to 22.

People started moving on McBride heavily last week in my leagues, he was available in several until last week. I can't speak for others but I started picking him up in a few leagues last week on notion Ertz stood a good chance of getting traded. Why they featured old Ertz so heavily coming off an ACL was confusing to me and for sure seemed like they thought McBride might not be good so I can see someone taking that angle and dismissing him, especially in a non-TE format.

But I'm a stout believer in the year two TE breakout theory. Arizona is 4th in the league right now in TE targets. McBride himself has mainly looked solid to me, nothing spectacular but that was never his game, just a guy that catches everything. But I will say he had that hurdle last week which was the most athletic play I've ever seen from him and we've seen a large amount of highly succesful fantasy TE's who don't wow you with athleticism.

Year two breakout theory, heavy target load which has high chance of sustainability since the team team trailing a lot and does not have a strong running game or a lot of weapons, getting Kyler back all at a barren position and my question would be more why would someone not take a flier on him then why.

With all due respect, what size leagues are we talking if Ertz is on your wires? I can see that in 10 team leagues, but the position being such a void, ertz was rostered in everything 12 teams and up. I'm not saying he or McBride is a stud but he's young guy on a team that will be in bad game scripts.
12 team ppr leagues, Ertz has largly been on the wire all year in all 4 leagues I am in

12 team ppr leagues, Ertz has largly been on the wire all year in all 4 leagues I am in
Fair enough, had a different experience here, not that it matters significantly but he was 54 percent rostered on CBS before yesterday

Pulled the trigger on McBride. He should see a ton of targets, Kyler is back soon and the Cards will likely be down a lot, leading to tons of passes.

Worth the risk imo.

Dropper Meyer for him in a 12 team. Went with the better QB (incoming) and the current TE targets ranking so high. He’s my Waller backup anyway. You guys have him over Meyer?

Dropper Meyer for him in a 12 team. Went with the better QB (incoming) and the current TE targets ranking so high. He’s my Waller backup anyway. You guys have him over Meyer?
That's what I'm debating now. Have Meyer on the bench behind Goedert. Wondering if McBride is a better option. Nothing about his 2022 stats screams must have though and the fact that my league mates have left him sitting there all day leads me to believe he's probably just a guy.

He's just a guy. But he's just a guy in a fantasy postion that's brutal to fill. Seems like he should get targets. That's a start for tight end production

Was surprised McBride was still on the WW in my competitive redraft money league today when I got him. Dropped a RB handcuff to secure him prior to LaPorta's week nine bye. Shame that McBride will be up against the stingy Browns D that week, but we can't always have it all. I'm excited about this pickup because the upside is huge if most or all of the Ertz targets go to McBride.

Who knows, maybe he'll tear it up the next couple of weeks and I'll shop LaPorta for another piece at a position I need. Or he'll be a "JAG" and I'll just dump him after he serves his bye week fill-in purpose. I got him for free today because my league slept on him, so I just can't lose.

That's what I'm debating now. Have Meyer on the bench behind Goedert. Wondering if McBride is a better option. Nothing about his 2022 stats screams must have though and the fact that my league mates have left him sitting there all day leads me to believe he's probably just a guy.
I just picked him up to back up Waller. My thinking is that I have my starter. This is a backup play, all the known quantities are taken, I'd rather play the upside and see if it pans out especially with Kyler due back hopefully this week. I picked up McBride just before Ertz was moved to the IR, that news clearly leaves me more comfortable with the pickup.

Of course, Waller is more likely to miss games (even now he is questionable with a hammy). Should I have need to start McBride at some point, and should he not have produced enough to inspire confidence, the same JAGS that are available today will most likely still be available.

TE's haven't done well against Baltimore, but it's not exactly a murderer's row of talent. Baltimore is hot, they are going to need to pass and Hollywood will likely be locked up. Think he continues his ascendance this week. 8 targets for 5 catches 60 yds and 1 TD.

McBride is definitely not "just a guy". Pretty talented. Top TE drafted last year. He had a decent little stretch towards the end of his rookie season. A 41 yard game, a 55 yard game, and a 78 yard game all within 4 weeks. Not earth-shattering, but solid. I was very surprised to see the ghost of Zach Ertz favored over him to start the season. Could be a slight arrow down, or could just be a team showing too much deference to the vet.

There's an interesting ceiling here now that Ertz is out of the picture. I think McBride has potential to become a Chris Cooley or Owen Daniels level TE, which is to say not elite, but startable in FF. Game script should favor his chances, though the QB situation is problematic until Kyler is back. Well worth a roll of the dice though.

One caveat I'll add is that it seems curiously hard for TEs to make the jump to real relevance. It's like there's a glass ceiling above everyone who isn't Andrews or Kelce. Some pretty talented guys have not been able to crack weekly relevance. I was high on people like Engram, Ebron, Njoku, and Hurst. It never really happened for them in FF. I could see that outcome for McBride because it's hard to break out of that 450-600 yard type of territory. And while I don't think he's a JAG, I don't think he has a Gronk/Gonzo/Kelce type of ceiling either.

Debating dropping pitts for him as my TE2. Will try to trade him first but I think Trey out performs him the rest of the way. Pitts schedule the only thing going for him

Been a revolving door for me at TE (Freirmuth, Higbee, Logan Thomas, Jonnu) and I’ve gotten basically nothing out of the position all year.

Strongly considering dropping Jonnu for McBride. Not sure he’ll hit it but McBride has upside based on his situation.

Picked him up to replace Goddard on his bye in two weeks, too bad it’s vs Cleveland. hoping the game script favors him, AZ seems to use the TE a decent amount.

Picked him up to replace Goddard on his bye in two weeks, too bad it’s vs Cleveland. hoping the game script favors him, AZ seems to use the TE a decent amount.
I’m doing the same thing while LaPorta’s on bye. If they target McBride 9 times and he goes 6 of 9 with 50 yards and a TD and gets us 17 points, we’ll be smiling.

BAL has given up the 2nd fewest points to TE in PPR

CLE (Wk 9) has given up the fewest points to TE in PPR

GLA

Users who are viewing this thread