What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tech / Gadget question - Need Help getting a Christmas present (1 Viewer)

CletiusMaximus

Footballguy
My son wants an iPod for Christmas. He already has a Kindle, but I understand this is a bit different in that he can easily take it with him, play his games and music, have a camera, etc. I think its mostly duplicative, but its what he wants so I am considering it. Many of his friends have iphones, and he's extremely jealous, but he's got no expectations of getting a phone yet. I guess he would have wifi access at home, but otherwise would just have offline use when he's away from home.

The 32 gb iPod is about $275, which is pretty expensive given what he's getting this year. I think the 16 gb is about $200.

Today my wife asked me if we could just get him a Nokia Lumina phone - The Lumina 635 is $45 unlocked. That way, he can have his games, music and camera, and we could eventually add service so he could also have a phone.

Does this make sense from a tech perspective or are we missing something? Appreciate any/all advice on this.

tia

CM

Well, if he's set on an apple device and his buddies have iphones/ipods, he may be disappointed with a windows phone.

I would just get him a unactivated Iphone 5 or 5s and then activate it when you feel he is ready. Can still use the apps, mp3 player ect.

I would just get him a unactivated Iphone 5 or 5s and then activate it when you feel he is ready. Can still use the apps, mp3 player ect.
Where is the best option to get one of these? I suppose it would either have to be unlocked or be through my carrier (US Cellular)?

thanks all

The 32 gb iPod is about $275, which is pretty expensive given what he's getting this year. I think the 16 gb is about $200.
Well, if you were considering a 16gb ipod for $200 I would definitely go the 16gb iphone 5 for $180 even if it were refurbished......

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-free-talk-text-and-data-with-apple-iphone-5-16gb-from-freedompop-1

... that one comes with freedompop(200min/500txt/500mb free each month) but they work on the sprint network and just so you know those phones can be unlocked to use with RingPlus. RingPlus has a deal right now where you get (1600min/1600txt/1.5GB free each month)..........

http://slickdeals.net/f/8370473-ringplus-mobile-phone-service-1600-minutes-1600-texts-1-5gb-lte-data-16-w-top-up-more?src=SiteSearchV2

Be warned that because all iDevices are designed so the battery can't be easily replaced you may have problems when the battery eventually dies. Being a refurb the battery will die sooner. It's kind of ridiculous people want devices where you need a special kit to simply replace the battery since they will all die eventually. Some people seem dedicated to supporting a disposable culture.

With an iPod Touch he's able to send text messages to friends with iphones via Apple's iMessages and he wouldn't be able to do that on a Windows phone without a cell phone plan.

Also, as someone mentioned the Lumia is a Windows phone so the app store is very limited, especially compared to iOS or Android.

Amazon has a few of the 32GB iPod touches (6th generation) for around $250.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon Fire 6 HD is $80.

A little bigger than a phone but good for video and music and would work with kindle amazon account

Get the iPod.

When the time comes for an iPhone sell the iPod.

I wouldnt buy him an iPhone now with thoughts of activating it later. 1. Battery is going yo be weak by then. 2. It will be outdated.

Wooderson said:
Get the iPod.

When the time comes for an iPhone sell the iPod.

I wouldnt buy him an iPhone now with thoughts of activating it later. 1. Battery is going yo be weak by then. 2. It will be outdated.
Plus buying an unlocked iphone is going to cost at least $500 unless you get it used.

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with the iPod, but am going cheap - found someone selling a (supposedly) new, unopened one on Craigslist and negotiated $150 for a 6th gen 32gb iPod Touch. He'll be happy, assuming I don't get shanked in the transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread