What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell Me Why This Wouldn't Work... (1 Viewer)

Stinkin Ref

IBL Representative
Monday (Day 1):

1.01 due 830 am est

1.02 due 900 am est

1.03 due 930 am est

1.04 due 1000 am est

etc

1.16 due 400 pm est

boom....drafting ends for the day....no more picks due

Tuesday (Day 2):

2.01 due 830 am est

2.02 due 900 am est

etc

2.16 due 400 pm est

boom...done drafting for the day

20 round draft done in 20 days....pick a day...done by 400 est every day

you would know the time before the draft even starts that each and every pick was due....lots of pre planning could be done

I know there would be problems/issues...list them....go... :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Monday (Day 1):

1.01 due 830 am est

1.02 due 900 am est

1.03 due 930 am est

1.04 due 1000 am est

etc

1.16 due 400 pm est

Tuesday (Day 2):

2.01 due 830 am est

2.02 due 900 am est

etc

2.16 due 400 pm est

you would know the time before the draft even starts that each and every pick was due....lots of pre planning could be done

We beat this horse a couple of years ago. The guys on the left coast didn't want to get up that early to make a pick.Someone also suggested assgining draft order East to West.

Monday (Day 1):

1.01 due 830 am est

1.02 due 900 am est

1.03 due 930 am est

1.04 due 1000 am est

etc

1.16 due 400 pm est

Tuesday (Day 2):

2.01 due 830 am est

2.02 due 900 am est

etc

2.16 due 400 pm est

We beat this horse a couple of years ago. The guys on the left coast didn't want to get up that early to make a pick.Someone also suggested assgining draft order East to West.
thats cool...whatever...could go 10-6 or 12-8

these are fine, who's complaining, we been doing these this way forever.
been some in the WSL2 thread....I don't have a problem with the way they go....but some don't like the waiting, not knowing when to check in....etc....realize the old school "we've been doing it this way forever" crowd will probably not want to change....but if any changes were going to be made this was just a suggestion....while I don't have a problem with the way they go now....I can certainly say I would be all for knowing exactly when my picks were due...it would eleviate some of the frustration of checking in and seeing very little if any movement...it can be days sometimes between picks....the expectation of a pick a day wouldn't seem to be too much for those that participate....

The folks that already check in a lot would probably like a schedule, but work and life would impact even more a smaller time frame.Folks that do not check in as often probably would not check in "on time" and the complaining would be even greater.I prefer the relaxed pace and realize that there is no rush.

However what happens if you know exactly when your pick is due and you are dragged into a meeting which lasts for an hour?Just leave them alone - if newbies are complaining > splain them Lucy

I would agree it couldn't be a global standard, but I think it is a great idea for anyone interested in a structured draft format. People could sign up as normal for the way it always been, but one league could be the structured format above and if it fills all 16 slots then it would run in the above structured way. I 16 pre-slot sign ups don't happen, then everyone is randomized together to run as it always was run.

However what happens if you know exactly when your pick is due and you are dragged into a meeting which lasts for an hour?

Just leave them alone - if newbies are complaining > splain them Lucy
1. predraft lists can always be sent to guy behind you just in case your time were to run out....he would not use it until your time expires...you would have all night the previous night to "plan" 2. after your meeting you would always be able to come back and make your pick at any time...but draft moves on...

the "not having access" at time of pick is obviously the only real issue....so it would just be up to each individual to manage the time around their picks.....whether that means sending lists or whatever....drafts would never be held hostage by 8 hour clocks....it might suck if you aren't able to plan ahead and you miss your pick and a few guys go (happens now anyway sometimes)....but at least 15 other guys aren't being affected....

just answering and playing devil's advocate...because of a few issues in WSL2, Bass has had to come in and say the clock might get reduced for everybody if we don't pick up our pace....so all 16 guys get "penalized" so to speak with a shorter clock because of the draft being held hostage on occasion....the pick a day plan alleviates this....

However what happens if you know exactly when your pick is due and you are dragged into a meeting which lasts for an hour?

Just leave them alone - if newbies are complaining > splain them Lucy
1. predraft lists can always be sent to guy behind you just in case your time were to run out....he would not use it until your time expires...you would have all night the previous night to "plan" 2. after your meeting you would always be able to come back and make your pick at any time...but draft moves on...

the "not having access" at time of pick is obviously the only real issue....so it would just be up to each individual to manage the time around their picks.....whether that means sending lists or whatever....drafts would never be held hostage by 8 hour clocks....it might suck if you aren't able to plan ahead and you miss your pick and a few guys go (happens now anyway sometimes)....but at least 15 other guys aren't being affected....

just answering and playing devil's advocate...because of a few issues in WSL2, Bass has had to come in and say the clock might get reduced for everybody if we don't pick up our pace....so all 16 guys get "penalized" so to speak with a shorter clock because of the draft being held hostage on occasion....the pick a day plan alleviates this....
Well at some point start a signup for YOUR draft format and see if you get 16 signupsOtherwise these drafts are what they are - NOT speedy, so relax .... IF there is a repeat offender, report them or of course all the guys in your draft could send him a PM or email each time he is up

@Ref - Seriously, as a freind bro - you need to chillThe WSL2 pace has been painful, I agree. I FEEL you. If I've learned one thing over the years of doing these, it is this: You can not will these things forward any faster. 8 hours is 8 hours. You HOPE others don't take all 8, but they get all 8 if they want/need it. Penalties will ventually apply and we move along.Personally I use TXT to keep it faster. When my draft mates on both sides play along, we fly right through.We could do a draft that requires you to be willing to TXT the OTC and I bet that would go pretty smooth.

@Ref - Seriously, as a freind bro - you need to chillThe WSL2 pace has been painful, I agree. I FEEL you. If I've learned one thing over the years of doing these, it is this: You can not will these things forward any faster. 8 hours is 8 hours. You HOPE others don't take all 8, but they get all 8 if they want/need it. Penalties will ventually apply and we move along.Personally I use TXT to keep it faster. When my draft mates on both sides play along, we fly right through.We could do a draft that requires you to be willing to TXT the OTC and I bet that would go pretty smooth.
hey...lol...I think people are taking this the wrong way....I am not all sideways about how these drafts go....I have been in plenty...the context behind this thread wasn't that I am pissed or complaining or anything...it was just an idea/discussion for when/if changes are ever made...the inconsistent pace bothers some more then others and if it ever got to the point where the pace started to make us lose quality participants, this could be a happy medium....I also like to use text and have been with Broncos and TL....Sinrman didn't want to exchange....cause I agree that helpsjust throwing out thoughts and ideas....not complainingit is however kind of funny to see the feathers of some get ruffled if god forbid somebody proposes some other ideas...start your own league and leave us alone....lol

Monday (Day 1):

1.01 due 830 am est

1.02 due 900 am est

1.03 due 930 am est

1.04 due 1000 am est

etc

1.16 due 400 pm est

Tuesday (Day 2):

2.01 due 830 am est

2.02 due 900 am est

etc

2.16 due 400 pm est

I may be cast ill formed rumors but....cough cough

LHUCKS

cough cough

peace

this is the same thread year after year.We either accept it is slow or we change it. There are days when I am on FBGs 20 hours a day and three picks are made. Then the next day some freakin hacker group with a hair up their butt launches a DDoS on my company's website and I don't even look at my cell phone for 24 hours. That is the day I am holding up the draft at the turn.Life happens.Football is.The Dude Abides.That being said, I have no problem with BnB chopping the time short in the alter rounds, it is how we do it at live drafts. And someone has to shepard this goat rodeo around and he is doing a fine job last year and this since the disappearance of Twilight.Still cant figure what the heck is chasing him though to run 50+ miles....must be that smoke monster from LOST.peace

looking at it closer, the flip-flop draft doesn't work well for this since people would not be picking at the same time each day. east/west coast timings would then get effected since west coast people couldn't always just pick late in the day and east coasters couldn't just pick earlier.it probably would have a better shot if just round 1 and 2 flip, then the rest is a straight draft. So just one time a person drafts at an off hour, the rest would be drafting at the same time each day.

'WisWolvrns said:
looking at it closer, the flip-flop draft doesn't work well for this since people would not be picking at the same time each day. east/west coast timings would then get effected since west coast people couldn't always just pick late in the day and east coasters couldn't just pick earlier.it probably would have a better shot if just round 1 and 2 flip, then the rest is a straight draft. So just one time a person drafts at an off hour, the rest would be drafting at the same time each day.
Nah...straight draft the whole way...left coast last.

'Stephen Holloway said:
The folks that already check in a lot would probably like a schedule, but work and life would impact even more a smaller time frame.

Folks that do not check in as often probably would not check in "on time" and the complaining would be even greater.

I prefer the relaxed pace and realize that there is no rush.
THIS.It's February folks. BARELY. We're months from a schedule or draft, let alone a pre-season game.

i don't believe the suggestion is concerned with speed as much as structure. as the above would greatly reduce the amount of spent checking to see if you are on the clock or soon to be on the clock. with a structure you would just have to log in to pick 20 times and be done. which makes for a very relaxed draft in my view as compared to the hit and miss picking. albeit such a structured draft definitely would not be everyone's cup of tea, thus the need for it to be an opt in instead of force upon method.

i don't believe the suggestion is concerned with speed as much as structure. as the above would greatly reduce the amount of spent checking to see if you are on the clock or soon to be on the clock. with a structure you would just have to log in to pick 20 times and be done. which makes for a very relaxed draft in my view as compared to the hit and miss picking. albeit such a structured draft definitely would not be everyone's cup of tea, thus the need for it to be an opt in instead of force upon method.
BUT ....you already have this available - at the top of the thread is WATCH TOPIC and one can sign up for immediate notification (getting an email for each response in the draft thread) so you would always know who made the last pick and how far away you are - you don't ever have to come to the site and check in if you don't WANT to

If I log in and i'm not up I try to post commentary about my own draft or others. keeping the discussion going is just as important to keeping people tuned in as the speed of the actual draft imo. Isn't the discussion the reason most of us are ridiculous enough to draft this early anyway?

The clock of 8 hours is way too long and should be 6 hours. I see no problem and no reason why it should not be 6. Just one time out is too much.

'valence said:
If I log in and i'm not up I try to post commentary about my own draft or others. keeping the discussion going is just as important to keeping people tuned in as the speed of the actual draft imo. Isn't the discussion the reason most of us are ridiculous enough to draft this early anyway?
This, people come in make a pick and are not heard from again. What is the point of this? To draft and discuss. People lose interest if the pace drags on, its all tied into just having a swift pace.

BUT ....you already have this available - at the top of the thread is WATCH TOPIC and one can sign up for immediate notification (getting an email for each response in the draft thread) so you would always know who made the last pick and how far away you are - you don't ever have to come to the site and check in if you don't WANT to
This works great if the draft thread is kept clean. I've done this the last 3-4 seasons. When you get 30 emails in a day and only 10 picks have been made it gets frustrating. Today has been awesome as the thread is very clean. Yesterday was crap. There is a reason we have 2 threads.

Users who are viewing this thread