What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tense interaction with a dog owner in a bar on my birthday - Photo of dog added to post 1 (1 Viewer)

Who was in the wrong?

• I was in the wrong because I didn't listen to and obey the dog owner's wishes

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • The dog owner was in the wrong for bringing his dog in there in the first place

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Both you and the owner were partially wrong

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Nobody did anything wrong

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Happy Birthday Willie

Votes: 57 62.6%

• Total voters
But what if the dog would’ve bit you after the guy said to stay out of his face/mouth. It becomes a very different conversation. Aggressive dogs should never be in bars/patios but drunk humans can also be dickish to animals.
I honestly thought he was upset because he thought I could get the dog sick if i got close to his face. Like he was concerned about covid or something. My pets to the dog were very gentle and i read the dog as being very happy with our interaction. If he was upset because he thought the dog may bite someone if they got close to his face then why bring him into a bar in the first place? I guess I'm not really sure why he was so upset to begin with. The music was pretty loud and he got mad almost out of nowhere from my perspective. When I saw he was miffed, I apologized and walked away.

But what if the dog would’ve bit you after the guy said to stay out of his face/mouth. It becomes a very different conversation. Aggressive dogs should never be in bars/patios but drunk humans can also be dickish to animals.
I’d still argue it’s on the dog owner for bringing a dog into a crowded and noisy bar on a Saturday night and setting it on a barstool at face level knowing it might be a biter if approached when he absolutely knew there would be inebriated (and possibly some dickish) humans present. Really stupid.

I honestly thought he was upset because he thought I could get the dog sick if i got close to his face. Like he was concerned about covid or something. My pets to the dog were very gentle and i read the dog as being very happy with our interaction. If he was upset because he thought the dog may bite someone if they got close to his face then why bring him into a bar to begin with? I guess I'm not really sure why he was so upset to begin with. The music was pretty loud and he got mad almost out of nowhere from my perspective. When I saw he was miffed, I apologized and walked away.
No answer for you but moments like that can go sideways quickly. Then there is a lawsuit and the animal ends up getting put down. I know that is a far stretch from what happened here but it does happen.

I’d still argue it’s on the dog owner for bringing a dog into a crowded and noisy bar on a Saturday night and setting it on a barstool at face level knowing it might be a biter if approached when he absolutely knew there would be inebriated (and possibly some dickish) humans present. Really stupid.
Not disagreeing at all. That’s why I voted both were partially in the wrong.

I honestly thought he was upset because he thought I could get the dog sick if i got close to his face. Like he was concerned about covid or something. My pets to the dog were very gentle and i read the dog as being very happy with our interaction. If he was upset because he thought the dog may bite someone if they got close to his face then why bring him into a bar to begin with? I guess I'm not really sure why he was so upset to begin with. The music was pretty loud and he got mad almost out of nowhere from my perspective. When I saw he was miffed, I apologized and walked away.
No answer for you but moments like that can go sideways quickly. Then there is a lawsuit and the animal ends up getting put down. I know that is a far stretch from what happened here but it does happen.
I hear you. The dog could have bitten me just wallking by him though. I had to pass pretty close to him just to leave the place. I would think it's odd that the owner would get upset because of a potential dog petter gets bit lawsuit when the dog could have bit a non-petter at any point in the evening. People were walking right by him to leave the bar the whole time he was there.

If there is any chance of that happening then I’m not bringing any of my dogs
into a bar. Which means I’m never bringing any of my dogs into a bar.

All of them would likely be fine but you never know so I’m not risking it.

If the owner was concerned about a potential bite, why wouldn't he have put his hand or something between me and the dog, or even gently pulled me away from the dog? He just stood there, suddenly steamed. I never considered the potential bite angle because the dog was such a sweetheart. Other people had been petting him. The group he came with were interacting with him. The dogs tail was wagging. I've pet a thousand dogs in my life and this one was about as sweet and happy as they come. That's why I assumed the owner's anger was about me potentially infecting the dog with covid or something.

I blame the hipster.

Any wank that teaches his dog to sit on a bar stool and brings said dog to a bar on a Saturday night is the ultimate in LOOK AT ME I HAVE A DOG THAT CAN SIT ON A BAR STOOL and then gets miffed when someone wants to pet the dog is wrong.

If that guy was a dog he'd be a Wankerdoodle.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. The dog owner was being a tool here. You can't bring your dog to a bar and then get all prissy over people wanting to pet your dog. Come on.
I mean, yeah clearly, but remember that Willie was trying to make out with his dog.

Probably better to just Google, but do animals catch and transmit covid? I mean other than the possum that raped that guy in Wuhan, or whatever the story is today.

Probably better to just Google, but do animals catch and transmit covid? I mean other than the possum that raped that guy in Wuhan, or whatever the story is today.
The virus that causes COVID-19 can spread from people to animals during close contact. Pets worldwide, including cats and dogs, have been infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, mostly after close contact with people with COVID-19. The risk of pets spreading COVID-19 to people is low.

I blame the hipster.

Any wank that teaches his dog to sit on a bar stool and brings said dog to a bar on a Saturday night is the ultimate in LOOK AT ME I HAVE A DOG THAT CAN SIT ON A BAR STOOL and then gets miffed when someone wants to pet the dog is wrong.

If that guy was a dog he'd be a Wankerdoodle.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. The dog owner was being a tool here. You can't bring your dog to a bar and then get all prissy over people wanting to pet your dog. Come on.
I mean, yeah clearly, but remember that Willie was trying to make out with his dog.
dog was complicit out of fear #metoo

Nothing in this is a big deal, but the "no contact with his mouth" thing is just weird for so many reasons.
I just can't really imagine the purpose of such a request. Maybe the hipster is a a germaphobe or worried about the dog biting, but none of that makes sense when he brought the dog to a bar.

Honestly, it sounds like you might have been more drunk than you are letting on.

I say that because I can't think of any other reason he might be worried that you would nose dive in for a kiss. That's pretty rare for a stranger to do, and almost no one would besides a kid or a really drunk person.

And unless it misinterpreted the telling, you did dive in close enough that you thought it might happen and he thought it did.

So, only conclusion is hipster is a goober and maybe you were a little drunker than you let on. And he doesn't understand what a good drunk you are.

Nothing in this is a big deal, but the "no contact with his mouth" thing is just weird for so many reasons.
I just can't really imagine the purpose of such a request. Maybe the hipster is a a germaphobe or worried about the dog biting, but none of that makes sense when he brought the dog to a bar.

Honestly, it sounds like you might have been more drunk than you are letting on.

I say that because I can't think of any other reason he might be worried that you would nose dive in for a kiss. That's pretty rare for a stranger to do, and almost no one would besides a kid or a really drunk person.

And unless it misinterpreted the telling, you did dive in close enough that you thought it might happen and he thought it did.

So, only conclusion is hipster is a goober and maybe you were a little drunker than you let on. And he doesn't understand what a good drunk you are.
OK. The dog was on a pretty tall bar chair and sitting up straight so when I stood next to him he's already at about chest level. When I went to pet him I bent over a tiny bit and leaned in a little because it was just natural to do when petting the dog. I would estimate my mouth to be about 2 feet from the dog's mouth. And it was the dog doing air kisses while I called him a good boy, I was not leaning in for a kiss. Could my face have been closer than 2 feet from his mouth? Maybe, but only because the dog extended his snout to me. Was I more intoxicated than I let on? I guess, but like I said earlier I neither drunk or 100% sober. The whole interaction lasted a few seconds and when the guy voiced his displeasure i immediately apologized and walked away. I was sober enough to see it was an awkward situation and I diffused it quickly by leaving.

OK. The dog was on a pretty tall bar chair and sitting up straight so when I stood next to him he's already at about chest level. When I went to pet him I bent over a tiny bit and leaned in a little because it was just natural to do when petting the dog. I would estimate my mouth to be about 2 feet from the dog's mouth. And it was the dog doing air kisses while I called him a good boy, I was not leaning in for a kiss. Could my face have been closer than 2 feet from his mouth? Maybe, but only because the dog extended his snout to me. Was I more intoxicated than I let on? I guess, but like I said earlier I neither drunk or 100% sober. The whole interaction lasted a few seconds and when the guy voiced his displeasure i immediately apologized and walked away. I was sober enough to see it was an awkward situation and I diffused it quickly by leaving.
Leaving the dog with blue balls and an inferiority complex

My guess is that you were probably a little more buzzed/drunk than you think or remember. With that said—I still don’t see it as being your fault. I see it as being a fault of the bar first of all. I personally would not go to any bar that allows animals to be anywhere aside from the ground. That dog should have been on the ground or under a table—no way should it have been sitting “at” a table. Lastly—as Joe said—the moment somebody seats their dog at a bar—they lose any right to get offended by anything that results from it.

I voted both wrong a little.

You were right in asking to pet the dog first, but should've listened when the owner said not to touch his mouth. If I told someone that and then they proceeding to do the opposite, I'd be pissed to.

I'm trying to think of why the dog owner did not want anyone touching the dog's mouth. It's possible the dog had some dental work done and any contact could be painful. Not sure.

I think the dog owner was wrong because if the dog had some sort of condition where people should not be touching its mouth, it should not be on a bar stool almost at human height. Maybe shouldn't even be at a crowded bar depending on the situation. The owner also should have let it go after you apologized.

You were right in asking to pet the dog first, but should've listened when the owner said not to touch his mouth. If I told someone that and then they proceeding to do the opposite, I'd be pissed to.

I'm trying to think of why the dog owner did not want anyone touching the dog's mouth. It's possible the dog had some dental work done and any contact could be painful. Not sure.

I think the dog owner was wrong because if the dog had some sort of condition where people should not be touching its mouth, it should not be on a bar stool almost at human height. Maybe shouldn't even be at a crowded bar depending on the situation. The owner also should have let it go after you apologized.
I did not touch the dog's mouth. The dog and I were face to face, probably about 18 to 24 inches apart, and the dog was doing air kisses while I petted the side of his head/neck and called him a good boy.

I did not touch the dog's mouth. The dog and I were face to face, probably about 18 to 24 inches apart, and the dog was doing air kisses while I petted the side of his head/neck and called him a good boy.
Maybe from his angle he thought you did or thought you were going to. If he's that worried about it, all the more reason to keep the dog on the ground.

Lol…..nosedive in for a kiss

After some googling, there are legit reasons why you would not want anyone to touch your dog's mouth. Dental pain is one of them. It could trigger them to bite you. Some dogs also just don't like it and will bite.

All reasons why the dog should've stayed home, or at least on the floor.

The dog probably has some really cool grillwork, like he was in Ja Morant’s posse or something.

Edit - this was typed by APK’s 14 yo son

My hunch is that if the OP were an attractive female there would not have been the least bit of controversy.

Just a hunch.

No doubt. That's the only legitimate reason I can see for not only bringing your dog to the bar, but putting him in a freaking barstool. And as much as I hate everything about it, it probably works.
Exactly. The dude most likely had no game and was using the dog as a prop for chicks.

Unless the bar was known as some sort of doggie day care so the pup could romp with others of his kind while the owners drank and socialized I can't fathom why else a dude would do that.

Wait. What prompted you to take a picture of this dog? The pic is from across the room, so clearly it was taken BEFORE encounter since all the excitement happened as you were leaving. I think there is more to this story than you are telling us, Willie.

Wait. What prompted you to take a picture of this dog? The pic is from across the room, so clearly it was taken BEFORE encounter since all the excitement happened as you were leaving. I think there is more to this story than you are telling us, Willie.
Yes, the picture was taken well before the encounter. I've been to this bar many times over the years and have never seen a dog inside, much less one sitting at the bar like that so I decided to take a picture. I sent it to a few other friends who know the place but weren't with us that night.

Your story reminded me of when my wife worked at a coffee shop years ago where a guy constantly brought his dog and they sat at the outside seating area. Problem was, he refused to leash the dog because he “well trained”.

The owner was asked many times to leash the dog or leave. He would leave and come back in a week or so and the dog was always unleashed.

One time the dog was barking and being aggressive and a customer called the police. Police showed up and the unleashed dog got aggressive with the police and the police pulled their guns. It was almost lights out for that dog. The owner jumped between the police and the dog and began swearing at everyone there. He got a ticket and never came back to the shop. Dog almost died because the owner was an idiot.

Second, I don't understand the hipster. What is he upset about? That the dog would maybe bite you? Me no get.
That was my guess based on demeanor of Dalmatians… maybe a pet is ok but aggressively going face to face is a risky situation. Still, even if that was what set him off, OP didn’t do anything more wrong than the guy who brings an unpredictable dog to a public barstool inviting interactions with drunk folks.

Last edited:
I just remembered I actually took a picture of the dog. I'll crop out the people around him.

I hope you complimented the dog on his excellent posture. He's not slouching, or hanging off the edge, but sits perfectly straight, at attention.
I know! That was part of the reason I took the picture. He sat like that the whole time he was there.

Users who are viewing this thread