What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tense interaction with a dog owner in a bar on my birthday - Photo of dog added to post 1 (1 Viewer)

Who was in the wrong?

• I was in the wrong because I didn't listen to and obey the dog owner's wishes

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • The dog owner was in the wrong for bringing his dog in there in the first place

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Both you and the owner were partially wrong

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Nobody did anything wrong

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Happy Birthday Willie

Votes: 57 62.6%

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
My birthday was this weekend and I was lucky enough to hang out with some friends all day Saturday. At the end of the day we decided to go to a local bar for a couple of nightcaps and a little food. We sit down and had a great time. At the far corner of the bar someone has brought their dog in and he (the dog) is sitting on one of the corner bar stools. It's a cute little dalmatian. We look at it and laugh at how cute the thing is sitting there at the bar. After an hour or two we are done and get up to leave. I have to pass by the dog and his owner on my way out. Well after a few drinks I can't resist and ask if I can pet the dog. The owner says sure and then something else but I honestly didn't hear anything after the sure part and went to pet the dog. The dog obviously likes to be pet and sticks his face up near mine (he's still sitting in a tall bar stool) and his tongue comes out for dog kisses or whatever. My face is close to the dog but we don't make contact. I'm a closet germaphobe and would never touch my mouth to a dog's mouth. I'm petting him for like 3-4 seconds maybe. After the 3-4 seconds the dog owner sternly says something to the effect of "Hey! I told you not to make contact with his mouth!" He's standing right there looking super miffed. I immediately stop petting the dog and apologize to the owner. i say something like "I"m sorry, I didn't hear you say that but I definitely didn't let the dog lick my face." He's super pissed off. He's a hipster type with large, perfectly manicured beard. I kind of say sorry again and walk out. My friends ask what that was all about and I say I wasn't completely sure as it happened so fast. Something about the dog's mouth. We had been drinking for a while and I wasn't 100% sober but I wasn't drunk either. We get in our Uber and that's the end of it.

So I wake up the yesterday morning and I feel bad about the situation. It's a bar that I really like going to and had a great time up to the last 5-10 seconds. Am I right to feel guilty about the situation? Did I disrespect the dog's owner by not keeping my distance from the dog's face while petting him? Is the owner in the wrong for bringing his dog inside a bar to interact with not completely sober, old people? I guess the bar has become more pet friendly with new ownership as they put in an outside patio and encouraged people to bring their dogs but this dog was inside the place sitting on a bar chair. I fairness to the dog he was extremely well behaved and a total sweetheart. I've never owned a dog so I'm wondering what dog owners here think of what happened? Was I disrespectful? That was the first negative social experience I've had in many years and I gotta say I feel a little bad about it still.

Last edited:
Seems like the owner overreacted imo.

Didn't vote, dog owner was in the wrong but not for what's stated in the answer.
Why you say he was in the wrong? Just because he overreacted?
Yeah, even if you were in the wrong there's no need to yell or look offended at that interaction imo. If he had told you "no, don't pet him" and you did, then it would be cause for that reaction.

I blame the hipster.

Any wank that teaches his dog to sit on a bar stool and brings said dog to a bar on a Saturday night is the ultimate in LOOK AT ME I HAVE A DOG THAT CAN SIT ON A BAR STOOL and then gets miffed when someone wants to pet the dog is wrong.

If that guy was a dog he'd be a Wankerdoodle.

Who puts their face near a strange dog’s face? Who teaches their dog to sit on a bar stool?

The whole situation is messed up.

Happy birthday?
In my defense the dog's face was already kinda near my face because he was sitting on that stool. I just had to hunch over a tiny bit to be near eye level with the dog and then when I petted him his head reached out toward me. The whole petting part seemed like a wholesome, normal interaction to me so i was surprised when the owner got miffed told me to back off. Based on his reaction I immediately apologized and thought i must have done something wrong to piss the guy off like that.

Voted "Happy Birthday Willie!" The dog owner was in the wrong, not for bringing the dog in necessarily (although I'm not a fan of that) but for his over the top reaction. Don't sweat it.

I'm all for dog-friendly restaurants/bars, but this is ridiculous. We have a dachshund that we'll take on road trips, and when we go to a restaurant, we look for dog-friendly places to eat. The dog gets short-leashed underneath the table, and we do our best to keep him quiet so we don't disturb other people. Frankly, allowing a dog to sit atop a bar stool and (I assume) level with where food being served is gross, and probably a health violation.

It's too bad you didn't get a close-up photo of the hipster and his "what a good boy! He's just like a human person!" dog, so that you could put the photo on Nextdoor for public shaming. Missed opportunity IMO.

I'm all for dog-friendly restaurants/bars, but this is ridiculous. We have a dachshund that we'll take on road trips, and when we go to a restaurant, we look for dog-friendly places to eat. The dog gets short-leashed underneath the table, and we do our best to keep him quiet so we don't disturb other people. Frankly, allowing a dog to sit atop a bar stool and (I assume) level with where food being served is gross, and probably a health violation.

It's too bad you didn't get a close-up photo of the hipster and his "what a good boy! He's just like a human person!" dog, so that you could put the photo on Nextdoor for public shaming. Missed opportunity IMO.
I do have a picture of the owner but I don't want to publicly shame anyone.

My reply about shaming was sarcasm -- I can't stand the people who do that on Nextdoor.

The photo you posted is pure "look at me!" The hipster probably gave his dog a human-sounding name like "Steve" or "David."

I blame the hipster.

Any wank that teaches his dog to sit on a bar stool and brings said dog to a bar on a Saturday night is the ultimate in LOOK AT ME I HAVE A DOG THAT CAN SIT ON A BAR STOOL and then gets miffed when someone wants to pet the dog is wrong.

If that guy was a dog he'd be a Wankerdoodle.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. The dog owner was being a tool here. You can't bring your dog to a bar and then get all prissy over people wanting to pet your dog. Come on.

My reply about shaming was sarcasm -- I can't stand the people who do that on Nextdoor.

The photo you posted is pure "look at me!" The hipster probably gave his dog a human-sounding name like "Steve" or "David."
I've resolved to call my next dog Frank or Steve, and I assure you I'm no hipster.

My money is on “Norm”.

You definitely did nothing wrong. It’s all on the dog owner who trained his dog to sit so nicely on a barstool in a crowded bar and then freaks out like that—-regardless of his “caveats” on petting it (that you couldn’t hear). It’s all on the dog owner.
Sweet dog, though.

But what if the dog would’ve bit you after the guy said to stay out of his face/mouth. It becomes a very different conversation. Aggressive dogs should never be in bars/patios but drunk humans can also be dickish to animals.

So if you name your dog a human-sounding name you're a hipster?! We have two dogs both with human sounding names. Wait until I tell the wife "Honey we're hipsters!" I'm growing a beard, buying mustache wax, etc.

Forget about the dog for a moment and just focus on the human interaction.

If someone sincerely apologizes (2x?) for something to another person, especially in an incident where no one / nothing was hurt or broken, then it is simple courtesy to accept the apology and move on.

Once you apologized the ball was in the bearded lady's court, and your side of the street was clean.

Users who are viewing this thread